DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:21 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildoer View Post
There's A LOT!!! My audition went on for almost four hours with being welcomed, setting up drums, warming up, jamming, playing through the three songs, the "test", interviews and small talk. Also Petrucci ordered the best Pizza in NYC according to him that we all enjoyed while talking.

We've only seen very little parts of what went on like Derek already wrote. I do hope more will be revealed in the future!!!
unare of your playing till this and im VERY impressed we will be hearing a lot from you SOON

Pete I was unaware of your playing before DOH
but after this audition WOW I knew the original 4 Mike,Virgil,Thomas and Marco could pull it off but you WERE great as well.
Ill be watching for more from you and i know the bands were watching you as well
All the best
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Just went back and saw Thomas Lang's POWERHOUSE performance KILLER
of course the big 4 could have all done the gig
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Sondy Pasteurisen
This message has been deleted by Sondy Pasteurisen.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM
PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
"Pete Wildoer you are a wonderful drummer. I think if there were any BIG winners from this whole thing it was you. Sure Mike got the gig, but he was already out there and capable of landing any number of things. Your ascension on the other hand comes off as something very cool. What a fantastic springboard. I can't imagine this not affecting you in a positive way. Geez you've got ridiculous skills and a whole lot of class. It's also great you're hanging around now and I hope you stick around past this little publicity surge.

As for Mangini, he decided he was going to get the gig, did the homework and got the gig...plain and simple. As for these bring your own style-not bring your own style discussions, I think its probably the wisest to do what's required to get the gig. Then once you have it and you get comfortable with the guys, then your own stuff gets in there.

I also remain amazed at how people are always going on and on about this his style fits/doesn't fit stuff. Are these people really telling me that most of the guys seen here can't play any way they want if they put their minds to it? Believe it or not, it's not just Vinnie C. There are hundreds of great drummers capable of this skillset. And Mike happens to be one of the best at it although I've remained perplexed about the kind of music that really moves him. To him I think DT is exactly where his heart is musically. But hey ...when you're a beast like that and can do so many things...more power to you.

I've seen some people already ragging on him for being overly happy about winning, But I just think that's what a superbly focused guy who sees life goals in terms of winning and losing does, whether it's DT, a Berklee appointment, WFD comps, or a game of cards. I think too many mistake that as some confused invasion of artistic principles when it's actually a whole lot more positive than that."

Well said Matt.
Thank you soo very much for your kind words, really makes me very happy!!! :-) Coming in as the underdog I hope this will give positive reactions for me. I mean the other drummers are the very elite of modern more powerful drumming and to just be mentioned among them is more than I could ever ask for!!! I'm planning to hang around here and I've been reading a lot here before but haven't posted. ;-)

I have to agree that I'm a bit bored with the ongoing discussions of what drummer is capable of what. This drummer can't play this and that drummer don't have a clue about that... To me there are two kinds of music, the stuff that I like and the stuff I like less, same goes for drummers. I have to agree though that I like most drummers as I tend to try to hear their qualities and not their weak points, ha ha ha...

Here are a couple of videos that might show that I like playing different styles:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Wildoerf.../4/DcuivPThm84

http://www.youtube.com/user/Wildoerf.../2/7vli1QsK6mk

Huge congratulations to Mr. Mangini, he's more than well worth it!!! He's an amazing drummer and I think he's the perfect fit for DT. Agree, he had his mind set to get the gig and he did. Focused and well done! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOnTheFloorTom View Post
I spent some time with Derek Roddy last year at the Drum Road Trip in Upstate New York. So I was super excited for him to see that he got called into audition...if for no other reason than it would be a great boon for his reputation and hopefully lead him to other great opportunities. I was rooting for him.

His post here bear out some of the philosophies we spoke about in NY...about the BUSINESS of drumming. Yes, Dream Theater is an amazing gig for a Prog/Metal player. But at what cost to the other aspects of ones life?

