DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-25-2011, 05:11 AM
Gold Member

Default Bands you're embarrased to say you like...

I've always had a few bands that I think are awesome, but seem a little bit embarassing to share.

Here are 4 that come to mind for me.

Avenged Sevenfold. Now I'm normally not a metal head, but I think A7X is just awesome (with the exception of their first 2 albums). Probably get made fun of by all you jazz-heads :p (although i love jazz just as much!)

Simple Plan. They just seem kind of a wierd band for a drummer to like, most of there stuff is really simple, and i'd say they're not too far off from being a boy band. There stuff just relaxes me lol.

The Counting Crows. Cheesy I know. I think there stuff is really catchy and fun to sing along to though.

Linkin Park. I know rap is mainly frowned upon in the drumming community. I think linkin park does a good job of incorporating real sounds along with computetized stuff though. Once again, catchy stuff, and they have some cool guitar riffs.

What about you guys? What are the bands that you're just a little embarrased to admit you like???
Old 04-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bands you're embarrased to say you like...

Gosh....Jojo Mayer's Nerve.....anything Miles Davis did during his electric period....Mahavishnu...Tony Williams and that tragic Lifetime project.....after hearing Justin Bieber, everything is just so embarrassing ;)
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

Despite being 40 & married with two kids, I'm still a rebel teenager at heart, so I'm not embarrassed by anything in my CD collection.
I like what I like, and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

I have Linkin Park and Avenged Sevenfold in with my collection too.

I actually posted the bands in my CD collection in this thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=75221
Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Gold Member

But Nerve is awesome!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 AM

Probably japan
Mega-hip when I was 17
Less so these days
Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 AM

In a word...Motown.

The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Four Tops, Jr. Walker & The All Stars, Smokey Robinson, Wilson Picket, Barrett Strong, The Contours, Jimmy Ruffin...geez i could go on and on. I'm a young guy and this music came along way before my time but i love listening to it. IMO this was some of the best music ever written. My friends look at me like i've lost my mind whenever i say anything about listening to it. lol

Modern bands i generally don't tell anyone i listen to...
1. Blink 182...and it's not because of Travis Barker ( rolls eyes)
2. Pillar, Skillet..Christian Rock get's slammed by alot of people but there is some great music there if you give it a chance.
3. Creed..Alot of people call these guys a Pearl Jam rip off. Doesn't bother me i think they are a cool band.
4. Nickleback...IMO another cool band that gets slammed alot. I enjoy Daniel Adairs' drumming is the biggest reason i listen to them though.

Sabian / DW / Evans / Vic Firth
Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, Captain Beefheart, Mahavishnu O.

When I'm hanging out with other women these are not bands I talk about - ever. Roughly equivalent to you guys telling your band that you're right into Lady Gaga and Keisha.

It's just embarrassing ... but life would be less fun without our little guilty pleasures :)

Davethis, David Sylvian is great! How could he be uncool in any circles?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

I've always been a huge fan of Jeff Lynne and Electric Light Orchestra. However, I don't mention it too often since most people just know them from songs like Don't Bring Me Down (Argh) and Telephone Line. Jeff, in my opinion, is one of the most talented musicians/producers around but for some reason, most people don't get it.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM

I don't think I'm embarrassed to like anything that I have...maybe Blink 182, but only because I don't like most of their stuff, but some is pretty good.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

Oh, man, I felt I was going to feel relieved after some replies, but I don't. :(

Anyway, what the hell, I'll tell the truth. On my iTunes I have whole discographies of:

- Katy Perry
- Avril Lavigne
- Taylor Swift

OK I know!! I secretly enjoy pop music! I'm sorry, I guess I'll just take my stuff now and leave. :(

Haha.

Then I listen to Paramore, Blink 182, No Doubt and stuff like that, but I don't feel embarrased of them. I think their drummers are great and they're cool bands overall.

Well, after this I think I can't be beaten (unless someone likes Justin Bieber, which would be great), LOL.

Cheers.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

I'm almost 50 and just suggested to our bandmates that we play Follow Me by Uncle Kracker. Should I be embarrassed? :)
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post
Oh, man, I felt I was going to feel relieved after some replies, but I don't. :(

Anyway, what the hell, I'll tell the truth. On my iTunes I have whole discographies of:

- Katy Perry
- Avril Lavigne
- Taylor Swift

OK I know!! I secretly enjoy pop music! I'm sorry, I guess I'll just take my stuff now and leave. :(

Haha.

Then I listen to Paramore, Blink 182, No Doubt and stuff like that, but I don't feel embarrased of them. I think their drummers are great and they're cool bands overall.

Well, after this I think I can't be beaten (unless someone likes Justin Bieber, which would be great), LOL.

Cheers.
HAHA. I'm in your same boat.. Although, I do NOT have the entire discography of those artists, I definitely like them. I do feel alittle embarrested when I catch myself singing Katey Perry's Firework drunk at a party....

