DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 PM
sticks4drums

Default American Idol

OK, I admit it. I watch American Idol. Anybody else out there watching it. Any favorites.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Default Re: American Idol

Ok, I admit it too. My favorite is Pia Tescono. Oooooohhhhh, the things I could do to her!
Kidding aside, she's freaking awsome.
Also, how about that drummer? That guy is smokin'! What a great bass drum sound.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

I'm a Casey fan but man, he needs to step it up!

On a side note, I'm glad that girl who kept singing in Spanish is gone. What a headache!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

It's better than the UK version, but only in the same way that dying quickly's better than dying slowly.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

I'd watch it if they stuck a couple of cameras in front of the band playing the music. I'm not all that interested in an amateur singing contest. Now the musicians who are able to learn all of those songs inside of a week and nail it dead on, THAT'S talent.

I can understand AI's appeal though.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
nhzoso

Yes I watch it although I think it is seriously lacking without Simon..No one wants to tell someone when they suck, even constructively. I don't think Steven Tyler can keep a thought going for more than 15 seconds then he seems to forget what he was just saying, so now he usually just says I agree with whomever just talked before him but if he is 1st watch him and you will notice it.

I think it will come down to Pia and Jacob.
Haley is the Hottest one IMO and I cannot listen too paul at all. Everytime he sings I have to leave the room.

I also think they used their save wayy to early, Casey is cool and all but he has no chance of winning this and that last performance was one of the worse I have ever seen on American Idol.. I bet if Simon was there he would not have been saved.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Steven is a lousy judge. He is too spaced out. I want real critique not ass kissing. Judges need to be able to identify the negs, they all seem to kiss too much ass for me. Pia rocks. She's clearly in another leauge from the rest.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 PM
sticks4drums

Well I love Pia also. She is the total package. I actually really like Steven, just because he seems like a really genuinely nice person. He has a big heart, but sometimes gets lost like poor old Paula used to. The save should not of been wasted on the growler. He will never win anyways. Very talented, but no idol. That is the name of the show after all.

Haley would be my second choice. Great legs. :) Cant stand Jacob. I will leave it at that.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
I cannot listen too paul at all. Everytime he sings I have to leave the room.
I agree. How on earth did he get past the first round? He butchers the crap out whatever he sings and then the crowd and judges go nuts for him. I feel like some sort of practical joke is being played on all of us.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 PM
sticks4drums

It's the smile :) Hey if Rod Stewart did it, why not this guy.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
It's the smile :) Hey if Rod Stewart did it, why not this guy.
Or that Beiber stuff...

When will he go away?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 AM
Administrator

Not in a few years and not with this batch of judges.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 AM

they should rename it "american kareoke popularity contest" that is all it is and ever will be .. never watched more than 5 minutes of it to see what it was about in the first season

Idol and jersey shore ( or as I like to call that show . pissed off fake tan drama brats) give me more reason to believe I live in the dumbest country in the world.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
sticks4drums

Come on guys, it's fun. :) Something to do. They get some really good singers on there. I don't mind watching Pia sing. The band is really good.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

I watch and enjoy it and am actually enjoying this year's judges. I think Simon's rants were getting old and they needed a change.

This year's batch of singers are probably the best overall they've had in a while. Pia is good but I have to say she is not my favorite because I think we've seen her before. Do we really want another Celine/Whitney ballad singer?

As for Paul, I agree with most of you...what the heck is he doing there? Can't stand him. He should stick to being in a Rod Stewart cover band on weekends because I definitely can't stand to hear him sing anything else!

I'm actually a Casey and Jacob fan. Casey is really good when being himself and not trying to hard. I would love to see him play some more stand up base and I actually like Jacob because it's a nice change of pace to hear actual rock songs instead of sappy ballads or bad modern-day pop songs. He's a little annoying but for a kid with Ausberger's and Turret's he's doing okay.

And finally, will someone please get rid of Naima with her African dances and can't hold a tune voice? What is up with her?

But then again... these are all just my own sad little opinions :)
Old 03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Come on guys, it's fun. :) Something to do

Hopefully your life hasn't gotten this boring, that you need something to do!!!
Dr. Phil and Oprah in the afternoon I guess?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
I watch and enjoy it and am actually enjoying this year's judges. I think Simon's rants were getting old and they needed a change.

This year's batch of singers are probably the best overall they've had in a while. Pia is good but I have to say she is not my favorite because I think we've seen her before. Do we really want another Celine/Whitney ballad singer?

As for Paul, I agree with most of you...what the heck is he doing there? Can't stand him. He should stick to being in a Rod Stewart cover band on weekends because I definitely can't stand to hear him sing anything else!

