DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #321  
Old 01-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,658
Default Re: Meg White

Thanks man, I'm honored...!
I'm listening to another album now, The Traveller. Very beautiful music I must say,
and brillant drumming as well. I'm digging it.
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 01-01-2011, 01:20 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Meg White

That's great.

Happy new year. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 01-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Micky Jhon Micky Jhon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Default Re: Meg White

The bottom line is that if you have or want to have long hair, it's not about the actual length of your hair, it's just how well you take care of it. Don't just assume that since you're a guy, you hair will take care of itself. I HAVE been turned off of long-haired guys in some cases because their hair and general appearance just made them look dirty.
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Meg White

Well that makes sense.










Am I drunk???
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 01-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,658
Default Re: Meg White

Either Micky Jhon is, or we are.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 01-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Jhon View Post
The bottom line is that if you have or want to have long hair, it's not about the actual length of your hair, it's just how well you take care of it. Don't just assume that since you're a guy, you hair will take care of itself. I HAVE been turned off of long-haired guys in some cases because their hair and general appearance just made them look dirty.
So ... it doesn't matter if a drummer like Meg plays in a minimalist style, just as long as what's being played is appropriate for the music ... yes?? And otherwise it would sound dirty??

Otherwise, may I recommend http://hair.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Grow_Your_Hair_Long
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 PM
larryz's Avatar
larryz larryz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Meg White

I saw Meg and Jack live and she's waaay better than she lead us to believe on recordings.

Sorry that the band is no more, but I'm glad I had a chance to see the duo.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM
paistemage's Avatar
paistemage paistemage is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest , usa
Posts: 383
Default Re: Meg White

I serve the song.

I like bonzo, john lee hookers drummer, mitch mitchell, elvin, tony williams, tim alexander, brain, and anything you can think of.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but will.

Questlove is at the top of the list, along with Gadd. They have discipline. If it works, leave it alone. They don't portnoy a killer groove. Portnoy doesn't kill grooves but he is in a "progressive" band. He isn't dave grohl, he isn't charlie watts. Portnoy, was , in a band that espoused technical mastery. Imagine meg in dream theater, it would work if she kept a beat, if you believe drummers should just do that.

We should, but sometimes spice is great. In the white stripes context portnoy would kill the song.

I am a whatever fits the song guy. Do I step out? yeah. Do I push the time? yeah. Do I cross the bar line and stand out sometimes? yeah.

Do I know when to NOT do that, and keep a beat, yeah.

My favorite thing about being a drummer is dynamics, good transitions, and accent parts of songs. Not doing things to satisfy my ego.

Serve the song with discipline, respect, and integrity, and your fine. "aenima," or "filles de killamanjaro" sound fine with complex drum parts.

Those drummers serve the song.

I believe you don't have to be complex or JUSt simple. You have to be a musician. If your style is simple, cool. If not cool.

I love dave grohl like I love Tony Williams ride cymbal on "so what" on four and more. You can't picka child you love most, but you love the fact you gave birth to all the children.

We all give birth to grooves, we just march to a different drummer.
__________________
"If I became parapalegic I would try to use my forehead to drum, or my tongue or nose." - Myself
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,658
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by paistemage View Post
Portnoy, was , in a band that espoused technical mastery.
That's a strange way to put it. "He is excused, he doesn't have to groove because he
makes music that is about technique."
Technique should serve music, no matter the style. And I wouldn't call Mike Portnoy a
"technical" drummer. He's quite straight. I think all he uses is 99% single strokes plus
a tiny little bit of doubles and flams. Maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,658
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by paistemage View Post
They don't portnoy a killer groove.
Hm ??
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 PM
paistemage's Avatar
paistemage paistemage is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest , usa
Posts: 383
Default Re: Meg White

damn typos. Was typing fast.
What I was trying to say is that portnoy, for example, is technically profficent, and writes complex parts. He isn't just laying down a groove a lot of times, he does things that are far from simple.

That doesn't mean he doesn't groove, just he isn't like Harvey mason, from herbie Hancocks Headhunters and more.

You could play DT stuff, and keep the beat without all the technical wizardry, but it wouldn't be the same, since their music calls for a little bit more in the drum department.

More chops.

I was making the analogy that these are two different approaches, but both work and there is not one wrong way.

I love technical stuff, not dream theater. Gene Hoglan or Tony Williams.

People use portnoy as an example of extreme technical prowess. I used him to further my analogy.
__________________
"If I became parapalegic I would try to use my forehead to drum, or my tongue or nose." - Myself
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 AM
paistemage's Avatar
paistemage paistemage is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest , usa
Posts: 383
Default Re: Meg White

I didn't mean he doesn't have to groove since he is in a band that is technical.

