DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default So, how frivolous is this?

I've been touting the Tama Stagemaster single-braced stuff for some time now. I even love the Iron Cobra JUNIOR pedals (got two). However - the Stagemaster hi-hat finally gave out and I had to replace it.

Of course, I kept telling myself I'd get the same thing again. But in a frivolous move, I found my old DW baseball cap I received as a gift for buying a new DW kit long ago. Then I thought, "I wish I had some DW stuff so I could justify wearing the hat!"

So, I picked up a nice really heavy DW5500D three-legged hi-hat stand that you can jack a truck up on. And you know, I love it. I missed having one - now my hats don't go anywhere.

Then I thought, "you know, it'd be nice if my bass drum pedal matched my hi-hat pedal - and maybe somebody would give me a DW t-shirt for getting one!". So the next visit to the Guitar Center brought home a DW5000 turbo single pedal, and the guy even threw in a t-shirt to sweeten the deal!.

I play so much better now ;) Pretty girly story, eh? But true.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: So, how frivolous is this?

I don't think it's frivolous. There's nothing wrong w/ treating ourselves to some nice stuff once and awhile. It's not like it's being bought to sit on a shelf and look good. Go for it and enjoy it.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

Bo, you're a cheap promo merchandise slut. That latest job with the famouse appendages is clearly getting to you, lol!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:59 AM

I never really understood why DW's hihat stands are so ridiculously expensive. I own a 5500 myself, that I bought used on craigslist. When compared to my taye 6000 series hi hat stand, which is equally as heavy, and cost $85 brand new, I don't think the 5500 was worth it. I also like the clutch on the taye stand much more, because it makes it very easy to take the top hat off, because it uses a slot that locks into place with a twist.

Congrats on the shirt though.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
.......... Then I thought, "you know, it'd be nice if my bass drum pedal matched my hi-hat pedal - and maybe somebody would give me a DW t-shirt for getting one!".
!?!?!?!?!?

Yep, you said it.......girly it is. Don't trip over your new gucci, go-faster, matching pedals now will you. :-)
Old 04-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've been touting the Tama Stagemaster single-braced stuff for some time now. I even love the Iron Cobra JUNIOR pedals (got two). However - the Stagemaster hi-hat finally gave out and I had to replace it.

Of course, I kept telling myself I'd get the same thing again. But in a frivolous move, I found my old DW baseball cap I received as a gift for buying a new DW kit long ago. Then I thought, "I wish I had some DW stuff so I could justify wearing the hat!"

So, I picked up a nice really heavy DW5500D three-legged hi-hat stand that you can jack a truck up on. And you know, I love it. I missed having one - now my hats don't go anywhere.

Then I thought, "you know, it'd be nice if my bass drum pedal matched my hi-hat pedal - and maybe somebody would give me a DW t-shirt for getting one!". So the next visit to the Guitar Center brought home a DW5000 turbo single pedal, and the guy even threw in a t-shirt to sweeten the deal!.

I play so much better now ;) Pretty girly story, eh? But true.
Yep.

It's time to go shoe shopping now. You can't have old ratty shoes playing on your new pedals.

Treat yourself to a mani pedi too. You deserve it.

Congrats on the new gear, BTW.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 AM

If you can see it in your mind, you can manifest it in your life.
Grats on the new gear. You willed it into existence for yourself.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_symlink View Post
I never really understood why DW's hihat stands are so ridiculously expensive. I own a 5500 myself, that I bought used on craigslist. When compared to my taye 6000 series hi hat stand, which is equally as heavy, and cost $85 brand new, I don't think the 5500 was worth it. I also like the clutch on the taye stand much more, because it makes it very easy to take the top hat off, because it uses a slot that locks into place with a twist.