I'm actually a Casey and Jacob fan. Casey is really good when being himself and not trying to hard. I would love to see him play some more stand up base and I actually like Jacob because it's a nice change of pace to hear actual rock songs instead of sappy ballads or bad modern-day pop songs. He's a little annoying but for a kid with Ausberger's and Turret's he's doing okay.

And finally, will someone please get rid of Naima with her African dances and can't hold a tune voice? What is up with her?

But then again... these are all just my own sad little opinions :)
Casey gets worse every week. He better get his act together if he wants to stick around. He really isn't Idol material though. I really like the chemistry of the judges this year. Gives the show a good feeling. Jennifer has to quit talking over people, and how does she get better looking every week. :) I really like Haley, I just don't think she has found her style yet.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Come on guys, it's fun. :) Something to do

Hopefully your life hasn't gotten this boring, that you need something to do!!!
Dr. Phil and Oprah in the afternoon I guess?
Now don't be mean.
And you are on here because?
Come on at least admit that we are a lonely and needy race that needs to be heard or in contact witih people every hour of the day. :)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 PM
sticks4drums

So who is going home tonight guys. Any Ideas. It has to be Naima, or Thia.

I love Elton John songs. What a great night last night. So many good performances. Just goes to show, when you have good stuff to sing from, it makes for a good night. I thought Lauren and Pia were great.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
and I actually like Jacob because it's a nice change of pace to hear actual rock songs instead of sappy ballads or bad modern-day pop songs. He's a little annoying but for a kid with Ausberger's and Turret's he's doing okay.
Actually you're referring to James Durbin not Jacob.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
sticks4drums

Good catch. I will not miss Jacob. Too much drama for me.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
Actually you're referring to James Durbin not Jacob.
Yep you are correct! Actually can't stand Jacob and his over-acted singing.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Yep you are correct! Actually can't stand Jacob and his over-acted singing.
I'm with you on this.
My family and the A.I. judges think he's great.
I think he tries way too hard. He needs to relax but then again I'm a laidback dude.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

Jacob is very animated but imo, not only is the dude talented, he's possibly the most talented one there.

Unfortunately, thats not saying a ton considering this years group, I know. He also partially fulfills my dream of attending services in an all-Black church down in the deep south.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:47 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 View Post
Jacob is very animated but imo, not only is the dude talented, he's possibly the most talented one there.

Unfortunately, thats not saying a ton considering this years group, I know. He also partially fulfills my dream of attending services in an all-Black church down in the deep south.
You think it is a weak group? Honestly. I think it is the strongest group yet. Jacob has talent, but he is no idol in my opinion. The only people that are going to buy his cd's are old ladies. :)
Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
You think it is a weak group? Honestly. I think it is the strongest group yet.
You got me. Haha, not sure why I said that! I guess what I meant was that while it is a very good group, they're not a very versatile group. Scotty with his twang, Casey with his gruff and James with his screaming. Anyhow, who knows at this point. I've been surprised myself at what these guys have picked done.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 AM
sticks4drums

Well I think the right two went home tonight.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Paul??????? The guy CAN'T sing at all. It's painful to watch.
Great smile.........................That's it.
Pia is by far the most talented. PLEASE get rid of Paul. I can't take it anymore.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well I think the right two went home tonight.

I would say ONE of the right two went home - Naima. Paul should have been the other one. I think he seems like a nice guy but that voice is just wrong.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
sticks4drums

Paul? I know, I know. But he is unique. Thia has a beautiful voice but she is boring. She sounds like she should be 25. She is no idol. I actually have Paul's voice down pretty good now. Don't worry he is going home next week.

Please, oh please send Jacob home. He will never be an idol.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 PM

IMO

Casey is the best "Artist" Pia is Hot!! and Haley, who looks like she's a big brat, has charachter in her voice that I like.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus Mutation View Post
IMO

Casey is the best "Artist" Pia is Hot!! and Haley, who looks like she's a big brat, has charachter in her voice that I like.
Thumbs up. Sorry they don't believe in emoticons on this site. I love them. I think they break the tension, and are good for softening intent.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

