DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 PM

Default Re: THE DRUM MODIFICATION THREAD.

this thread got me excited and inspired me to try to refinish an old tom i have!! hooray!!

its a Diamond brand tom, if any of you are familiar with the brand. its just an entry level kit and i believe the wood is poplar? (according to my grandfather who at least acts like he knows woods xD) and i just peeled the wrap off which was literally double stick taped on!!!

its good to feel inspired. thank you!!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Three months in the making (money related :S). My Pearl Forum circa 2004 re-wrap from Caron Fibre to Ringo Starr-esque 60's Oyster Black :) (Sorry for the picture quality).

Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENGLISH817 View Post
Hey guys I am about ready to refinish my drums and I need some help. I want to do a sparkle finish in either green or purple. I dont want a wrap, I want to paint the drums. Can anyone tell me 1) what would be the best paint for the drums and 2) how to make a sparkle finish?

Thanks
As a drum builder, I would say not to attempt a sprayed sparkle finish unless you have lots of experience finishing drums already. This type of finish is one of the most difficult to master. An auto shop would be able to do it for you, but if I were you, I would just wrap it in a sparkle wrap, or try a different finish. I did this kit with paint I bought from Lowes. It was the first kit I ever painted, and it turned out great.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Here is a $5 mod I did on my drum kit. I used to be all chrome (like chad smiths kit - will have to try and dig up a pic of it)

So anyway... nipped down to the news agents.... bought some gift wrap.

CHECK IT OUT LMFAO!!! - Yes, I did it for a joke...

BEAT THAT!
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 04:22 PM

converted a 16x14 rack tom into a kick... if you look at it, you'd probably wonder why since the parts i put into the drum are probably worth more than the drum itself. but, i wanted to do it so i did. that's the best reason you'll get out of me. :)

I can go into detail about the whole process if anyone's interested. I even raised the lugs a bit so they'd fit better with the bass drum spurs. Granted, it's not 100% finished. I'm going to probably replace all the spurs with some small die-cast ones (already have two and they fit great), and I haven't finished the BD hoops. Not sure what I want to do yet... kinda depends on what I do with the rest of my Rockstar drums. I'd like to sell them, but maybe I'll keep some to have a small matching kit--12tt, 14ft, and 16bd would be cool.

I really regret porting it though... hate to buy new heads already, but I'm really considering it.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 AM

I'm thinking about completely taking apart my blue DDrum, and wrapping it with a redish color, then putting PDP wood hoops on the snare then possibly getting black hoops and all that jazz for the toms and bass drum, good idea? bad idea?

Last edited by Steffan; 05-26-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

just thought I'd come to the party with a couple of the refinishes I have on some stuff.

the first is an old pearl export (Ignore the display head, it was a spare I had laying about) that I use as an old beater kit. the thing was pretty much wrecked when I got hold of it. little bit of time and a spend of less than 10 and this was the result! double wrapping the hoops was a bit of a pain, but i got there in the end!

the second is a mapex meridian maple exotic snare i just did recently. I found the material and wanted to see it on a kit so had a go.

tell me what you think people!

AJ
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2011, 05:03 AM

hey everyone! heres an old tama rockstar that was a black wrap, i stripped the wrap off and decided to do some cool stuff on it :)

Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 AM
Gold Member

That's pretty neat, especially when photographed in that out door setting!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Administrator

A while back I bought a 16 inch floor tom to go with my Gretsch Renown set.
The tom is a Gretsch Catalina Maple and when I put my clear heads on the toms the Cat looked out of place because of the lack of Silver Sealer. So I ventured off to my local Nuts and Bolts dealer and bought a can of said silver sealer. Will post pix when the project is complete.
Attached Images

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 11-27-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Administrator

And from the secrecy of my workshop, "garage" I have applied the secret sauce, I mean secret sealer. Waiting for a good drying time and then reassembly. Sorry Fred, the secret is out, but you are still an ACE of a guy.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Administrator

The drum is finished and reassembled. While I had it apart I ran some 220 grit along the bearing egdes to clean them up a bit. Now as for sound. Unless my tuning skills are vastly improved over the last four hours, this drum sounds much better. I'm sure the paint had something to do with that whether it was the Gretsch Secret sealer or not. Who knows they may also use ACE Hardware paint by the barrell. It is warmer, less harsh sounding. Now go paint all of your drums quick.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

All that you need to do now Grunt is to replace the badge with a Renown one.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

My latest modification. I finally got around to putting an XLR jack into the bass drum shell.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

OK, here is the finished and reassembled drum with cable plugged in!
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Nice Job IDDrummer,
What mic did you use?
Estimate of total cost?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Bob!

