DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-09-2011, 05:35 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Switching to Lightweight

In the last year, I've been in the process of putting together a lightweight kit. Last summer I was fortunate to receive a kit from a friend of my Mother, whose husband had sadly passed away. I did some modifications and that is the 16" bass drum kit that I've been touting around here.

With that kit came a full set of hardware. Most of it is 80's Pearl - the same age as the kit. There are a pair of double-braced stands and three single-braced stands, of which two are actually usable. The third is missing a wingnut and the hole was welded! No matter. It came with a single-braced hi-hat stand too, but that is missing a few screws in the footpiece at the bottom and therefore wasn't usable. I decided to hang on to all the slightly sketchier hardware and use what I could of the lightweight set.

This afternoon, I was eBay browsing and I've just won an 80's Pearl hi hat stand that is identical to the broken one. I won it for 12 (10 postage) and know the model well. If there are any problems, I can just swap out parts. It's single braced - which is actually my preference. So now I have two full sets of hardware, one lightweight and one heavier. I can't see myself using the heavier stuff anytime soon either!

I just don't see the point in heavy hardware. Single-braced hardware can cater for about 90% of what you actually need. I understand if you're doing multiple heavy mounts you'd need something heavier, but I don't need it. It's actually hard to get hold of good single-braced hardware and I think that's a shame!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Switching to Lightweight

I am single-braced-hardware guy myself. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

This looks like a trend in the making. I concur 100%. I mean, you could use the same exact double braced construction of any of the heaviest duty stands out there, but duh just use aluminum, and it would be significantly lighter. Plus you could design it to cut out any unnecessary weight, like use thinner stock maybe. It still has to retain strength, but that's not too tall of an engineering order. I don't necessarily want single braced, I just want lighter. With strength. With a different system than felt and wing nuts where I can't drop or lose anything. And universal tilters dammit, no funking gears. I think aluminum double braced stands would go like hotcakes. Take a good look at your tired worn out 10 kilo cymbal stands. They're gonna be dinosaurs. Just like bicycles, drum hardware will become lighter, it's inevitable.
My Pearl snare stand is so re-diculously heavy that I can't even tell you. The universal ball tilter is why I got it, but the thing is just over the top in weight. I could rest my van on this thing. I gotta lighten up.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:25 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

The heaviest thing I actually own is a Pearl 2000 Series 'Roadster' Throne that I bought from a forum member. It's a really good throne and holds me up well (I mean, I am 250 Pounds plus interest) so I'm glad I have a heavy throne, but it could be a bit lighter! I've got an old 60's style throne as well, but I just don't trust it to hold my weight until I've tested it some more. That said, I like the Pearl throne a lot because it is very good quality - now I just need to buy a softer top.

I think Axis made aluminium stands for a while - but with all things Axis, they were very expensive and never took off. Manufacturers are not using quality material in their hardware and that is what keeps prices down more than would otherwise be the case, but I honestly think that stand design hasn't significantly improved in twenty years. There are small improvements, but the trend has been to make heavy, double-braced stands and that really started in the early 80's.

It's the same kind of argument that is used for double-chain pedals. They're actually not necessary. Single chains are absolutely fine and are lighter weight. I have single and double weight pedals and I can't see an advantage of one design over the other.

Stands are very important and bad quality stands are one of the few things that can really get me down during a set - that and a bad ride cymbal. But quality does not equal weight and this is what people seem to get confused. Unless you are running heavy drums and cymbals from one stand, you do not need that extra weight. If you are just running a ride cymbal, you do not need that weight.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 AM

I have Yamaha 700 series hardware and it is single braced and med weight. I like it but it is still pretty heavy. I have thought about changing to the Gibraltar JZ series or the turning point series. Gibraltar claims that these are very light, anyone ever tried them?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

The new Turning Point stands are a bit lighter (& it's noticeable compared to the 9600 series), but they aren't "light" IMO.

I have DW flat base stands and use them in my hard rock band. No problems.
I mount my 24" ride on it and I crash it a lot with no worries.
My cymbals aren't high, so maybe that's why these seem so sturdy, but I can play as hard as I want and I have no issues with the flat base gear at all.

Gibraltar has real nice flat base stuff too.
They also have the single braced stands, AND they have a smaller tubed, light weight double braced line that I think came out this year--saw them at the shop, they just got them.
The tilters aren't the Brake tilter style, but you can buy those separately if they were wanted. I was tempted...