I agree with Derrek that a cult band like DT isn't necessarily going to be the most lucrative move for some players. Why would a guy like Lang, who charges $800 a head for his drum camp and does well with his dvd's (and is a nicely paid hired gun) want to join a band and where he now has to take on the debt involved in being a member?? It had better be BIG $$ to take on the 'band member' role rather that 'the hired gun' role.

I know lots of guys who go on tour, come home in debt and to a family who barely recognizes them. It happens...

No one wants to end up like Richie Hayward...in his 60's and sick with no medical insurance.

My point is...there were many more factors to consider for the 7 auditionees other than "when does the tour start'?

From the looks of it, the DT guys have a stable small to medium size business going for them. By contrast, when Metallica hired Rob Trujillo, they gave him A MILLION DOLLARS UP FRONT. Now we are talking!

I did enjoy the audition vids...and thought every drummer played to their strengths. All of them were phenomenal. I would have loved to hear what Virgil or Lang came up with at more length, or to hear a more extreme take that Derrek or Peter could add to DT.

I am an old school Prog fan ...ELP, YES, FLOYD...but after watching this whole process I can see why the critics back then HATED prog. So pretensions and overly dramatic!! So it is no surprise that the DT have a lot of those same qualities. But they seem like nice guys to me.

But Derrek did make me proud!!

t
First of all I have no clue what money the DT guys make. For me personally this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to be able to live of just playing music. I've never made enough money just playing drums and have always been teaching. Don't get my wrong, I like teaching a lot, but if I was to choose between teaching math and drums five days a week and on the other hand be given the possibility of just playing with a fantastic band i would have no hard time choosing. On the other hand I know what it's like being away from my family when on tour and that is NOT FUN! But regardless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
This:

I don't think this is true for the guys in DT, or for most of the new school, prog metal, musicians.
If anything, they tend to classical music I'd say. Jordan Rudess was at Julliard at age 9.
DT clearly go for intriguing composition, not improvisation in the sense that jazz musicians
work on and explore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post

That is one of the interesting dichotomies here. While the old school guys often wanted to be jazz musicians and certainly grew up listening to swing, the new school guys grew up listening to the old school guys.
I can only speak for myself on this but I agree this to be something that a lot drummers endlessly discuss. I would say that if a musician want to play a specific style she/he goes for that. Most likely they won't spend years learning something they don't like. I agree that the DT guys are way closer to classical musicians than jazz musicians. Personally I've spent a lot of time practicing a lot of different styles and systems to be able to form my own hopefully fairly unique style. THAT I find way more interesting if a musician has something that is personal no matter what style of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Waterson View Post
unare of your playing till this and im VERY impressed we will be hearing a lot from you SOON

Pete I was unaware of your playing before DOH
but after this audition WOW I knew the original 4 Mike,Virgil,Thomas and Marco could pull it off but you WERE great as well.
Ill be watching for more from you and i know the bands were watching you as well
All the best
Tim
Hey Tim!

Very cool that You post here!!! I've known about you for years on the other hand, ha ha ha... ;-) Thank you soo much for your nice words and I'm glad you enjoyed my playing. I think all of the drummers would pull it off but DT found what they were looking for in Mangini. Perhaps this video clip would make you proud even though my feet are nowhere close to yours:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBeEsIt8P4
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
PRO DRUMMER

Bernhard if you see this. I also sent you a mail asking the same question.

I wonder why Aquiles and myself are not presented as drummers auditioning for Dream Theater here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/m...ginidream.html

Underneath the main video it says:
all auditions:

and then only five of the seven drummers videos are featured?

Since I'm a huge fan of Drummerworld it would sure be very cool for me on a personal level to be featured and I'm sure the same goes for Aquiles. Also saying "all auditions: " and then not show ALL auditions I see is not correct.