Congrats on the shirt though.
Yeah, but Drum Workshop rolls off the tongue better than Taye. You gotta have more than one syllable ;)

And I did get new shoes a week ago (it's rare to find Nike tennis shoes that aren't cross-trainers or runners) too. I'm considering the mani-pedi though. Maybe Mo would be up for that....
Old 04-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Bo, you're a cheap promo merchandise slut. That latest job with the famouse appendages is clearly getting to you, lol!
You know, it is. The new drums showed up at the warehouse the other day for the gig - a number of Yamaha Oak Custom drums, hardware and a collection of Paiste cymbals to try. They told me it doesn't matter that all the drums don't match because they'll be covered anyway. But I've always loved the Oak Customs - closest thing to my bubingas. At some point I'll set 'em up and tune them, and then they get mounted for rehearsals.

Amazing that these beautiful drums will be living on a rolling platform stored outside, eh? (I can feel everyone wincing!) Probably after a year of that we'll trash 'em and get more.....
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Well. I can see why you like the DW5000 series kick pedal, it's an "industry" standard ... I had a single and a double, for years. And when I played a friends kit, his IC Junior reminded me very much of the DW5000.
As far as the DW hi-hat stand ... had one ... sold it ... a jack stand it was. Being my hi-hats weight "way less" than my car, I just didn't see the need. My Steve Gadd era Yamaha single braced hi-hat stand (700 series) fits the bill quite well, for a traditional hi-hat stand .... and my Yamaha WHS 860S ... rack mounted, cable operated, places "almost anywhere", sweet !!!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Well. I can see why you like the DW5000 series kick pedal, it's an "industry" standard ... I had a single and a double, for years. And when I played a friends kit, his IC Junior reminded me very much of the DW5000.
As far as the DW hi-hat stand ... had one ... sold it ... a jack stand it was. Being my hi-hats weight "way less" than my car, I just didn't see the need. My Steve Gadd era Yamaha single braced hi-hat stand (700 series) fits the bill quite well, for a traditional hi-hat stand .... and my Yamaha WHS 860S ... rack mounted, cable operated, places "almost anywhere", sweet !!!
Yeah, I've noticed that every pedal I tend to own feels just like a DW500 in the end, which for me, means it really feels like the original Camco chain-drive before DW took over production. I've even made the Trick über-expensive pedal feel like a DW5000.... And I know I probably go back and forth about the hat stand - I really dug how simple and light the single-braced Tama Stagemaster was, but I guess I'm in a "I'm tired of the hi-hat sliding away from me" mood this time around. I had debated getting the DW3500 or the DW7000 single-braced, but the 3500 seemed too thin for the money, and the 7000 wasn't that much cheaper than the 5500D and had to be ordered.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

now i feel bad about having mating 9000 pedals :$

but my pearl did give out in fairness so i thought id treat myself :P bloody heavy though.

however. congratulations on the new gear and getting them to throw the shirt in :)

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 04-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've noticed that every pedal I tend to own feels just like a DW500 ..... the original Camco chain-drive before DW took over production. I've even made the Trick über-expensive pedal feel like a DW5000....
And there ain't nothin' wrong with that. Billy Cobham played Camco's, hard, great pedal. The "only" improvement you could make on it really, was the floor plate. Which DW did. And basically built their empire upon that foundation.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
And there ain't nothin' wrong with that. Billy Cobham played Camco's, hard, great pedal. The "only" improvement you could make on it really, was the floor plate. Which DW did. And basically built their empire upon that foundation.
Yeah, I guess if I really wanted to stick with a unique-feeling pedal, I would have kept using a Ludwig Speed King or a Ghost. Those are the only two pedals that I've found with feels that cannot be replicated on other pedals.

So now I have a couple of Iron Cobra Jr.'s up for sale if anyone wants them. They feel just like DW5000's!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 PM

Well, Bo, one thing i can say is that i was using iron cobra double pedals, and once i bought my DW 8002B double pedal, i noticed an instant and huge improvement in my playing.

I love how heavy these pedals feel, i know everyone is going for lighter, but man, the footboard follows my foot, and the heavy beater really thumps out the kicks, I love DW pedals.