I'm using the same Audix D6 I've used for maybe 5-6 years. That was about $199. The Kelly Shu mount I have had for about two years - that cost around $40, I think. And then there was the cable that I shortened - I think that was about $35. But all that stuff I already had and would use regardless of the jack installation.

The XLR jack itself cost me $5; the correctly sized drill bit was $4.50; screws, washers, and lock washers were around $2. Foam gasket was free packing material from a shipment at work. So, the materials for this part of the project were just under $12.

The wear and tear on my nerves in deciding to drill my beloved bass drum shell was considerably higher! lol But I'm happy now - the install looks fine and the sound of the drum wasn't effected at all, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by IDDrummer; 10-17-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Spelled "Shu" like Elizabeth Shue!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
The drum is finished and reassembled. While I had it apart I ran some 220 grit along the bearing egdes to clean them up a bit. Now as for sound. Unless my tuning skills are vastly improved over the last four hours, this drum sounds much better. I'm sure the paint had something to do with that whether it was the Gretsch Secret sealer or not. Who knows they may also use ACE Hardware paint by the barrell. It is warmer, less harsh sounding. Now go paint all of your drums quick.
That paint job looks great, GD! Did you have to sand down the inside of the shell to get the sealer to soak in, or was the wood unfinished? While I was working on that Ludwig Classic Maple BD I found that the clear coat they use inside the drums is quite heavy and tough! May not be silver, but I bet it influences the sound!

Nice work!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

The install looks great. The XLR plug in the side of the drum looks a hell of a lot better than a mic sticking through a hole in the reso head.
Not a cheap modification though.

I can't see how it wold change the sound of the drum in a noticeable way.
So, The project comes in at around $250US.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
The install looks great. The XLR plug in the side of the drum looks a hell of a lot better than a mic sticking through a hole in the reso head.
Not a cheap modification though.

I can't see how it wold change the sound of the drum in a noticeable way.
So, The project comes in at around $250US.
Yes, if you don't already own the mic and cable. If you do, and you've been micing from the front, I'd call it a $50 mod, for the Shu mount and the jack.

I undertook this entire process because I hate a ported reso head. It just sounds and feels wrong to me, lol! So, baby steps for the past couple of years, and now it is set up just how I want it!

Last edited by IDDrummer; 10-17-2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled "Shu!"
Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Why don't you seen drums that are varnished/stained on the inside as well as the outside?

I'm about to begin de-wrapping my maple kit and do a Tobacco Satin Oil finish, and I think it would look awesome with the inside done and clear heads.

Has anyone here done that, or seen it done?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinAudio View Post
Why don't you seen drums that are varnished/stained on the inside as well as the outside?

I'm about to begin de-wrapping my maple kit and do a Tobacco Satin Oil finish, and I think it would look awesome with the inside done and clear heads.

A hard drying varnish or paint would increase the reflictiveness of the shells interior, thus increasing attack and reducing sustain. Case in point, Hayman Vibrasonic drums use a Polyurathane paint to achieve exactly this.

I believe some Tama Superstars have stained interiors, but without effect on sound.

So, it can be done, but keep in mind what it could possibly do to effect the drums sound.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 PM

Hey all, I'm doing a job on my Mapex Horizon; a humble and misunderstood kit.

There's an attachment below, sorry for the watermark but I don't have one of my actual kit, just mine has an extra tom (8") in the run which is white and the run follows black white after that. (I'll try to get pics soon).

Anyway, I'm not rewrapping it as such, though I am getting a custom decal job over the existing wrap (it won't affect depths of anything for hoops etc) and also getting bass res heads done.

I'm also reheading the whole thing for a nicer, deeper sound.

And now onto my question. I'm also thinking about staining the insides of the shells. They're the white wood and I want it a nice rich, dark brown.

So does anyone have any tips, like how and what to use?

I'll get pics up once it's all done :D

Here's how it is atm (just the colours are reveresed and there's the extra tom in the beginning of the run).

