DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 PM

Default Questions about the Roland TD-4S?

I've always wanted an electronic kit, and I see that the Roland TD-4S has a $200 rebate until the end of the year!
I'm wondering why Roland is offering a $200 rebate? Do you think that they will announce a new line at NAMM 2011?

I'm really going back to basics with my drumming, but I'm wondering how good the TD-4S really is in the long run? Do you see any limitations that I would eventually need to upgrade in the near future? I'm just asking, because I'm even more interested now that there is this current rebate offer!

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Questions about the Roland TD-4S?

Can only add 1 more drum/cymbal to this unit. No "dynamics" on this level kit.

I can't see them adding much to the lesser kits, why buy the td12+ then.

I personally think the pedal hihat is full of fail. I'd want to replace that fast.

Other than that the td4 is nice. Check used on craigslist.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM

The TD-4 is a good e-kit for the money, i got mine with the $200 rebate. Definitely worth it.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumCat6 View Post
I've always wanted an electronic kit, and I see that the Roland TD-4S has a $200 rebate until the end of the year!
I'm wondering why Roland is offering a $200 rebate? Do you think that they will announce a new line at NAMM 2011?

I'm really going back to basics with my drumming, but I'm wondering how good the TD-4S really is in the long run? Do you see any limitations that I would eventually need to upgrade in the near future? I'm just asking, because I'm even more interested now that there is this current rebate offer!

Thanks!
IMO, give it some hard thought. After you are into it you will want to move up from the TD-4 module. A TD-9 or 12 or 20 just sounds better. It's hard to identify the technical reasons but a good music store will have both on the floor so put on headphones and check it out. Plus the TD-9 has great practice features like the built-in songs and the scope. Version 2 will allow 99 kits, which most people don't need but it is nice to use some of the slots for tweaks to your basic kit(s).

I started with a TD-4KS and there is nothing left of it at this point but my KD8 as I slowly upgraded. This is certainly an option - it's just expensive. The module was the last thing I replaced. It's hard to sell a TD-4 module so the upgrade path is tough.

The advice on getting a VH-11 is absolutely dead on. If you do no other upgrades, get rid of that CY5 and FD8. The VH-11 is to the CY5 what the TD-9KS is to a 5-gallon bucket.