I have not had an opportunity to check out the hi hat stands yet, but my gibraltar stand is perfect (has the neat little ring for adjusting the hi hat distance on the fly....if anyone knows what im talking about) Though i do occasionally stomp on it and the top hat slides way up
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Seriously, if I can have DW5000 pedals then anyone can ;-)

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

going to post some pictures bo?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
going to post some pictures bo?
Only if the female model is available.... ;)
Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 PM

For the price of a 5000 series single pedal, you can get a taye 602c double pedal. The 600 series of pedals is second only to the taye's metalworks pedals which are comparable to dw's 9000 series.

i'm done ranting...
Old 04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Silver Member

so, 5000s in the same position. and DW is more reliable and a household name. id still rather have the DW over the Taye anyday. but im biased (A)

8000s are pretty much the same as a 9 but with different spring assemblies so not really a lot differnt between the two

DW drums
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
nhzoso

Whatever you do stay away from any Lamborghini hats : )
Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbling View Post
so, 5000s in the same position. and DW is more reliable and a household name. id still rather have the DW over the Taye anyday. but im biased (A)

8000s are pretty much the same as a 9 but with different spring assemblies so not really a lot differnt between the two
You know, I tried the 9000 last year and just could not get into having that spring on the inside of the post. I thought that was the dumbest engineering design I've ever seen. On top of that, the 9000 footpedal is actually smoother - my foot tends to grip the raised lettering on the 5000-type pedals better.

Today I got a chance to really play my new pedals in at full volumes and I must admit, I've missed the DW feel. Even though it's not much different from the Iron Cobra Jrs., they are a bit heftier in feel, and slamming the bass drum means I can lighten up about 15% on my foot technique. And of course, did I say my hi-hat no longer bounces or travels away? That's nice.

But, when we were in Vegas, we did go into the Ferrari museum located in the Wynn hotel, and the hats were quite tempting ;)
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
You know, I tried the 9000 last year and just could not get into having that spring on the inside of the post. I thought that was the dumbest engineering design I've ever seen. On top of that, the 9000 footpedal is actually smoother - my foot tends to grip the raised lettering on the 5000-type pedals better.

Today I got a chance to really play my new pedals in at full volumes and I must admit, I've missed the DW feel. Even though it's not much different from the Iron Cobra Jrs., they are a bit heftier in feel, and slamming the bass drum means I can lighten up about 15% on my foot technique. And of course, did I say my hi-hat no longer bounces or travels away? That's nice.
i have noticed the footboard is a bit slippy but im fine with it and i dont notice it if im wearing shoes (that not often :P) i dont mind the springs inside the posts bot its not DWs smartest idea but im sure theyve found evidence its improved performance. but mmy hat stand is solid not going anywhere :D

DW drums
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

DW do make great hat stands. I still have the 5000 series I bought when they were first released. It has never let me down. And at times I have had 20" hats. The spring is a little tired, but that is to be expcted after about 20 years.

Funnily though I am in the market for a new stand. The Yamaha single braced model has caught my eye. I need lighter weights to carry as I age. I am thinking of replacing all my stands with Yamaha single braced models.

Enjoy your purchase Bo.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
DW do make great hat stands. I still have the 5000 series I bought when they were first released. It has never let me down. And at times I have had 20" hats. The spring is a little tired, but that is to be expcted after about 20 years.

Funnily though I am in the market for a new stand. The Yamaha single braced model has caught my eye. I need lighter weights to carry as I age. I am thinking of replacing all my stands with Yamaha single braced models.

Enjoy your purchase Bo.
Thanks Wy. Yeah, I was a big fan of the second generation Yamaha 7 series (the ones Gadd said he preferred when he first hooked up with Yamaha, but it was back in the days when double-bracing hadn't really slammed home yet. And those stands served me well for almost five years before they were replaced when I got a DW kit. Yamaha makes some very solid stuff - which makes me worry that I have those cheap-o Sound Percussion stands for my straight cymbal stands. I have a feeling those will get replaced before they give me problems....
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've noticed that every pedal I tend to own feels just like a DW500 in the end, which for me, means it really feels like the original Camco chain-drive before DW took over production. I've even made the Trick über-expensive pedal feel like a DW5000.... And I know I probably go back and forth about the hat stand - I really dug how simple and light the single-braced Tama Stagemaster was, but I guess I'm in a "I'm tired of the hi-hat sliding away from me" mood this time around. I had debated getting the DW3500 or the DW7000 single-braced, but the 3500 seemed too thin for the money, and the 7000 wasn't that much cheaper than the 5500D and had to be ordered.
Haha! That first post made me laugh!