Vic Firth 2B, 2BN, SBR, ProMark 2B, 515TW
Old 11-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinAudio View Post

Yamaha Recording Customs have stained interiors. Their shells are extremely well made. The stain seals the interior nicely and it does look great. The Cherrywood finish drums have a red stained interior that looks very classy.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 11-27-2011, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
That paint job looks great, GD! Did you have to sand down the inside of the shell to get the sealer to soak in, or was the wood unfinished? While I was working on that Ludwig Classic Maple BD I found that the clear coat they use inside the drums is quite heavy and tough! May not be silver, but I bet it influences the sound!

Nice work!
If there was a sealer on the drum I couldn't tell. The paint went on easily enough. One reason to paint the inside was that with clear heads the drum just stood out like a sore thumb. Now that it is also sliver inside it looks more like it belongs to the set.
If I had wanted a brighter sound I would have been in trouble. I'm going to see if Gretsch wants to buy the left over paint from Ace.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Administrator

This is the Bumble Bee Bop set I made from four different brand drums. 18 x 16 converted floor tom with wood hoops, claws and t-rods from 3 different sellers. I think I had 8 or more different sources for the drum parts.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Hi -

Really impressive mods here! When I have time I'll have to check them out in more detail.

I'm a newby and an amateur drummer but I decided that it was time to replace my old Royce kit with something a little better, so I got a Ludwig CS Accent Combo Rock for a good price off Ebay, with an extra kick and 8 x 10 tom thrown in. I was considering a Gretsch Catalina which I'm sure would have been a better set overall, but decided to cheap out because I thought I had a mod that might allow the CS toms to punch above their weight acoustically.

It looks like the tom shells are 6 ply, all light colored wood. If anybody knows what Ludwig means exactly by 'select veneer' here, please tell me. All basswood? Basswood & some birch, or something else? IAC, I assumed the worst. So when I got the drums I bought a 4 oz bottle of thin CA model glue (penetrating super glue) and painted the insides of the tom shells and bearing surfaces with it using a cheap foam paintbrush. I did this outside because the CA fumes while it was curing were horrendous. I figured the results couldn't be too awful because CA basically hardens up to acrylic plastic like used in Vistalite drums:) If anybody else tries, this, don't get the CA glue on the outside of the shell - it's tough to impossible to get off without marring the finish as I found out the hard way. Fortunately, I was able to remove it using acetone and a lot of elbow grease without fatally marring the wrap, which I was able to polish up again with a lot more elbow grease.

I haven't got the drum kit together yet - still waiting for the second kick and the 10 x 8 tom as well as the Remo pinstripe and Aquarian Super Kick 2 batter heads with Falam patches, but the tom shells are definitely stiffer - I'm guessing as much as twice as stiff as they were before I painted their insides with CA glue, so maybe I'll get a better sound than the dead 'thud' sound I've heard some people say basswood gives.

Also, has anybody tried adding mass to the center region of the kick's resonant head, like maybe gluing a cut down single ply head to it? I wonder if giving it more of a diaphragm motion with a bit of extra mass could give more LF output and punch to the sound? Also, I was wondering if doing this might possibly allow tuning the resonant head lower with less wrinkling. I'm not planning to cut a hole in the kick resonant head, so this could be an option.

Thanks much for any response, and I'll be back to check out this site again soon.

Last edited by Tom Dawson; 11-27-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dawson View Post
Also, has anybody tried adding mass to the center region of the kick's resonant head, like maybe gluing a cut down single ply head to it? I wonder if giving it more of a diaphragm motion with a bit of extra mass could give more LF output and punch to the sound? .
I've read quite a few posts where drummers will take an older head and cut out the center of it and tape it over the center of the batter head as you've described. And they all say it adds to the punch of the drum (more articulation).

So, if you have an old head laying around or one that is slightly damaged and you plan on tossing it anyway, it is a free experiment that would only take a few minutes to try out. Give it a whirl and let us know what you think about it.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 PM

May I also mention the EQ pads you can buy for such a purpose?

