DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

Default Re: Travis Barker

Am I right in thinking the general public has known three drummers over time. Gene Krupa. Ringo Star. And now Travis Barker?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

I think Buddy Rich and Phil Collins are well known from the public as well.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
I think Buddy Rich and Phil Collins are well known from the public as well.
Buddy Rich, no. Not even during his lifetime. I spoke to Daniel Glass about this and he was emphatic.

Phil is hardly known as a drummer. Most people ask me these days about the child abuse he suffered that led to Face Value. I answer, No. The album is about his first divorce. If they know him at all, it is as a singer. If not as a singer, as a victim of a fictional attack.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Gene Krupa at the height of his popularity was not only the best known drummer but was the biggest star in America.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Gene Krupa at the height of his popularity was not only the best known drummer but was the biggest star in America.
Which pissed off Benny Goodman no end.

(My mother loved him and always told me of his brown wavy hair)
Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 AM

One of my favorite drummers growing up was Pete Finestone of bad religion. The stuff he played on against the grain amazed me. I always wondered tho... does he / did he use a double bass pedal?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Hellwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
Phil is hardly known as a drummer.
In your world maybe... In reallife, he's known as a drummer, a member of Genesis and a dodgy actor
Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesses View Post
I think people aren't paying so much attention when they say TB is all speed and nothing else. I hate fast punk-poppy drumming because it's boring and sounds pretty unmusical to me on its own, but there is definitely a bit of personality with his playing in B182 that deserves recognition. Also, the dude doesn't carry himself in some superior way, he seems pretty level-headed. He just happens to be massively appealing to people who are excited by what he plays, I don't think he himself is necessarily a gimmick. This is coming from someone who has absolutely no interest in Blink 182-ish drumming.
well said. Its a very common occurrence for fans to completely overstate someone they admire.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Travis Barker may not have the craziest chops, but you must take into consideration what genre he is playing. In Blink, it would be very easy for someone to make the most simple of punk beats (think quarter notes on the hats, and a double on bass before snare hits on 2 and 4); but Travis has made some great creative stuff. You may bash on him for how he looks, how his set up is (imo, its awesome when you can play a simple set up and keep everything intricate and interesting), or what you think you have seen of him in the media, but the guy has brought a technical level of drumming to a genre where mediocrity is common. The guy may not have the coolest solos, and he may like to bang his drums pretty roughly (hey, uh...wasnt bohnam famous for hitting hard?.....hmmm), but he certainly deserves credit.

And also, how many of these ignorant, hateful comments aren't simply fueled but drummers who put themselves above TB but never got far in the music business? hmmmm.....
Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSapeta92 View Post
Travis Barker may not have the craziest chops, but you must take into consideration what genre he is playing. In Blink, it would be very easy for someone to make the most simple of punk beats (think quarter notes on the hats, and a double on bass before snare hits on 2 and 4); but Travis has made some great creative stuff. You may bash on him for how he looks, how his set up is (imo, its awesome when you can play a simple set up and keep everything intricate and interesting), or what you think you have seen of him in the media, but the guy has brought a technical level of drumming to a genre where mediocrity is common. The guy may not have the coolest solos, and he may like to bang his drums pretty roughly (hey, uh...wasnt bohnam famous for hitting hard?.....hmmm), but he certainly deserves credit.
+1

Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

He does have very decent hand technique, though. I'm not a fan of his manerisms while playing drums, but I'm sure there's a lot of professional drummers with much less even looking hands.

Fox.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman1 View Post
this so called drummer>travis barker, and all the grunge and heavy metal drummers could not even carry john bonham's jock strap!!!!!
Why would you want to carry John Bonhams jock strap? I mean, you've heard all the sordid tales right? Read all the stories?? Believe me, that a jock you definitely wouldn't want to strap. I suggest you head out and strap someone else's jock my friend, it's bound to be healthier in the long run.

Best leave Bonzo's strap where it currently lies..........6 foot under with his jock.

I have a spare strap for your own jock though if you'd like it. PM me if you're interested. As the old saying goes, a strapped jock is a happy jock.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 03-01-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Hellwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman1 View Post
this so called drummer>travis barker, and all the grunge and heavy metal drummers could not even carry john bonham's jock strap!!!!!
That's a little bit closed minded isn't it?

1. Travis isn't "grunge" or metal, he's a drummer in 200+ punk bands and a hip hop act.
2. A lot of metal and "grunge" drummers took a lot from John Bonham - Me included.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

I'm technically a teenager but I honestly have never loved Travis Baker. I guess I could say I respect some of his playing, but I would not consider myself a fan. I've liked drummers like Clyde Stubblefield, Al Jackson Jr., and Bernard Purdie from the start.

I just see no real appeal in his playing. And I'm pretty sure he's always baked.

