DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Meg White

Thanks man, I'm honored...!
I'm listening to another album now, The Traveller. Very beautiful music I must say,
and brillant drumming as well. I'm digging it.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

That's great.

Happy new year. :-)
Old 01-01-2011, 01:40 PM

The bottom line is that if you have or want to have long hair, it's not about the actual length of your hair, it's just how well you take care of it. Don't just assume that since you're a guy, you hair will take care of itself. I HAVE been turned off of long-haired guys in some cases because their hair and general appearance just made them look dirty.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Well that makes sense.

Am I drunk???
Old 01-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Either Micky Jhon is, or we are.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Jhon View Post
The bottom line is that if you have or want to have long hair, it's not about the actual length of your hair, it's just how well you take care of it. Don't just assume that since you're a guy, you hair will take care of itself. I HAVE been turned off of long-haired guys in some cases because their hair and general appearance just made them look dirty.
So ... it doesn't matter if a drummer like Meg plays in a minimalist style, just as long as what's being played is appropriate for the music ... yes?? And otherwise it would sound dirty??

Otherwise, may I recommend http://hair.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Grow_Your_Hair_Long
Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

I saw Meg and Jack live and she's waaay better than she lead us to believe on recordings.

Sorry that the band is no more, but I'm glad I had a chance to see the duo.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM

I serve the song.

I like bonzo, john lee hookers drummer, mitch mitchell, elvin, tony williams, tim alexander, brain, and anything you can think of.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but will.

Questlove is at the top of the list, along with Gadd. They have discipline. If it works, leave it alone. They don't portnoy a killer groove. Portnoy doesn't kill grooves but he is in a "progressive" band. He isn't dave grohl, he isn't charlie watts. Portnoy, was , in a band that espoused technical mastery. Imagine meg in dream theater, it would work if she kept a beat, if you believe drummers should just do that.

We should, but sometimes spice is great. In the white stripes context portnoy would kill the song.

I am a whatever fits the song guy. Do I step out? yeah. Do I push the time? yeah. Do I cross the bar line and stand out sometimes? yeah.

Do I know when to NOT do that, and keep a beat, yeah.

My favorite thing about being a drummer is dynamics, good transitions, and accent parts of songs. Not doing things to satisfy my ego.

Serve the song with discipline, respect, and integrity, and your fine. "aenima," or "filles de killamanjaro" sound fine with complex drum parts.

Those drummers serve the song.

I believe you don't have to be complex or JUSt simple. You have to be a musician. If your style is simple, cool. If not cool.

I love dave grohl like I love Tony Williams ride cymbal on "so what" on four and more. You can't picka child you love most, but you love the fact you gave birth to all the children.

We all give birth to grooves, we just march to a different drummer.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paistemage View Post
Portnoy, was , in a band that espoused technical mastery.
That's a strange way to put it. "He is excused, he doesn't have to groove because he
makes music that is about technique."
Technique should serve music, no matter the style. And I wouldn't call Mike Portnoy a
"technical" drummer. He's quite straight. I think all he uses is 99% single strokes plus
a tiny little bit of doubles and flams. Maybe.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paistemage View Post
They don't portnoy a killer groove.
Hm ??
Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 PM

damn typos. Was typing fast.
What I was trying to say is that portnoy, for example, is technically profficent, and writes complex parts. He isn't just laying down a groove a lot of times, he does things that are far from simple.

That doesn't mean he doesn't groove, just he isn't like Harvey mason, from herbie Hancocks Headhunters and more.

You could play DT stuff, and keep the beat without all the technical wizardry, but it wouldn't be the same, since their music calls for a little bit more in the drum department.

More chops.

I was making the analogy that these are two different approaches, but both work and there is not one wrong way.

I love technical stuff, not dream theater. Gene Hoglan or Tony Williams.

People use portnoy as an example of extreme technical prowess. I used him to further my analogy.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 AM

I didn't mean he doesn't have to groove since he is in a band that is technical.

I was saying that it is just a different extreme, that he opens up more, does more rolls, more double bass, stands at the forefront a lot of times. Or does things that someone who just "holds a beat" wouldn't do. Meg holds a beat, doesn't open up, doesn't do double bass etc.

Suffocation grooves, they are technical. Weather Report grooves they are technical.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:36 AM

what I meant by they dont portnoy a killer groove. They dont put really attention grabbing things in their music. they just play a beat.

portnoy is a metal/progressive musician, it demands more of a drummer.

More flash, more transitional fills. It isn't the meters.

Those drummers just lay it down, and let the music speak.
People , like myself sometimes, put a little more to have others hear the drummer speak.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

You know, most great jazz groups are technical and groove. Don't forget those!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:54 PM

well, yeah.

Im speaking in very BROAD generalities.

Phil rudd, ac/dc or tony williams. Big difference.

I am saying just go with what works for the song and don't overplay.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

Just found this cool little clip that I'd not seen before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HEUxg6-dc
Old 04-24-2011, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Just found this cool little clip that I'd not seen before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HEUxg6-dc
Thanks Pol, we almost made the 3-month mark on not talking about Meg White.....sheesh... ;)
Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Ugh. Watching her drum is just painful. Almost as bad as hearing it.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Thanks Pol, we almost made the 3-month mark on not talking about Meg White.....sheesh... ;)
Sorry Bo. I didn't want to start the usual pointless "Is Meg valid?" debate for the 50th time (I see it's started again - yikes) ... I just thought the drum part was cool and fun.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Sorry Bo. I didn't want to start the usual pointless "Is Meg valid?" debate for the 50th time (I see it's started again - yikes) ... I just thought the drum part was cool and fun.
I actually watched the clip. Entertaining.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 PM

As a teacher to a lot of beginners, her stuff is a great way in for them. It doesn't intimidate them and they can get into 'song forms' straight away.

Last edited by Sondy Pasteurisen; 05-09-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Silver Member

I really like the sound of Meg Whites bass drum. It sounds really thuddy, her timings abit meh.
People think she's terrible but she's alright. You have to remember, we all started off pretty bad and then progressed :)
Old 04-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Rebel

I much prefer her rack toms...are a bombast!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

I like her red cymbal felts.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 AM

I don't know how I came across this thread, but I did and I just had to say this. I want to start playing drums because of Meg.

Every other drummer made drumming seem so systematic and technical and it just didn't appeal to me but I feel like I can relate to Meg in that she just sounds like she's having fun while being just an average drummer. So thanks to Meg, I may be taking up drumming soon :p
Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 AM

I'm going to take the Buddy Rich approach.

Meg White plays drums?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Pioneer Member

Meg's playing is what characterizes The White Stripes' music. The White Stripes wouldn't be The White Stripes without Meg. The White Stripes are Jack White and Meg White. Their sound is what makes them different, simple playing, simple drumming, but the music is so full of soul. Meg doesn't suck, it's meant to be that way, it's The White Stripes sound, you just can't change where the sun rises and sets. Meg sucks? Go listen to another band
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM

what does everyone think about carla azar?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

I honestly don't get this discussion, but from experience I've learned that correctly painting Meg's (lack of) ability tends to get your posts deleted. But I just have to say:

The type of music the White Stripes play does only require simple drumming. So in that sense Meg is right for the music. But that does not make her a 'drummer' anymore than a guy learning a three note pattern on bass and playing it on every song makes him a 'bass player'. Sure, for the songs it might work. But it's a very limited ability that shouldn't be extrapolated into something bigger. It's like saying the fact that I can check the oil level in my car makes me a car mechanic.

What is irritating about Meg is the attitude (which isn't helped by Jack White's violent defense of her). If she were humble she'd have no problems. But she basically tapped some surfaces behind a really talented guitar player, got her timing and volume levels repaired in ProTools, and thinks she's a rock drummer.

