DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

So the unofficial word, to destroy the suspense, is that Mike Mangini is the new drummer for Dream Theater. From the rumor mill; but a pretty reliable source. I think a lot of people called it.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Yeah, he's been rumoured on and off since last October.

What I can't understand if Mike is the new drummer is why they keep stalling with the announcement.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Mike has also taken a leave of absence from his academic post and I know some of the others that were considered have new projects including Marco Minnemann with UK, and Mark Zonder who is also giving Skype lessons.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Were they only interested in drummers who's first initial is M?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
So the unofficial word, to destroy the suspense, is that Mike Mangini is the new drummer for Dream Theater. From the rumor mill; but a pretty reliable source. I think a lot of people called it.
Quote:
Mike has also taken a leave of absence from his academic post and I know some of the others that were considered have new projects including Marco Minnemann with UK, and Mark Zonder who is also giving Skype lessons.
Not to be mean Ken, but that's not really news. That has been posted numerous times around here. Until it's "official" it's just a rumor backed with some good evidence.

I gave a lengthly break down of who was still possibly in and out last time this topic came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Yeah, he's been rumoured on and off since last October.

What I can't understand if Mike is the new drummer is why they keep stalling with the announcement.
This is the 10 million dollar question. A few rumors that is it is NOT Mangini use this evidence to back up that he is NOT the guy, because there is no reason to not announce him. While if it's someone who is from another band, record company politics might preclude an official announcement.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

The leak comes from Eddie Trunk who travels tightly in those circles. I should have really just said that. At this point, a lot of people must know and are keeping their mouths shut. I know I few posters here who know; but may be legally or ethically bound to secrecy. Trunk has a book coming out and so he needs the publicity, all ethical bounding aside..
Old 03-30-2011, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The leak comes from Eddie Trunk who travels tightly in those circles. I should have really just said that. At this point, a lot of people must know and are keeping their mouths shut. I know I few posters here who know; but may be legally or ethically bound to secrecy. Trunk has a book coming out and so he needs the publicity, all ethical bounding aside..
Ah, I didn't realize Eddie was behind this new source. I just checked his twitter page.

Yeah, he should know, if anyone.

Still weird that it's remained unconfirmed for so long. Mangini was the obviously shoe-in from day one.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
mattsmith
This message has been deleted by mattsmith.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
Actually it's not only the first initial but all the letters of the first name ;).
Old 04-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Silver Member

Dammit! I was hoping for Pete Wildoer, or however you spell his name.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

I have another name being tossed around A LOT... Aquiles Priester
Old 04-03-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
I have another name being tossed around A LOT... Aquiles Priester
ya know...I read somewhere that ' Dream Theater '' will be using a Drum Machine !!!

sorry Mike :)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
ya know...I read somewhere that ' Dream Theater '' will be using a Drum Machine !!!

sorry Mike :)
You might need a couple of them. !!!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
lolol +10000

Well I was hoping Minnemann but Mangini's good too. He can't groove like Portnoy or Minnemann though.

I have a feeling their next album will be more heavy metal-ish and less progressive metal-ish, just a prediction though.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
I have a feeling their next album will be more heavy metal-ish and less progressive metal-ish, just a prediction though.
I completely agree.

I'm still hoping it'll be Thomas Lang. He'd be such a neat fit in there. :D

Also, I'm wondering why someone doesn't just go down to the studio they're recording in and just wait by the door until the new guy enters/leaves... chances are he's not wearing a bag over his head to conceal his/her identity.

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Yep it's definitely Mangini. Even Mike's usual press release /including all the speed drumming records that great pros supposedly don't care about/ has been part of the Trunk bean spill package.

Still Mike, it's time to stop claiming records you still don't hold like the traditional gri...

Oh nevermind.

Again...that doesn't matter...although it was the first thing mentioned in your press release about being the new DT drummer. You know what I'm talking about...the outrageously nonmusical speed drumming reco..........?????!!!!!!