I was saying that it is just a different extreme, that he opens up more, does more rolls, more double bass, stands at the forefront a lot of times. Or does things that someone who just "holds a beat" wouldn't do. Meg holds a beat, doesn't open up, doesn't do double bass etc.

Suffocation grooves, they are technical. Weather Report grooves they are technical.
__________________
"If I became parapalegic I would try to use my forehead to drum, or my tongue or nose." - Myself
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 02-18-2011, 12:36 AM
paistemage's Avatar
paistemage paistemage is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest , usa
Posts: 383
Default Re: Meg White

what I meant by they dont portnoy a killer groove. They dont put really attention grabbing things in their music. they just play a beat.

portnoy is a metal/progressive musician, it demands more of a drummer.

More flash, more transitional fills. It isn't the meters.

Those drummers just lay it down, and let the music speak.
People , like myself sometimes, put a little more to have others hear the drummer speak.
__________________
"If I became parapalegic I would try to use my forehead to drum, or my tongue or nose." - Myself
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,658
Default Re: Meg White

You know, most great jazz groups are technical and groove. Don't forget those!
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 02-18-2011, 05:54 PM
paistemage's Avatar
paistemage paistemage is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest , usa
Posts: 383
Default Re: Meg White

well, yeah.

Im speaking in very BROAD generalities.

Phil rudd, ac/dc or tony williams. Big difference.

I am saying just go with what works for the song and don't overplay.
__________________
"If I became parapalegic I would try to use my forehead to drum, or my tongue or nose." - Myself
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Meg White

Just found this cool little clip that I'd not seen before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HEUxg6-dc
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:44 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Just found this cool little clip that I'd not seen before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HEUxg6-dc
Thanks Pol, we almost made the 3-month mark on not talking about Meg White.....sheesh... ;)
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 AM
AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 549
Default Re: Meg White

Ugh. Watching her drum is just painful. Almost as bad as hearing it.
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Thanks Pol, we almost made the 3-month mark on not talking about Meg White.....sheesh... ;)
Sorry Bo. I didn't want to start the usual pointless "Is Meg valid?" debate for the 50th time (I see it's started again - yikes) ... I just thought the drum part was cool and fun.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Sorry Bo. I didn't want to start the usual pointless "Is Meg valid?" debate for the 50th time (I see it's started again - yikes) ... I just thought the drum part was cool and fun.
I actually watched the clip. Entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #341  
Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Sondy Pasteurisen's Avatar
Sondy Pasteurisen Sondy Pasteurisen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Drumtown
Posts: 24
Default Re: Meg White

As a teacher to a lot of beginners, her stuff is a great way in for them. It doesn't intimidate them and they can get into 'song forms' straight away.

Last edited by Sondy Pasteurisen; 05-09-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 04-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris's Avatar
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris Stalwart_Pandora-Chris is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 727
Default Re: Meg White

I really like the sound of Meg Whites bass drum. It sounds really thuddy, her timings abit meh.
People think she's terrible but she's alright. You have to remember, we all started off pretty bad and then progressed :)
__________________
Mapex, Sabian, Vic Firth.
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 04-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,241
Default Re: Meg White

I much prefer her rack toms...are a bombast!
__________________
"Forget the message, forget the lyrics, and just play." - Ginger Baker
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,658
Default Re: Meg White

I like her red cymbal felts.
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 AM
JetWorld JetWorld is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: Meg White

I don't know how I came across this thread, but I did and I just had to say this. I want to start playing drums because of Meg.

Every other drummer made drumming seem so systematic and technical and it just didn't appeal to me but I feel like I can relate to Meg in that she just sounds like she's having fun while being just an average drummer. So thanks to Meg, I may be taking up drumming soon :p
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 AM
KirbyM's Avatar
KirbyM KirbyM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 405
Default Re: Meg White

I'm going to take the Buddy Rich approach.

Meg White plays drums?
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Ashton Drum's's Avatar
Ashton Drum's Ashton Drum's is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 250
Default Re: Meg White

Meg's playing is what characterizes The White Stripes' music. The White Stripes wouldn't be The White Stripes without Meg. The White Stripes are Jack White and Meg White. Their sound is what makes them different, simple playing, simple drumming, but the music is so full of soul. Meg doesn't suck, it's meant to be that way, it's The White Stripes sound, you just can't change where the sun rises and sets. Meg sucks? Go listen to another band
__________________
The Beat Goes On
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM
zachary zachary is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: is
Posts: 19
Default Re: Meg White

what does everyone think about carla azar?
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 549
Default Re: Meg White

I honestly don't get this discussion, but from experience I've learned that correctly painting Meg's (lack of) ability tends to get your posts deleted. But I just have to say:

The type of music the White Stripes play does only require simple drumming. So in that sense Meg is right for the music. But that does not make her a 'drummer' anymore than a guy learning a three note pattern on bass and playing it on every song makes him a 'bass player'. Sure, for the songs it might work. But it's a very limited ability that shouldn't be extrapolated into something bigger. It's like saying the fact that I can check the oil level in my car makes me a car mechanic.

