DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Default Playing with more than one stick model

I have always been a guy who has been after that 1 magical stick that can do it all. I was always able to find it with any brand I played, but with my current brand of choice I am having a hard time finding "that 1". Some gigs I can get away with a light stick and others I feel like I need a bat, but I really just want one model. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Playing with more than one stick model

It's only a problem if you think there is a single perfect stick to be found. I don't think there is such a thing, so instead I've tried to find models and brands that will fit specific situations.

I keep about five different models in the stick bag at any one time and always have different options for different uses. There's nothing wrong with adjusting what you're using so you have the right tool for the job.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

I'm just the opposite. I try to find the best stick for whatever musical application I'm in.

I've used everything from 5As, 5As Extremes, 7As, 8Ds, Peter Eskine Ride Sticks, etc.

With that said, I generally stay with the Vic Firth AJ3 or AJ6. I even have 3 different pairs of brushes that I'll use for different textures. My main brushes, however, are the VF Heritage brushes.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

I consider my standby to be *almost* the "magic" one- ProMark 808 Nylon. I've played folk to metal with it. I keep a pair of PM Elvin Jones Jazz in the bag just in case I'm in a *really* low-volume situation but multi-rod models wouldn't sound right. And speaking of specialty sticks, of course I keep multi-rods, brushes, mallets, & Vater Wood Handle Whips in the bag. But the 808 gives me everything I need apart from specialty stick needs.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

Well.. choosing sticks is very personal.. I don't feel that need for only one stick model so I don't see it as a problem.

I used only Vic Firth X5B's for a very long time.. Now some time ago I started buying different sticks just to experiment and I'm loving it. I have 7A's, 5B's, 2B's, SD1 Maples.. I still find myself more confortable with X5B's, but all of them have their place in different situations.

Cheers. :)
Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Pioneer Member

I have tried to settle on using just one kind of sticks for a while and I can't. I like a 5B so within that size range, I use lot's of different kinds depending on the music and what cymbals I choose.

The ProMark 5B with a wood tip is a very comfy stick for me but when I play with a K ride, I like to use a 5B with nylon tips so that I get a little brighter stick sound on my darker ride.

My favorite stick is the Trueline 5B wood or nylon but sadly they have gone out of business and I only have 4 pairs left. Billy Ward's new sig stick "The Bulb" is the closest I've found to the old Truelines but it is a little lighter than the 5B I'm used to.

Nick, I wouldn't worry about finding the 1 perfect stick. It's good to have different tools for different jobs.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

I've heard different schools of thought on this.

One says that you should have one stick and make it work for whatever you do.

The other is the 'right tool for the job' philosophy.

I go with the latter. I have about 4-5 types of sticks in my main stick bag at any time (along with rods, brushes, etc). I'm always glad that I do although 1 or 2 types may languish for a season.

I think it also depends on how many different hats you are called on to wear. I was bashing away last night playing rock/blues/funk. The night before I was at a gig where I had to keep a real handle on the volume. The stick types were different for both nights.

I also find that, for me, stick tip shape plays a significant role in what I'm using. My general stick for medium loud to loud playing is a Firth 85A. My stick for medium light to some light playing is a Firth Erskine Ride. VERY light playing - Firth AJ6. Very different tip types although the Erskine and 85A are not that different in weight.

I've never found a 'magic' model although I went through a phase in the '80's where I used Firth SD9's for everything.

Interesting to note is that not all pros go with just one model of stick. There are 2 models of the Erskine stick that have very different tips on them (I think a slight difference in weight). When Johnny Rabb had his original drum stick company, there were 2 Jim Keltner models. I loved both of those sticks but they were very different. One was a long but beefy '5A-sh' model and the other was a long, slender stick with a bit bigger diameter than a 7A. My guess is JK uses a few different stick sizes.

In the end it's a personal decision to go with a solo bat or many bats but I've yet to find a one size fits all.

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Gold Member

I have found my perfect stick, Regal 5B Maple. The only problem is that I hear Regal may be in trouble and may be going out of business (Say it isn't so, Joe). I can't seem to find that combination of size, weight and tip any other brand. Guess I'll start all over again.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Silver Member

No, I have not found one stick for all uses. I use several different models during sets. Changing sticks with different heads are the easiest way to change your sound; especially changing your ride sound. I am kind of picky and I get bored of the same sounds very easily. I do like the Buddy Rich sticks but I stopped using them because of the ridiculous white paint they are slathered with.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 PM

[quote=ineedaclutch;833704 I do like the Buddy Rich sticks but I stopped using them because of the ridiculous white paint they are slathered with.[/QUOTE]

For the most part I like a 5A to 5B feel at about 16" to 16 1/4" in length. I keep three magic sticks handy.

Vic Firth Stanton Moore Signature - 16 1/4" .550 diameter length.
I really like the 5A feel with a little added lenght so I can lay into it when needed. I also like the elogated tear drop tip. This gives me a nice clean sound on my ride.

Vater Fusion - 16" length & .580 diameter
The Fusion has more of a 5B feel that I can use to get a bigger sound, and I really like the round tip. This stick feel very balanced in my hand and the round tip gives an articulate full ride sound.

Vic Firth Buddy Rich Signature Wood Tip: 16 5/16" length & .590 diameter.
I like these when I'm play my classic rock - AC/DC, KISS, Boston, Zeppelin. It feels a little heavy but has great balance and rebound.

To ineedaclutch: I also could do without the white finish of the BR sig. Alas, I think I found it. Vater has a stick called the "West Side". It has the exact same specs as the BR, and it looks like the same tip. I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.

http://vater.com/products/product.cfm?M=362

Cheers,
-r
Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvsmb View Post
For the most part I like a 5A to 5B feel at about 16" to 16 1/4" in length. I keep three magic sticks handy.

To ineedaclutch: I also could do without the white finish of the BR sig. Alas, I think I found it. Vater has a stick called the "West Side". It has the exact same specs as the BR, and it looks like the same tip. I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.

http://vater.com/products/product.cfm?M=362

Cheers,
-r
Thanks for the heads up. I will see if I can find a pair at GC, and let you know how they are.