Roland HD-1 opinions

yammieoaks

I live in a tiny apartment (550 sq ft) and have very little room and also have hardwood floors with downstairs neighbours. I'm also 5'3" and have a 20/16/12 acoustic kit since smaller kits fit me better.

I need an e-kit that is as small and as quiet as possible (specifically the kick since I have people downstairs).

While I know the Roland 4KX2 would be ideal with its variety of sounds and mesh heads, or the Yamaha Xpress or Xplorer, these things are monsters and would take over my living room.

I just need something with a good acoustic kit sound and can allow me to practice so I can actually improve my drumming. I am in no way inspired to practice drumming by using a rubber practice pad and want the sounds of real (or close to) drums, and those rubber practice pad kits don't inspire me either (and yes, I realize that if I wanted to practice badly enough, anything would do but I'm anal).

So my question is, is the HD-1 going to give me a good, basic acoustic drum kit sound and feel or is this going to be a waste of money and I should take over my living room with a larger, more complex kit? This is just for practice, no recording, etc.

Any experienced users?

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a HD-1..I'd get an DTXplorer..it's portable (folds up easily) and sounds better than the HD-1...just my 2 cents....

I would really suggest trying the HD1 before buying. I dare say it's too compact for adults, even one who thinks they aren't very tall. You simply can't get enough separation between the pads; kinda sucks having the snare pad at almost the same height as the hihat (or having the snare so low you may as well just play your thigh). