DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Yeah, I did fine. I wouldn't change anything......but, then again....I didn't feel that gig was right for me anyway....from the very beginning.
I was very busy during that time period....only had a few weeks to learn a 20 minute song, a ballad, and a tech song with 30 part changes within the space of 3 minutes! Haha.
That all went well.....
We jammed a little while....was cool but, the environment (in ears, video, etc...) didn't lend itself to a lot of creative moments...plus the fact that these guys we're trying to "jam" in odd times, etc....
Then they threw some riffs at me to see how quickly I could spit out complex stuff.

Now this...was fun but, at the same time....I could tell that they were looking for a dude that will come in....and record an entire record in the studio...on the spot.

I've never wanted to work that way..... as I believe that if the business (need to put out a record quickly) over trumps the musical vision (taking time and creating the best you can)
then that ultimately directs where the band ends up in the future.

I like to sit on riffs for a few days.... at least and create the best possible part (as opposed to the automatic one)

All good though, like I said...was a load of fun and made some great friends out of it.

D
Old 04-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

I gotta say that letting the fans decide, and letting them trump who the band might prefer as their drummer seems a little... idk... weak, I guess. What is this, American Idol?

That sort of dovetails with letting the business end trump the musical vision end. Doesn't quite sit right with me - classic tail wagging the dog.

But then again, I've never been a DT fan.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with that.......that's the way most bands work.

I guess once you start touring to that level...that's your only option as people live too far away, etc....

I understand that but, it wouldn't be the way I wanted to work musically.
At least to the level of "changing my life" over it.

D
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 PM
sticks4drums

I just wanted to say congratulations on the invite. That would be amazing. I am still waiting for the call from RUSH. :) Only problem is I would not want Neil to quit.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

As far as picking a guy for the fans, most fans apparently want Mike back, an option the band turned down when Mike apparently tried to come back or work out a compromise. Which is whatever, they have their reasons.

As for being honest, they could just say "hey, we can't announce it yet due to legal reasons" but instead they made this big deal about they will reveal the audition process on April 21, and so today they release a video that comes off more like a bad episode of reality TV or a soap opera, all with out actually revealing anything they hadn't previously announced.

The band previously announced auditions were last November, they announced in January they recored the album with the new guy. So what purpose was making a video 3 months laster explaining the previous announced auditions took place?

It cheapens the image of the band. They've gone from top of the prog world to American Idol wanna-bes.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:06 AM
PRO DRUMMER

Hey!

First of all I want to make it very clear as Derek wrote too, there were NO hidden deals or whatever leading up to the auditions. I (and I guess all the other drummers) was treated impeccable! I was very aware of what was coming and there were no new details at the audition.

Second, I have to agree with you Derek again that my wife and myself laughed hard too after getting sked to do the audition!!! It was just surreal to me, ha ha ha... :-D

To me, coming from Sweden and working a normal daytime job, seeing the list with the other six drummers made me laugh even harder. I mean all the other guys are my idols! The best thing with the auditions is that I got in contact with all these amazing drummers and they are the coolest guys ever. :-)

I've made a long diary in swedish with my thoughts, facts etc. leading up to the auditions that will be published in a swedish drumming magazine soon. I'm working on getting this translated into english asap if anyone are interested.

Cheers and Stay Metal!!!
Peter Wildoer
Old 04-22-2011, 01:20 AM

where is the video they released?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 AM
PRO DRUMMER

The video is on the official Dream Theater Facebook site. Like them, and you can watch it. I saw it on YouTube but they deleted it.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildoer View Post
The video is on the official Dream Theater Facebook site. Like them, and you can watch it. I saw it on YouTube but they deleted it.

ah, crap. I guess won't see this damned video then. I'm not on Facebook, on purpose.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:06 AM
PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
ah, crap. I guess won't see this damned video then. I'm not on Facebook, on purpose.
I hear you, I didn't join either for the longest but a lot of friends (musicians) said it was great for promotion and that's how I use it.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:15 AM
sticks4drums

You can also see it on youtube, if it hasn't been pulled yet.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey!

First of all I want to make it very clear as Derek wrote too, there were NO hidden deals or whatever leading up to the auditions. I (and I guess all the other drummers) was treated impeccable! I was very aware of what was coming and there were no new details at the audition.

Second, I have to agree with you Derek again that my wife and myself laughed hard too after getting sked to do the audition!!! It was just surreal to me, ha ha ha... :-D

To me, coming from Sweden and working a normal daytime job, seeing the list with the other six drummers made me laugh even harder. I mean all the other guys are my idols! The best thing with the auditions is that I got in contact with all these amazing drummers and they are the coolest guys ever. :-)

I've made a long diary in swedish with my thoughts, facts etc. leading up to the auditions that will be published in a swedish drumming magazine soon. I'm working on getting this translated into english asap if anyone are interested.

Cheers and Stay Metal!!!
Peter Wildoer
Hey Peter!

Great job on Static Impulse! I actually thought that album sounded more "Dream Theater" than the last two actual Dream Theater albums.

Now I need to go and check out your other work.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with that.......that's the way most bands work.

I guess once you start touring to that level...that's your only option as people live too far away, etc....

I understand that but, it wouldn't be the way I wanted to work musically.
At least to the level of "changing my life" over it.

D

thanks for giving us an the inside look Derek......

are you still with Meinl?

I have been in discussions with Stephan for about a year

Last edited by moontheloon; 04-22-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

Sick drummer is now backing down on their earlier article

http://www.sickdrummermagazine.com/i...s-revised.html

Quote:
We posted a story yesterday regarding the Dream Theater drummer auditions, but due to new and contradictory information from a second inside source today, we have decided to remove that story.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:28 PM
PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Hey Peter!

Great job on Static Impulse! I actually thought that album sounded more "Dream Theater" than the last two actual Dream Theater albums.

Now I need to go and check out your other work.
Hey!

Glad you like Static Impulse! I'm updating the discography section of my website right now so perhaps take a look there within the next few days to check what I recorded? :-)

Cheers and happy Easter!
Peter
Old 04-22-2011, 12:44 PM

watched that vid ... did I see aquiles priester in that vid?

i've had enough of this jerking us around thing .. why aren't they telling us whats with the long dumb wait
Old 04-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Hey!

Cheers and Stay Metal!!!
Peter Wildoer
Peter,
Hope all is well with you. I, for one, would be immensely interested in your translated journal (Google Translator only helps so much). Perhaps your notes on preparation, mindset, etc would be an asset to those of us aspiring to "break" into the business. Also, I'd be excited just to get your perspective of the whole ordeal. Congratulations on the invite, I'd say that's a huge nod of approval from the guys in Dream Theater and it will serve you well going forward.

Mr Castiglioni,
Can we please get a "Drummerworld Pro Drummer" tag for Mr. Wildoer?!

AJ
Old 04-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey!

Glad you like Static Impulse! I'm updating the discography section of my website right now so perhaps take a look there within the next few days to check what I recorded? :-)

Cheers and happy Easter!
Peter
wow! that's great stuff! i wasn't familiar with the static impulse album, but i listened to a song and i like it a lot!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:52 PM
sticks4drums

I am not a huge DT fan so I love the drama with all this. I know it must be hard on the people that love the band, and can't wait for them to get going again.

I really liked the video of the guys going to try out. It will be cool to see more of the process. Most of us will never as drummers experience this kind of high level try out. I would be nervous as heck. :) Guess if I was better at my craft I wouldn't be. I really wish DT was looking for a new singer as well. Just don't like that guy. Just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

Here's the vid Haroldo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eigC...&feature=feedu
Old 04-22-2011, 06:47 PM

The whole video thing makes DT seems obnoxious. That being said I would love to see the auditions because every drummer I saw in the video is amazing. BTW the only drummer tagged in the video on youtube is Virgil Donatti.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry DT fans, but that was the most horrific video trailer I've ever seen, what with Mr. Ominous Movie Trailer Guy Voice and all. I think I'm going to vomit.