I have 3 of those DW3500 2 leggers, and they're sturdy.
I got the first 2 when they were still 5000TL's. They don't move either (Velcro on the plate).
They go higher and don't sway (for one of my bands, it just feels better higher for that music), and at an "average" height it's very stable even with just the 2 legs.

The 5000 IS a bit sturdier and smoother (because of the delta hinge), but carrying the thing....ugh.

DW's 7000 line stands are very sturdy and road worthy as well, but the 7000 hat stand is 25 bucks MORE than the 3500!!
It's a nice stand, but jeeze, it could at least be the same price as the 3500 being as it's a single braced stand...
The tubing is the same diam. on the 7000 and 3000 stuff, but the tilters are different (usual DW tilter on the 7000).

Have fun with the new stuff, and your shoes!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Karl, so you don't have a problem with two-legged stands? I had one of those older DW5000's with only two legs and hated it. I had to tilt it slightly towards me to make it feel a little more solid on the ground. I ended up hating it and selling it because I like my hats flat. For some reason I think the two-leg is another design flaw trying to alter the rules of physics. A triangle is strongest with three points, not two legs and a pedal trying to be the third point. It's interesting to meet guys who like the two-legged stuff and make it work. I can't get it to work for me.

But yeah, I'm happy with slightly heavier stuff. One of my considerations for going this way is that my set could travel on a rolling cart semi set-up to the stage. And when I had the flat-based stands, the cymbals had to come off every time we transported that way because they'd just fall over.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 PM
audiotech

I always say that you should buy the equipment that is needed for any particular job or situation. If you don't need a two legged Hi Hat stand and you believe the three legged variety fits the bill better, that's the one you should own. I purchased a DW 5500D three legged stand a few weeks ago. The store only had the two legged version in stock, so they had to order it from their DW distributor. It only took about five days, but I got what I wanted and I'm very pleased with it.

I only own one two legged stand made by Tama and it's a workhorse. The reason I have that is because it works out better using it with my double bass pedal.

Dennis
Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

hmm my 9000 is a two leg and is has no problem with stability once the footboard is secured. reather heavy so its centre of gravity may hold it in place

DW drums
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I always say that you should buy the equipment that is needed for any particular job or situation. If you don't need a two legged Hi Hat stand and you believe the three legged variety fits the bill better, that's the one you should own. I purchased a DW 5500D three legged stand a few weeks ago. The store only had the two legged version in stock, so they had to order it from their DW distributor. It only took about five days, but I got what I wanted and I'm very pleased with it.

I only own one two legged stand made by Tama and it's a workhorse. The reason I have that is because it works out better using it with my double bass pedal.

Dennis
I was trying to be cool and eliminate some weight. I don't even play a double pedal. I was being stupid ;)
Old 04-27-2011, 03:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I had one of those older DW5000's with only two legs and hated it. I had to tilt it slightly towards me to make it feel a little more solid on the ground. I ended up hating it and selling it because I like my hats flat. For some reason I think the two-leg is another design flaw trying to alter the rules of physics. A triangle is strongest with three points, not two legs and a pedal trying to be the third point. It's interesting to meet guys who like the two-legged stuff and make it work. I can't get it to work for me.
Enjoy your new D dubs. I like the feel of mine.

I have both the 5000 and 9000 two leg HH stands.

You're also a photographer, and you also know the deal with light stands. Sometimes you have to push down on the collar to get a stand to sit right. With a two legged high hat stand, I just keep the front hinge for the foot board a little loose and put the heel of one hand on the heel plate of the foot board and push the center post collar down hard until the stand sits level and then push the spikes down. Work the pedal a few times and it's solid.

My dirty little secret is that I often prefer the feel of my 7000 single pedal with a Danmar Hard Felt to my 9000 with whatever beater. I probably need to spend some time learning how to really fine tune a 9000.