DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Silver Member

Default What ever happened to music...

Alot of my friends on Facebook have been circulating these bands about (some not even into metal) and I myself can only take some metal.

This isn't metal, this is just garbage though.

Check these awful bands out... Kinda like Arc Records of the rock world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiVAk...el_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66zwF..._order&list=UL
Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What ever happened to music...

They're just trying to bring metal to the masses.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 AM

Typical metalcore stuff. I think this style of music has probably peaked. Bands have been doing the mad guy/sad guy w/ breakdowns thing for awhile now.
I do like Underoath, Hawthorn Heights, From First to Last etc. which pretty much sound like these guys. I can listen to this stuff sometimes, not my favorite but its alright. The sound has become a bit played out though, especially when the drummer does a bass drop on every breakdown.

Most of my favorite types of music(classic rock, fusion, funk) were made from 1968-1982. I do listen to more modern music too. I don't wanna be one of those guys that live in the past. I don't like the production on most modern rock or metal albums thought. Its always so compressed & un-organic.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theindian View Post
Typical metalcore stuff. I think this style of music has probably peaked. Bands have been doing the mad guy/sad guy w/ breakdowns thing for awhile now.
I do like Underoath, Hawthorn Heights, From First to Last etc. which pretty much sound like these guys. I can listen to this stuff sometimes, not my favorite but its alright. The sound has become a bit played out though, especially when the drummer does a bass drop on every breakdown.

Most of my favorite types of music(classic rock, fusion, funk) were made from 1968-1982. I do listen to more modern music too. I don't wanna be one of those guys that live in the past. I don't like the production on most modern rock or metal albums thought. Its always so compressed & un-organic.
I like some of it too. Like August Burns Red and Converge etc. etc. But this is pretty awful, especially the second band. They're trying to be The Locust and Dillinger Escape Plan but instead just making noise. The first band is just.... Unbareable as is the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Yeah, it's all autotuned now too. Haha.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Shame on them Pol. Metal isn't meant to be for the masses.......it thrives in the seedy underbelly. That unique underground clique where only a select few dare to tread.

Wait.....I'm living in the past......damn you Black Album!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Shame on them Pol. Metal isn't meant to be for the masses.......it thrives in the seedy underbelly. That unique underground clique where only a select few dare to tread.

Sometimes I hear metal on ads. That's when they want to sell something exciting and tough to appeal to testosterone-afflicted youth.

Agree with The Indian, heavily processed sounding music doesn't do it for me either. There's definitely a strong trend towards non-organic music, though. A lot of young people have had their ears trained to the new sound and think organic = sloppy.

Time marches on and I'm left behind - just like my parents.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:25 AM

Bringing metal to the masses?.....I say it's a half-assed attempt at best, if that.

Granted that metal isn't the only genre I listen to, it's one of my most favorites. In my opinion, it's bands like the two that the OP posted that give metal a bad name. That stuff wasn't really even viable on a musical level, either. The first song was flat-out horrible - it didn't flow, the production quality sounds like an exact clone of similar bands that've just recently popped up. Like Polly said, it's not organic. I'm 17 and I wouldn't consider my ears to be "trained to the new sound" because I think a good bit of the more modern music is horrible. It doesn't have that IT factor that so much older music has.

I'd say that being stuck in the past is a good thing. IMO, that's where all the greatest music is, if you take the time / effort to dig really deep into it!

Quote:
Agree with The Indian, heavily processed sounding music doesn't do it for me either. There's definitely a strong trend towards non-organic music, though. A lot of young people have had their ears trained to the new sound and think organic = sloppy.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.I.B. View Post
Bringing metal to the masses?.....I say it's a half-assed attempt at best, if that.
Of course it is. If it was real metal song (as opposed to power pop with metal teasers) it wouldn't be a high production video on YouTube with advertising and an announcement about their new, big singing.

It's a commercial venture - these groups don't exist to play good music, the idea is to shift units and increase dividends. Creatively, they would see it as exploring the possibilities in a relatively unexplored area - the pop/metal hybrid. No doubt there's be an audience for it - maybe kids in their early teens.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:41 AM

No doubt! I've been exposed to several at my school like that. They listen to bands that are a lot more serious than that (August Burns Red, etc...), but still come off to me as a bunch of sellouts.

It must be my aversion to music from the past decade in general...
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 AM
sticks4drums

Well I am 46 and most of the music I listen to comes from this past decade and on. To me the musicians get better, the lyrics get better, the sound gets better, the instruments get better. I have no use for most of the psychedelic stuff, from the 60's and 70's. Oh, and I really like RED. :)
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Well I am 46 and most of the music I listen to comes from this past decade and on. To me the musicians get better, the lyrics get better, the sound gets better, the instruments get better. I have no use for most of the psychedelic stuff, from the 60's and 70's. Oh, and I really like RED. :)
Oh man, you're sure missing out there.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:07 AM

Re: "What ever happened to music"...