Its a strange feeling when you realize that some pop songs are actually good.. But then you have to wonder if the song is really that good, or if you've just heard it so many times it becomes good because you've been brainwashed by pop radio?.........

DUN
DUN
DAAAAAAAAH
Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Whitesnake. I hang my head in shame.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by percusmann View Post
And you should, lol.

I guess the Marvin Gaye and Lady Gaga would embarass me a little...but on the other hand, I like it, so what's there to be ashamed about?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 PM

If I like a band I am not embarrassed to say it. Someone doesn't like it, they can kiss my (BLEEP).

And why would anyone be ashamed to say they like Whitesnake? David Coverdale is one of the best rock singers and they have had a lot of great musicians in that band.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
I've always had a few bands that I think are awesome, but seem a little bit embarassing to share.

Avenged Sevenfold. Now I'm normally not a metal head, but I think A7X is just awesome (with the exception of their first 2 albums). Probably get made fun of by all you jazz-heads :p (although i love jazz just as much!)

Simple Plan. They just seem kind of a wierd band for a drummer to like, most of there stuff is really simple, and i'd say they're not too far off from being a boy band. There stuff just relaxes me lol.

The Counting Crows. Cheesy I know. I think there stuff is really catchy and fun to sing along to though.

Linkin Park. I know rap is mainly frowned upon in the drumming community. I think linkin park does a good job of incorporating real sounds along with computetized stuff though. Once again, catchy stuff, and they have some cool guitar riffs.

What about you guys? What are the bands that you're just a little embarrased to admit you like???

Moby, but I feel really bad about it.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM

I'm embarrased to say that I like Miley Cyrus.

I can't think of any really good reason WHY, but a few of her songs off her breakout album can get in my head.

Like this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxYhhqNTwA

Having an 8 yo daughter, I get to spend a fair amount of time sampling the Disney catalog of teen pop artists, and I think Miley is probably the most talented of the bunch and will have a long career in music. As long as she doesn't go all Brittney Spears.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Embarrassed? Im not embarrassed to listen to anything to be honest. If it sounds good, listen to it, thats what I say.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post

- Katy Perry
- Avril Lavigne
- Taylor Swift

Haha.

Cheers.
Well, I did once have a drum teacher tell me it's a good idea to listen to popular modern pop music so when you get hired for a session, you can reference the music that is selling. So you'll be familiar the drum beats, sounds and be able to keep up if the producer says "I want to make this sound like...."

Although I have to say, I've never been able to follow that advise very well. heh.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

In the circles that I run with, I guess it's not such a hip thing to listen to:

Bread

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Another Linkin Park fan here. Huge into them when they first came on the scene; they put on a great live show. Wasn't embarrassed to like them until their Minutes to Midnight album. I have all their albums, but I've stopped going to concerts and at this point I don't think I'll buy another album until I've listened to it all the way through first. Still listen to their older stuff.

I liked Avenged Sevenfold for a while (I have three of their albums) but not so much anymore. Didn't pick up this last one. A lot of their stuff is metal music written like a song in a musical, which is fun for a while. I'll defend them when people bash them, but I'll also take 'em down a peg when people praise them. A lot of people seem to like their A7X.

The Used is another one I don't listen to a lot anymore, but I do own three of their albums.

I'm far more embarrassed of some CDs in my collection than bands I like. Blink 182, Marilyn Manson, Sum 41, Cypress Hill, Five Finger Death Punch, Hoobastank, Skillet, Evanescence... the list goes on. Of course there are a few of those where I knew they were bad purchases immediately, others took a few years.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I like the Monkees and I don't care who knows it. Early Jackson 5 too. Sugar sweet pop songs grabbed me as a kid and...I'm gonna shut up now.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
HAHA. I'm in your same boat.. Although, I do NOT have the entire discography of those artists, I definitely like them. I do feel alittle embarrested when I catch myself singing Katey Perry's Firework drunk at a party....
Haha, well, it's even worse if you aren't drunk.

And "whole discographies" sounds like a lot, but in fact it's 3 albums each. (I still don't have Ms. Lavigne's last album, haha). :P

Quote:
Well, I did once have a drum teacher tell me it's a good idea to listen to popular modern pop music so when you get hired for a session, you can reference the music that is selling. So you'll be familiar the drum beats, sounds and be able to keep up if the producer says "I want to make this sound like...."

Although I have to say, I've never been able to follow that advise very well. heh.
Well, unfortunately some of those mainstream pop songs' drumtracks are clearly made by computer and that sucks. Some others have real drummers in them, and let me tell you, to gig and record with multi-million selling artists like these... well, you bet you've gotta be REALLY good. ;)

Man, imagine the money those guys are making... while playing drums... and watching Katy Perry jump around them all night long on those tiny skirts... Oh boy... *(drools over keyboard)*

Cheers
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

Song not a band, Careless Whisper, by Wham
Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
Song not a band, Careless Whisper, by Wham
YES! I'm not the only one :)
Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
In the circles that I run with, I guess it's not such a hip thing to listen to:

Bread
Ahhh.. IF..one of the most beautiful songs ever :) And I have to say I've always loved Guitar Man...wait, have I admitted too much?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

Neil Diamond is probably my most embarassing guilty pleasure.

