DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho_Ho-Ho
Posts: 3,387
Default Songs you used to play...

...but don't any more. Anybody got any old favorites that they used to play, but just don't seem to fit these days?
I do. I was putting Led Zeppelin's "In Through the Out Door" on my IPod, and it jogged my memory. I was in a band back in the late 70's that played "Carouselambra" - went over great at the stoner parties we played back then. I just can't see doing it now. People seem to have shorter attention spans.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else waxed nostalgic from time to time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

I used to do Steely Dan's "Cousin Dupree", but stopped when the audiences were getting creeped out. They didn't seem to mind The Police's "Murder by Numbers". Go figure.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho_Ho-Ho
Posts: 3,387
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I used to do Steely Dan's "Cousin Dupree", but stopped when the audiences were getting creeped out. They didn't seem to mind The Police's "Murder by Numbers". Go figure.
Haha, used to play Cousin Dupree, too. Love the dark humor! But yeah, people don't get it. Funny that they don't mind "Murder By Numbers." Cool songs both, in my opinion!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 AM
seraphy seraphy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

I used to play Right Here Waiting by piano, but I'm now trying to learn to be a drummer~
__________________
I like Abercrombie tees~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Fishbones's Avatar
Fishbones Fishbones is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 881
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I used to do Steely Dan's "Cousin Dupree", but stopped when the audiences were getting creeped out..
That one's always weirded me out a little... I mean I understand the humor... but it's easy to interpret wrongly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Jim Mattingly Jim Mattingly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 186
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Very funny seeing this post tonight being that I just received 2 new CD's today. I am trying to restock my music collection with some of the older stuff I used play and had on vinyl. Probably one of the craziest songs we used play (and talk about dark) that really went over great back in the day was "The Torture Never Stops" off of the Zappa Zoot Allures album. Terry Bozzio really played great on this album and think some of his best stuff. The other CD I found was Adventures Of The Astral Pirates by Lenny White, once again I personally think it was some of his best stuff....
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Hercules's Avatar
Hercules Hercules is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 341
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Yes - Heart of the Sunrise ...... good song to play but I guess I played it too many times and lost the muse.....

I used to love playing the "Intergalactic Touring Band" album but can't find a copy anywhere nowadays for a reasonable price (I mean, $150 on Amazon, really........)
__________________
www.studi01-oz.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Jim Mattingly Jim Mattingly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 186
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Yes - Heart of the Sunrise ...... good song to play but I guess I played it too many times and lost the muse.....

I used to love playing the "Intergalactic Touring Band" album but can't find a copy anywhere nowadays for a reasonable price (I mean, $150 on Amazon, really........)
I actually posted a thread here looking for The Adventures Of The Astral Pirates and a member pointed me to Abstract Logix www.abstractlogix.com . This is where I also found the Zappa album I had trouble finding before. Give it a shot, they have a ton of good music they are promoting/selling, I was amazed and I am not done buying yet....Good luck and let me know how it works out for you...By the way $13.98 for Lenny White, and $15.98 for the Zappa CD (American)...$4.00 shipping....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho_Ho-Ho
Posts: 3,387
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mattingly View Post
Very funny seeing this post tonight being that I just received 2 new CD's today. I am trying to restock my music collection with some of the older stuff I used play and had on vinyl. Probably one of the craziest songs we used play (and talk about dark) that really went over great back in the day was "The Torture Never Stops" off of the Zappa Zoot Allures album. Terry Bozzio really played great on this album and think some of his best stuff. The other CD I found was Adventures Of The Astral Pirates by Lenny White, once again I personally think it was some of his best stuff....
I never played "The Torture Never Stops," but that would be a great one! Good find on those CDs, too.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Too many to remember. Not including all the originals, this will be a good test of my memory ...
Smoke on the Water (Purple)
Paranoid (Sabs)
Soul Stripper (ACDC)
Johnny B Goode
Jean Genie (Bowie)
Little Queenie (Stones)
Brown Sugar (Stones)
Tumbling Dice (Stones)
Honky Tonk Women (Stones - more cowbell!)
Bitch (Stones)
Anarchy in the UK (Pistols)
Bodies (Pistols)
Roadhouse Blues (Doors)
School's Out (Alice Cooper)
Whole Lotta Love (LZ)
Wild Thing (Troggs/Jimi)
Once Bitten Twice Shy (Ian Hunter)
Nutbuch City Limits (Ike & Tina)
Ain't Too Proud to Beg (Stones)
Sweet Virginia (Stones)
Down to the Doctor (Dr Feelgood)
Dust My Broom (Elmore James)
Mannish Boy (Muddy Waters)
Green Onions (Booker T)
Living Loving Maid (LZ)
Cold Turkey (Lennon)
Take It as It Comes (Doors)
Peace Frog (Doors)
Fire (Hendrix)
Love Me Two Times (Doors)
Birthday (Beatles)
Should I Stay Or Should I Go (Clash)
Couldn't Stand the Weather (SRV - love to play this again)
Little Sister (Elvis)
Boots
White Room (Cream)
Strange Brew (Cream)
I Can't Explain (Who)
Rock My Plimsoul (Jeff Beck)
Last Goodbye (Jeff Buckley)
Play that Funky Music (Wild Cherry)
Walk On By (Strangers version - current band's version is a mix of this and Dionne Warwick's)
Smash It Up (The Damned)
Superstition (Stevie)
Black Magic Woman (Santana)
Locomotive Breath (Tull)
You're So Vain (Carly Simon)
Fame (Bowie)
Golden Years (Bowie)
Suck My Kiss (Chilli Peppers - that was fun!)
Love Rears Its Ugly Head (Loving Color - even more fun!)
Cocaine (Clapton)
For the Love of Ivy - Gun Club
Burning Down the House (Talking Heads - those fills were fun)
Can't Get Enough (Bad Company - also fun)
You Really Got Me (Kinks)
All the Day and All of the Night (Kinks)
Stone Free (Hendrix)
California Dreaming (Mamas and the Papas)
Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins)
Hound Dog (Elvis)
Jumpin Jack Flash (Stones)
Reach Out (Four Tops)
You Keep Me Hanging On (Vanilla Fudge version - I enjoyed that!)
Bad to the Bone (George Thorogood)
Space Oddity (Bowie)
Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
Evil Ways (Santana)
Knock On Wood (Bowie Version)
Tainted Love (Soft Cell)
Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh)

Only a fraction - I've forgotten most of them. At this age you forget more than you remember. Most rock drummers my age would have played most of these staples - and many more - at some stage or another. I always preferred playing originals anyway.

One thing that struck me as I put the list together is how I never even liked most of them! That's the bummer about drumming - you have to play what the singers and tuned instruments want to play and get very little say.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Jim Mattingly Jim Mattingly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 186
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

How funny Pollyana, what a great list, and yes I am an older drummer and have played most off your list. And once again how funny and true your statement is, we never get much or very little say in the set lists. However, here is a very recent and great story. Two weeks ago we played a gig, decent venue, large crowd. Anyway, I have been trying to get the band to cover an older B-52's tune "Planet Claire". The keyboard player and myself finally laid down the law and said we were going to play it. Anyway, after a few weeks rehearsing it we finally got it onto the set list. We played this song and I think everyone in this club was on the floor going nuts. Great making certain people eat some crow every now and then...So now I am being asked what other songs I might want to cover...Ha ha, we are now working on 2 of "The Tragically Hip" songs I have been wanting to play for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Haha Jim, I'm probably being too harsh. Maybe I like about half 2/3rds of them :) But I only LOVE a minority. Yeah, give the drummer some! I can imagine Planet Claire getting the crowd going. Other musos sometimes forget that most punters love drummy songs.

I have a fair bit of say with repertoire in my current band, but only within the bounds of the chilled style of the band - which was decided by the others. If I had my way it would be 60s style psychedelic rock but it's been good learning to play without thumping like crazy.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
razorx's Avatar
razorx razorx is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ USA
Posts: 2,217
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Lots of kiss songs. I used to have them down pat and now I can't touch them because it's been so long. Some Zep tunes come to mind.
__________________
Youtube: youtube.com/simpleplandrummer
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM
inneedofgrace's Avatar
inneedofgrace inneedofgrace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey - Exit 5
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

We used to do lots of Talking Heads and Elvis Costello back in the late 80's, but that music seems to have been lost to most people. Although my band does play Take Me To the River, and I get to sing lead.
__________________
"Through many dangers, toils and snares..." - Amazing Grace, third verse
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
We used to do lots of Talking Heads and Elvis Costello back in the late 80's, but that music seems to have been lost to most people. Although my band does play Take Me To the River, and I get to sing lead.
Thanks, you reminded me that old bands of mine have played Pump It Up and Take Me to the River. Pump It Up is very a physically taxing tune to play!

