DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Choosing new drumheads! Help!

Yeah i think you are right, i think i might go with evans just to keep all my drumheads evans but I'm kinda hesitant because a friend of mine once gave a couple of old g2 that weren't really played that long but they were left in the sun and the coating had sticked into the other heads since the were stored stacked, and lets just say that my drums sounded a little less than perfect. Maybe a new pair will sound great or maybe they will as equally bad as those beat up heads my friend gave me to try out?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:37 AM
audiotech

If your trying heads to get a particular sound, I wouldn't be trying used heads from another kit on your kit. You really don't know how old the heads are, how tightly the heads were tensioned on his kit and sometimes even different bearing edges between your kit and his can have an impact when re-tensioned on yours. If I were you I would get a set of heads that you would like to try, either clear or coated. Then get an extra head, say maybe a 12" if you can of the other style. That way you can swap just the 12" head and you'll be able to make a logical judgement call hearing the extra 12" head with the others on your kit. If you decide the extra heads sounds more to your liking, that's one less head you'll have to buy later.

I didn't read all the posts on this thread and maybe someone already asked, but have you changed your resonant heads on your toms. It will be like beating a dead horse putting new batter heads on your drums and at the same time having dead resonant heads.

I have to get up in about four hours, so I'm outta here for tonight. Let me know what you decide if you will.

Dennis
Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Yeah i did change my resos i currently have g1, thats why i was thinking about getting the g2, to keep it all evans, but im still worried because the set my friend lended me the coating seemed so thick but i think that it is just because they melted a little bit together so the coating got a little thicker, hopefully if i get a new pair they'll turn out good, and I think im not doing any justice by basing my liking on those by the pair my friend lend me, the heads even said genera g2 so they were pretty old, i think im gonna give em another try.Or should i go with remo? I did try once a coated emperor on my 10 inch drum and it sounded pretty decent but thats in comparison to the old g2s, should i give g2 another shot? And thank you.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 PM

Howdy.

You may have already changed your heads, but anyway here is my 2 cents.

I just changed my toms over Evans G2 Top, G1 Bottom combination and WOW! I own a Sonor 3007 Force and had some Attack Heads Top with the factory resonant Remo UT on bottom. That sounded good. This sounds even better.

The Evans I have are all clear. That give them a fairly big attack sort of sound which may not be what you are after. Sounds like you may want to go coated for the warmth you are after.

In any case, I am very happy with the Evans I have used so far on this kit. Makes me want to stay home and play my drums instead of going to work today (just put the skins on couple of days ago).

I still have an EMAD to put on the kick which I haven't done as yet. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Cheers

Luke
Old 04-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the reply and no i haven't yet replaced my drumheads. I think im going clear because i realized the room my drums are in take away some of the low end because when i play my drums elsewhere they sound really good. Anyways my question is which drumhead ( emperor, g2, response 2) will have a warmer punchy fuller sound ( which drumhead would have a darker pitch and a more natural attack instead of a plasticy attack?) , and yes i do like the attack on clear head its just ive read rumors about certain brand of drumheads producing thin plasticy sound. Also which of those drumheads when coated would have a lively sound, what I mean is which coated head won't make my drums sound dull, lifeless, like cardboxes. Please anyone who has experienced with these drumheads your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by drums137; 04-22-2011 at 03:51 PM.