Cheers,
Peter Wildoer
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondy Pasteurisen View Post
Having seen the audition footage I have to say that Thomas Lang has gone up in my observations - especially after being dismissed out of hand by the gnome on keyboards for having 'interpreted' the music and that there was no place for that in DT. They take themselves so seriously, yet the music is a pubescent joke!
Well done to them all for letting the footage out, especially Roddy who failed 'Phase 3' (sheesh).
Having seen the epic pomposity of DT I feel a whole lot better about my own, erm, smaller pomposity. Who would want to be in that band?
Oh look, the "all prog and/or technical music is just pretentious wankery, and their members are equally pompous" argument. That hasn't been beaten to death or anything...

You should either keep comments like this to yourself or change your pompous opinion because just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is instantly self-indulgent. Keep it out of a thread like this especially...

My god, no matter where I go I hear this. It's sort of amusing and depressing simultaneously. I don't care how good of a musician you are, your opinion is NOT fact.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Sondy Pasteurisen
This message has been deleted by Sondy Pasteurisen.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 AM

if there were emoticons on this forum, I'd insert the pop corn eating one here
Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

DT posted a new official band photo today:

Old 05-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
if there were emoticons on this forum, I'd insert the pop corn eating one here
I'm letting that one go, my peace was stated.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
DT posted a new official band photo today:
I hope Mike is always the "New Guy." :)

Name:  neil-peart1.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  50.0 KB
Old 05-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
I hope Mike is always the "New Guy." :)
haha...

Me too. The band has had too many member changes. It's time to stick to a line up!

(granted, the last line up change was over 10 years ago...)
Old 05-03-2011, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Me too. The band has had too many member changes. It's time to stick to a line up!
They can take inspiration from King Crimson, that bastion of stability.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

or Deep Purple. Ian Paice is the only member who has been in every Mark line-up of the Deep Purple bands. He's their Fripp, well not really. But he is the stable force.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

I thought Jon Lord had always been there too. Must've missed something.

Whatever DT are like banking shares to Crimson's speculative mining venture .... there's gold in them thar hills! (or at least that's what the psychic told me). But then again, KC were progressive rock and DT are prog rock - and there's a difference.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I thought Jon Lord had always been there too. Must've missed something.

Whatever DT are like banking shares to Crimson's speculative mining venture .... there's gold in them thar hills! (or at least that's what the psychic told me). But then again, KC were progressive rock and DT are prog rock - and there's a difference.
I don't know technically how that works; but Jon lord is gone, so I guess that makes another Mark. :)

Prog rock is for ppl who abbr ev'rythg.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Ya reckn?? I thought prog was more of a Gen X thing - the post Yes, KC, ELP crowd (who probably like those bands too).

Before playing, at times the DT guitarist would say "Let's rock!". Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Fred Frith or Chris Cutler would never say "let's rock" before playing. I would pay good money to see Bob Fripp say "Let's rock!" before starting a tune lol

At heart, DT are a rock'n'roll band, just a very, very complex one with some classical devices. Same with metal generally. It's different to the old stuff but it feels the same to me as it did 40 years ago - just a bunch of fun-loving, long-haired louts making a racket to the best of their ability :)

Nothing wrong with that of course (apologies, Jerry Seinfeld) ... in my teens some of my best friends were fun-loving, long-haired louts who made a racket to the best of their ability ...

Some of the old bands were explorers and took risks - sometimes for the worst, but they were more interested in trying things out and (hopefully) taking the fans with them. That's where Thomas L and Virgil D didn't fit ... they could have just played the parts but they tossed some different ideas out there to see if they'd take. Those guys weren't going to join a band that wanted straight performances for the fans.

Pretty amazing, really ... you'd imagine those maniacal arrangements would be enough to keep anyone challenged!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Before playing, at times the DT guitarist would say "Let's rock!". Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Fred Frith or Chris Cutler would never say "let's rock" before playing. I would pay good money to see Bob Fripp say "Let's rock!" before starting a tune lol
What about: "do you want some rock'n'roll?" (Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe live):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI8Pupxs06g

:)
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Banned

I met Mike Mangini and he proved himself to be a great guy. He made a young student of mine feel very special. It is very possible personality played a role in getting the gig.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vojtech View Post
What about: "do you want some rock'n'roll?" (Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe live):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI8Pupxs06g

:)
LOL - how bizarre.