I think people tend to defend her as a kneejerk reaction because they want to defend female drummers. If I were a female drummer I would find that offensive. There are many really good female drummers. Meg is not one of them.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
her timing and volume levels repaired in ProTools, and thinks she's a rock drummer.
none of the White Stripes recordings have ever been manipulated by pro tools

in fact almost everything they ever recorded has been purely analog.....all recorded on vintage consoles and tape machines and mixed on tape.......it is all well documented

nothing she has ever played sounds sound replaced, time corrected , or level adjusted whatsoever .....that is the whole charm of their records

I in no way feel the need to defend Meg .....she doesn't consider herself a skilled drummer .....she just hits drums....before the white stripes she never played drums before

that is what Jack liked.....he never wanted her to practice or improve because he considered that their sound

but in no way do they correct her playing

there are mistakes and time issues all over those records ......beautifully raw

she is perfect for what they have done
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't get this discussion, but from experience I've learned that correctly painting Meg's (lack of) ability tends to get your posts deleted. But I just have to say:

The type of music the White Stripes play does only require simple drumming. So in that sense Meg is right for the music. But that does not make her a 'drummer' anymore than a guy learning a three note pattern on bass and playing it on every song makes him a 'bass player'. Sure, for the songs it might work. But it's a very limited ability that shouldn't be extrapolated into something bigger. It's like saying the fact that I can check the oil level in my car makes me a car mechanic.

What is irritating about Meg is the attitude (which isn't helped by Jack White's violent defense of her). If she were humble she'd have no problems. But she basically tapped some surfaces behind a really talented guitar player, got her timing and volume levels repaired in ProTools, and thinks she's a rock drummer.

I think people tend to defend her as a kneejerk reaction because they want to defend female drummers. If I were a female drummer I would find that offensive. There are many really good female drummers. Meg is not one of them.
I think you want to condemn her as a kneejerk reation because you want to defend your opinion of what makes a drummer good as fact, rather than realizing it's only your opinion. People who like Meg White only care that she rocks, and a lot of people think drummers like Mike Portnoy are pretentious, sophmoric wankers whose drum parts and songs they play on are musical masturbation.

The thing to remember is that everyone, including you, has a right to his/her taste, but that doesn't mean your taste is definitive. There's nothing wrong with saying this is what I enjoy hearing in a drum part, and Meg White doesn't play like that, so she's not my cup of tea. It's another thing to say she's not a good drummer because of the fact that she's not your cup of tea.

Last edited by ohiodrummer1964; 12-07-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Clarifying a point and correcting spelling
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
none of the White Stripes recordings have ever been manipulated by pro tools
Yes, they have. Although most of their post production comes from manual mucking around so they can say their sound is 'analog'. From Sound on Sound:

"There were also sections where Meg decided that she wanted a different drum feel, so we would punch in the drums. The song ‘300MPH Torrential Outpour Blues’, for instance, has two drum kits in it. Meg actually did some of her own drum edits — she knows how to edit tape."

The article makes a lot of hand-wavey statements about how they 'wanted to avoid computers', but they still do patching and fixing. They don't just 'go'. Now, bear that in mind along with the fact that everyone keeps stating: that everything she plays is incredibly simple. Yet she has to make repeated drum edits and punch-ins?

Along with that she has to play with a metronome to come near a consistent beat. Anyone who has seen her live performances knows she has shaky-at-best time, no concept of dynamics, and no chops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDrummer1964
It's another thing to say she's not a good drummer because of the fact that she's not your cup of tea.
But I'm not. I'm saying she's not a good drummer because she's not a good drummer. Just like Stu Sutcliffe wasn't a good bass player.

And I like the White Stripes. Well, up until near the end when they got a bit weird. It's good music. Would have been good with anyone occasionally hitting a drum behind the excellent guitar playing and singing. Jack could have just used a drum machine and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And as for Carla Azar? Big step up. She can actually play.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Silver Member

I think the ongoing Meg White debate boils down to how far one is willing to stretch a word definition. If you consider someone who plays Putt Putt and has never set foot on a golf course a "golfer", then you can call Meg White a "drummer".
Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Yes, they have. Although most of their post production comes from manual mucking around so they can say their sound is 'analog'. From Sound on Sound:

"There were also sections where Meg decided that she wanted a different drum feel, so we would punch in the drums. The song ‘300MPH Torrential Outpour Blues’, for instance, has two drum kits in it. Meg actually did some of her own drum edits — she knows how to edit tape."

