DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Anyone try the CAD Stage 4 mic pack?

Hey all,

In an effort to sorta' clean up my practice room a bit by eliminating excess stands (and to treat myself every once in a while), I've decided to try the CAD Stage 4 microphone set and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hone_Pack.html

Yes, I know they're not like having Shure SM57s, Sennheiser 421's, or EV RE20s, but I thought I'd give them a try since I had so much good luck with CAD's Trion microphones. I think they're a brand that kinda' sleeps in the microphone marketplace and are slowly getting noticed by alot of people. Since they clamp to the rims I thought I'd try them out. I should see them by the end of the week (hopefully) and will post some .mp3's for you guys to hear.

If anyone has any insight please let me know if I made a mistake. My plan is take them straight into my Mackie 1604VLZ board which gives its direct out to my Zoom R16 recorder. My main overhead is a trusty AKG SE300B and I have an Audio Technica AT25 (?) on my hi-hat. Up until now I've used Shure SM57's exclusively on my kit for all the drums, but maybe these new generations of "for drums only" mic packs can fill the bill?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Anyone try the CAD Stage 4 mic pack?

I haven't tried this specific pack, but I've used CAD in the past and for the value, you cannot beat their mics. I think you're going to find something here close to a Beta52 and PG56s. Should sound pretty good. Only problem I had with CAD is a bit too much bleedover for my taste. I went with Sennheiser 604/602 and Shure SM57s and now have the isolation I prefer.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Pioneer Member

I haven't used their D series microphones but I use regularly their KM212 dynamic cardioid kick drum mic, 3 TM211 dynamic cardioid tom mics with attached drum mount clips, one SN 210 dynamic cardioid snare mic with attached drum mount clip, and 2 CM 217 cardioid mini pencil condensers. Basically what comes in their Pro 7 piece mic pack.

For the money they are a great option for me to not subject my higher quality microphones to the animals that I play with. A few years ago my Audix D6 got trashed when our singer accidently kicked a cup of beer into it.

The kick drum mic could benefit from some thoughtful EQing to scoop out the rest of the mids that are still prevelant. I use an Earthworks KickPad with mine.

I know that the mic pack you're considering doesn't have condenser mics in it but the CAD 217s are the best of the bunch. They have roll offs and are not overly bright for inexpensive condensers.

The mounts on the D series are the same as the ones I have so a word of caution. If you overtighten them on the rims then eventually they will fall apart.

For me, mine are perfect for the grungy club gigs and outdoor stuff and for peace of mind to not worry about damaging more expensive microphones.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
I haven't used their D series microphones but I use regularly their KM212 dynamic cardioid kick drum mic, 3 TM211 dynamic cardioid tom mics with attached drum mount clips, one SN 210 dynamic cardioid snare mic with attached drum mount clip, and 2 CM 217 cardioid mini pencil condensers. Basically what comes in their Pro 7 piece mic pack.

For the money they are a great option for me to not subject my higher quality microphones to the animals that I play with. A few years ago my Audix D6 got trashed when our singer accidently kicked a cup of beer into it.

The kick drum mic could benefit from some thoughtful EQing to scoop out the rest of the mids that are still prevelant. I use an Earthworks KickPad with mine.

I know that the mic pack you're considering doesn't have condenser mics in it but the CAD 217s are the best of the bunch. They have roll offs and are not overly bright for inexpensive condensers.

The mounts on the D series are the same as the ones I have so a word of caution. If you overtighten them on the rims then eventually they will fall apart.

For me, mine are perfect for the grungy club gigs and outdoor stuff and for peace of mind to not worry about damaging more expensive microphones.
I'll keep the mounting brackets in mind, thanks. Perhaps I should get the pack with the condensers so I don't subject my prized AKG SE300B and Audio Technica condensers to such abuse, eh? If they don't work out, they have a return policy and I still have all these SM57 and 58s lying around that I know do a good job.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Pioneer Member

Also, just to clarify, I have no experience with the D series. They may be better mics.

I think you can download the specs and diagrams from their website.

I use one of the CAD pencils under my ride and the other as a single overhead and they do just fine. I use an inexpensive MXL991 for my hats.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Pioneer Member

BTW, I'm assuming that you're wanting to try these for gigging, right? As studio mics, I wouldn't bother with them.

I think the best value/quality mic pack out there is the Audix pack that has the F series mics. A friend has them and they are almost as good as the I series (i.e. I5 and D6). In fact, I think they are modelled after them in terms of housings, munts and specs.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHAQ8gIwBA
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
BTW, I'm assuming that you're wanting to try these for gigging, right? As studio mics, I wouldn't bother with them.

I think the best value/quality mic pack out there is the Audix pack that has the F series mics. A friend has them and they are almost as good as the I series (i.e. I5 and D6). In fact, I think they are modelled after them in terms of housings, munts and specs.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHAQ8gIwBA
Obviously if I were going into the studio, I'd be paying for that and expecting them to have nice mics to use. But yeah, I'll try using them for both and see what I come up with - none of what I do at home will ever make me alot of money and I'm not a total hack when it comes to audio engineering. I've a few tricks up my sleeve if my employment record has anything to say about it. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge.