DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 PM
SickRick

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
I also remain amazed at how people are always going on and on about this his style fits/doesn't fit stuff. Are these people really telling me that most of the guys seen here can't play any way they want if they put their minds to it? Believe it or not, it's not just Vinnie C. There are hundreds of great drummers capable of this skillset.
I agree with everything you said but this. Even Vinne (who is probably one of the if not the most versatile guys around) doesn't play any style of music absolutely authentically. Sure, he could jump in any band on the planet and sound great, but there might still be a difference between great and authentic. For example I believe he could play a samba / bossa nova gig or a afro-cuban gig and sound great, but very likely a guy from brazil or a guy from cuba would sound (and look which for a band like DT is probably important) more authentic.

Just like with the Rock/Jazz idiom. You don't let your hair grow and buy a double pedal because you want to be an authentic jazz musician. You do it because you want to be an authentic Rock musician and that is - if your good at it - what you will get called for. Easy as that if you ask me.

Certainly many hundrets of players are out there who could fit in any style or at least adapt to any style real fast (hell.... even I made it into a Reggae band once without and experience on that fiel beforehand and still get asked a lot of questions by some students on how to play that or that reggae beat) and the seven guys in these audition certainly would belong into this category, but when it comes to absolute authenticism you need a guy who loves the style music and breathes it in and out. You know.... I still believe that about 10000 drummers from Jamaica would outplay me in any Reggae band because these guys grow up listening to that music and drinking it up with their mothers milk. Not saying you couldn't learn it, but there is more to it than just the drumming. At least on the level we are talking here in this thread.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

I thought Mangini's emotional reaction to getting the gig was awesome. I'm happy any time I see someone get something s/he worked really hard for and wants really badly. He poured his heart and soul into getting that gig, did everything right and his hard work and preparation paid off. As I said before, a lot of us could probably learn something from Mike's approach and apply it to our own lives. And I'm not just talking about drumming.

Congrats to Mike but also to the other fine drummers who auditioned. I don't really know much about Dream Theater but I was still blown away by all the drummers.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

The interesting thing is that they did choose many of the uber players that are so criticized in drum forms, in feel v technique question. The BIG Four Lang, Mangini, Minnemann and Virgil. Here it was, a real forum for these guys to strut their stuff. And they were all phenomenal. And of course people complain. Does that surprise you? "Oh, I was left a little taken back by him saying this" all this pansy-assed shit. If you couldn't just sit back and enjoy this without getting critical I don't know what to say. I was glad that Aydee got into it. Not his music, but a real hoot, right Abe? This was a once in a lifetime event. You get to see these seven fine drummers vying for the spot.

People are always looking for some way to put down metal, some way to put down prog, some way to put down hip-hop. It's so easy to dismiss a genre of music. But you look at bands like DT and Spock's Beard with Neil Morse. These guys know their stuff. They are able to write in a myriad of hard rock, heavy metal or prog styles. They not only reference Dregs, but Zappa, Yes, ELP, Led Zep, Floyd, remember that one line, "let's do the Floyd number" as well as fusion bands like Mahavishnu, Dregs, Return to Forever, classic metal bands like Queensryche, Maiden, Metallica or Sabbath. They even have some U2 ish stuff. Doesn't everybody? Half these bands sound lie U2 these days. That's not to say they don't have their own style. But if you had been listening to a lot of Stockhausen, Pink Floyd may not have seen so unique. If you were listening to a lot of Chess, Led Zep wouldn't have seen so unique. Get my drift? It all comes from somewhere.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:30 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

[quote=aydee;835962]
Taking some of these great players and putting em jump through hoops, curve balls and all, and televising it to the whole world wasn't classy.

This is what auditions are LIKE to se if you can step up to the plate
Mike Nailed it
Virgil took a chance trying to modify the pattern,
Marco and Mike and Pete seemed to be able to hanle it as well

A friend of mine Shayne Gaalaas auditioned cattle call style for Steve Vai got through 3 songs did well and Steve called another song Shane had to think for a minute to remember the song ....
Steve yells out NEXT.......................
As for the worlds greatest drummers EVEN MIke would not say that with Vinnie in the room
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Mike Portnoy always was the first to praise his own heroes like the very Neil Peart. And he
is always the first to state that he's "no great drummer". I'm not quoting, but something in
that regard. I don't think anybody in DT believe they invented something. Although they
did invent their style as we hear it today, and they are as influental as their ancestors were
to them.

There are lots of prog metal bands nowadays that are borrowing half their ideas from DT.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Mike Portnoy always was the first to praise his own heroes like the very Neil Peart. And he
is always the first to state that he's "no great drummer". I'm not quoting, but something in
that regard. I don't think anybody in DT believe they invented something. Although they
did invent their style as we hear it today, and they are as influental as their ancestors were
to them.

There are lots of prog metal bands nowadays that are borrowing half their ideas from DT.
Again very well stated. I think I will just let you guys talk from now on. I just get into trouble all the time. :) There are very many well spoken people on this site. Good job guys. I have lots to say, but don't always have the tack to get it out properly. Maybe I could have someone proof read my drafts. :)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I have lots to say, but don't always have the tack to get it out properly.
Ditto!!! I don't really feel like one of the particularly well-spoken people, but thanks for the consent! :)
Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
sticks4drums

Us average people have to stick together you know. :) I had to stop fighting with Matt and Mediocre, because they are too damn smart for me. :) I had to kiss and make up.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

I hope you guys weren't taken back by my brash remarks. I was just trying to be funny, and perhaps poke a little fun at what we do here on these forums. The old adage, you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time comes in here. My attitude is that these guys are doing it, and they call their own shots. We all know the dedication and work it takes to make that happen. That in and of itself is worthy of respect.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:14 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
I hope you guys weren't taken back by my brash remarks. I was just trying to be funny, and perhaps poke a little fun at what we do here on these forums. The old adage, you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time comes in here. My attitude is that these guys are doing it, and they call their own shots. We all know the dedication and work it takes to make that happen. That in and of itself is worthy of respect.
Not at all. It is such a fine art on these sites to try and get your point across without sounding like you are preaching to the choir. We all have our opinions and not one of us us usually completely right about anything. As long as we all remember that, and support each other like brothers and sisters, we should be all good. That is one thing I saw in the Dream Theater tryout. Everyone was very nice and patient with each other, because they all had respect for each other. We need to show the same courtesy on these sites.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Again very well stated. I think I will just let you guys talk from now on. I just get into trouble all the time. :) There are very many well spoken people on this site. Good job guys. I have lots to say, but don't always have the tack to get it out properly. Maybe I could have someone proof read my drafts. :)
No reason not to say or edit your piece,S4D! I hope that wont hold you back. I've enjoyed your posts. This place would be boring if everyone agreed with each other all the time with well crafted paragraphs..

Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh yes, that's for sure!!

I can relate to that. It struck me as very odd when Jordan said it was interesting that they
chose seven of the best drummers they know (they know), and even of the seven
not all of them could tackle what they were presenting them. As if they were über-musicians
from another planet, ignoring i.e. the whole fascinating jazz realm with brillant drummers
(and musicians in general) - another idiom, but stellar playing too. So I was disappointed
with Jordan saying that.
I agree the quote is a bit, well, not quite right. But it was obviously said (and perhaps edited) to create the "drama" for the presentation.

Jordan has done several projects with Rod Morgenstein, and a host of others. DT has toured with many other guys who could have done the gig. Also, who knows who else might have been asked, but just couldn't make it.

For example, I heard a rumor Bobby Jarzombek was asked, but he just couldn't due to his touring commitments.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ken, thanks for an awesome thread. I thought I'd be the last person to participate, but its been so much more. Its been great to read the many different views on what was probably the most visible example of 'process' the drummers go thru at the top level of the music business.. almost like a watching & discussing the game from the dugout.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Personally I've never gotten the whole DT thing. I just don't feel it and as said before if you want this original sound with a cool vibe let's revisit Dixie Dregs circa 1979-80. There was this one thing they did called I'm Freakin Out that seems to be the catalyst for so much of what DT is given credit for now. In fact I hope that over the past 20 or so odd years that Mike Portnoy took time to thank Rod Morgenstein for a whole lot of things..
He has. Everyone in DT are huge Dregs fans, and have done Dregs covers here and there.

And the kicker is, the (current) DT keyboardist, Jordan Rudness, was in the Dregs for a short time. Several members of DT have also done side projects with Rod Morgenstein.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:45 PM
sticks4drums

Say what you want about Dream Theatre, but they are all fantastically talented musicians. I am not a big fan, but I have two of their DVD's just to watch them all play.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Rebel

Watching the audition videos of - Thomas Lang - Virgil Donati - Marco Minemann - Derek Roddy...they played great and remarkably but Mangini fitted the shoes of Dream Theatre/Theater, besides his technique I think he slided his feel in, adding several contributing factors that the band considered it important.

Congratulations to all drummers involved! Good job!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I agree the quote is a bit, well, not quite right. But it was obviously said (and perhaps edited) to create the "drama" for the presentation.

Jordan has done several projects with Rod Morgenstein, and a host of others. DT has toured with many other guys who could have done the gig. Also, who knows who else might have been asked, but just couldn't make it.

For example, I heard a rumor Bobby Jarzombek was asked, but he just couldn't due to his touring commitments.
I thought guys like Jason Rullo (Symphony X) or even Gavin Harrison could have been worth
a discussion, but I suppose they're busy with their own stuff and bands, especially Gavin.
And Gavin is probably not too much the metal/rock drummer.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He has. Everyone in DT are huge Dregs fans, and have done Dregs covers here and there.

And the kicker is, the (current) DT keyboardist, Jordan Rudness, was in the Dregs for a short time. Several members of DT have also done side projects with Rod Morgenstein.
Funny thing is that when I first heard the Dregs, I couldn't get passed the Mahavishnu meets Kansas style of the band. Throw in some Zep and southern charm . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Ken, thanks for an awesome thread. I thought I'd be the last person to participate, but its been so much more. Its been great to read the many different views on what was probably the most visible example of 'process' the drummers go thru at the top level of the music business.. almost like a watching & discussing the game from the dugout.

I'll take that, since I'm the guy who usually gets four posts on my threads, three of them mine. :)
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

as much as i admire the god-given talent these drummers have, their playing, and bands like DT, etc, leave me cold.

oh believe me, i'd love to kill a kit the way these guys do as far as technique goes. but as far as listening, i'd take a good ol' Al Green or Motown/Funk Brothers medley over any of these types of bands any day of the week.

two totally different sides of the coin, but both equally talented in their own ways.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 04-30-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Pete Wildoer you are a wonderful drummer. I think if there were any BIG winners from this whole thing it was you. Sure Mike got the gig, but he was already out there and capable of landing any number of things. Your ascension on the other hand comes off as something very cool. What a fantastic springboard. I can't imagine this not affecting you in a positive way. Geez you've got ridiculous skills and a whole lot of class. It's also great you're hanging around now and I hope you stick around past this little publicity surge.

As for Mangini, he decided he was going to get the gig, did the homework and got the gig...plain and simple. As for these bring your own style-not bring your own style discussions, I think its probably the wisest to do what's required to get the gig. Then once you have it and you get comfortable with the guys, then your own stuff gets in there.

I also remain amazed at how people are always going on and on about this his style fits/doesn't fit stuff. Are these people really telling me that most of the guys seen here can't play any way they want if they put their minds to it? Believe it or not, it's not just Vinnie C. There are hundreds of great drummers capable of this skillset. And Mike happens to be one of the best at it although I've remained perplexed about the kind of music that really moves him. To him I think DT is exactly where his heart is musically. But hey ...when you're a beast like that and can do so many things...more power to you.

