DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Don't Hold Your Breath!

Remember the apocalypse that never came?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13516796

Our friend is at it again!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Don't Hold Your Breath!

Yep.........what a twit.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:23 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Yep.........what a twit.
I think Graham Linehan's hoax was much better...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13467407
Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

The man is worth a fortune yet:
Mr Camping said he felt "terrible" about his mistake.

But he said he could not give financial advice to those who spent their life savings in the belief the end was nigh.
Maybe a case for a class action? Surely his position of influence and power demands at least some sense of responsibility. It would be disingenuous for him to say, "I never told 'em to sell their stuff. It was their decision. It's a matter of caveat emptor" ... if people don't believe what he says, then what's the point?

Blind Freddie would know that at least some people would act on his reckless announcements - to their profound detriment.

The flock should sue the pants off this mongrel who's washed his hands of people he busted while safely keeping his millions.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:52 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
The man is worth a fortune yet:
Mr Camping said he felt "terrible" about his mistake.

But he said he could not give financial advice to those who spent their life savings in the belief the end was nigh.
Maybe a case for a class action? Surely his position of influence and power demands at least some sense of responsibility. It would be disingenuous for him to say, "I never told 'em to sell their stuff. It was their decision. It's a matter of caveat emptor" ... if people don't believe what he says, then what's the point?

Blind Freddie would know that at least some people would act on his reckless announcements - to their profound detriment.

The flock should sue the pants off this mongrel who's washed his hands of people he busted while safely keeping his millions.
Well anyone that has read the Bible should know that what he was selling was a bunch of crap. Unfortunately there are lots of people out there just dieing to belong to something, or someone. So who do we blame. The false prophet or the simple students. He did not hold a gun to their heads.

Now what they could do is a public stoning, just like the good old days. :)
Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Well anyone that has read the Bible should know that what he was selling was a bunch of crap. Unfortunately there are lots of people out there just dieing to belong to something, or someone. So who do we blame. The false prophet or the simple students. He did not hold a gun to their heads.

Now what they could do is a public stoning, just like the good old days. :)
Yup - well said. :)
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Been happening for centuries Pol.

There's always a lunatic to say as he pleases. And always a lunatic to follow him. Unfortunately people have been lapping this sort of nonsense up - to their profound detriment - since time immemorial.

What's that old saying about fools and their money again? If it's that easy to relieve people of their hard earned, perhaps I should look into getting into this rackett.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Been happening for centuries Pol.

There's always a lunatic to say as he pleases. And always a lunatic to follow him. Unfortunately people have been lapping this sort of nonsense up - to their profound detriment - since time immemorial.

What's that old saying about fools and their money again? If it's that easy to relieve people of their hard earned, perhaps I should look into getting into this rackett.
Or you could just open a DW store. :)
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM

In my opinion, anyone who believes this crackpot and gave away all their posessions is a damn fool and deserves whatever fate god has apparantly dealt them. Maybe it's gods plan for them to be poor and homeless for the next 5 months until we do this again.

Just like Mr Camping said about his own followers "they'll cope"

BAHAHAHA!!!!

Wonder what his excuse is going to be in October? "Ooops, I read it wrong again, it's actually 2012. Sorry....I better get these eyes checked"
Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Or you could just open a DW store. :)
Nah, this way's easier. I don't even have to shift any product....merely sell false hope at top dollar rates. And by all accounts there's thousands lined up to pay for it!!

Hey, if a failed science fiction writer can lure the worlds rich and aimless with some of the most nonsensical dribble I've ever heard, how hard can it be?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Fair enough counter arguments but he HAS to bear some responsibility!

The more interesting question is ... what about those who follow him to didn't give everything away? What's the story there? That means, deep down, they're pretty sure that he's full of crap yet they still follow.

It must be about joining to give them a sense of identity and / or the social side because it's obviously not faith :)

It's all just a big game.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:06 PM
sticks4drums

Now Polly, don't be so hard on these folks. The ones that did not give everything away probably felt like he was wrong and maybe stopped following him. I had been going to church since I was 21. My faith was in God and the bible, not the preacher. The preacher is just a man who can make mistakes. It is up to you to discern things that he tells you to be right or wrong. I recently quit going to church because I felt that what the preacher was telling me did not jive with what I believed to be right, from what I had read before. The owness is still on the follower.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Well anyone that has read the Bible should know that what he was selling was a bunch of crap.