Oh don't mind me. What do I know? :D
Good stuff, Matt. I had an inkling all along Mangini would take the gig. I felt it was his to take. He's a great match for the gig. Just curious if you were ever a big DT fan? When I was in middle school I use to love them and even saw them in St. Louis with Jordan Rudess on SFAM tour valentines day 2000. It was great but I moved on to music where I enjoyed the other aspects of the work instead of primarily the drummer shortly after (Folk, Jazz, Blues, etc.).
Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 PM

Mike Mangini was the one I was hoping for.

The other's that I though would've been cool to see was:

Vinnie Caliuta, Neil Pert, Chris Adler or Navene Koperweis
Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 AM

You think Chris Adler would have left lamb to go with DT? the styles are really in opposition, no?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumDemon View Post
Mike Mangini was the one I was hoping for.

The other's that I though would've been cool to see was:

Vinnie Caliuta, Neil Pert, Chris Adler or Navene Koperweis
vinnie is a session drummer .and does not tour like that. neal would never leave rush. and chris is not that tech drummer thay need . what thay need is a young diverse drummer some one like marco minneman .or dan carrie of tool some one who can play and change time signnatures fluently
Old 04-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald belle View Post
vinnie is a session drummer .and does not tour like that. neal would never leave rush. and chris is not that tech drummer thay need . what thay need is a young diverse drummer some one like marco minneman .or dan carrie of tool some one who can play and change time signnatures fluently
Why do people think that Danny Carey would even possibly consider Dream Theater?

I can't imagine anyone in Tool leaving Tool. They have a very cult status, more so than Dream Theater
Old 04-10-2011, 03:40 PM

Not that anyone cares what I think in the matter, I had compiled a mental list of drummers that could replace Mike. Not just in skill, but renown, style, creativity. I only saw about four drummers that could actually replace him and work. I had Mike Mangini, Neil Peart, Danny Carey, and Marco Minnemann, and if Mike is the guy I will be pleased with the choice. This is coming from a guy who is a GIANT Dream Theater fan. The problem I see right off, is how well he is going to keep the Dream Theater sound because of how original Portnoy was. But he is a more than capable guy and I hope it all works out. (Oh, and I didn't really expect Peart or Carey to leave their bands, I just thought they could actually be accepted.)
Old 04-10-2011, 05:18 PM

I hear they have been playing with a guy for quite some time now. They just havent announced who it is. Kinda silly, if you ask me.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald belle View Post
What do you think Vinny has been doing for the last two years?Touring with Jeff Beck.Vinny has toured with many other artists also,so saying he's just a session drummer is not really accurate,and Danny Carrie is not really that young anymore.

Steve B
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
What do you think Vinny has been doing for the last two years?Touring with Jeff Beck.Vinny has toured with many other artists also,so saying he's just a session drummer is not really accurate,and Danny Carrie is not really that young anymore.

Steve B
He's still a session player. He doesn't have a band where he's an official member. Guys like Jeff Beck are able to take him on tour, but he's still just a hired touring musician.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Rumor has it that the unofficial rumor about Mike Mangini playing with Dream Theater will be announced officially tomorrow. Again, this is only a rumor.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Dream Theater has announced on their facebook that tomorrow (April 21st) they will announce the process used to determine who the drummer is. But they made no claim they would actually announce WHO they chose.

Odd timing, given TODAY is Mike Portnoy's birthday. But I suppose at least they're being nice and waiting a day. LOL.

Did anyone see this article? It's Hilarious

http://www.drummagazine.com/wiretap/...ew-dt-drummer/

Quote:
Mike Mangini Still Not Revealed As New Dream Theater Drummer
By Andy Doerschuk
Published April 19, 2011

(Left) Is there any doubt?

In what has become one of the worst kept secrets since Clay Aiken came out of the closet, Dream Theater continues to withhold the name of their new drummer (Mike Mangini?), who was chosen to fill the empty drum throne left when Mike Portnoy departed the celebrated progressive metal band last year.

To ensure that the final release of the new drummerís name (Mike Mangini?) will be as anticlimactic as possible, Dream Theater has announced that this Thrusday, April 21, at 11:00 frigginí A.M. (Atlantic time? Pacific time?) they will still not reveal the new drummerís name ..
Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Dream Theater has announced on their facebook that tomorrow (April 21st) they will announce the process used to determine who the drummer is. But they made no claim they would actually announce WHO they chose.