Good on you. No sane band would ever let me sing lead anything - ever :)
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM
kissarmyfreak's Avatar
kissarmyfreak kissarmyfreak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 193
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Just to name a few

Peace sells -Megadeth

Youth gone wild -Skid Row

How will I laugh tomorrow -Suicidal Tendencies

Radar Love -White Lion (Version)

Mississippi Queen –Mountain

& of course WIPE OUT!
__________________
Crush, Saluda, LP, Remo & Vic Firth
What more can a man ask for?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 PM
inneedofgrace's Avatar
inneedofgrace inneedofgrace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey - Exit 5
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Thanks, you reminded me that old bands of mine have played Pump It Up and Take Me to the River. Pump It Up is very a physically taxing tune to play!

Good on you. No sane band would ever let me sing lead anything - ever :)
Haha - I never could figure out how our lead singer could remember all the lyrics to Pump It Up - the song went on forever. It's like We Didn't Start The Fire by Billy Joel or The End of The World by REM. I can't even remember all the lyrics to simple songs like Bad Moon Rising, so I need cheat sheets.
__________________
"Through many dangers, toils and snares..." - Amazing Grace, third verse
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:40 AM
paistemage's Avatar
paistemage paistemage is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest , usa
Posts: 383
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

" vengence is mine," morbid angel

"sworn," emperor

"primitive future" sepultura
__________________
"If I became parapalegic I would try to use my forehead to drum, or my tongue or nose." - Myself
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Joey182's Avatar
Joey182 Joey182 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 638
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Back when I first picked up a pair of sticks, I played the Travis Barker Rap-Rock "Remix's"
Such as:
Slaughterhouse- The One (Travis Barker Remix)
Drake- Forever (Travis Barker Remix)
Busta Rhymes- Don't Touch Me (Travis Barker Remix)
Eminem- 3AM (Travis Barker Remix)
ETC....................................
And all that other stuff. I listen to it now and I realize how naive I was.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/chrometrees
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho_Ho-Ho
Posts: 3,387
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Cool, I love hearing these lists! Keep 'em coming, especially the oddball stuff.

If we go all the way back to high school, my list of "used to play" songs is pretty long, just not very notable for the most part, lol. Besides "Carouselambra," the only other one I can think of that wasn't kind of a standard for bands to cover was "Dragon Attack" by Queen. That was actually the name of the band. And I've never heard another band cover that song.

Plus we could do an entire set of AC/DC!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Frost's Avatar
Frost Frost is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 933
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

I used to play Lamenting Kiss by Virgin Black, it is insanely good for timing practice.

I don't really play it anymore because it isn't the most exciting drum piece to play.

I also used to play Break on Through by The Doors and Paint It Black by The Stones. I stopped playing those because I moved onto focusing on original compositions.
__________________
A disquiet mind at therapy with the music.