The answer is simple and yet very profound. All styles of popular American music have already seen their greatest days.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:07 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiuM View Post
Oh man, you're sure missing out there.
NO. I have heard it all. Not missing a thing. :) I am not good at living in the past.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

There several hundred thousand bands out there putting out music these days.

So you found two you didn't like. Not a big deal, just move on until you find one you do like.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientgreg View Post
Re: "What ever happened to music"...

The answer is simple and yet very profound. All styles of popular American music have already seen their greatest days.
I agree to a certain extent. I would not go quite as far though. The focus on musicianship & improvisation is certainly less important in modern music. Along with the edit & paste style of producing albums that has become the norm. It would probably have been easier to become a working musician 30 or 40 years ago though.

There is still a lot of good music being made. Most of it is not going to have a place in the traditional mainstream though. The less commercial based music is on the net now as opposed to when there was more of it on tv or radio in the past. Certain genres & formats have peaked though, over the last few decades. Rock music is not as popular as it once was. Jazz equals music in elevators to most people these days. Dance and hip-hop have taken a much more prominent role in recent years. Things are changing. Music will always be present but it is always evolving.

Dont' get me wrong I love the classics but I do like some of the mainstream music of today too. Good music recently made (imho): Killswitch Engage, Silversun Pickups, Deadsy, Jon Mayer, Stone Sour, Kanye West. I can even stand some of the mainstream pop stuff occaisionally.

The tunes are still there, but they are a not the same as they were back in the day. As much as I love classic rock, I really couldn't stand those 70's throwback bands that were popular in the 2000's. (Jet, Wolfmother, etc) Not that those bands weren't good musicians. Their music seemed to lack originality, & to me was more about going backward than forward.

I dig 2 types of music, the kind that moves me emotionally & music that make me want to move physically. Good stuff is still here, you just have to find it!

Last edited by theindian; 05-27-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Now that I'm older I'm finding it hard to find new music that speaks to intelligent adults who'd prefer not to be immersed in smooth jazz (elevator music) or characterless virtuosity.

Most of what I'm coming across on radio is either music for young people or music that speaks to older people's glory days.

Of the newer music the closest I've found are Black Dub and Cinematic Orchestra.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

These days, there are more people who want to play metal, than want to listen to it.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

The first band kinda seems similar (especially in in-organicness) to an Australian band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exgAM...feature=relmfu
Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver View Post
The first band kinda seems similar (especially in in-organicness) to an Australian band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exgAM...feature=relmfu
Yes, the full-on compression again but much more straight power pop than the others. Would have probably gone down well in the 80s :)
Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
These days, there are more people who want to play metal, than want to listen to it.
Many thumbs up.

Metal has more so-called 'sub genres' than all the other genres of music put together. Metal guy's (in my experience) are also the most likely to limit their intake of music to just metal, and a few other random bands. Why limit yourself? Its all good.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:11 PM

I do not like music that called market music.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingscrivenshelpmaboab View Post
Metal has more so-called 'sub genres' than all the other genres of music put together.
Does that mean that eventually, every single metal musician will have his/her own unique personal sub genre? :-)
Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM

'dude, its not metal, its Melodic Black metal with elements of Death Metal and cybergoth!' I just dont get it, I really, really dont.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
'dude, its not metal, its Melodic Black metal with elements of Death Metal and cybergoth!' I just dont get it, I really, really dont.
Same. It confuses me alot, l ike people say "listen to this it's amazing it's like Avenged Sevenfold mixed with Parkway Drive and Slayer" and I'm like "the only band I like out of the ones you listed are Slayer and it sounds like a bad combo".

I like some metal and it's sub-genres, but marketed 'metal' like those two videos doesn't appeal to me at all... Some of it's even autotuned.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:44 PM