Just in case :D
Vic Firth 2B, 2BN, SBR, ProMark 2B, 515TW
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

The head is a clear Emp for the reso side of a Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch 24x18 kick. I like this head on the reso for what this group requires. I am fortunate to use several kits for different projects. The small grommet is my compromise on a ported head for a cover trio rock group I play with fairly often. They house their own P.A. Let it be known. I DISLIKE CLICKY KICKS! They were used to having a "clicky" kick sound for their modern songs (20% of their night). I explained how my full reso would provide plenty of click and, more importantly, low-end provided amps and cabs were not too close to the kick and external mic. We had a discussion similar to this...

Them: "Where are your pillows?"
Me: On my bed. Why?
Them: Fine. Where is the hole?
Me: Well... If you must know...
Them: Nevermind. How does it sound?
Me: Turn on the mains.
Press button.
Them: Why is there so much bass?
Me: (face palm) Because it's a bass drum.

We found a happy ground between low end and punch acoustically and I told them I would replicate it over a P.A.

So... This went on for a few gigs and they wanted more attack. I attribute this to their lack of knowledge on running sound; be it FOH or Mons.

Anywho...
I came up with this. I checked out the Kelley Shu mounts and realized I had everything but the cordage in my garage. One trip to HD, minus $7.99, and my internal kick mic is complete. This pic is of a PG52 instead of the Audix or Heil I would normally use. It is installed in my Starclassic Maple 20" kick (in the pic), but was easily switched onto the 24 B/B. The group was more than pleased and I got to keep my almost full (less 3/4") reso.
Attached Images

Last edited by ineedaclutch; 11-28-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm fairly new to all this, so technical terms don't really mean much to me. Anyhow, I've been drumming a year or so on my boyfriends kit. He's now got a new kit and decided that because the old one was past it's best he'd just give it to me (thanking my lucky stars). It's not actually all that bad, just happens to have been passed around a lot. I've now got a whole set of new remo heads and am building up on cymbals but the kit looks horrid.

It's cream.

I've been reading up on recustomising and from what I can make out it's better to strip the wrap from the shells before doing anything. And I'm up for doing it and know all about the prep needed before hand (My dad has had various jobs) but I wanted to know if staining or spraying would be better if there's much difference. I've heard sprays can later crack but presumably if it's good enough quality and done in the right weather it would work?

I'd like to use two colours on my shells (purple and black) so I'm thinking spraying would be better but I'd like some insight first

Cheers
Old 01-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Looks good! How many coats did you do and did you sand between coats?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

I posted this project I'm working on in a 'toms' thread, but it probably should have gone here instead.

These were 'piano black' wrapped, Yamaha 7000 series, circa 1980, 22x14 bass, and 13x9 and 14x10 toms (BD mounted when I started).

I cut them down to half depth, sanded a bit, and re-drilled to re-position the hardware.

That's about as far as I can take it right now, but I'll post another pic if I make more progress.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilogy72 View Post
Looks good! How many coats did you do and did you sand between coats?
I did two coats and used a green pad in between. Thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is the Bumble Bee Bop set I made from four different brand drums. 18 x 16 converted floor tom with wood hoops, claws and t-rods from 3 different sellers. I think I had 8 or more different sources for the drum parts.

Sounds like a real 'labor of love'. The end result looks great.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Thanks. Just keeps me out of the bar. Took a while to amass all of the parts but that kept me from rushing.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 AM
wildbill
This message has been deleted by wildbill.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:57 AM

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...79593787_n.jpg

most recently, I stained the insides of my toms ebony for aesthetic purposes.
(before for comparison)

before that, i painted my hoops and lugs red, and built a router table and put rounder bearing edges on everything.

before that, I cut down a 14" floor tom from 14" to 8.65" (golden ratio) for my rack tom.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:23 PM

I'm looking to strip my amber fade down and make it ruby fade... What's the best way to do this... The drums Are to have the wood grain showing so any help would be greatly appreciated :) x
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

This is a great thread....some real cool mods out there......here is a pic of my acrolite. A buddy of mine "duracoated" it in camo colors and it is now a ...... camolite! Check it out:
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett View Post
As a drum builder, I would say not to attempt a sprayed sparkle finish unless you have lots of experience finishing drums already. This type of finish is one of the most difficult to master. An auto shop would be able to do it for you, but if I were you, I would just wrap it in a sparkle wrap, or try a different finish. I did this kit with paint I bought from Lowes. It was the first kit I ever painted, and it turned out great.

....Beautiful....You did that with paint from Lowes? That is gorgeous