What is irritating about Meg is the attitude (which isn't helped by Jack White's violent defense of her). If she were humble she'd have no problems. But she basically tapped some surfaces behind a really talented guitar player, got her timing and volume levels repaired in ProTools, and thinks she's a rock drummer.

I think people tend to defend her as a kneejerk reaction because they want to defend female drummers. If I were a female drummer I would find that offensive. There are many really good female drummers. Meg is not one of them.
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
her timing and volume levels repaired in ProTools, and thinks she's a rock drummer.
none of the White Stripes recordings have ever been manipulated by pro tools

in fact almost everything they ever recorded has been purely analog.....all recorded on vintage consoles and tape machines and mixed on tape.......it is all well documented

nothing she has ever played sounds sound replaced, time corrected , or level adjusted whatsoever .....that is the whole charm of their records

I in no way feel the need to defend Meg .....she doesn't consider herself a skilled drummer .....she just hits drums....before the white stripes she never played drums before

that is what Jack liked.....he never wanted her to practice or improve because he considered that their sound

but in no way do they correct her playing

there are mistakes and time issues all over those records ......beautifully raw

she is perfect for what they have done
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 PM
ohiodrummer1964 ohiodrummer1964 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hamilton, OH
Posts: 219
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
I honestly don't get this discussion, but from experience I've learned that correctly painting Meg's (lack of) ability tends to get your posts deleted. But I just have to say:

The type of music the White Stripes play does only require simple drumming. So in that sense Meg is right for the music. But that does not make her a 'drummer' anymore than a guy learning a three note pattern on bass and playing it on every song makes him a 'bass player'. Sure, for the songs it might work. But it's a very limited ability that shouldn't be extrapolated into something bigger. It's like saying the fact that I can check the oil level in my car makes me a car mechanic.

What is irritating about Meg is the attitude (which isn't helped by Jack White's violent defense of her). If she were humble she'd have no problems. But she basically tapped some surfaces behind a really talented guitar player, got her timing and volume levels repaired in ProTools, and thinks she's a rock drummer.

I think people tend to defend her as a kneejerk reaction because they want to defend female drummers. If I were a female drummer I would find that offensive. There are many really good female drummers. Meg is not one of them.
I think you want to condemn her as a kneejerk reation because you want to defend your opinion of what makes a drummer good as fact, rather than realizing it's only your opinion. People who like Meg White only care that she rocks, and a lot of people think drummers like Mike Portnoy are pretentious, sophmoric wankers whose drum parts and songs they play on are musical masturbation.

The thing to remember is that everyone, including you, has a right to his/her taste, but that doesn't mean your taste is definitive. There's nothing wrong with saying this is what I enjoy hearing in a drum part, and Meg White doesn't play like that, so she's not my cup of tea. It's another thing to say she's not a good drummer because of the fact that she's not your cup of tea.

Last edited by ohiodrummer1964; 12-07-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Clarifying a point and correcting spelling
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 AM
AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 549
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
none of the White Stripes recordings have ever been manipulated by pro tools
Yes, they have. Although most of their post production comes from manual mucking around so they can say their sound is 'analog'. From Sound on Sound:

"There were also sections where Meg decided that she wanted a different drum feel, so we would punch in the drums. The song ‘300MPH Torrential Outpour Blues’, for instance, has two drum kits in it. Meg actually did some of her own drum edits — she knows how to edit tape."

The article makes a lot of hand-wavey statements about how they 'wanted to avoid computers', but they still do patching and fixing. They don't just 'go'. Now, bear that in mind along with the fact that everyone keeps stating: that everything she plays is incredibly simple. Yet she has to make repeated drum edits and punch-ins?

Along with that she has to play with a metronome to come near a consistent beat. Anyone who has seen her live performances knows she has shaky-at-best time, no concept of dynamics, and no chops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDrummer1964
It's another thing to say she's not a good drummer because of the fact that she's not your cup of tea.
But I'm not. I'm saying she's not a good drummer because she's not a good drummer. Just like Stu Sutcliffe wasn't a good bass player.