I've seen some people already ragging on him for being overly happy about winning, But I just think that's what a superbly focused guy who sees life goals in terms of winning and losing does, whether it's DT, a Berklee appointment, WFD comps, or a game of cards. I think too many mistake that as some confused invasion of artistic principles when it's actually a whole lot more positive than that.

Personally I've never gotten the whole DT thing. I just don't feel it and as said before if you want this original sound with a cool vibe let's revisit Dixie Dregs circa 1979-80. There was this one thing they did called I'm Freakin Out that seems to be the catalyst for so much of what DT is given credit for now. In fact I hope that over the past 20 or so odd years that Mike Portnoy took time to thank Rod Morgenstein for a whole lot of things.

OK I admit it. I sold out and liked this...although I still couldn't believe how many people refused to believe in their heart of hearts that Mangini had locked up the gig months ago when every piece of reliable press and word of mouth was there for anyone to see. Well then...I suppose that ability for so many to suspend belief was why this turned out very successful for all involved.
I whole heartedly agree with everything in Matt's post. I could not have said it better.
PIT Class of 1989
Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 AM

One of the 5 times I've seen Dream Theater perform was with The Dixie Dreggs, at the Rave in Milwaukee Wisconsin. As a drummer, the chance to see Mike Portnoy and Rod Morgenstein at the same concert is easily one of my greatest drum-related memories! It was full of awesome! :)

James Anthony
http://www.facebook.com/StrangeworldRox
Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 AM

I spent some time with Derek Roddy last year at the Drum Road Trip in Upstate New York. So I was super excited for him to see that he got called into audition...if for no other reason than it would be a great boon for his reputation and hopefully lead him to other great opportunities. I was rooting for him.

His post here bear out some of the philosophies we spoke about in NY...about the BUSINESS of drumming. Yes, Dream Theater is an amazing gig for a Prog/Metal player. But at what cost to the other aspects of ones life?

I agree with Derrek that a cult band like DT isn't necessarily going to be the most lucrative move for some players. Why would a guy like Lang, who charges $800 a head for his drum camp and does well with his dvd's (and is a nicely paid hired gun) want to join a band and where he now has to take on the debt involved in being a member?? It had better be BIG $$ to take on the 'band member' role rather that 'the hired gun' role.

I know lots of guys who go on tour, come home in debt and to a family who barely recognizes them. It happens...

No one wants to end up like Richie Hayward...in his 60's and sick with no medical insurance.

My point is...there were many more factors to consider for the 7 auditionees other than "when does the tour start'?

From the looks of it, the DT guys have a stable small to medium size business going for them. By contrast, when Metallica hired Rob Trujillo, they gave him A MILLION DOLLARS UP FRONT. Now we are talking!

I did enjoy the audition vids...and thought every drummer played to their strengths. All of them were phenomenal. I would have loved to hear what Virgil or Lang came up with at more length, or to hear a more extreme take that Derrek or Peter could add to DT.

I am an old school Prog fan ...ELP, YES, FLOYD...but after watching this whole process I can see why the critics back then HATED prog. So pretensions and overly dramatic!! So it is no surprise that the DT have a lot of those same qualities. But they seem like nice guys to me.

But Derrek did make me proud!!

t
PIT Class of 1989
Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 AM

One question though...Why wasn't Terry Bozzio invited to audition? That would have be incredible to see, and probably made sense for that music. Although...he would have been in full 'interpretative" mode all along!
PIT Class of 1989
Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOnTheFloorTom View Post
One question though...Why wasn't Terry Bozzio invited to audition? That would have be incredible to see, and probably made sense for that music. Although...he would have been in full 'interpretative" mode all along!
They would of had to bring in a thousand more toms for him, and then listen to him tinkle around on everything. :)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bozzio is going to audition. He's still setting up his set. I couldn't pass that one up. Notice the age of these guys, all under 40.

I think that people who don't get prog or are overly critical of it do not understand the satire in it. Many of these guys wanted to be jazz players, and of course Bruford has spoke at length about his love of jazz, esp Max, Morello and Art. Emerson loved Oscar Peterson and Dave Brubeck. But this was the music of their time. Overly dramatic? It's English music. If anything the English know their dramatics.

