DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 PM

Default Pearl Thumper?

Does anyone else think this is a total waist of money? I mean 300 dollars for a throne that vibrates.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Pearl Thumper?

Look at the recent string of buttkicker threads man, some drummers find them to be a tool worth its weight in gold, maybe $300 is a bit much for just a pre mounted unit, but i totally get the vibrating throne idea.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdude9610 View Post
Does anyone else think this is a total waist of money? I mean 300 dollars for a throne that vibrates.
I can't comment on this unit specifically, although it does look a bit crude. The idea of tactile monitoring is sound, so long as it offers a dynamically perfect representation with no latency issues. To get the best affect, the unit should really be built into the throne seat itself IMO.

If you regularly play stages where there's only basic monitoring, or no monitoring, these devices are very useful indeed. I've played several gigs this year where such a tool would have been most beneficial. I frequently have difficulty hearing/feeling the dynamic requirements of the kick, & this type of product really helps get that placement just right.

A waste of money? Not if your a serious touring player without the benefit of full drum monitor mix & sub facility.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The concept of a thumper goes back to the '70s, and it's very valid in terms of monitoring the kick. But the Pearl unit falls short - I tried it at NAMM, and it was extremely weak.

Bermuda
Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Gold Member

I don't understand the musical purpose of this product. Help the kick low end project? Helps you hear it better? How would a vibrator have an effect on this?

I mean, I'm sure it does, I just don't understand how. Could someone explain?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 AM

A thumper helps the drummer 'hear' the kick better. For most drummers, the kick is the heart of the kit, and being able to know what you play and at what dynamic is crucial to playing well. Likewise for most in louder and concert situations, getting enough kick in the monitor is a problem. A thumper makes the difference.

But something that simply vibrates is pretty useless. A true driver really kicks the drummer's seat and provides an accurate way to know where the kick is. I've been using a ButtKicker since 2004, and it's wonderful.

Does everyone need something like this? No, in many acoustic and some monitor situations, the kick is sufficiently audible. But for those who can't get enough, a capable thumper is a great solution.

Bermuda
Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
I don't understand the musical purpose of this product. Help the kick low end project? Helps you hear it better? How would a vibrator have an effect on this?

I mean, I'm sure it does, I just don't understand how. Could someone explain?
Basically when you gig with wedge monitors, the bass frequency of the kick drum vibrates you, you can actually feel it up on stage. With the in ear monitors, you take a lot of the "feel" away, the butt kicker type products, they take the kick signal and turn it into a vibration/thump that restores the feel to the drummer.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
With the in ear monitors, you take a lot of the "feel" away, the butt kicker type products, they take the kick signal and turn it into a vibration/thump that restores the feel to the drummer.
It's important to also keep some of the kick in the phones/in-ears to get the full sensation. I'm back on the road with my kit and my ButtKickers, and it's just glorious up there. There's absolute intimacy with the kick, Every little note and dynamic is there for me.

Bermuda