Last edited by Frost; 04-17-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM
joeysnare's Avatar
joeysnare joeysnare is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: saskatchewan
Posts: 702
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Too many to remember. Not including all the originals, this will be a good test of my memory ...
Smoke on the Water (Purple)
Paranoid (Sabs)
Soul Stripper (ACDC)
Johnny B Goode
Jean Genie (Bowie)
Little Queenie (Stones)
Brown Sugar (Stones)
Tumbling Dice (Stones)
Honky Tonk Women (Stones - more cowbell!)
Bitch (Stones)
Anarchy in the UK (Pistols)
Bodies (Pistols)
Roadhouse Blues (Doors)
School's Out (Alice Cooper)
Whole Lotta Love (LZ)
Wild Thing (Troggs/Jimi)
Once Bitten Twice Shy (Ian Hunter)
Nutbuch City Limits (Ike & Tina)
Ain't Too Proud to Beg (Stones)
Sweet Virginia (Stones)
Down to the Doctor (Dr Feelgood)
Dust My Broom (Elmore James)
Mannish Boy (Muddy Waters)
Green Onions (Booker T)
Living Loving Maid (LZ)
Cold Turkey (Lennon)
Take It as It Comes (Doors)
Peace Frog (Doors)
Fire (Hendrix)
Love Me Two Times (Doors)
Birthday (Beatles)
Should I Stay Or Should I Go (Clash)
Couldn't Stand the Weather (SRV - love to play this again)
Little Sister (Elvis)
Boots
White Room (Cream)
Strange Brew (Cream)
I Can't Explain (Who)
Rock My Plimsoul (Jeff Beck)
Last Goodbye (Jeff Buckley)
Play that Funky Music (Wild Cherry)
Walk On By (Strangers version - current band's version is a mix of this and Dionne Warwick's)
Smash It Up (The Damned)
Superstition (Stevie)
Black Magic Woman (Santana)
Locomotive Breath (Tull)
You're So Vain (Carly Simon)
Fame (Bowie)
Golden Years (Bowie)
Suck My Kiss (Chilli Peppers - that was fun!)
Love Rears Its Ugly Head (Loving Color - even more fun!)
Cocaine (Clapton)
For the Love of Ivy - Gun Club
Burning Down the House (Talking Heads - those fills were fun)
Can't Get Enough (Bad Company - also fun)
You Really Got Me (Kinks)
All the Day and All of the Night (Kinks)
Stone Free (Hendrix)
California Dreaming (Mamas and the Papas)
Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins)
Hound Dog (Elvis)
Jumpin Jack Flash (Stones)
Reach Out (Four Tops)
You Keep Me Hanging On (Vanilla Fudge version - I enjoyed that!)
Bad to the Bone (George Thorogood)
Space Oddity (Bowie)
Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
Evil Ways (Santana)
Knock On Wood (Bowie Version)
Tainted Love (Soft Cell)
Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh)

Only a fraction - I've forgotten most of them. At this age you forget more than you remember. Most rock drummers my age would have played most of these staples - and many more - at some stage or another. I always preferred playing originals anyway.

One thing that struck me as I put the list together is how I never even liked most of them! That's the bummer about drumming - you have to play what the singers and tuned instruments want to play and get very little say.
holy hell!!! you've forgotten more songs then ive ever known polly lol.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysnare View Post
holy hell!!! you've forgotten more songs then ive ever known polly lol.
... and I usually played in originals bands ... it's one of the joys of being ancient, Joey! When you're an old fart you'll have a list like that too :)

I haven't included the songs in a restaurant band I did fill-ins for at a time when I was broke - stuff like When I'm Sixty-Four, Breezin' and Girl from Ipanema etc. Pretty dire but it paid almost as much for a Friday night as I got from study assistance - plus free soft drinks and a Malaysian meal at the end :)

I wish I could remember the other covers ... it's a bummer to have those blanks ... was Patty Smith's Because the Night in there? Did that one with a scratch band. One song I always wanted to cover but never did was Zep's What Is and What Should Never Be.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 PM
inneedofgrace's Avatar
inneedofgrace inneedofgrace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey - Exit 5
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

My band plays a version of One After 909. While I like playing it, nobody seems to know the song. The audience gets all excited when you say you're playing a Beatles song, and then are let down because it's not one of the 50 Beatle songs they know. :(

I'm going to try and get it replaced with Back In The USSR,
__________________
"Through many dangers, toils and snares..." - Amazing Grace, third verse
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 AM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