I can understand that people don't get the satire. I went to visit my folks the other day and joked about spending 3.99 to fill up. I said, "I could remember the good old days when I paid 3.83," which was what I paid the week before. They didn't get the humor, that someday, probably next week I'll wish I could have paid 3.99 a gallon. You can go through life explaining yourself; but that is no fun.

As Peter said, it would be nice to see more. A dvd with the best audition takes of what these seven had to offer would be great. I'd buy it.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
. Notice the age of these guys, all under 40.
Umm....not true. Most were in their 40's. Virgil is 52. Mangini is 48 himself.

As for Bozzio, I couldn't see it happening. At this point in his career, I doubt Bozzio's auditions for things, you hire him, or don't. And at age 60(!) he is quite a bit older than everyone else in DT.

And while Bozzio is a very humble person as a player, he is a shrewed businessman. He would want a guaranteed contract, and stipulations to cover himself financially if Portnoy came back, and such. Plus he's not much of a fan of learning a back catalog. Just no way would he work out. And as alluded to by others, I can't see him making that level of commitment to the band at this point in his career. And on an odd note, everyone in DT is happily married, Bozzio is twice divorced. In the end, he'd still lose out to Mangini.

But we could be here all day making a list of drummers who could have auditioned.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:03 AM

[quote=

And while Bozzio is a very humble person as a player, he is a shrewed businessman. He would want a guaranteed contract, and stipulations to cover himself financially if Portnoy came back, and such. Plus he's not much of a fan of learning a back catalog. .[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth! Did you read the MD interview (or was it DRUM!) where Bozzio gave all the dirt on his past gigs? He ain't no fool!! He sure would want a buy out clause when Portney inevitably returns, plus %'s of merch and the rest.

In that same article, he outlines a 'creative work environment" based on improv and jamming...rather than learning set parts that were pre-written by a composer or a past drummer.
PIT Class of 1989
Old 05-01-2011, 05:11 AM

Interesting collection of audition videos. I did think it odd that Lang and Minneman were not selected based on criticisms of bringing too much "interpretation" to the music. I see that as a good thing; but if the band members want more of a Portnoy clone, that is their decision to make.

Mangini was definitely impressive: I think he and Minneman expressed the most energy in their playing along with killer chops. Mangini also seemed like a really personable guy.

As for Dream Theater in general, never really cared for them--that kind of prog rock always seemed to me to be a combination of pretension (like Rush on a really bad day) and Cheez Whiz. Don't get me wrong: all the players appear to have great chops, but most of the music leaves something to be really desired. Overboard technical displays can turn to boredom easily.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Umm....not true. Most were in their 40's. Virgil is 52. Mangini is 48 himself.
wow, they're older than I thought. After I wrote it I thought oh Virgil must be well in his 40s, but I though Mangini was much younger. But Extreme were big in the 80s, weren't they? He looks good for his age. :) I am sure he has taken care of his interests as has Mike Portnoy. You don't have to be shrewd, you just have to have a shrewd agent.

Portnoy put up a video on youtube of himself and his boy playing drums. I think he is going through a midlife crisis, and I think part of it has to do with what people have been talking about. Weckl said the same thing,. He said, "when I was young playing drums for 12 hours a day, that was all that mattered. Now all that matters is my daughter."
Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ain't that the truth! Did you read the MD interview (or was it DRUM!) where Bozzio gave all the dirt on his past gigs? He ain't no fool!! He sure would want a buy out clause when Portney inevitably returns, plus %'s of merch and the rest.

In that same article, he outlines a 'creative work environment" based on improv and jamming...rather than learning set parts that were pre-written by a composer or a past drummer.
It was DrumHead Magazine.

I could see Bozzio coming in and doing a great album, but when it came time to tour, he'd lose interest in playing all the old stuff. And touring is the bands bread and butter.

Quote:
wow, they're older than I thought. After I wrote it I thought oh Virgil must be well in his 40s, but I though Mangini was much younger. But Extreme were big in the 80s, weren't they? He looks good for his age. :) I am sure he has taken care of his interests as has Mike Portnoy. You don't have to be shrewd, you just have to have a shrewd agent.

