DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Going to the coast (SoCal)

I know we have some SoCal regulars here on DW, so I wanted to ask the locals a few things. I'm planning a family trip to SoCal...the L.A. area...but not sure when is best? I hear spring break is soon (or now?) Would this be a bad time for a visit? We might want to hit Disneyland, but not if it's going to be a madhouse. Also, I'm thinking that traffic will be a bit worse and hotels more expensive.

We lived in the Bay Area for a short time and spent a couple of days in L.A. We did Universal Studios for a day but didn't see much else. We did take a stroll through downtown, where we were stopped by a homeless gentleman who explained that he was the subject of several CIA mind-control experiments. LOL!

I'm trying to think of some unconventional drumming opportunities, while down there. I hate to miss a whole week of practice (aside from a pad in the hotel.) Maybe I could schedule a lesson?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 AM
OrangeAgent27's Avatar
OrangeAgent27 OrangeAgent27 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Marylandistan
Posts: 512
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

The only thing I know about SoCal is the Carne Asada fries. Apparently, they're sublime.
__________________
OA27
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,788
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

Given not every college has Spring Break at the same time, I don't think there is any one week that is better/worse than any other.

Disneyland and the freeways are always crazy year around.

And no, I would never recommend strolling around downtown. Although certain sections of downtown have been cleaned up a lot in the last few years. It's much safer than it used to be.

As for drumming:
Check out the Hollywood Guitar center with the Rock Walk. And right next door is the Sam Ash Drum department. Between the two, there is a ton of drum gear to drool over.

It is also worth hitting up The Professional Drum Shop (aka Pro drum) in Hollywood. It's not huge, it's a bit funky, but you can spend hours just looking at all the old photos tacked on the walls.

It's also worth looking to see who is playing at the Baked Potato when you are in town. Big name players are often doing side gigs at this tiny little club in North Hollywood.

And yes, many name players offer lessons when available. Even Gregg Bissonette has been advertising recently.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:26 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Given not every college has Spring Break at the same time, I don't think there is any one week that is better/worse than any other.

Disneyland and the freeways are always crazy year around.
Yeah, we were there in spring when we last went and the roads were a mess. We tried to avoid the typical rush hour times, which did help a little. I'm sure Disney will be better now than in summer, either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
And no, I would never recommend strolling around downtown. Although certain sections of downtown have been cleaned up a lot in the last few years. It's much safer than it used to be.
Lesson learned! It freaked my wife out...she's a country girl. It was bizarre to me that downtown was almost completely empty. You could have fired a bullet down the street. I think it was a Saturday - I hadn't realized that the city pretty much vacates after business hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
As for drumming:
Check out the Hollywood Guitar center with the Rock Walk. And right next door is the Sam Ash Drum department. Between the two, there is a ton of drum gear to drool over.

It is also worth hitting up The Professional Drum Shop (aka Pro drum) in Hollywood. It's not huge, it's a bit funky, but you can spend hours just looking at all the old photos tacked on the walls.

It's also worth looking to see who is playing at the Baked Potato when you are in town. Big name players are often doing side gigs at this tiny little club in North Hollywood.

And yes, many name players offer lessons when available. Even Gregg Bissonette has been advertising recently.
Excellent, thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 AM
KBadd's Avatar
KBadd KBadd is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Live....well!
Posts: 575
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

Get some great cool rock and roll clothing/jewelry at Hot Rock in Hollywood on HWood Blvd.
__________________
K

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBadd View Post
Get some great cool rock and roll clothing/jewelry at Hot Rock in Hollywood on HWood Blvd.
Googled it...looks rad!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:22 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,788
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Yeah, we were there in spring when we last went and the roads were a mess. We tried to avoid the typical rush hour times, which did help a little. I'm sure Disney will be better now than in summer, either way.
The middle of summer and right around Christmas are their busiest times. Last December, they had a few days where they actually said they were full and closed the doors.

But the freeways, it makes no difference what time of year. They're always a mess.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,438
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

Maybe you would've liked the Disney area better if you didn't spend $100+ per ticket to get in...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:47 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,788
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Maybe you would've liked the Disney area better if you didn't spend $100+ per ticket to get in...
Ticket prices are why I've not told my Mickey Mouse obsessed son that this places exists an hour south of here...

Although one day he's bound to figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,223
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

If you're gonna do Guitar Center, Hollywood (and the rock walk), then Toi http://www.toirockinthaifood.com/ on Sunset is the place to eat.
If you just wanna people watch (and maybe shop a little), Melrose, between La Brea and Fairfax. About 4 decades of people/dress types all mingle there ... in relative peaceful insanity. Hippy, goth, biker, hip-hop, punk, glam, gutter, it's all there.
Of course, there are museums, like the Huntington library, (home of Blue Boy by Thomas Gainsborough)
If you like beaches, we got 'em. Venice and Huntington are probably two of my favs.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: Going to the coast (SoCal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Maybe you would've liked the Disney area better if you didn't spend $100+ per ticket to get in...
I've never done Disney but I doubt I'd spend $100/head to get in! Phew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
If you're gonna do Guitar Center, Hollywood (and the rock walk), then Toi http://www.toirockinthaifood.com/ on Sunset is the place to eat.
If you just wanna people watch (and maybe shop a little), Melrose, between La Brea and Fairfax. About 4 decades of people/dress types all mingle there ... in relative peaceful insanity. Hippy, goth, biker, hip-hop, punk, glam, gutter, it's all there.
Of course, there are museums, like the Huntington library, (home of Blue Boy by Thomas Gainsborough)
If you like beaches, we got 'em. Venice and Huntington are probably two of my favs.
Cool, thanks hc! Toi looks cool! The weather looks questionable for beaches this week/weekend. We might postpone for a week, to see what the extended forecast is going to be like.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com