A Cousin Dupree Story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_Dupree
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-12-2011, 03:55 AM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
We used to do lots of Talking Heads and Elvis Costello back in the late 80's, but that music seems to have been lost to most people. Although my band does play Take Me To the River, and I get to sing lead.
I've got tickets to Elvis Costello concert in May. Can't Wait! I think with the 80's revival that seems to be happening in pop culture right now...he is being "discovered" by some new fans lately...probably not near enuf though.
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-12-2011, 04:47 AM
moontheloon's Avatar
moontheloon moontheloon is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 854
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Too many to remember. Not including all the originals, this will be a good test of my memory ...
Smoke on the Water (Purple)
Paranoid (Sabs)
Soul Stripper (ACDC)
Johnny B Goode
Jean Genie (Bowie)
Little Queenie (Stones)
Brown Sugar (Stones)
Tumbling Dice (Stones)
Honky Tonk Women (Stones - more cowbell!)
Bitch (Stones)
Anarchy in the UK (Pistols)
Bodies (Pistols)
Roadhouse Blues (Doors)
School's Out (Alice Cooper)
Whole Lotta Love (LZ)
Wild Thing (Troggs/Jimi)
Once Bitten Twice Shy (Ian Hunter)
Nutbuch City Limits (Ike & Tina)
Ain't Too Proud to Beg (Stones)
Sweet Virginia (Stones)
Down to the Doctor (Dr Feelgood)
Dust My Broom (Elmore James)
Mannish Boy (Muddy Waters)
Green Onions (Booker T)
Living Loving Maid (LZ)
Cold Turkey (Lennon)
Take It as It Comes (Doors)
Peace Frog (Doors)
Fire (Hendrix)
Love Me Two Times (Doors)
Birthday (Beatles)
Should I Stay Or Should I Go (Clash)
Couldn't Stand the Weather (SRV - love to play this again)
Little Sister (Elvis)
Boots
White Room (Cream)
Strange Brew (Cream)
I Can't Explain (Who)
Rock My Plimsoul (Jeff Beck)
Last Goodbye (Jeff Buckley)
Play that Funky Music (Wild Cherry)
Walk On By (Strangers version - current band's version is a mix of this and Dionne Warwick's)
Smash It Up (The Damned)
Superstition (Stevie)
Black Magic Woman (Santana)
Locomotive Breath (Tull)
You're So Vain (Carly Simon)
Fame (Bowie)
Golden Years (Bowie)
Suck My Kiss (Chilli Peppers - that was fun!)
Love Rears Its Ugly Head (Loving Color - even more fun!)
Cocaine (Clapton)
For the Love of Ivy - Gun Club
Burning Down the House (Talking Heads - those fills were fun)
Can't Get Enough (Bad Company - also fun)
You Really Got Me (Kinks)
All the Day and All of the Night (Kinks)
Stone Free (Hendrix)
California Dreaming (Mamas and the Papas)
Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins)
Hound Dog (Elvis)
Jumpin Jack Flash (Stones)
Reach Out (Four Tops)
You Keep Me Hanging On (Vanilla Fudge version - I enjoyed that!)
Bad to the Bone (George Thorogood)
Space Oddity (Bowie)
Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
Evil Ways (Santana)
Knock On Wood (Bowie Version)
Tainted Love (Soft Cell)
Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh)

Only a fraction - I've forgotten most of them. At this age you forget more than you remember. Most rock drummers my age would have played most of these staples - and many more - at some stage or another. I always preferred playing originals anyway.

One thing that struck me as I put the list together is how I never even liked most of them! That's the bummer about drumming - you have to play what the singers and tuned instruments want to play and get very little say.
Bodies is one of my favorite songs of all time....that record changed my life.....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Skwerly's Avatar
Skwerly Skwerly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Yucaipa, CA
Posts: 224
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

i will avoid any and all classic rock if i can haha. played that stuff for tooooooo long.
__________________
Technique trumps everything.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Saw a Bowie special last night. I reminded me that the 90s covers band I was in played China Girl.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Boom Boom Dah's Avatar
Boom Boom Dah Boom Boom Dah is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK
Posts: 48
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Too many to remember. Not including all the originals, this
Once Bitten Twice Shy (Ian Hunter).
Haha would you believe, that my friend is my Grandfather, Ian Hunter (Patterson). OBTS is one of my Favorite songs my Grandad has written, I have always loved his Ballard, The Golden Age Of Rock And Roll, and who can forget All the Way to Memphise. I believe he is touring the States this year, so look out for a town near you. He'll be touring the UK after like he does every year.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 AM
alextroke2099's Avatar
alextroke2099 alextroke2099 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In this unforgiving reality we call "life".
Posts: 45
Default Re: Songs you used to play...

I think I speak for every intermediate-pro level guitarist in the world when I say Smoke on the Water.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com