Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-17-2011, 12:34 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Custom veneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Ebroiled in semantics, back to veneer guys------------
Quite right Andy. I just get tetchy about the use of the language, particularly as I'll be teacher training next year. I'm that guy that gets highly irritated when shops have an apostrophe in the wrong place and when supermarkets have a sign that reads: 'Ten items or less'.

It really is a lovely veneer. I'm impressed to say the least.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Quite right Andy. I just get tetchy about the use of the language, particularly as I'll be teacher training next year. I'm that guy that gets highly irritated when shops have an apostrophe in the wrong place and when supermarkets have a sign that reads: 'Ten items or less'.

It really is a lovely veneer. I'm impressed to say the least.
It can be very annoying. However, it's not always people's fault. For example, they may have a social disorder like Asperger's that makes it difficult for them to communicate how they're feeling. But people never think about that, they automatically assume that if someone says the wrong thing then they must be a complete idiot or a dickhead... I think if you're going to be a teacher then it's especially important to think about the people you may be teaching who have mental conditions that may make communication with them more difficult.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 04-17-2011, 12:52 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
It can be very annoying. However, it's not always people's fault. For example, they may have a social disorder like Asperger's that makes it difficult for them to communicate how they're feeling. But people never think about that, they automatically assume that if someone says the wrong thing then they must be a complete idiot or a dickhead... I think if you're going to be a teacher then it's especially important to think about the people you may be teaching who have mental conditions that may make communication with them more difficult.
Eddie. I'm a dyslexic. My brother has Asperger's Syndrome.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Eddie. I'm a dyslexic. My brother has Asperger's Syndrome.
Well you should understand exactly where i'm coming from then :)

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 04-17-2011, 01:38 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Well you should understand exactly where i'm coming from then :)
Oh believe me, I absolutely do. Especially when throughout school I was just told that I had a poor attention span, odd sentence phrasing and was easily distracted. It finally dawned about two years ago and had the assessments done. Explained just about everything.

So I'm fully aware of how it all works!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Wow, I missed the debate of how to save the world.
Since it is my thread, and my handle reflects a bit of the argument, yes unions can be a necessary evil. At times, they push too hard and cause a manufacturing exodus, that is why I am constantly walking a balancing act. It is also important to note that auto manufacturing in mexico is partly union organised. This is so important, because if the world played by a type of geneva convention for labour, it would be less beneficial for the factories to look for greener grass with easier people to exploit. In a perfect world, level the playing field so economies like china could not dominate due to human persecution.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
Since it is my thread, and my handle reflects a bit of the argument, yes unions can be a necessary evil. At times, they push too hard and cause a manufacturing exodus, that is why I am constantly walking a balancing act. It is also important to note that auto manufacturing in mexico is partly union organised. This is so important, because if the world played by a type of geneva convention for labour, it would be less beneficial for the factories to look for greener grass with easier people to exploit. In a perfect world, level the playing field so economies like china could not dominate due to human persecution.
I agree with this. Sometimes, though, it benefits us when companies move their factories. It wouldn't surprise me if Toyota made more cars in the US than Chrysler.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Gold Member

Yeah, here in southern Ontario, we have Honda, Toyota, and probably a couple others. They are yet to be unionized, but they are narrowing the gap between being a foreign builder to becoming a domestic, not much different than the big 3.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
This is exactly where I'm at. I almost entirely agree with what you're saying here. It's not just me at least!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately i think that is not going to happen any time soon because i'm sure people would much rather be able to walk into primark and buy a top for 2 than care about the working conditions about who made it. Again, not saying whether i agree or disagree, just talking about where we're at right now...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately i think that is not going to happen any time soon because i'm sure people would much rather be able to walk into primark and buy a top for 2 than care about the working conditions about who made it. Again, not saying whether i agree or disagree, just talking about where we're at right now...
I pay attention to where I get things and the amount of mud and blood on them. Many people have other values in addition to saving a few bucks and discussions like this, I think, get people to realize that their money may support good things as well as bad.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Here's my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in Black Sparkle with a 14 x 6.5" DW Copper snare. The cymbals are a mutant mix of Zildjian, Sabian and UFIP. Had this kit for awhile fut finally had the opportunity to get some decent pics!
Attached Images

Last edited by yamahaha; 07-18-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Gold Member

Nice pic, not sure why you posted it in my kits thread, does it have a custom veneer on it or am I missing something here?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:51 PM

My bad, there was a link in one of the many "show your gear" forums and I didn't look close enough at the thread title.

That's a fine looking kit and great craftsmanship. As much as I love lacquer finishes I sometimes wish I could have a wrapped kit, but they just can't take the heat here in the Palm Springs area. I let someone borrow my Pearl Vision kit an he left the kick drum in his car during a summer day (100+ degrees) and the whole wrap warped. Damn!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

I don't like wraps whatsoever, mine is not a wrap, it is real wood, just like adding another ply to the kit, cept the factory would be done with high pressure or vacuum, whereas mine is redneck mechanix.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Gold Member

Hey uniongoon,

Wasn't this thread at one time about your drums?

I can't remember anymore though...

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3

Last edited by Pass.of.E.r.a.; 07-20-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 AM

Redneck or not, it looks fantastic. Admittedly, I'm wayyyyy to lazy to attempt something like that. Kudos to you for that as well!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Gold Member

Thanks, and thanks to everyone who commented, forums are the nicest way to get a pat on the back.