Odd timing, given TODAY is Mike Portnoy's birthday. But I suppose at least they're being nice and waiting a day. LOL.

Did anyone see this article? It's Hilarious

http://www.drummagazine.com/wiretap/...ew-dt-drummer/
They are really milking this one... Regardless, I think Mike Mangini would be an interesting change of pace for the band.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 AM
mattsmith
This message has been deleted by mattsmith.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Still a rumor, but...

http://www.sickdrummermagazine.com/i...ide-story.html

Quote:
A source very close to the situation has told Sick Drummer Magazine the new drummer is Mike Mangini, and others who were asked/auditioned were: Derek Roddy, Marco Minnemann, Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, Aquiles Priester and Peter Wildoer.
Humm....Derek, any comments?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

MORE FROM SICKDRUMMER

"A source very close to the situation has told Sick Drummer Magazine the new drummer is Mike Mangini, and others who were asked/auditioned were: Derek Roddy, Marco Minnemann, Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, Aquiles Priester and Peter Wildoer."

What we do not like about this situation is the way the band went about the video footage detail. We feel the drummers were used in a sense, for their popularity. Each drummer was sent a camera to use and were asked to film as much as they could surrounding the audition. They were told it was to become "bonus footage" on a future DVD or something to that effect. The drummers were asked to film themselves preparing for the audition, practicing, traveling to the audition and anything else they felt relative. Then, upon arriving at the actual audition the drummers were asked to sign a release handing over all the video footage they had recorded, and if they didn't, they were not going to be able to audition.

We feel this is somewhat taking advantage of the drummers who auditioned and could have been handled a better way. Perhaps informing the drummers of the plan and sending a video release to be reviewed in advance. Not sticking them with a release at the audition and holding that over their heads as a requirement to audition, only to use the footage to steam up the facebook page around the announcement of the new drummer."

If I were a drummer with the name rec of these guys I would be infuriated by this low brow cattle call-beauty pageant. Frankly I'm shocked that guys with name rec equal these days to the band itself would allow it. This isn't the famous Metalica bass auditions. This is a Dregs knockoff that just so happened to become a little more popular. Now is that a bad thing? No, of course not. DT is a fine group in its genre. But they haven''t really sold in a very long time. Now see this is what I like about the jazz guys. Even when 40s swing was the music of the land, the audition process was never like this.

Anyway, congrats Mike. It's a tech band and nobody does tech with high musicianship like Mike.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Anyway, congrats Mike. It's a tech band and nobody does tech with high musicianship like Mike.
To my ear, Virgil clearly does.
Quote:
This isn't the famous Metalica bass auditions. This is a Dregs knockoff that just so happened to become a little more popular. Now is that a bad thing? No, of course not. DT is a fine group in its genre. But they haven''t really sold in a very long time. Now see this is what I like about the jazz guys. Even when 40s swing was the music of the land, the audition process was never like this.
I'd say that's business...! Which by the way isn't confirmed. Who says it's true? As long as I don't know otherwise,
I'll give John Petrucci & Co. the credit of handling the situation professionally, and with proper communication to
the seven auditioning drummers.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

What we do not like about this situation is the way the band went about the video footage detail. We feel the drummers were used in a sense, for their popularity. Each drummer was sent a camera to use and were asked to film as much as they could surrounding the audition. They were told it was to become "bonus footage" on a future DVD or something to that effect. The drummers were asked to film themselves preparing for the audition, practicing, traveling to the audition and anything else they felt relative. Then, upon arriving at the actual audition the drummers were asked to sign a release handing over all the video footage they had recorded, and if they didn't, they were not going to be able to audition.
We're going to make you an offer you can't refuse.

It would never hold up legally. Contracts signed under duress are not enforceable.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:

We feel this is somewhat taking advantage of the drummers who auditioned and could have been handled a better way. Perhaps informing the drummers of the plan and sending a video release to be reviewed in advance. Not sticking them with a release at the audition and holding that over their heads as a requirement to audition, only to use the footage to steam up the facebook page around the announcement of the new drummer."