You want some more rawk'n'roll?! Can you sing along!

*followed by gentle harmonics and noodling form Steve Howe*

If I didn't see it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it ... kinda like watching Olivia Newton John doing dainty kung fu moves :)
Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ya reckn?? I thought prog was more of a Gen X thing - the post Yes, KC, ELP crowd (who probably like those bands too).

At heart, DT are a rock'n'roll band, just a very, very complex one with some classical devices. Same with metal generally. It's different to the old stuff but it feels the same to me as it did 40 years ago - just a bunch of fun-loving, long-haired louts making a racket to the best of their ability :)

Nothing wrong with that of course (apologies, Jerry Seinfeld) ... in my teens some of my best friends were fun-loving, long-haired louts who made a racket to the best of their ability ...

Some of the old bands were explorers and took risks - sometimes for the worst, but they were more interested in trying things out and (hopefully) taking the fans with them. That's where Thomas L and Virgil D didn't fit ... they could have just played the parts but they tossed some different ideas out there to see if they'd take. Those guys weren't going to join a band that wanted straight performances for the fans.

Pretty amazing, really ... you'd imagine those maniacal arrangements would be enough to keep anyone challenged!
ELP had a movie that had live recordings of the first two albums. It was called "Rock n Roll Your Eyes." They always had a barrel house blues number on each album. Emerson was asked many times what kind of pianist he was. He would say some people ask if I'm a jazz pianist but I listen to Oscar Peterson and I don't come close. Some people ask if I'm a classical pianist, but at heart I'm a rock n roll pianist. Look at Roundabout, it's riff rock with some 'classical flourishes. Bill looks like he's having too much fun. In the end, it's gotta be fun.

Prog is often riff rock in 11. But prog was so many different things. You had Tangerine Dream or Egg. A big part of what we call classic prog was the classical influence. But much of that music at the time was progressive. If you look at the music of Zep or Purple, esp the earlier stuff, it's long form songs with classical flourishes. But a bigger part was the integration of genres. They could use instruments associated with other genres. Zep used a tabla on the first album. As much as you had classical rock, you had blues rock, folk rock, art rock or country rock, etc. That is progressive because genres are class, sexually and in America regionally defined. It brings people together who before hand had nothing in common. And then you had the emergence of a national style that everyone listened to, Kansas Boston, Styx.

In music there has been a general demise of classicism over the last 20 years, though I was reading that the Met Opera sold more tickets this season than any other. They have a Saturday broadcast of operas in movie theaters through out the States, at $25.00 a clip it brings in a lot of revenue. Many of the big stars are dead or retired, in orchestral music as well. There are always people to replace them. But populist figures like Bernstein, Pavorotti or Isaac Stern seem to be a thing of the past. So even classical music is more of a cult phenomena these days.

I would hope that would allow artists to take more risk and bring the fans along. I actually haven't been listening to DT because the newer heavier stuff is not interesting to me. But I started listening to Porcupine Tree with the heavier stuff. But then I go back and listen to someof it and it is really quite good. just takes me while to catch up, (uhh I think that's age.) I think in music you have to let go, and enjoy it for what it is, and if you can't let go, that ain't the music's fault. Prog requires a lot of that. It's not Jason Mraz.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I met Mike Mangini and he proved himself to be a great guy. He made a young student of mine feel very special. It is very possible personality played a role in getting the gig.
i'll bet it's downright likely that his personality weighed in. they came right out and said they were looking for someone to be part of their "family". personality would have to be a big factor in that decision. he does seem like a great guy and that must have been a big check in the plus column for him.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Pioneer Member

I was pretty disapointed to see Mike mangini as their pick (not that he isn't amazing... because he is), but going in if i were to rank each drummer on who i thought was the most talented I would've actually put Mangini in last place. I wish Thomas Lang or Marco were chosen, but then again, I'm still really excited to see what mangini can do with their songs.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

I think many people confuse talent with hard work and "physical" achievement.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
i'll bet it's downright likely that his personality weighed in. they came right out and said they were looking for someone to be part of their "family". personality would have to be a big factor in that decision. he does seem like a great guy and that must have been a big check in the plus column for him.
Personality played a huge role, as it does in almost any audition.

