DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:55 AM
MediocrityMaster MediocrityMaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 128
Default Beginner mixer

Would that be an okay mixer to start off with?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-M...78-i1545212.gc

i think thats a pretty good price, but i dont know the quality of Alesis stuff, i know they make electronic drumsets too, but i dont know how this mixer would work out. i was thinking maybe a snare mic, bass mic, and then two overheads.

i've heard bad things about the effects built in, but i dont really plan on using those

if there are any alternatives for around the same price.. i dont think i can afford something much higher than the $150 for this, and mics. that Zoom mixer is pretty cool, but thats around $500 i think, and i dont think the built in mics would suffice me until i get the money to get new mics.

should i just hold off until later?
__________________
PDP Z5 / Beginner gear :( / Zildjian Scimitar, Sabian AAXplosion! / Remo heads
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,926
Default Re: Beginner mixer

Hold off 'til you have more money. If you can find a nice used Mackie 1402VLZ for $200 that would be a much better investment. You would have to add an effects units, but what you're buying is better circuitry to handle the signals coming in from the drums. A Mackie 1202, 1402, or 1604 is about the minimum I would do - their mic pre-amps are not stunning, but they're built to handle drums at least. In fact, I own a 1604VLZ and love it. If you could find a used Yamaha O1v that's even better, but used the old silver ones will run you about $700.

I'm sure others here will argue that you can do things with a cheap mixer. I argue you should buy something once, not twice.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2011, 09:29 AM
MediocrityMaster MediocrityMaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 128
Default Re: Beginner mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I argue you should buy something once, not twice.
definitely a respectable statement, and yeah i do have the budget to go all out ridiculous on a mixer and mics and such, but its my savings from i was like 7, so i'd rather not throw out 9 years of savings in a few days. i'll just get a real job first.. probably this summer and toss my pay checks into the drum fund. i'd still like to continue my research into all this equipment though.

also, getting a USB mixer, would there be issues with latency if i used one of my older computers to record into? or should i be looking into getting a macbook too or something?
__________________
PDP Z5 / Beginner gear :( / Zildjian Scimitar, Sabian AAXplosion! / Remo heads
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,926
Default Re: Beginner mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocrityMaster View Post
also, getting a USB mixer, would there be issues with latency if i used one of my older computers to record into? or should i be looking into getting a macbook too or something?
Latency can sometimes be caused by just the USB audio interface, or the computer, or both. I had a rather nice Tascam US-1641 audio interface and a PowerBook G4, and I did experience latency when just recording stuff into GarageBand. I probably would've been better served by using a more powerful computer with as much RAM as I could afford, but I just decided to jettison the whole recording into the computer idea and went to a stand-alone multi-track. Much quicker for me to get the recording done.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Beginner mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Hold off 'til you have more money. If you can find a nice used Mackie 1402VLZ for $200 that would be a much better investment. You would have to add an effects units, but what you're buying is better circuitry to handle the signals coming in from the drums. A Mackie 1202, 1402, or 1604 is about the minimum I would do - their mic pre-amps are not stunning, but they're built to handle drums at least. In fact, I own a 1604VLZ and love it. If you could find a used Yamaha O1v that's even better, but used the old silver ones will run you about $700.

I'm sure others here will argue that you can do things with a cheap mixer. I argue you should buy something once, not twice.
Good advice. I have a little Mackie 1202VLZ that is terrific and I got it used off eBay. I wouldn't put too much weight on effects. You can always buy pedals, etc. for those. I'd worry more about the cleanliness of the sound, reliablity, etc.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2011, 02:40 AM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Beginner mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Latency can sometimes be caused by just the USB audio interface, or the computer, or both. I had a rather nice Tascam US-1641 audio interface and a PowerBook G4, and I did experience latency when just recording stuff into GarageBand. I probably would've been better served by using a more powerful computer with as much RAM as I could afford, but I just decided to jettison the whole recording into the computer idea and went to a stand-alone multi-track. Much quicker for me to get the recording done.
I'm running my TASCAM US-1641 into an AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.8 Ghz with 8GB DDR3 RAM with Sonar Producer 8.3=zero latency.
__________________
Ludwig Drums; TaylorMade Golf Clubs
http://www.youtube.com/zombie13studio
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2011, 06:50 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Beginner mixer

Mackie is a good quality mixer for use in sound reinforcement, it doesn't have some of the better specs that I usually require a recording console must have, but for sound reinforcement, it doesn't have to. I use the mixer pictured below for some gigs and its never failed me. Other good quality mixers made for the road are Allen & Heath, Soundcraft and Yamaha. Peavey also has some affordable mixers, but I've never tried their brand, so I can't comment on them. If you're mixing just your kit, I'd look into something that has at least eight microphone channels for future expansion.

BTW, yes, I would hold off a bit on the mixer you pictured. Something better is lurking just around the corner and you'll find it.



Dennis
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com