If I were a drummer with the name rec of these guys I would be infuriated by this low brow cattle call-beauty pageant. Frankly I'm shocked that guys with name rec equal these days to the band itself would allow it. This isn't the famous Metalica bass auditions. This is a Dregs knockoff that just so happened to become a little more popular. Now is that a bad thing? No, of course not. DT is a fine group in its genre. But they haven''t really sold in a very long time. Now see this is what I like about the jazz guys. Even when 40s swing was the music of the land, the audition process was never like this.
I love how people talk like they know everything.........nothing in these statements is true.
It wasn't a cattle call, it wasn't sneaky, there were no words about if you didn't want to be taped....you weren't not auditioning........none of that.

Those guys were totally up front, professional, honest and cool about EVERYTHING.

D
Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
I love how people talk like they know everything.........nothing in these statements is true.
It wasn't a cattle call, it wasn't sneaky, there were no words about if you didn't want to be taped....you weren't not auditioning........none of that.

Those guys were totally up front, professional, honest and cool about EVERYTHING.

D
Derek, I couldn't get my quotation borders to come up. Most of that was the actual Sickdrummer article.

My part was the last paragraph where I stated if in possession of the name rec of you guys I would have not liked such a thing. I was merely reacting to the article, alongside the fact that the whole buildup could have been handled much better in deference to the kind of talent they asked to audition.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Derek, I couldn't get my quotation borders to come up. Most of that was the actual Sickdrummer article.

My part was the last paragraph where I stated if in possession of the name rec of you guys I would have not liked such a thing. I was merely reacting to the article, alongside the fact that the whole buildup could have been handled much better in deference to the kind of talent they asked to audition.
Yeah, sorry Matt......I didn't think you said that....I was just quoting the paragraph and it happened to be your post.

No worries.....just wanted to set the record straight as I was there.

D
Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

D
Derek. you're destroying all of our rumor and careless innuendo with cold hard facts. :)

Since we still don't really know, I'm hoping it is you. I think you would bring a lot of soul to the band.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, sorry Matt......I didn't think you said that....I was just quoting the paragraph and it happened to be your post.

No worries.....just wanted to set the record straight as I was there.

D
Cool man...I didn't think so but I wanted to be clear.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

This morning Dream Theater released a video discussing the drummer auditions, and confirmed the men mentioned in the article did audition.

But they still did not say whom they actually selected.

As a long time fan, this build up and attempt to make it dramatic is a bit ridiculous.

Derek, congrats on being one of the 7 to get an audition and thank you for posting. Even if you don't get the gig, it must be a cool to say you were one of only 7 to be considered.

The band may have been upfront and honest with you, but they're not being upfront and honest with their fans about this.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Derek, congrats on being one of the 7 to get an audition and thank you for posting. Even if you don't get the gig, it must be a cool to say you were one of only 7 to be considered.

The band may have been upfront and honest with you, but they're not being upfront and honest with their fans about this.
Yeah, was cool to be asked to do it. I've never been a big Dream Theater fan but, when a gig like that comes up....you have to least make the audition.

As far as the band being up front with their fans.......I'm sure they want too but, there are some legal issues that needs to be addressed and that takes precedence over what "can be said or announced".

I'm sure you guys can figure it out......and, I am certain that they knew who they wanted before these auditions were even thought about.

One thing that was said directly to me was....."whoever it will be.....it's got to be the fans choice...someone the fans are completely happy with".

D
Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

@DR
I think its speaks very highly of the level of your playing to be included in a group with technical monsters such as Virgil.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer View Post
@DR
I think its speaks very highly of the level of your playing to be included in a group with technical monsters such as Virgil.
Thank you sir.
Yes, it was a great honor that they asked me....I was surprised actually. My wife and I laughed about it for days! Haha.

When I can...I'll tell you all the details up to the audition....how I got the call, etc....

Was a lot of fun.

D
Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thank you sir.
Yes, it was a great honor that they asked me....I was surprised actually. My wife and I laughed about it for days! Haha.

When I can...I'll tell you all the details up to the audition....how I got the call, etc....

Was a lot of fun.

D

Cool...I'm sure alot of members would love hear the details.

Just curious - do you feel like you played to your best abilities aka you nailed it!

I'm never happy after an audition...like my last one even tho I just made the band.