But you guys are right - true punk is the Clash, Ramones, Stooges, Damned, Dead Kennedies....
Old 03-14-2011, 03:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Am I right in thinking the general public has known three drummers over time. Gene Krupa. Ringo Star. And now Travis Barker?
That sounds about right.
A couple others I might add (not as much as those though) are Phil Collins, John Bonham, Dave Grohl, and (unfortunately) Joey Jordison.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbones View Post
But you guys are right - true punk is the Clash, Ramones, Stooges, Damned, Dead Kennedies....
What?? No Sex Pistols???

I need a bottle of Jack, a few asprins and a good lie down to recover from this shock!!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Hellwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
What?? No Sex Pistols???

I need a bottle of Jack, a few asprins and a good lie down to recover from this shock!!
Sex Pistols were more or less put together by Malcolm Mclaren...
and they were sh*t

Quote:
The General Public won't know who Gene Krupa is unless they're fans.
They won't know Travis unless they're 12 year old Blink fans
and they won't know Ringo unless they watched Thomas The Tank Engine in the early '90's
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
What?? No Sex Pistols???

Oh no! How could I have have forgotten!

Alright lemme add in the Sex Pistols, Bad Brains, and Buzzcocks. Hope I didn't shock anyone with this :)
Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Hellwyck

Quote:
Buzzcocks.
Buzzcocks were influrntial in the forming of what's known as "punk"
and they're from my hometown of Manchester!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
and they were sh*t
It's not about musicianship or actual talent -- It's about the punk rock ethos that the Sex Pistols fully embodied.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Hellwyck

Quote:
It's not about musicianship or actual talent -- It's about the punk rock ethos that the Sex Pistols fully embodied.
Thanks for telling a 33 year old fan of punk what the scene embodied - Needed that.

The pistols couldn't play, they taught a legion of fans that anyone could have their say without knowing anything about music - this info is true.

They were also dogsh*t (this is true), they were only "good" cos they were angry and people had nothing else to compare to until the Clash and Sham 69 came to town.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
and they were sh*t

Quote:
Thanks for telling a 33 year old fan of punk what the scene embodied - Needed that.
Hey I'm sorry Hellwyck - I honestly thought you were just ripping on the Pistols. I realize now you were just saying their musical talent was shit. I guess I interpreted it wrong. I wasn't intentionally trying to sound condescending talking about how the sex pistols' attitude was more important than the actual playing itself. Sometimes specific vocal inflections and implied emotions are hard to convey over the Internet. :)

No hard feelings, right?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
and they were sh*t
I wholeheartedly disagree. I think they were better than even they gave themselves credit for.

Quote:
and they won't know Ringo unless they watched Thomas The Tank Engine in the early '90's
Now I really need that bottle, apsrins and a lie down!! :-)

Even my non-musical friends all know that Ringo had an established career drumming with some little outfit from Liverpool........long before he ever teamed up with the Fat Controller for a good bout of shunting.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:19 AM

Been forever since I've posted on these forums. Thought I would shed some light on on the Travis Barker thread...Here's a couple recent videos of Travis. Pretty damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RWkwOFED1NA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDqK6...layer_embedded
Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

I almost can't get over this redickuloussly high high-hat, and his tiny and fully painted
upper body, lol!

But the playing is cool. Not my cup of tea musically, but he has a lot of energy, and he's
right on the spot.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Hellwyck

Quote:
I wholeheartedly disagree. I think they were better than even they gave themselves credit for.
Nope, they were credited as the first pink band for their attitude and not much else.
The only member of the band who could actually play was Steve Jones.

Quote:
Now I really need that bottle, apsrins and a lie down!! :-)

Even my non-musical friends all know that Ringo had an established career drumming with some little outfit from Liverpool........long before he ever teamed up with the Fat Controller for a good bout of shunting.
I was talking about the kids who know Travis Barker, They wouldn't know Ringo as a drummer if he told them himself holding a picture up of him in the Beatles.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErNeStIn_182 View Post
Travis Barker is GOD he is an AMAZING drummer most of the people just like him because they listen to blink 182 but its not that i love blink 182 they are my gods but i admire travis for lots of things. hes got style, he is fast, he knows how to make rythyms with just a little guitar riff or 2 wordss from a song HE IS THA MAN
Agreed. I started liking Travis because of Blink 182 but I don't like him only because of blink 182.

I don't care about ANYTHING in a drummer over being unique, and when travis plays, you know it is travis playing. I could pick out a drum beat of his from a mile away. They're all so unique and amazing sounding.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nope, they were credited as the first pink band for their attitude
What's a pink band?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Wow, alot of views / replys. One things for sho', he's one of the most famous drummers ever...
Old 05-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Buzzcocks were influrntial in the forming of what's known as "punk"
and they're from my hometown of Manchester!
Here's some Buzzcocks for a Friday...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EdQuBnh3Uk

As for the Pistols....Steve Jones and Paul Cook could play.
Jones has a great tone on NMTB, and a great tone with Neurotic Outsiders as well.
Johnny Rotten was a great "entertainer" for sheer stupidity, and making people crazy.
I liked the PIL album with Steve Vai playing on it.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

I tell you what. Try playing along to Enema of The State and you'll soon see (most of you) are outmatched! I never really appreciated blink until I decided to pick up that album.

