DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 AM

Default Resurrecting a Ghost...

...pedal, that is.

I have owned a Ghost BD pedal for 35 years and I have always thought it had a great feel and action. I like the compression spring tension. But, it has some design flaws. It is a pain in the @$$ to set up and I have thought that for 35 years. You have to stand on your head to put in on the drum, the two little pins on the bottom are difficult to line up and the tightening wing nut is hard to get to.

I recently bought a DW double pedal and have been using it as a single as is much easier to hook up. However, it is bulky and the velcro tabs on the bottom get stuck in the carpet. Also, I'm not that fond of pull spring tension.

I have often thought that if the Ghost had a bottom plate to hold everything in place, it would make it easier to hook up. So, today I had time to play with it and I made one for it. I should have taken before pics but I didn't. All I can say is that I did this in a couple of hours and used very simple tools, a hand drill with two bits, screwdriver, file, marking pen, strait edge, small saw and a tape measure. The base is from a piece of spare peg board and the screws are some I had lying around.

Now all I have to do is take it to a gig and see how it holds up.

Name:  Ghost 001.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  Ghost 002.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  Ghost 003.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  Ghost 004.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  102.1 KB
Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Resurrecting a Ghost...

I've always had a soft-spot for both the Ghost and the Speed King (the Speed King was my very first pedal when I was learning how to play). I'm glad you came up with this modification, keep us posted on how well it works. I may end up "going home" pedal-wise ;)