DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Low budget drum recording help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey182 View Post
I want to know if you've ever synced music to your playing using the Q3HD? If so, is it easy? Is the software easy to use?
HAHA The batteries are expensive for some things, Luckily I have bin literally full of batteries and half of them are AA's.
I don't think the Q3HD alone is built for that. I do all of my recording with the Zoom R16 multitrack, then sync that audio file to my video file in iMovie on my mac. For me, it's easy, but you have to have the gear to do that.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I don't think the Q3HD alone is built for that. I do all of my recording with the Zoom R16 multitrack, then sync that audio file to my video file in iMovie on my mac. For me, it's easy, but you have to have the gear to do that.
The what should I get if thats what I will be doing?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The what should I get if thats what I will be doing?
Explain to me what you will be doing. My post on what I do pretty much explains how to do it. If you show me you have a clear picture of what your end product is and how to go about getting it done, then I can tell you what to do. But you said you didn't have a lot of money - my option will cost money. Are you ready to spend a little under $1,000?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Explain to me what you will be doing. My post on what I do pretty much explains how to do it. If you show me you have a clear picture of what your end product is and how to go about getting it done, then I can tell you what to do. But you said you didn't have a lot of money - my option will cost money. Are you ready to spend a little under $1,000?
Ummmm no.
I was just wondering if the Zoom Q3 is good for filming drum covers, and a cheaper alternative to buying Mics, mixer, software and all that other stuff.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ummmm no.
I was just wondering if the Zoom Q3 is good for filming drum covers, and a cheaper alternative to buying Mics, mixer, software and all that other stuff.
The Q3 is good for filming stuff that's happening at the same time (live). So, if you were playing with a band, putting it in front of the band and making a video, it does that stuff very well. Solo drumming, it also does that well.

But doing a drum cover would mean one of two things; 1) You can play your music track through a loud amp next to you while you play along - all of it going live into the Q3. Or 2) You have available separate tracks, and you can pre-record your music track on one track, and then record your drums to another track. With this option, you will still have to be able to lock the whole thing to video, this is where it gets hard.

Another way to try this would be to buy yourself a small mixer (one of those $99 4-channel Behringers at the Guitar Center) and a couple of mics (place one in the bass drum on the pillow and place one directly overhead about 3 feet over your snare drum - this will cost you at least another $200).
Plug your iPod into one of the tracks, and plug your two mics into two other tracks. Take the LINE OUT from the mixer and get an adapter so the two RCA plugs go into a single 1/8" stereo plug. Plug your headphones into the mixer's headphone jack and put those on. Plug the 1/8" stereo plug into the LINE IN on the Q3, now you're doing a live mix directly into your camcorder. Set your levels and make sure you're not distorting into the Q3, hit record on the Q3, play your iPod, and start playing along. The Q3 is automatically synced to your audio 'cause it'all going down at the same time. This method works great, but it'll take time to experiment where your sound levels are at, the music might be too loud, you might be too loud, you get the idea. You'll just keep performing until you get something you like.

Personally, in your case, I'd just borrow an amplifier, and position it close to your head but also facing forward at the Q3 which will be recording the whole thing. Play your music track through it so you can hear, hit record on the Q3 and let it record a live performance. If the end result is that you can see and hear what you're doing as an educational exercise, this would be perfect. In fact, it'll capture a performance so you can see if you have any inconsistencies in strokes, timing, dynamics, etc.,...then you can critique yourself and fix things you know have to be fixed. And all you did was buy a Q3 and borrowed somebody's amplifier.

If you go my way, then you're buying all this gear and stuff and then there's this learning curve that you might not even want to tackle by learning how to run everything. If I was a technical neophyte, I wouldn't even be interested and would probably never try it. Your focus is to play better drums, yes? You don't necessarily want to learn another career, eh?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The Q3 is good for filming stuff that's happening at the same time (live). So, if you were playing with a band, putting it in front of the band and making a video, it does that stuff very well. Solo drumming, it also does that well.

But doing a drum cover would mean one of two things; 1) You can play your music track through a loud amp next to you while you play along - all of it going live into the Q3. Or 2) You have available separate tracks, and you can pre-record your music track on one track, and then record your drums to another track. With this option, you will still have to be able to lock the whole thing to video, this is where it gets hard.

Another way to try this would be to buy yourself a small mixer (one of those $99 4-channel Behringers at the Guitar Center) and a couple of mics (place one in the bass drum on the pillow and place one directly overhead about 3 feet over your snare drum - this will cost you at least another $200).
Plug your iPod into one of the tracks, and plug your two mics into two other tracks. Take the LINE OUT from the mixer and get an adapter so the two RCA plugs go into a single 1/8" stereo plug. Plug your headphones into the mixer's headphone jack and put those on. Plug the 1/8" stereo plug into the LINE IN on the Q3, now you're doing a live mix directly into your camcorder. Set your levels and make sure you're not distorting into the Q3, hit record on the Q3, play your iPod, and start playing along. The Q3 is automatically synced to your audio 'cause it'all going down at the same time. This method works great, but it'll take time to experiment where your sound levels are at, the music might be too loud, you might be too loud, you get the idea. You'll just keep performing until you get something you like.