And I like the White Stripes. Well, up until near the end when they got a bit weird. It's good music. Would have been good with anyone occasionally hitting a drum behind the excellent guitar playing and singing. Jack could have just used a drum machine and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And as for Carla Azar? Big step up. She can actually play.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 AM
B-squared's Avatar
B-squared B-squared is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 683
Default Re: Meg White

I think the ongoing Meg White debate boils down to how far one is willing to stretch a word definition. If you consider someone who plays Putt Putt and has never set foot on a golf course a "golfer", then you can call Meg White a "drummer".
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 AM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Yes, they have. Although most of their post production comes from manual mucking around so they can say their sound is 'analog'. From Sound on Sound:

"There were also sections where Meg decided that she wanted a different drum feel, so we would punch in the drums. The song ‘300MPH Torrential Outpour Blues’, for instance, has two drum kits in it. Meg actually did some of her own drum edits — she knows how to edit tape."

The article makes a lot of hand-wavey statements about how they 'wanted to avoid computers', but they still do patching and fixing. They don't just 'go'. Now, bear that in mind along with the fact that everyone keeps stating: that everything she plays is incredibly simple. Yet she has to make repeated drum edits and punch-ins?

Along with that she has to play with a metronome to come near a consistent beat. Anyone who has seen her live performances knows she has shaky-at-best time, no concept of dynamics, and no chops.



But I'm not. I'm saying she's not a good drummer because she's not a good drummer. Just like Stu Sutcliffe wasn't a good bass player.

And I like the White Stripes. Well, up until near the end when they got a bit weird. It's good music. Would have been good with anyone occasionally hitting a drum behind the excellent guitar playing and singing. Jack could have just used a drum machine and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And as for Carla Azar? Big step up. She can actually play.
where does that say anything about pro tools?

it says they spliced tape and that they edited it for a different feel

and do you know what punching in drums means?.....they were going for a production affect ..."a different feel " so they would punch in takes

you proved absolutely zero support to your argument with that quote.....nothing

she is not a drummer bro.....she knows she is not a drummer

never played a drum before forming the White Stripes

Jack insisted she not practice to keep the sloppy sound they created.....that is the charm of the band ....its on purpose genius

....and do you know how many of the drummers everyone here worships sound replaces, and digitally edits their playing ?

at least Meg knows she can't play well

these guys try to play it off like they can

I see a trend with you constantly posting false information on these boards
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,364
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
And I like the White Stripes. Well, up until near the end when they got a bit weird. It's good music. Would have been good with anyone occasionally hitting a drum behind the excellent guitar playing and singing. Jack could have just used a drum machine and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Do you have any idea how much Jack White himself would disagree with this statement? There is a very specific reason he wanted to play with Meg, and it has to do with rawness. She wasn't "tainted" by drum lessons or studies, she played from the music, as her emotion and instinct told her to. That's what he loved about it. He could have played with nearly any drummer he wanted to.

It would not be the White Stripes if she hadn't been there. You said it yourself, it's good music. It would have been something entirely different with a different person behind the drums.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,776
Default Re: Meg White

The attitude all comes down to the attitude:

HEY, I'M BETTER THAN HER. IT'S NOT FAIR THAT SHE'S A PRO AND I'M NOT

Children!
__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 AM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
The attitude all comes down to the attitude:

HEY, I'M BETTER THAN HER. IT'S NOT FAIR THAT SHE'S A PRO AND I'M NOT

Children!
I always knew I loved you

:)
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,776
Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I always knew I loved you

:)
Baby baby baybee! Same thing happens with poor old Ringo too, which puts the lie to the "defending a female drummer" line ... unless Zac was an IVF baby from a lesbian relationship between Ringo and Maureen ...
__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Meg White

I'm outta here

you guys have fun

I'll leave you with this.....I highly recommend watching it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDVduMCo01o&t=3m24s
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM
ohiodrummer1964 ohiodrummer1964 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hamilton, OH
Posts: 219
Default Re: Meg White.....wonder drummer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
Being technically proficient on the drums doesn't make you a good drummer or a bad drummer ...it just makes you technically proficient. It's like determining how good a fiction writer is by how many words they know or how many grammar rules they can recite, or how good a painter is by how photo-realistic their paintings are.
...
stuff like getting across attitude, emotion, ego and personality are what make a drummer great -or any artist great, for that matter.



so do i agree. the problem is the value of art can be so subjective and it really breaks down to taste.
Incredible, I logged in to say the exact same thing and someone else has already said it since I was reading this thread yesterday. The only thing I would add is that art is more important than technique, and that equating technique with musicianship displays a lack of musical and artistic depth one would expect of a teenager, but which shows arrested development in those older than college age.

Not that artistic depth and technical proficiency are mutually exclusive. People like Joe Morello, Beethoven, Jeff Beck and Van Gogh illustrate that. However, technical proficiency is not necessary to posess artistic depth. People like Meg White, Kim Gordon and Sky Saxon illustrate that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com