DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Default HELP needed ASAP!

I've just noticed I've got a lug that detunes a lot on my snare. Probably from rim shots.
Problem is I don't have lug locks or any silicone or any other product to stop it detuning and I have a gig tomorrow. I also live in a block of flats so without buying more practice room time tomorrow to make sure it's ok, I can't actually tune it up again before the gig. It's in tune now cos I've just got back from the practice room.

Do you think a little bit of gaffa tape around the lug/tension rod will stop the rot? Really don't want it detuning during the gig. It's only a 30 min set but I hit hard and do gravity blasts etc so my hoops get hit a lot.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: HELP needed ASAP!

I doubt the tape will keep the rod from loosening. Since you have said you are unable to find anything to use, would you be able to keep a drum key on the lug to use as a indicator to the rod loosening? Mark one side of the drum key as the "home", note where it's at in relation to a clock (12 o'clock, 3 o'clock etc...) and monitor it's position throughout the set, tightening back to "home" when you are able during the set.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
I doubt the tape will keep the rod from loosening. Since you have said you are unable to find anything to use, would you be able to keep a drum key on the lug to use as a indicator to the rod loosening? Mark one side of the drum key as the "home", note where it's at in relation to a clock (12 o'clock, 3 o'clock etc...) and monitor it's position throughout the set, tightening back to "home" when you are able during the set.
Good idea. I've made a mental note to spin the snare round too so that lug won't get rimshotted. At least it's death metal and pretty much a wall of noise so people might not notice it even if I do.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreliscious View Post
Good idea. I've made a mental note to spin the snare round too so that lug won't get rimshotted. At least it's death metal and pretty much a wall of noise so people might not notice it even if I do.
Instead of leaving the drum key on, just put a small mark on one side of the head of the lug. The stuff you are playing the key will probably not stay put. You are right that no one will probably notice. :)
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM
sticks4drums

Just thought of something. Do you have any teflon tape, the stuff you use for plumbing, to fill threads. You could put some of that on the thread and thread it in. It would probably hold it.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Just thought of something. Do you have any teflon tape, the stuff you use for plumbing, to fill threads. You could put some of that on the thread and thread it in. It would probably hold it.
That is a good idea. I would definitely not put in any glue or tape as the adhesive will gum up the threads and be hard to get out.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Can't do that cos I'd have to retune it and I can't play drums in my flat. I know I could just take the problem tension rod out, do what you said and then do the tap test quietly but they say you shouldn't de-tune a drum unevenly.

I think I'll do something similar to what you said before - I'll put a bit of white tape on the top of the lug and some on the bottom of the tension rod and draw a couple lines to show where the tension rod needs to be, then if it detunes I can tighten it back into place so the lines match up.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreliscious View Post
Can't do that cos I'd have to retune it and I can't play drums in my flat. I know I could just take the problem tension rod out, do what you said and then do the tap test quietly but they say you shouldn't de-tune a drum unevenly.

I think I'll do something similar to what you said before - I'll put a bit of white tape on the top of the lug and some on the bottom of the tension rod and draw a couple lines to show where the tension rod needs to be, then if it detunes I can tighten it back into place so the lines match up.
You shouldn't need to be loud to tune your heads. I tune mine with just the light tap of my finger, and at the most a light tap with my stick. Go do it in your car if you are that worried. You don't need to bang on it until you get there. Then you could just give it a tweak. :)
Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 PM

Wish I could do that but I'm ulta fussy. I'm really fussy about getting the tension right for the stick rebound.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You shouldn't need to be loud to tune your heads. I tune mine with just the light tap of my finger, and at the most a light tap with my stick. Go do it in your car if you are that worried. You don't need to bang on it until you get there. Then you could just give it a tweak. :)
This ^^^^

One lug 'almost' tuned before hand and then 'tweaked' when you get there, is not going to fundamentally affect the head tension........no matter how fussy you are. There's 9 other lugs in place and in tune at the correct tension already.

This is an easy fix mate and the above post is exactly how I'd go about it.....less than two minutes of your time all up and you're done. If it detunes when you're playing, keep your drum key handy and just tweak it back up again between songs.