You're spot on there.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Now I'll have to find something else to wear in October. I can't wear the same outfit to two different raptures.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 PM

To me this is just totally sickening. This idiot should have to give up all assets to charity and then be flown far out over the ocean and dropped. Everytime I see his face I just want to hit him really hard.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I can't believe this guy has the gall to issue a revised date. Is there no end to this guys stupidity? Even sadder are the folks who continue to believe him. And you know there are many.
I think he should be publicly lambasted and ridiculed on every talk show there is.
I wonder if the guy paid his bills past "Judgement Day". You would think if he truly believed what he is selling, he would have not have felt the need to pay his bills.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Remember the apocalypse that never came?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13516796

Our friend is at it again!
Yep i remember him saying before about the "actual" rapture date supposedly being in october and I just thought, he can't even believe this stuff himself surely? It seems he's just trying to see how long he can fob the public off for...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Administrator

A few years ago his "church" was worth 20,000,000.00. Now thanks to the idiots that believe in him the church is worth 120,000,000.00 One hundred million dollars worth of stupid, weak people. Anyone that needs religion that bad has other major issues.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
A few years ago his "church" was worth 20,000,000.00. Now thanks to the idiots that believe in him the church is worth 120,000,000.00 One hundred million dollars worth of stupid, weak people. Anyone that needs religion that bad has other major issues.
To me, any so called "church" that has significant assets beyond historical real estate, is full of crap, & most of those that qualify under the KIS scrutiny, are still full of crap. Believe what you will, but any organisation that asks for money without direct accountability & without latency in transparently showing it's final destination, is full of crap.

Back to my glass of wine.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Well anyone that has read the Bible should know that what he was selling was a bunch of crap.
Exactly. I can't believe people are getting brainwashed by this fool. He's clearly rallying people up just for money and attention.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
To me, any so called "church" that has significant assets beyond historical real estate, is full of crap, & most of those that qualify under the KIS scrutiny, are still full of crap. Believe what you will, but any organisation that asks for money without direct accountability & without latency in transparently showing it's final destination, is full of crap.
+1 .. not entirely full of crap .. they offload crap in order to attract dollars As Larry said, if he believed himself he'd have given everything he had away to charity. He knowingly and wilfully created a situation where he KNEW people would be busted by his nonsense.

Class action!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He knowingly and wilfully created a situation where he KNEW people would be busted by his nonsense.
If we listed his church on the stock exchange he'd be considered an entrepreneur.

These people don't need a lord and saviour Pol......they just need to be protected from themselves. Evidently there is a price on stupidity......and it's over the odds.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If we listed his church on the stock exchange he'd be considered an entrepreneur.

These people don't need a lord and saviour Pol......they just need to be protected from themselves. Evidently there is a price on stupidity......and it's over the odds.
Yes yes, shared responsibility, Darwin Awards etc but does that absolve our religio-corporate entrepreneur of ALL responsibility? IMO he'd be done like a dinner if there was a class action, albeit with some reduction in liability due to aforementioned gross incompetence on the part of the plaintiffs.

I'm allowed to talk like this today .. it's Geek Pride Day :)
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdrummerky View Post
To me this is just totally sickening. This idiot should have to give up all assets to charity and then be flown far out over the ocean and dropped. Everytime I see his face I just want to hit him really hard.

Why? He's not doing anything wrong, only the people who choose to listen.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Now I'll have to find something else to wear in October. I can't wear the same outfit to two different raptures.
Funniest thing I have read all week.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Why? He's not doing anything wrong, only the people who choose to listen.
That's based on the premise that he had no pre-existing influence. For instance, I could run out there and say the world is ending tomorrow but I have no reputation or power. This guy has power and his millions gained directly through that power are the evidence.

With power comes responsibility.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 AM
sticks4drums

This man is doing something wrong. He is a false prophet and leading simple people astray. He will be dealt with in time. He does have a great responsibility leading a flock of people.

His congregation also have the responsibility of reading their Bible, and seeing that what he is preaching is wrong, and contrary to what the Bible teaches.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
His congregation also have the responsibility of reading their Bible, and seeing that what he is preaching is wrong, and contrary to what the Bible teaches.
Still no guarantees there either.

1. It was written by man (or indeed many men) over several thousand years. In early days it was actually only 'written" by dedicated scribes....then not to mention re-interpreted across various languages. Effectively making it the longest game of 'Chinese whispers' ever played. After being put through the ringer that many times, where's my guarantee that it's actually a true representation of what god wants anyway?
Personally, I see nothing absolute that it is indeed the word of god as opposed to just another interpretation of men on "god's behalf".

2. It says a lot of things in it's own right that have either been reinterpreted (or indeed totally dismissed) by changing social values, are contradictory to itself or at the very least leave more questions than answers.....causing people to turn to yet another lunatic for clarification.