Portnoy put up a video on youtube of himself and his boy playing drums. I think he is going through a midlife crisis, and I think part of it has to do with what people have been talking about. Weckl said the same thing,. He said, "when I was young playing drums for 12 hours a day, that was all that mattered. Now all that matters is my daughter."
Even the guys in Dream Theater aren't that young. Images and Words came out in 1991, that was 20 years ago.

As for Portnoy, between seeing him briefly at NAMM and the last few video interviews he's given, I've never seem him look happier. It seems being out of DT has felt liberating for him.

He has admitted over the years that he is very OCD. And so in the band, he wasn't just the drummer. He co-produced all the albums, directed all the DVDs, wrote lyrics and music, and had this insane database of every song played at every gig in every city the band had ever played at, and he would use that to write a custom set list for every night of a tour.
So it wasn't drumming that burnt him out, it was doing everything else. And I think it got the point that he just didn't know how to say, "someone else needs to handle this". So he just stopped altogether.

But for the rest of band, Tom hit it earlier. They're not Metallica. 10 million world wide sales is nothing to sneeze at, but the band needs to tour to make an income. John Petrucci said it in the first video, they built a business, and they need to keep it going.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Mike Mangini is Dream Theater's new drummer.

Cool.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Portnoy put up a video on youtube of himself and his boy playing drums. I think he is going through a midlife crisis, and I think part of it has to do with what people have been talking about.
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum
As for Portnoy, between seeing him briefly at NAMM and the last few video interviews he's given, I've never seem him look happier. It seems being out of DT has felt liberating for him.
Delta, what do you base your assumptions? Did you see the MP-interview I gave a link a
page or so before in this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer
Many of these guys wanted to be jazz players
I don't think this is true for the guys in DT, or for most of the new school, prog metal, musicians.
If anything, they tend to classical music I'd say. Jordan Rudess was at Julliard at age 9.
DT clearly go for intriguing composition, not improvisation in the sense that jazz musicians
work on and explore.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOnTheFloorTom
One question though...Why wasn't Terry Bozzio invited to audition?
I've heard Bozzio say in an interview years ago that he's not very much interested in "popular
music" these days, meaning including music as DT plays, I suppose. Nor would he listen
to it much, as it seems. So I think he wouldn't be interested at all. And I agree with the others,
he's probably too old for the intensity DT will be carrying on writing, touring and traveling.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
not enough "ostinatos" in DT music for Terry.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Delta, what do you base your assumptions? Did you see the MP-interview I gave a link a
page or so before in this thread? .
Yes, but I am basing it on having gone through it. :) I think when guys get to be Mike's age they reevaluate their life. I'm not saying that burn out and other factors are not the cause. I am just adding that it is possible that a lot of that has to do with where he is in his life. They are not mutually exclusive. Relentless touring and groupies are fun at 24. Not so fun at 44. when you have to choose between family and being a rock star, the wise man chooses the former.

BTW Wait 3 years Ian. :)

Quote:
I don't think this is true for the guys in DT, or for most of the new school, prog metal, musicians.
If anything, they tend to classical music I'd say. Jordan Rudess was at Julliard at age 9.
DT clearly go for intriguing composition, not improvisation in the sense that jazz musicians
work on and explore.
That is one of the interesting dichotomies here. While the old school guys often wanted to be jazz musicians and certainly grew up listening to swing, the new school guys grew up listening to the old school guys.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SycTa5NuFs

I found this funny...
Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
Ohmygawd..... that was funny!!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Hitler should know, Italians make the best metal drummers. :)
Old 05-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hitler should know, Italians make the best metal drummers. :)
Norway/Sweden/Finland might disagree. :-P
Old 05-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Not really funny if you understand what's being spoken...

Delta: I didn't think Mike gave the impression of a man in midlife crisis or so, but who knows...

By the way, just to make sure, I meant classical music as in Beethoven etc, not as Rush
or Yes :)!