DW's single braced stuff is really nice, and rock solid, just a bit heavier than the flat stand, but waaay lighter than the bigger tubed stands.

What I like about the DW stands is the tilter is great (as always) but, they have integrated memory locks, and that feature puts them above other stands for my wants/needs. I want set it-forget it-don't worry about it stands.

Basically, all the companies have real nice, solid gear these days, but the integrated memory locks are ignored by several companies.
DW and Mapex (Pearl on the high end stand) are the only companies that come to mind that have the locks on the stand when you buy them. Others may have memory locks, but you have to buy them separately.

I have a lot of hardware.... I may need Hardware Anonymous...

I also have that Pearl 2000 snare stand, and it's hea-vy. The DW hat stand I use (NOW it's called a 3500TL) is noticeably lighter WITH THE CYMBALS ON THE STAND than the Gibraltar Liquid Drive 9600 hat stand (I was using before) alone. The 3500 stand is plenty sturdy.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

I'm sure you've already seen my thread about my kit. I'm telling you: Yamaha 600 series hardware is sturdy, compact, and *relatively* lightweight.

Of course, flat-based stands are more compact and lighter, but if you need to clamp anything on to them, they topple. If you need simply a straight cymbal stand in your set up, get a flat-based stand, like the new Ludwig flat-based models that are basically a reissue of their older stands, but with more reliable functionality (better tilters, wing screws that won't strip, etc...).

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 AM

I do like the DW hardware, I have DW pedals and love them. I know their gear is very high quality. The Yamaha 600 series is something I've never thought about since I have the 700 series. I think John Riley uses the 600 series. I am not a heavy player at all so I have no doubt that any of this stuff would work for me. The design of the turning point stands just looked kind of cool to me.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

The Turning Point Flip top feature is pretty cool.

What's nice is the spring can be less pressure, or more, and it doesn't rattle.
The Flip thing is pretty easy to work, & I always liked the felts that Gibraltar uses, they're like Yamaha's thick felts.
The Brake Tilter is just great.

I think Gibraltar should just use the Brake Tilter on all it it's series of stands, and be done with the geared titler style all together.

Gibraltar's flat base stands have a wider leg span than the DW, but Gibraltar doesn't have the memory locks....so I went DW.

If you're not a heavy hitter, FOR SURE you can use flat bass gear.
Like I said, I use the DW FB's in my heavy rock band with no worries and a 24" ride.
I have no doubt my satisfaction would be the same with the Gibraltar stuff though.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 PM

I'm planning on buying a new kit (check this topic: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=75980) and I'm thinking about lightweight hardware. I find double-braced hardware a pain to set up, so I'm planning on using single-braced regardless. As for lightweight; I won't be carrying my kit around a whole lot; in fact, probably only once or twice. But I'd rather use lightweight, just cause it's lightweight. :P However, I am a heavy hitter, and I have knocked over lightweight straight stands before while wash-riding on a crash cymbal. Granted, the hardware was very cheap, but I don't want that happening to my kit. Not to mention I plan on mounting my rack tom(s) on a cymbal stand. Will a lightweight hold up a 16" medium crash AND a maple rack tom (sometimes 2, depending on what mood I'm in), that are being played by a heavy hitter?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I'm sure you've already seen my thread about my kit. I'm telling you: Yamaha 600 series hardware is sturdy, compact, and *relatively* lightweight.

Of course, flat-based stands are more compact and lighter, but if you need to clamp anything on to them, they topple. If you need simply a straight cymbal stand in your set up, get a flat-based stand, like the new Ludwig flat-based models that are basically a reissue of their older stands, but with more reliable functionality (better tilters, wing screws that won't strip, etc...).

Just took a look at your kit.....I love it!! Great drums!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Great to see this works for you. Lighter stands are easier to carry, set up, move and take down and will work for most applications. There's a silly trend toward double-braced boom stands to just hold a six-inch splash, and to have as many as possible crowded around the set.

I do use very heavy DW9000 series hardware. On one stand, I have had two ironwood toms and three cymbals. I have scaled down my kit somewhat but I still pile lots of drums and cymbals onto a single stand so I need that extra strength. My approach is to have fewer but heaver stands with lots of stuff on them, instead of more but lighter stands with less stuff (or more, heavier stands with less stuff, as is most often the case).