I'm leaving now...
Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Rebel

W.A.S.P. - Animal (XXXX like a beast).

Quote:
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Neil Diamond is probably my most embarassing guilty pleasure.

I'm leaving now...
Crunchy Granola Suite is a great track ... that riff! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary O
Ahhh.. IF..one of the most beautiful songs ever :)
I like that one too. I can admit this one easily with my girlfriends, though. One of the most beautiful songs I've heard is Jimmy Seals's Kissed by a Rose. Love it love it love it!! Such a sexy voice :)

I also like various songs by Madonna, Cindi Lauper, Supertramp, Anastacia, 10CC, The B52s, Carly Simon, Meat Loaf (yes, even old Meat), Nellie Furtado, Sade, Simply Red, Seals and Crofts etc etc.

Okay *sigh* it's been nice knowing y'all ...
Old 04-26-2011, 04:12 AM
Gold Member

A few more have come to mind after reading all the replies.

Nickelback. People are hard on them a lot, but I think some of their stuff is really good.

Carole King and James Taylor. Generally not a popular band among teenagers my age :p

AFI and Three Days Grace. For the goth in me :p. Although neither of these are really that embarrassing, both of their most recent albums are great.

Lamb of God. Once again not a metal-head, but I think Chris Adler is a beast, and the guitars riffs are awesome too. Listen to the intro for redneck, and you'll know what I mean. Not a fan of the screaming vocals though.

Billy Idol. Once again people are hard on him a lot. I think he's got outstanding talent though.

Fall Out Boy. Most people either like em or hate em. I think lots of their stuff is really good.

The last one is a song by another metal band, In Flames. I only have one song by them, called crawl through knives (not the most pleasant title, i know.). That intro riff, oh man. One of the sickest guitar riffs I've ever heard. Chorus is good too. If you're a fan of awesome guitar riffs, you won't be disappointed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhE_UUeDNLw
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:

?
wtf are you talking about .. a7xs's 1st 2 albums are the only ones worth listening to they turned to shit after that..

my guilty pleasure is the scorpions ... and queensryche ... it's totally uncool to have a singer in your band that doesn't sound like he shoved a pound of cotton up his nose and a broomstick up his ass (greenday, nfg, blink 182, nickleback, ... etc ... can your singer possibly sound any more like a person with a sinus infection???)
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Okay, I'll just go ahead and say it, Adam Ant and Goody Two Shoes. One of my all time guilty pleasures. It just makes me get up and dance and sing along every time. What can I say, I'm a child of the 80's.

I'm going to hide in my room right now and listen to it...lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlorde View Post
wtf are you talking about .. a7xs's 1st 2 albums are the only ones worth listening to they turned to shit
I have the complete opposite opinion lol. 99% of the time I hate screaming vocals, which is why i dont like the first two albums. I do like unholy confessions and chapter 4 though, those 2 are good.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have the complete opposite opinion lol. 99% of the time I hate screaming vocals, which is why i dont like the first two albums. I do like unholy confessions and chapter 4 though, those 2 are good.
The only AX7 album I really like is "City of Evil." To me it was the perfect blend of traditional and modern metal.

The rest of their catalog seems like just very typical metal albums. There are really good songs here and there, but as whole albums, I have a hard time listening to them all the way through.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Not that it's really a "band", per se, but I dig on Enya. Yup, I know...
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

i not ashamed of any of the bands i listen to. i figure if i like the song it must speak to my soul in one way or another, so why be ashamed?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Hellwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by percusmann View Post
Your loss I guess...

Nothing I like is embarrassing to me.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Hellwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlorde View Post
my guilty pleasure is the scorpions ... and queensryche ...
Two of the greatest rock bands that ever lived.

Hurricane, Big City Nights and Walk In The Shadows are superb songs.

Quote:
greenday, nfg, blink 182, nickleback, ... etc ... can your singer possibly sound any more like a person with a sinus infection???)
Chad Croeger and Mark Hoppus don't sound like that.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
nhzoso

In certain circles I hang with on occasion, Or what you wont hear playing on my motorcycle cd player : )

The Bee Gee's
Michael Jackson
Alanis Morrisette
Pink
The presidents of the united states of america
Susan Tedeschi
Elton John
Old 04-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
The only AX7 album I really like is "City of Evil." To me it was the perfect blend of traditional and modern metal.

The rest of their catalog seems like just very typical metal albums. There are really good songs here and there, but as whole albums, I have a hard time listening to them all the way through.
My favorite is their self titled album, (the white one) with City of Evil in a close second.

There is not one track on their self titled album that I think is out of place, my favorites are critical acclaim (because of the lyrics, lol), Brompton Cocktail (another sick guitar riff), Lost, and Dear God.