DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 AM

Default Drum heads

So recently I quit using Remo heads just because their head quality is killing me. So I've decided to go with Aquarian and Evans, but I feel like I should stick with just 1 brand. So I need you guys help to pick new heads because i've never used Evans or Aquarian. I'm using a maple/basswood kit 12 13 16 22 with steel snare. For snare, I used to use ambassador on both sides, but its a little 2 ringy for me. For toms, I used emperor. For kick, I used powerstroke 3 and evans eq4. So anyways, I'm more like an evans fan, but all of my friends use aquarian and they're really happy with it.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Drum heads

Both brands are pretty good and have things no one else has, but I would go with Evans. For the snare, I would go Power Center Reverse Dot over hazy 300, and for toms use G2's over G1's. That combo is exactly the same as Emps over Ambs. As for bass it really depends on what genre you normally play. But if you like the Powerstroke 3 then the EQ4 is perfect.

I use remo because I like the sound over Evans more, and they fit my bearing edges better. I've never had a bad product from them before, as for evans I got 3 bad heads in a row after hearing about how great and consistent their quality is lmao. I'll probably try again when my local music store sells their bad batch but I've never been wronged by remo. As for Aquarian, as great as the sound curve technology is, it seems (to my ears) to take away from the sound, and I don't much like the feel of them
Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 AM

I was thinking Aquarian SK 2 or 3 and Evans EMAD for kick cause I see alot of people use that. But I'd still prefer a little tone from my kick though because I'm not like a heavy metal player.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:33 AM

Then I would highly recommend the EQ3. really thick, interchangeable dampening rings (not foam like the EMAD) and a lot of low end. It's basically a slightly mellowed out EQ4 that somehow has more attack too lol
Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline183 View Post
So recently I quit using Remo heads just because their head quality is killing me.
Why? Not doubting you, just wondering what you've come across that made you think this.

Quote:
I feel like I should stick with just 1 brand.
Again, why? Why not use what sounds best for you on each type of drum? On my Mapex Pro-M kit, I'm running Remo PS3 front & back on my BD, Evans G1 top & bottom on toms (bought G Plus's but haven't put them on yet), Remo Renaissance Emperor (comparisons to Suede, anyone?) and Amby snare side or Evans Hazy 300 on Ahead 6x14 brass snare, Same snare-sides and Aquarian Hi-Energy batter on 5x14 Mapex Pro-M maple snare, Evans EC or Remo CS ('cause I never need a swishy brush sound from it) and same snare-side heads on Pearl Q-Popper aux snare. All that said, for any of those heads, I'd try the other companies' equivalent for any of them- Amby/G1, PS3/EQ4, whatever- unless there was an issue like the complaints here on DW of Remo's snare head coating from several months ago. The only similar thing I'm fussy about regarding this is that I'd like all my toms to have the same head type (not necessarily brand) combo- either single/single, double/single, muffled double/single, and not mixing clear/coated/muffled... I cringe when I see someone with a 10" clear Pinstripe, 12" Hydraulic, and 14" coated Ambassador- even on a rehearsal kit, that'd bug the crap outta me.

Not pushing my opinions on you, just asking why it matters to you. Curious.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Oh cause sometimes when I buy new ambassador, its just bad quality. The coat wears out in less than 1 week, and when i stretch the head, sometimes i hear the cracking noise and stuff. And me sticking to one brand is just like a preference thing. Like if I buy hardware, I'd definitely buy from pearl.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

I wouldn't limit myself to just one brand of heads. I stopped using Remo years ago because of the coating issue and went to Evans and found a lot of great heads and a lot of different sounds.

But I also recently tried out some Aquarians (Modern Vintage and Superkick) and love those too.

Now, I switch back and forth and mix and match depending on what sound I need from a particular set up. I'll even use Remo Renaissance from time to time as well, too.

It should be about sound first, brand second.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Oh cause sometimes when I buy new ambassador, its just bad quality. The coat wears out in less than 1 week, and when i stretch the head, sometimes i hear the cracking noise and stuff. And me sticking to one brand is just like a preference thing. Like if I buy hardware, I'd definitely buy from pearl.
With the coating thing, did it just get smooth or could you actually see the clear film underneath? Because the coating will always be smooth, not matter what brand it is. I had a Coated reverse dot on my snare for almost a year and the coating never ever came off, just smoothed out where I hit the most. Same with Evans coated heads. The cracking is just the resin in the collar setting. Again all heads do this. That cracking sound means the head is setting. When it stops it means the head is seated for the most part.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:39 PM

But it cracks ALOT, and I wasnt even tuning it. Yeah and after like a few days of playing, it looked badly damaged. Anyways, it happened like a few times already, especially on 2 ply heads, and its kinda annoying. Anyways, I'll probably use Aquarian for kick and maybe snare.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicstar View Post
With the coating thing, did it just get smooth or could you actually see the clear film underneath? Because the coating will always be smooth, not matter what brand it is. I had a Coated reverse dot on my snare for almost a year and the coating never ever came off, just smoothed out where I hit the most. Same with Evans coated heads. The cracking is just the resin in the collar setting. Again all heads do this. That cracking sound means the head is setting. When it stops it means the head is seated for the most part.
From my experience the coatings on some of the Remo products don't just wear, but pieces about the size of dimes just chip off leaving the clear Mylar behind. I've been using mostly Evans products for the last 5 years, although I do use coated Ambassadors top and bottom on my DW Classic toms.

Dennis
Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 AM

Btw, would u guys prefer clear or coated batter on toms? I really like the resonance of clear heads but I'm like a heavy hitter and I don't think its gonna last me long. Personally coated heads on toms sound kinda choked to me. Its warmer, but there's not alot of resonance and sustain.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Btw, would u guys prefer clear or coated batter on toms? I really like the resonance of clear heads but I'm like a heavy hitter and I don't think its gonna last me long. Personally coated heads on toms sound kinda choked to me. Its warmer, but there's not alot of resonance and sustain.
You're kinda answering your own question there, aren't you? If you don't like the sound of coated heads, don't use them. There's no right or wrong answers, just preferences.

Since you're familiar with Emperors I'd suggest either Evans G2 or EC2 for the tom batters, paired with G1 or EC Resonants on the bottom.

If you're looking to tame a steel snare I'd go with a Genera Dry or ST Dry. Evans snare bottoms are just okay, but I've had to go to other brands to find any that I really liked. I really like Aquarian's Hi-Performance snare side head. A Ludwig snare side has a nice clear, bright open tone. For something dark I love Remo Renaissance snare side heads.

An Aquarian Super Kick is a great bass head, as is the Evans EQ2. With either one of those I can run my bass drum wide open and get a really nice tone that's still pretty punchy.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 AM

well i'm looking for a way to get good sound and not abuse my heads cuz i'm like a teenager. Low allowance and no job. Btw I heard a lot of people think EC2 sounds 2 dead, is that true? I really like toms with lots of resonance.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Gold Member

I wouldn't call an EC2 "dead" at all. It has more control of the higher overtones than a plain G2, but the damping ring doesn't do that much.

Otherwise, I think the best balance between durability and wide open tone would be a clear G2. I'd pair that with a G1 or G Plus on the bottom and you should get plenty of sustain.