The article makes a lot of hand-wavey statements about how they 'wanted to avoid computers', but they still do patching and fixing. They don't just 'go'. Now, bear that in mind along with the fact that everyone keeps stating: that everything she plays is incredibly simple. Yet she has to make repeated drum edits and punch-ins?

Along with that she has to play with a metronome to come near a consistent beat. Anyone who has seen her live performances knows she has shaky-at-best time, no concept of dynamics, and no chops.

But I'm not. I'm saying she's not a good drummer because she's not a good drummer. Just like Stu Sutcliffe wasn't a good bass player.

And I like the White Stripes. Well, up until near the end when they got a bit weird. It's good music. Would have been good with anyone occasionally hitting a drum behind the excellent guitar playing and singing. Jack could have just used a drum machine and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And as for Carla Azar? Big step up. She can actually play.
where does that say anything about pro tools?

it says they spliced tape and that they edited it for a different feel

and do you know what punching in drums means?.....they were going for a production affect ..."a different feel " so they would punch in takes

you proved absolutely zero support to your argument with that quote.....nothing

she is not a drummer bro.....she knows she is not a drummer

never played a drum before forming the White Stripes

Jack insisted she not practice to keep the sloppy sound they created.....that is the charm of the band ....its on purpose genius

....and do you know how many of the drummers everyone here worships sound replaces, and digitally edits their playing ?

at least Meg knows she can't play well

these guys try to play it off like they can

I see a trend with you constantly posting false information on these boards
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you have any idea how much Jack White himself would disagree with this statement? There is a very specific reason he wanted to play with Meg, and it has to do with rawness. She wasn't "tainted" by drum lessons or studies, she played from the music, as her emotion and instinct told her to. That's what he loved about it. He could have played with nearly any drummer he wanted to.

It would not be the White Stripes if she hadn't been there. You said it yourself, it's good music. It would have been something entirely different with a different person behind the drums.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Renegade

The attitude all comes down to the attitude:

HEY, I'M BETTER THAN HER. IT'S NOT FAIR THAT SHE'S A PRO AND I'M NOT

Children!

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
The attitude all comes down to the attitude:

HEY, I'M BETTER THAN HER. IT'S NOT FAIR THAT SHE'S A PRO AND I'M NOT

Children!
I always knew I loved you

:)
Old 12-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I always knew I loved you

:)
Baby baby baybee! Same thing happens with poor old Ringo too, which puts the lie to the "defending a female drummer" line ... unless Zac was an IVF baby from a lesbian relationship between Ringo and Maureen ...

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Anthony Amodeo

I'm outta here

you guys have fun

I'll leave you with this.....I highly recommend watching it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDVduMCo01o&t=3m24s
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Meg White.....wonder drummer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
Being technically proficient on the drums doesn't make you a good drummer or a bad drummer ...it just makes you technically proficient. It's like determining how good a fiction writer is by how many words they know or how many grammar rules they can recite, or how good a painter is by how photo-realistic their paintings are.
stuff like getting across attitude, emotion, ego and personality are what make a drummer great -or any artist great, for that matter.

so do i agree. the problem is the value of art can be so subjective and it really breaks down to taste.
Incredible, I logged in to say the exact same thing and someone else has already said it since I was reading this thread yesterday. The only thing I would add is that art is more important than technique, and that equating technique with musicianship displays a lack of musical and artistic depth one would expect of a teenager, but which shows arrested development in those older than college age.

Not that artistic depth and technical proficiency are mutually exclusive. People like Joe Morello, Beethoven, Jeff Beck and Van Gogh illustrate that. However, technical proficiency is not necessary to posess artistic depth. People like Meg White, Kim Gordon and Sky Saxon illustrate that.