Personally, in your case, I'd just borrow an amplifier, and position it close to your head but also facing forward at the Q3 which will be recording the whole thing. Play your music track through it so you can hear, hit record on the Q3 and let it record a live performance. If the end result is that you can see and hear what you're doing as an educational exercise, this would be perfect. In fact, it'll capture a performance so you can see if you have any inconsistencies in strokes, timing, dynamics, etc.,...then you can critique yourself and fix things you know have to be fixed. And all you did was buy a Q3 and borrowed somebody's amplifier.

If you go my way, then you're buying all this gear and stuff and then there's this learning curve that you might not even want to tackle by learning how to run everything. If I was a technical neophyte, I wouldn't even be interested and would probably never try it. Your focus is to play better drums, yes? You don't necessarily want to learn another career, eh?
I actually was doing that system with the whole amp thing, and I own my own amp.
The only thing is that I want to make it sound slightly more professional.
By the way, I'm sold on the Q3HD. I just have to sell my video camera now!
JVC Everio HDD- Burgundy color ---120$ :)
Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I actually was doing that system with the whole amp thing, and I own my own amp.
The only thing is that I want to make it sound slightly more professional.
By the way, I'm sold on the Q3HD. I just have to sell my video camera now!
JVC Everio HDD- Burgundy color ---120$ :)
How 'bout this:

Keep the camera you have, and get the Zoom H2 audio recorder ($150?). You set the camera recording, and also set the H2 recording (it's just like the Q3, but no video) and this device will be recording what's coming through your small mixer with the two mics and the iPod. When you're done, import both files (audio form the H2 and video from your JVC) into a video editing program that can work on your laptop (I don't know what these would be, I'm not a Windows guy - but there must be something simple to use like iMovie on your laptop). Then you can sync the two together and create a video (you will not be using the audio from your JVC, just the video portion). This is basically what I do but you're limited to stereo recording. Smaller investment but better results with some practice. So what do I have you down to? $400? Wasn't that you're target? You'll have to find a Windows video editor, though. You might be able to download one for free?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
How 'bout this:

Keep the camera you have, and get the Zoom H2 audio recorder ($150?). You set the camera recording, and also set the H2 recording (it's just like the Q3, but no video) and this device will be recording what's coming through your small mixer with the two mics and the iPod. When you're done, import both files (audio form the H2 and video from your JVC) into a video editing program that can work on your laptop (I don't know what these would be, I'm not a Windows guy - but there must be something simple to use like iMovie on your laptop). Then you can sync the two together and create a video (you will not be using the audio from your JVC, just the video portion). This is basically what I do but you're limited to stereo recording. Smaller investment but better results with some practice. So what do I have you down to? $400? Wasn't that you're target? You'll have to find a Windows video editor, though. You might be able to download one for free?
That sounds like a good idea!
I will contact Windows and see if they offer any downloadable movie editing programs.
Thanks Bo!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I will contact Windows and see if they offer any downloadable movie editing programs.
Thanks Bo!
And don't forget my $250 consultation fee ;)
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
And don't forget my $250 consultation fee ;)
Whats your mailing address? ;)
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks Bo!
hey joey,

if you are using Windows XP still, Windows Movie Maker, should already be installed on your system. If you have Vista or Win7, you need to download Windows Live Essentials to get that. It is also free but it is somehow a foolproof lighter version with less features and control. I kinda like the old version and still enjoying it on my desktop.

oh by the way, how about my consultancy fee? :)

cheers.
Tolga
Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolgapala View Post
hey joey,

if you are using Windows XP still, Windows Movie Maker, should already be installed on your system. If you have Vista or Win7, you need to download Windows Live Essentials to get that. It is also free but it is somehow a foolproof lighter version with less features and control. I kinda like the old version and still enjoying it on my desktop.

oh by the way, how about my consultancy fee? :)

cheers.
Tolga
Well Windows Movie Maker isn't exactly up-to-date. I'd rather use something that operates at a faster and more awesomer way.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Posts deleted. Please no posts about pirating software, thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 AM

Well, looks like a lot of us are recording drums on a budget!

There's a lot of scattered information (not bad, just scattered) about how to record drums. Many are on a tight budget, and so many of us have our handy camcorders and Windows Movie Maker.

I decided to embark on a little project to put together a how-to on how to record drum covers with very basic equipment and software. I've written an introductory article at my site:

Record Yourself Playing Drums

I talk about the different ways we endeavor to play better, but that recording yourself play (with an emphasis on playing covers) is a great way to get better at drumming. If you have questions or comments on your experiences, or what you'd like to see covered, feel free to leave your comments at the article. I will be posting follow-up articles soon.

See you in your videos!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:19 AM

Hey all.

I've written the second in a series I'm writing regarding recording drum covers with just your camcorder, and editing with Windows Movie Maker:

Recording Drum Covers - Seeing Is Believing

This article focuses more on the camcorder and lighting issues, and there will be more articles coming. If you have questions or comments, by all means, say it! :)

Enjoy.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Hi everyone!