Which is why the gig was Mangini's from day one.

He is from the Boston area, the band is based out of New York area, so they have the East Coast vibe connection, while everyone else lived further away.

Two of the current members of DT went to Berklee, Mangini teaches (er.. taught) at Berklee.

Mangini played on all but one of James LaBrie's solo projects (Peter Wildoer being on the most recent album).

They all knew each other through Steve Vai (John Petrucci having been on a few of the G3 tours with Vai).

There was already a friendship and bond between the band and Mangini before any of the auditions took place, and that was something the other 6 just did not have going for them.

Which as I said before, I'm almost surprised they even bothered with formal auditions and didn't just call him and say "hey, wanna be in a band?"
Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Anyhow,

an interview was posted by Drum! magazine with Mangigni about the audition process
http://www.drummagazine.com/features...-mike-mangini/

A few choice highlights:

Quote:
I think of this as wanting to be in a marriage, not a ’gig’ in the normal sense of that term.
Quote:
With regard to my sound, I took time to examine what I sound like from outside of myself on the drum set via a video camera

Quote:
I was just all business about it when I got the songs. I grabbed the nearest pencil and paper and got to work. I then bought these big pencils for kids with big erasers on them. [laughs] I wrote everything out. Then I listened to them at half speed; at 75 percent speed; at full speed; at 40 percent speed before even practicing them with the slow-downer software
Quote:
The waiting part was awful in this Twilight Zone kind of way. I almost threw up between classes at Berklee – probably that was during Marco’s audition, as I know I what time he auditioned and that is the time I got ill. And I was really wrecked because I wanted it so badly.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Founder Drummerworld

So i completed the audition movies with Peter Wildoer and Aquiles Priester

Remember: Pete and Aquiles made it into the winning three - Mike taking the job.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/p...doerdream.html

Bernhard
Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

This is a very inspiring assemblage of videos, thanks Bernard! It was nice to see each player's story in the context of a huge audition: the top flight guys you'd expect to see, some faces I've never heard that just killed it, the personalities involved on both sides of the equation, what a great thing to watch as the process unfolded.

Try to calculate how many hours of practice, how many dollars in gear, how much unbridled commitment it took to make that whole event happen. 7 top players, putting all that on the line to work with a top flight band. Very humbling.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM
PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
So i completed the audition movies with Peter Wildoer and Aquiles Priester

Remember: Pete and Aquiles made it into the winning three - Mike taking the job.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/p...doerdream.html

Bernhard
Thank you soo much Bernhard for putting up the final videos with Aquiles and me! Means a lot to me to be presented on the worlds best drum page, Drummerworld!!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
This is a very inspiring assemblage of videos, thanks Bernard! It was nice to see each player's story in the context of a huge audition: the top flight guys you'd expect to see, some faces I've never heard that just killed it, the personalities involved on both sides of the equation, what a great thing to watch as the process unfolded.

Try to calculate how many hours of practice, how many dollars in gear, how much unbridled commitment it took to make that whole event happen. 7 top players, putting all that on the line to work with a top flight band. Very humbling.
Very glad you enjoyed it "Spreggy"! I guess I might have been one of those faces you've never heard of? If so, thanks a lot! ;-)

Interesting view, yes there were lots and lots of time and effort put into this from everyone involved from booking flights/hotel up until the hours spent learning all the material etc... A huge project thinking of it that way.