Trying to make the auditioning process into a reality show is the most cynical hype strategy I've ever seen. Which is really too bad because I really like all the auditioning drummers.

I feel dirty now. I think I need a shower - with steel wool and acetone.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 PM

Exactly Mike! I didn't know whether to laugh or puke while watching it.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

At least Mangini has played with the only metal band I can stand and I even actually quite like them, Annihilator.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Sorry DT fans, but that was the most horrific video trailer I've ever seen, what with Mr. Ominous Movie Trailer Guy Voice and all. I think I'm going to vomit.

Trying to make the auditioning process into a reality show is the most cynical hype strategy I've ever seen. Which is really too bad because I really like all the auditioning drummers.

OH, Mike. Lighten up. :) But then again I watch American Idol. :)
Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey!

Cheers and happy Easter!
Peter
Cool. Post a link when it's all done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlorde View Post
watched that vid ... did I see aquiles priester in that vid?
t
Yes. Outside of Mangini, he is 2nd in terms of most rumors that he got the gig. Although given he keeps scheduling clinics and gigs with his band, so I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

Mike, I've been a die hard DT fan for almost 20 years now, and that is exactly how I felt about the video too. I've jokingly started referring to them as "Drama Theater" since seeing that video. Bleah, it's right up there with Metallica releasing the Load album and U2 going techno.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

BTW Derek - I loved watching the back-and-forth between you and Thomas Pridgen on the DW Performer promo video - he's been one of my fave's since I first heard him with TMV (he made me get over the loss of Jon Theodore very quickly), so it was a total blast watching you school him! You guys were both so cool about it.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

Yeah the video was cringe-worthy. The unthinkable happened? It's not like Portnoy died or something, he just quit the band, and the whole "seven drummers compete for the top spot" was just...LOL
Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

I don't like Dream Theater at all but since I kind of like watching Idol & similar reality shows (please don't shoot me, some people still smoke tobacco, I don't) when I can't do anything else that was actually quite interesting way to do the audition. They should make it a tv series lol.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW View Post
I don't like Dream Theater at all but since I kind of like watching Idol & similar reality shows (please don't shoot me, some people still smoke tobacco, I don't) when I can't do anything else that was actually quite interesting way to do the audition. They should make it a tv series lol.
Agreed. People are all too serious. It is just entertainment after all. If you listen to the drummers talk about it on here, they really enjoyed the process.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:19 PM

NEW RUMOR ALERT!!

DT will be releasing the NEW album without a "Drum Credit" adding even more suspense!! Then they plan to start a huge contest where fans have the opportunity to win $50,000 by guessing who's playing the drums! Apparently, you will have to call a "1-800-Dream" Hot-line number and give them your receipt # or something.

Anyhow, the winner will be notified on Jul 04, 2011 and flown via supersonic jet to Rome, Italy for the start of Dream Theater's upcoming world tour! They will receive a limo ride, free booze & strippers. That's all the information I have for now. If anyone knows anything else please post.

Tess
Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Sorry DT fans, that just looks like a cynical money-spinning exercise. I don't mind them auditioning drummers but one word really got to me in that video - 'compete'. Sorry, it's not a 'competition' like a sports event. All the drummers are perfectly capable of playing that gig and playing it exceedingly well. The faux-reality-show take just looks horrible.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Sorry DT fans, that just looks like a cynical money-spinning exercise. I don't mind them auditioning drummers but one word really got to me in that video - 'compete'. Sorry, it's not a 'competition' like a sports event. All the drummers are perfectly capable of playing that gig and playing it exceedingly well. The faux-reality-show take just looks horrible.
you guys are all tripping. Of course it's a competition. It's a freaking job interview. What do you mean it's "not a competition"?

Also, in the midst of American Idols, Real World, and whatever other reality TV crap you can think of, that little video was highly entertaining in my opinion.

Are we interested in the band in question? CHECK!

Are we interested in the drummers in question? CHECK!