I've published the third in the "Recording Drum Covers" series at my site:

Recording Drum Covers - Sound Guidelines

The article mentions the audio aspects of our covers that we have control over, and some guidelines on how to get a great recording. As mentioned previously, even though the focus is geared towards those drummers who only have a camcorder and Windows Movie Maker, there are general guidelines there as well.

There will be more to come!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 AM

Hello yet again!

I've written the fourth installment in the 'Recording Drum Covers' series, this time focusing a little more on the video editing software, namely Windows Movie Maker.

Remember, we're talking about recording on a budget, so you can't beat Movie Maker's price: free.

Recording Drum Covers - Presentation

Let me know what you think! There's more to come, by the way - it's all discussed in the article. Enjoy!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

hey Omar,

Cool summary and series!

Just picked up my Zoom H2 recorder. Running 3 mics (snare/HH + Overhead + Bass) into a Xenx mixer. I'll will use the audio exclusively from the mixer with an iPod into the mixer as well. So I'll be eliminating the crappy audio from the simple Cannon camera and just use the video portion. I suppose that means 2 separate files to manipulate. Any tips or suggestions when doing this on Movie Maker?

(would like to also thank Mr. Disneyland - Bo Eder for his input)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
hey Omar,

Cool summary and series!

Just picked up my Zoom H2 recorder. Running 3 mics (snare/HH + Overhead + Bass) into a Xenx mixer. I'll will use the audio exclusively from the mixer with an iPod into the mixer as well. So I'll be eliminating the crappy audio from the simple Cannon camera and just use the video portion. I suppose that means 2 separate files to manipulate. Any tips or suggestions when doing this on Movie Maker?
Hey SD,

Glad you enjoyed the series! More to come. :)

Yes, the Zoom H2 is handy indeed (I even tested out the guitar tuning feature - "pretty cool"!). From the setup you describe above (which is also very cool), I'm not sure how you'd be using the H2, so I'm curious about that.

In any case, if the "two separate files to manipulate" are the video and the audio from the mix, they're easy enough to import into Movie Maker (I'm not sure of all the video formats that Movie Maker accepts, but definitely at least .avi and .mpg).

As far as editing in Movie Maker, you may need synchronize the video with your audio from the mixer, and save that video. Then you can import that video and the song you played to, and synchronize those two.

However, if you already mixed your drumming to the song you played to, then you would just have to import that audio file and your video into Movie Maker, and synchronize those two. You'd have to play with 'sliding' the audio around until you can get it as close as possible to your playing. This is where the 'nudge' feature comes in handy.

That's the gist! I'd love to see how it all turns out.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, I tried mounting and placing the Zoom H2 in various locations to bring up the volume of the bass drum. However when I placed it right in front of the BD, I couldn't get clean tones from the HH and snare (which took me meticulous hours to tune!).

I have the 3 mics AND an iPod into the Behringer mixer. This goes from the mixer's headphone output into the Zoom H2. I listen along with headphones plugged into the H2 while recording. I did some test recordings, and they sound clean.

This means I will not be using ANY AUDIO from the cheapy Canon camera file, just the video. So I will have to figure out how to turn off the audio from this video file. Do-able in Movie Maker, right?

(I'll put some Thunder and Lightning too!)
Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Yeah, I tried mounting and placing the Zoom H2 in various locations to bring up the volume of the bass drum. However when I placed it right in front of the BD, I couldn't get clean tones from the HH and snare (which took me meticulous hours to tune!).

I have the 3 mics AND an iPod into the Behringer mixer. This goes from the mixer's headphone output into the Zoom H2. I listen along with headphones plugged into the H2 while recording. I did some test recordings, and they sound clean.

This means I will not be using ANY AUDIO from the cheapy Canon camera file, just the video. So I will have to figure out how to turn off the audio from this video file. Do-able in Movie Maker, right?

(I'll put some Thunder and Lightning too!)
Good stuff BigDin!

Yes, you most definitely can mute the audio from the video file in Movie Maker; not a problem.

By the way, I added the thunder and lightning in CyberLink's PowerDirector, so I cheated a little. :) But Movie Maker has some cool effects too.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:00 AM

BigDin,

I forgot to mention. Have you tried sitting the H2 further away from the bass drum, instead of placing it right in front? I recommend two, even three meters (or three yards) away from the front of the bass drum. This should limit distortion, and maybe even get a more distributed sound from the bass drum and snare. You may also try placing the H2 on the floor, and then maybe off the floor a little bit. Also, experiment with the 90 degree microphone setting, and then the 120 degree setting, and see how that goes.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Gold Member

Ok - Omar,

I'll try some other angles and distances. If it's not right in front of the bass drum, I don't get enough "Thump". I had it about 1.5 feet to the right of the bass drum's front, and managed good volume, but not a crisp tone from the snare or hihat. That's when I started plugging in the mic's and going to Radio Shack for plug adaptors!

I'll wait on the lightning. I'm already in over my head with Movie maker!