I'm not trying to tell anyone who or what god is. But there's not enough contained within 66 books for me to hang my hat on.....just far too many holes in that argument, I'm afraid.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 AM
sticks4drums

If you say so. :) You must know.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you say so. :) You must know.
Typical response.

You raised it mate. Not I.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM
sticks4drums

Your response or mine mate. :)
Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your response or mine mate. :)
We'll both be in for a kicking if we do this here.

But if your conviction is that strong, then PM me and we'll give it a run through there. You can try and sell me "why" and I'll counter with "why not" and we can go back and forth forever amen. My parents are 'born again' mate. I've been having fun with this debate for 20 odd years......still entertains me no end.

Please....feel free to shoot me a PM if you've got anything better than "If you say so. :) You must know.". 'Cos that one really does swing both ways, don't you think? :-)

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 05-25-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Still no guarantees there either.

1. It was written by man (or indeed many men) over several thousand years. In early days it was actually only 'written" by dedicated scribes....then not to mention re-interpreted across various languages. Effectively making it the longest game of 'Chinese whispers' ever played. After being put through the ringer that many times, where's my guarantee that it's actually a true representation of what god wants anyway?
Personally, I see nothing absolute that it is indeed the word of god as opposed to just another interpretation of men on "god's behalf".
Well, archeology speaks for itself. Of the oldest complete Bible ever found (Dated approximately 150 A.D. i believe, correct me if I'm wrong), we have found it's content to be over 95% of the same content as any current day Bible. And wherever there is a difference, it is written on the bottom of the page. I must say, they did a fine job of preserving it's contents.

And there would have been no reason for someone to really "taint" the Bible, as it still wouldn't give one a whole lot of personal benefit. Just my opinion.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post

... so ..you mean ANY CHURCH? .. they all ask for money to sell you ancient fairy-tales

.. and on another note ... this guy is not dumb .. he's obviously a very manipulative and tricky a-hole who conned people into giving him LOADS of money ... doesn't make him a good person .. .. but he's GREAT at convincing paranoid jackasses who claim to be religious and never have done their own research.. super atheist dude ( me) even knows that " the book" says that not even the angels himself will know the hour of his coming ... and he'd be in a mental institution with the millions of skitzos across the world who think they are him
Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Thing is, should Jim Jones's estate be liable after he told his followers to drink poison - or was it just their own fault?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiuM View Post
And there would have been no reason for someone to really "taint" the Bible, as it still wouldn't give one a whole lot of personal benefit. Just my opinion.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't this whole thread dedicated to "tainting the bible"? Even the believers amongst us are stating as such.

Personally, I think the reasons for doing so are varied and wide.....and the gains (especially financial) are clearly huge. But again, we'll be flogged for it here on DW (and quite rightly so, IMHO).....so again, I encourage a PM if your serious about it. :-)

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 05-25-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thing is, should Jim Jones's estate be liable after he told his followers to drink poison - or was it just their own fault?
If I said right now.....Pol, go on and drink this poison......it WILL kill you, but I promise you eternity in paradise.

And you actually did it. Who's the bigger dill?

In short, his estate (assuming there is one) is not liable for anything. People have to learn to be accountable for their own actions, the Jim Jones' of the world included......pure and simple.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

In other news, it's good to be able to sit and mess around on this forum sitting in an airport at 6.30AM. Fun times all around - thanks for entertaining me at this stressful time.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If I said right now.....Pol, go on and drink this poison......it WILL kill you, but I promise you eternity in paradise.

And you actually did it. Who's the bigger dill?

In short, his estate (assuming there is one) is not liable for anything. People have to learn to be accountable for their own actions, the Jim Jones' of the world included......pure and simple.
Nup, not comparable at all, you big duffer :-P

If you were the leader of the notorious Children of PFOG sect (known for making loud staccato noises and atrophying on web forums) and I was one of your many followers, then I'd say it's a fair comparison.

Now once you have a gig like that set up with a heap of followers then you have a responsibility. You can't pretend those connections don't exist and treat it like Person A dealing with Person B, no matter how bone-headed the connection is. There are known and inevitable consequences when you do tell some logic-blind sect member something that can lead them to harm.

As it is, all you are to me is a web pal who seems to either drink too much or wants to drink too much ... so if you told me to go drink poison I'd say, "Your shout" :)
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
In other news, it's good to be able to sit and mess around on this forum sitting in an airport at 6.30AM. Fun times all around - thanks for entertaining me at this stressful time.
Wassup Duncan? Stressing at an airport at an ungodly hour? Are you okay?