Are we interested in the music in question? F-ing CHECK!!!!!

So, what's wrong with them making that little piece of entertainment?

All you guys who are saying it's cheesy (which I agree, it is), although you will not admit, the obvious fact is that you WERE entertained by it. Period.

I think people are just annoyed with not knowing for sure who the drummer is, but come on. When I heard all the negative comments about the video I was expecting to see a bad American Idol episode. It wasn't. It was cool little segment of the audition process, with a porn star voice narrating it. What's wrong with that? (Ok, the porn voice might be over the edge, but you get the idea :)
Old 04-23-2011, 01:38 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
you guys are all tripping. Of course it's a competition. It's a freaking job interview. What do you mean it's "not a competition"?

Also, in the midst of American Idols, Real World, and whatever other reality TV crap you can think of, that little video was highly entertaining in my opinion.

All you guys who are saying it's cheesy (which I agree, it is), although you will not admit, the obvious fact is that you WERE entertained by it. Period.

I think people are just annoyed with not knowing for sure who the drummer is, but come on. When I heard all the negative comments about the video I was expecting to see a bad American Idol episode. It wasn't. It was cool little segment of the audition process, with a porn star voice narrating it. What's wrong with that? (Ok, the porn voice might be over the edge, but you get the idea :)
I have to agree with you. It is just all entertainment. I really like the quote in your signature area. :)
Old 04-23-2011, 02:37 AM
PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNystrom View Post
Peter,
Hope all is well with you. I, for one, would be immensely interested in your translated journal (Google Translator only helps so much). Perhaps your notes on preparation, mindset, etc would be an asset to those of us aspiring to "break" into the business. Also, I'd be excited just to get your perspective of the whole ordeal. Congratulations on the invite, I'd say that's a huge nod of approval from the guys in Dream Theater and it will serve you well going forward.

Mr Castiglioni,
Can we please get a "Drummerworld Pro Drummer" tag for Mr. Wildoer?!

AJ
Hey AJ!

I'll post here when the journal is up on my website. May take some time depending on when the swedish magazine comes out. I guess they want it to be fairly unique to them. It has a lot about the mindset, preparation etc. Should be fun for drummers. :-)

Thanks for the kind words!

Cheers,
Peter
Old 04-23-2011, 02:41 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:

I didn't actually enjoy it in the slightest. I was sitting there watching between my fingers because of the blatant crassness of it all. It's just tacky as far as I can see.

If it were an actual competition, it would be about ability. It isn't. I think Derek Roddy would do well with Dream Theater - but he also mentioned that he wasn't hugely into the band. That's fine, I have no issue with that - you get an audition, you go to it. It's good to attend interviews and auditions regardless of whether or not you think you might get the job. All of the drummers attending are exceptionally good players and any one of them could play the gig. All of them are actually better technically than Portnoy - who has some pretty whacky hand technique.

I'm not actually interested in the band or the music, but I am interested in the drummers. I think Mike Mangini is good and I really like watching Derek Roddy play - Derek, I think you're great! But that video really hit a nerve. The other guys are good too, but I've never really sat down and listened to them. No offence or disrespect to any of you that are on this thread!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:49 AM
PRO DRUMMER

I can understand to some extent that some people don't like this as they just want to know who the drummer is. But, I do not understand that people get so very upset about it?!

To me, being a huge fan of all the other six drummers I'm looking forward A LOT to see behind the scenes footage, their interpretation of the DT songs and hearing them talk about preparations etc. I'm a drummer nerd and I just love to see drummers perform and talk, especially these amazing guys. So, to me this is all very cool.

Well, that's just me. :-)

Cheers,
Peter
Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I can understand to some extent that some people don't like this as they just want to know who the drummer is. But, I do not understand that people get so very upset about it?!

Cheers,
Peter
People are happiest when they have something to complain about. :)
Old 04-23-2011, 02:59 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
People are happiest when they have something to complain about. :)
At this point I will smile, nod and quietly agree.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 AM

The suspense. The mystery.
Attached Images