DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Default Zoom Q3

Just picked up one of these babies, im pumped to try it out!

Is there any settings i should tweak off the bat to get a good recording of my band? Or should i leave it all on auto?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Zoom Q3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
Just picked up one of these babies, im pumped to try it out!

Is there any settings i should tweak off the bat to get a good recording of my band? Or should i leave it all on auto?
Do not leave it on auto. Set it to "Low" and you'll be good. The Auto setting will drop levels when the band gets loud and everything will just sound weird. Low is best.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM

Thanks Bo :)

I will be shooting our first jam tonight.....just after my singer left the band
Old 04-20-2011, 12:23 AM

Only issue i had with this, is the first few videos i shot were only about 1-2 minutes long.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Do not leave it on auto. Set it to "Low" and you'll be good. The Auto setting will drop levels when the band gets loud and everything will just sound weird. Low is best.
Completely agree, unless you're recording the band at a bigger gig some distance from the stage, then high is probably worth trying. Do you have the HD version? Mine's just the standard def unit, but the sound quality's pretty good. Major roll off below about 75hz though. Good luck, & be sure to post.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
Only issue i had with this, is the first few videos i shot were only about 1-2 minutes long.
Make sure you use quality batteries. When the set that came with the camera wore out, I replaced them with a pair of cheapo batteries and during the first show that I wanted to record, the camera shut off 5 minutes into each set. The next time, I bought some higher end Energizer batteries designed for cameras (I think the Ultimate Lithium ones) and they have worked ever since.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM

I dont know why it cut out. Even using the A/C adapter. I set the mic to low, and got good sound, i really dig the tripod that comes with the acessory pack as well, though i still use a regular camera case to keep all the stuff in haha.

Yes, mine is the HD version, i love the video quality of it, i only set it to 720, as the 2 GB card doesnt hold that much video. Next time i have a few hundred bucks laying around i will buy a few 32G SD cards. Do some work better for the Q3 than others? Eventually id like to be able to grab about 2 hours of video, to record entire jam sessions and start picking apart my playing.

All in all im very pleased with this camera, i find it easy to use and it works great. The software the comes with it is a bit bare....has anyone tried a third party video editing suite? I have to find the discs for mine still, but will probably give it a shot anyways.

What really sold me, is a guy in the store (not a sales person) showed us a you tube video of his band playing in a bar, and his wife at the back of the crowd, and even over everyone yelling and screaming the sound came out, and i know the sound isnt that great in the venue they were at haha.