Fantastic stuff, I wish I could learn it, (but am in the process of learning it)!

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 AM

In my opinion Travis Barker is great. I doubt he is the best drummer of all time. Do you think Travis Barker on his free time plays the stuff you see him play all the time on youtube or in Blink 182? I can bet if you were to ask travis barker to play any kind of style he would. He plays what he does all the time cause that's the kind of drumming people want him to play. It's just like Jessica Simpson singing country. Nobody cares if you can play everything thing under the sun, you just don't belong. Why would he just start randomly start playing jazz or funk? Do you see Gabb, Neil, Portnoy, Rich, or all the greats playing a style of travis barkers? Do you think they can? Of course they could but that's there style. Drumming is drumming everyone has there own style, and they play it.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:33 AM

I forgot to add. I would like to see Billy Cobham keep up with Enema of the state. They both have speed yes but speed and insurance? A good drummer should be able to play a song, Drum solo, and play a fast tempo for a longtime.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Travis Barker is and always will be my biggest drumming influence. he is the reason that i started playing drums and he is still my favourite player. No he is not the best drummer in the world but he is damn good. i enjoy his style and i think his hand technique is extremely good. he throws a lot of rudiments in to his playing and he has inspired a lot of drummers of my generation just like John Bonham did for older generations. I don't think Travis deserves the hate he gets but to each their own. I just don't think it's right to knock someone who clearly is talented. No matter what anyone says you can't deny that Travis Barker is a good drummer.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycephinn View Post
In my opinion Travis Barker is great. I doubt he is the best drummer of all time. Do you think Travis Barker on his free time plays the stuff you see him play all the time on youtube or in Blink 182? I can bet if you were to ask travis barker to play any kind of style he would. He plays what he does all the time cause that's the kind of drumming people want him to play. It's just like Jessica Simpson singing country. Nobody cares if you can play everything thing under the sun, you just don't belong. Why would he just start randomly start playing jazz or funk? Do you see Gabb, Neil, Portnoy, Rich, or all the greats playing a style of travis barkers? Do you think they can? Of course they could but that's there style. Drumming is drumming everyone has there own style, and they play it.
Quote:
I forgot to add. I would like to see Billy Cobham keep up with Enema of the state. They both have speed yes but speed and insurance? A good drummer should be able to play a song, Drum solo, and play a fast tempo for a longtime.
I can appreciate what Barker is to the public and the drumming community and his obvious talent, but these posts are literally just blind worship of one person.

There's plenty of other rock players who can play CIRCLES around Barker with a similar style: fact. Just because you like him doesn't mean you need to defend him from the "haters" by putting down other people's favorite drummers for... absolutely no reason.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

he's just plain rediculuss! nuff said.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
They both have speed yes but speed and insurance?
Yes, it is recommended to have good insurance when using high speeds!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would like to see Billy Cobham keep up with Enema of the state. They both have speed yes but speed and insurance? A good drummer should be able to play a song, Drum solo, and play a fast tempo for a longtime.
Billy Cobham? The same 32nd note-run-round-the-toms-at-blistering-speed, Billy Cobham?? Couldn't keep up with Enema of the State??? Surely you jest?

Somehow I think he'd get a handle on Blink 182!

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 08-29-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

As to speed and insurance... I can play 270 bpm heel-toe for 3 minutes, now I know I need insurance - thanks for the heads up, hahaha.

PS: My only relation to Travis Barker is that when I bought my first 2 pairs of sticks 1 year ago, those sticks were recommended to me because they're great for practicing on a pad. IMO Travis Barker is an ok drummer, has some style of his own and he fits Blink 182 perfectly, but ultimately he's an overrated drummer with way too much buzz around him. Proof? Look at this thread... Travis Barker gives no reason for more than 1,000 posts IMHO.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
I almost can't get over this redickuloussly high high-hat, and his tiny and fully painted
upper body, lol!

But the playing is cool. Not my cup of tea musically, but he has a lot of energy, and he's
right on the spot.
There have been a few gold quotes in this thread. I have to say that I find the whole, "look at me with my shirt off and heaps of tats" thing really off putting. It is also real annoying to have drummers with the caliber of say Benny Greb or Gavin Harrison compared to Travis in a negative way by the Travis fans that are consumed by their "blind worship".
That said, even though just the look of Travis Playing, (even when not playing) makes me uncomfortable, he is without doubt a very competent drummer who has added a dimension to Blink182. I am sure that Travis didn't get the skill that he has because he "blindly worshiped" only one particular drummer, and obviously his heroes were not all from the one genre.
It would be nice to be able to watch some creative drummer doing his thing on youtube and not have thousands of teens comment about how the guy is not a patch on Travis or Joey.
Instead of telling every other drummer to narrow their field, they should learn to expand their own. Rant Off!