Autotune is not the devil. It's just another tool, with a myriad of uses, other than vocals. I use it and melodyne on drums regularly.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
NO. I have heard it all. Not missing a thing. :) I am not good at living in the past.
[i]All[i] of it?! C'mon. If you're not into rock and such that's one thing. But if you are into rock, how do you not like 60's and 70's rock?!?!?! haha.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
I like some metal and it's sub-genres, but marketed 'metal' like those two videos doesn't appeal to me at all... Some of it's even autotuned.
What you fail to realise is that EVERYTHING is autotuned these days! I bet even your favourite band who you thought were "kosher" (whatever that means in this context) use auto tune to smooth out some of the duff-notes. The difference is that what you think is "auto tune" is just done in a way that is obvious. Most bands use a more subtle version that is very difficult for the average music listener to spot, but if you listen really hard for it, it's there. Auto tune is not the enemy, you should stop being so picky about it.
<condescention mode again>I know the feeling, you're 15, looking for your identity and a purpose in life. That search leads you to become extremely anal about something, in this case music, as you try to feel like you belong to something. I know this feeling because i went through exactly the same thing myself. If you go on the Metal Hammer facebook page, you will find hundreds of other posters in exactly the same position, some of them aren't even 15 any more but well into middle age and simply haven't completed that search for themselves yet. They're all complaining about "core-this" and "not metal that" and the best one which is "why are you posting non metal bands on METAL hammer?" which i think is quite funny because they're perfectly happy for them to post bands like 36 crazyfists and Sick of it All which aren't metal, but what they're really saying by not metal is bands like Asking Alexandria, Disturbed and Bring Me The Horizon but to name a few. It's pretty pathetic really. It's music. If you don't like it then my advice is not to listen to it :)

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
Does that mean that eventually, every single metal musician will have his/her own unique personal sub genre? :-)
There are bands these days who have (or are at least trying to get) their own sub genre, just for them.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 05-27-2011, 02:26 PM

eddiehimself: could I have "Southeast Asian ceremonial gold kris sun power metal" to myself?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiuM View Post
[i]All[i] of it?! C'mon. If you're not into rock and such that's one thing. But if you are into rock, how do you not like 60's and 70's rock?!?!?! haha.
I am into Rock. Look at my kit. Do you think I play Country or Jazz with that thing. :) I just like how the Rock I listen to has evolved. As an example:

Growing up I liked some of my brothers stuff: RUSH, Van Halen, Max Webster, Jethro Tull, Queen,

Then when I started buying my own stuff: RUSH, Genesis, Cars, Kim Mitchel, Saga, Styx, Boston, Queen,

Now it is: RUSH, Tool, Shindown, RED, Tea Party, Alter Bridge, HURT, Chevelle, Ozzy.

Just to give you an example.

Last edited by sticks4drums; 05-27-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
eddiehimself: could I have "Southeast Asian ceremonial gold kris sun power metal" to myself?
lol ... okay, I'll take Caucasian Blues Lounge Metal. I play brushes quite aggressively at times.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
if a band hasn't used it already ;)

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 05-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I don't think the musicians or the instruments get better, They get proceesed more. There are too many singers or actors that wouldn't make it past week two of American Idol or is it Idle. I'll take a live recording of any band before a studio album any day. Five instruments---do you really need 64 tracks to record on. Give me a break. The Beatles did it on 4 or 5 or 8 and still outsell the phonys of today.Only one band today had the proper name and that is Garbage. Where it all belongs. In fact they need a new genre for all music past 1990, called Garbage.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:27 PM
sticks4drums

This can be a very scary place sometimes. So does that mean everyone on here makes garbage. I guess we should all just quit what we are doing. A big reason the Beatles were so popular was because they had a new look, and a new sound to offer.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Only one band today had the proper name and that is Garbage. Where it all belongs. In fact they need a new genre for all music past 1990, called Garbage.
You've got to be kidding me right? Please tell me you're just exaggurating your position in this debate because you've read something you disagree with?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
In fact they need a new genre for all music past 1990, called Garbage.
That is a disgusting attitude to have, and im calling bullshit.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not young any more. Not because I would've been into this sort of thing; I'm sure we've all listened to stuff that's embarrassing when you look back (in fact there's an entire thread). But because I'd have to listen to other people, my "peers", rant and rave about this none sense. Freakin' Limp Bizkit, Creed, and Linkin Park; I'd pay good money to be able to permanently block that part of my memory forever.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
As much as I love Metallica and that album, that made me laugh pretty hard!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
ROFL! for sure! as a guitarist and drummer yes - metal is fun to play
it is great to get tight with other metal heads and let out some of that angst...

but at the end of the day - it's the last genre of music I want to "listen" to

I don't "live" in the past but I do find myself really enjoying the music from
decades long gone....there is a real pleasantness to it that make it a relaxing joy to have blasting in your house while you do whatever...

If I'm jogging or working out then yes give me some METAL!!!
because it gives you that edge to pull some extra strength from....

I have a compilation set of 40's 50's and 60's disc set and it changed my perception of music forever to where it';s not about "riff's" anymore but about making a pleasant
sounding tune for people to enjoy....or dance to, or cry to, or pump iron to:)

On some level music is about how it makes you feel and how you want to feel.

I like metal music - but I am rarely in a "Metal" mood these days...
Old 05-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Rebel

Some type of music is falling into decadence, other music way too commercial and shallow...just quite few bands are making it different and balanced at the present.