Cheers and all the best my fellow drummers!
Peter Wildoer
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM

Peter, Everytime I re-watch your DT audition I get more and more impressed. And I've never even heard of you;) New fan here!!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Thank you soo much Bernhard for putting up the final videos with Aquiles and me! Means a lot to me to be presented on the worlds best drum page, Drummerworld!!! :-)

Cheers and all the best my fellow drummers!
Peter Wildoer
Awesome and beautiful playing Peter - what more can I say than thankyou :-)
Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Silver Member

Some big names and from watching the videos some really phenomenal players. How incredible was Marco Minnemann... I believe Mike deserved to win in the end but Minnemann really killed it.

Last edited by Frost; 05-05-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 AM
PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
Peter, Everytime I re-watch your DT audition I get more and more impressed. And I've never even heard of you;) New fan here!!
Thanks! Makes me very happy!!! Have to say that I love Tesseract and they are one of the bands I listen to the most at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Awesome and beautiful playing Peter - what more can I say than thankyou :-)
Thank you soo much! Glad you like it. :-)

I just want to make sure everybody read the interview that there's a link to earlier in this thread, great reading and very inspiring! Mr. Mangini is putting his heart and soul into his new task!

Cheers,
Peter
Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks! Makes me very happy!!! Have to say that I love Tesseract and they are one of the bands I listen to the most at the moment.

Thank you soo much! Glad you like it. :-)

I just want to make sure everybody read the interview that there's a link to earlier in this thread, great reading and very inspiring! Mr. Mangini is putting his heart and soul into his new task!

Cheers,
Peter
As a change, being an old school Pestilence fan that paid attention to the line up when Resurrection Macabre was released I have actually heard of you Pete :)

I was equally impressed by your audition, you certainly displayed that you are a very capable drummer, you were in the company of some fantastic musicians and you didn't get swept under the rug. To the contrary you managed to really show off incredible talent from what I've seen in the videos, you would have made a great drummer for DT.

As a side note, you performed the growls on James's solo record didn't you?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

It will be very interesting to hear the new album now! I remember Falling Into Infinity,
which wasn't very well received by the fans (although I like most of it), and then with
the change of keyboardist (Derek Sherinian out, Jordan Rudess in) booooom they
came with Metropolis Pt. 2, which was a killer concept album.

Now they have Black Clouds Silver linings out, which hasn't been received too well
(although again, I like it, haha), and I'm hoping for some booooooom with the new disc!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM

New Modern Drummer interview excerpt:
Quote:
Modern Drummer: Have you created a drumkit to fit the specific needs of Dream Theater?

Mangini: I showed up for Dream Theater ready for Dream Theater. Meaning the drumkit's core was designed years earlier, but I prepared a kit design with Dream Theater's music in mind, with Mike Portnoy's incredible drumming style in mind. My Dream Theater setup is designed for my left foot to be hitting a 26" bass drum. I'm playing totally lefty on a big bass drum. Mike had to get up off his stool and move to another stool to hit a 26" bass drum. He also had to get up and move to another kit to play a smaller bass drum. I have a 26" to my left, an 18" bass drum on my far right, and two 22" bass drums in the center of my kit.

Kit looks great. Let's all say a prayer for the new drum tech...
Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Man, as much as I'm not a DT fan, I'll be very interested to hear the new stuff, and (gasp!) might even go see them when and if they come through here. I'd love to see Mangini play that thing.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

In July they're coming to my town actually! I'm just not sure yet if I can afford it...
Old 05-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Is this going to be one of those tours where although John Petrucci lives ten minutes from my house, NY will be the last show on the last leg of the tour?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM

I heard Meg White was a possibility.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
In July they're coming to my town actually! I'm just not sure yet if I can afford it...
Fairly certain they are coming down to Australia as well. Their last tour went really well, they brought Pain of Salvation for support though and most of the people I spoke to agreed that they stole the show on the Melbourne leg.

I recall the time before that was a three hour set, their first tour of Australia and they bring that down here, it was incredible.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:20 PM

Default Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Thomas Lang very very BEST !!!!!!