There is no "Judging" or even realistic critique going on here. At least twice I've seen J-Lo visibly wince when a singer blew a note and then told the kid they nailed the song. Come on. Simon was tough on these kids but most of the time his criticism was dead on. If they had real judges giving real critiques of the performances most of the public wouldn't "get it". I now hear people using the term "pitchy" when they don't have a clue as to what that means. How about phrasing, nailing attacks, etc. nobody in the typical TV viewing audience knows about that or cares. They just have favorites and vote for them based on their own personal biases. Randy probably has the closest thing to credentials at judging this stuff but he won't do it. J-Lo is eye candy who loves everyone. Steven is uhmmm, not sure what he is. They should have Don Was doing the judging his short segments at least show him working with these kids on their strenghts and weaknesses. Harry Connick was a very good guest mentor on last years show. He told the truth to the kids but did it in a constructive way.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman View Post
There is no "Judging" or even realistic critique going on here. At least twice I've seen J-Lo visibly wince when a singer blew a note and then told the kid they nailed the song. Come on. Simon was tough on these kids but most of the time his criticism was dead on. If they had real judges giving real critiques of the performances most of the public wouldn't "get it". I now hear people using the term "pitchy" when they don't have a clue as to what that means. How about phrasing, nailing attacks, etc. nobody in the typical TV viewing audience knows about that or cares. They just have favorites and vote for them based on their own personal biases. Randy probably has the closest thing to credentials at judging this stuff but he won't do it. J-Lo is eye candy who loves everyone. Steven is uhmmm, not sure what he is. They should have Don Was doing the judging his short segments at least show him working with these kids on their strenghts and weaknesses. Harry Connick was a very good guest mentor on last years show. He told the truth to the kids but did it in a constructive way.
Couple things here that I agree with.

1) I thought I was the only one who felt that way about J-lo. There have been so many times this year where someone gives a dreadful performance and as the camera pans to the judges table, I start thinking "Oh, man. Here it comes!" But it never does! It's like no one can do any wrong in their eyes. To further add to it, I thought Pia's performance last night was clearly the best, but when it got the judges, they were picking it apart! Really? Really, same group who said Pauls performance was "outstanding"? This is what separates the show with Simon Cowell and the show sans Simon Cowell. Either it's rigged or no one has the testicular fortitude to lay it down, I don't get it.
2) Harry was not only hilarious, but he had some great advice too. Instead we get treated to Marc Anthony who just hams it up for the camera and, honestly.... kind of acts like he's on drugs.
3) What the crap is Steven Tyler even talking about half the time? God love him, but there's no way he'll be back next year. He's far too spacey. You can totally see him brain fart in the middle of sentence and have a mini freak-out trying to regain himself. Poor guy.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 AM
sticks4drums

Oh common. Be nice you guys. It is just entertainment. Ja Lo gets better looking every week. I love Steven. He seems like such a good soul. He has earned the right to just be him. He is great. Everyone loves him. He will be back. Simon was the biggest dick going. Thought he was Gods gift to woman. The kids this year are so good you don't need to judge them. They are all going to make money. Even Paul pulled it off last night. It is going to be so hard to pick who goes home. I know who I want, but it probably won't happen. Be nice, or I'm coming to your house to watch it tonight. :)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Administrator

From MSNBC entertainment department.

Is Steven Tyler turning into 'Idol's' new Paula?

The problem is that Tyler really isn't saying anything at all when he judges. He's just sitting there playing the role of the Rock Star Emeritus with tenure presiding over a class of graduate students, spicing up his comments with a joke or a risqué phrase to stay relevant to the younger generation. While Jackson is at least occasionally making an attempt to be critical and J.Lo seems to see herself as their coach, Tyler talks like his central aim in the show is to be everyone's friend.

Those aren't brain farts, those are dead cells trying to cope. He is too burnt out. they got him for cheap so why not.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
From MSNBC entertainment department.

Is Steven Tyler turning into 'Idol's' new Paula?

The problem is that Tyler really isn't saying anything at all when he judges. He's just sitting there playing the role of the Rock Star Emeritus with tenure presiding over a class of graduate students, spicing up his comments with a joke or a risqué phrase to stay relevant to the younger generation. While Jackson is at least occasionally making an attempt to be critical and J.Lo seems to see herself as their coach, Tyler talks like his central aim in the show is to be everyone's friend.

Those aren't brain farts, those are dead cells trying to cope. He is too burnt out. they got him for cheap so why not.
OK, grumpy, is that your kit in the Avatar. :) I just put that up as my pic of the month on my site. :) Very unique. I loved the 57 Shevy.
When he went up to that guys fiancee in the wheel chair, and hugged and kissed her on the cheek, he won me over. Very cool.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Administrator

That 57 Renown is my dream kit. My local Ma and Pa has one and I keep drooling on it. Going to another clinic Monday night, so I can drool some more. My kit is a Cherry Burst Renown kit.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

Those 57's are ridiculous. They have one at our store out here and it looks even better in person.

I also like to make the connection that being from Michigan and the kits finish being called "Motor City Blue" that we are somehow even more destined to be together.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Administrator

And where are you in Maryland. I'm from Catonsville.