DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Fuzrock's Avatar
Fuzrock Fuzrock is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 603
Default Tama Rhythm Watch Mounting Methods - HELP ME!!

I need some help here. I've had my Tama Rhythm Watch for over ten years and have always had it mounted on an old Ludwig straight cymbal stand. Ever since I got my Yamaha Hex Rack, I've been trying to find a way to mount it using one of my clamps and a short boom arm. I can't seem to find a boom arm that has the 6mm threads that the Rhythm Watch screws onto. Everything seems to be 8mm these days. I went to the Guitar Center yesterday and bought a Tama boom arm thinking it would work but even they are 8mm now. I swear they used to be 6mm.
For the time being, I have the top of the Ludwig stand pulled out and mounted to my rack but I don't like how it looks and I can't get it quite where I want it without it looking worse. Did I mention that I'm really picky? Does anyone make a short boom arm with 6mm threads anymore? Does anyone know of an adaptor that threads onto an 8mm stand and has 6mm threads on top? Any ideas would be greatly appreciatted.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: Tama Rhythm Watch Mounting Methods - HELP ME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
I need some help here. I've had my Tama Rhythm Watch for over ten years and have always had it mounted on an old Ludwig straight cymbal stand. Ever since I got my Yamaha Hex Rack, I've been trying to find a way to mount it using one of my clamps and a short boom arm. I can't seem to find a boom arm that has the 6mm threads that the Rhythm Watch screws onto. Everything seems to be 8mm these days. I went to the Guitar Center yesterday and bought a Tama boom arm thinking it would work but even they are 8mm now. I swear they used to be 6mm.
For the time being, I have the top of the Ludwig stand pulled out and mounted to my rack but I don't like how it looks and I can't get it quite where I want it without it looking worse. Did I mention that I'm really picky? Does anyone make a short boom arm with 6mm threads anymore? Does anyone know of an adaptor that threads onto an 8mm stand and has 6mm threads on top? Any ideas would be greatly appreciatted.
You may need to make your own. That's what I did. For a while, I mounted my Rhythm Watch off the hihat and bent a 5-16" rod and threaded it with 6 mm. You can go to Slave Harbor Tools (Harbor Freight) and get a cheap threading kit for under $10 and they come in handy for repairing stripped threads or DIY hardware. Maybe cut off the old threads and carefully re-thread the boom arm.

I now have the Rhythm Watch velcroed to my bass drum hoop.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Fuzrock's Avatar
Fuzrock Fuzrock is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 603
Default Re: Tama Rhythm Watch Mounting Methods - HELP ME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
You may need to make your own. That's what I did. For a while, I mounted my Rhythm Watch off the hihat and bent a 5-16" rod and threaded it with 6 mm. You can go to Slave Harbor Tools (Harbor Freight) and get a cheap threading kit for under $10 and they come in handy for repairing stripped threads or DIY hardware. Maybe cut off the old threads and carefully re-thread the boom arm.

I now have the Rhythm Watch velcroed to my bass drum hoop.
That could certainly work.. There is a Harbor Freight in my town, too. I love that place. Makes me feel like a man!
On the other hand, if someone actually makes a boom arm that has 6mm threads, that would be easier.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,321
Default Re: Tama Rhythm Watch Mounting Methods - HELP ME!!

Tama makes an L-rod for their metronome. It's compatible with their clamps.

Check out the bottom picture in the link.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/usa/produc...ies/RW105.html

Actually, I just found it on MF.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...tch?sku=440844
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Fuzrock's Avatar
Fuzrock Fuzrock is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 603
Default Re: Tama Rhythm Watch Mounting Methods - HELP ME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Tama makes an L-rod for their metronome. It's compatible with their clamps.

Check out the bottom picture in the link.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/usa/produc...ies/RW105.html

Actually, I just found it on MF.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...tch?sku=440844
I have seen that before but that's not really what I want. I ended up taking DMC's advice. My friend Joe Voda had a drum shop for 40 years and lives a block away from me. He has a tap & die kit so I brought over a boom arm with 8mm threads and he turned them into 6mm threads. I have exaclty what I want now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: Tama Rhythm Watch Mounting Methods - HELP ME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
I have seen that before but that's not really what I want. I ended up taking DMC's advice. My friend Joe Voda had a drum shop for 40 years and lives a block away from me. He has a tap & die kit so I brought over a boom arm with 8mm threads and he turned them into 6mm threads. I have exaclty what I want now.
Glad it worked. I invite you to take some photos for the hardware DIY thread and show us what you did.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com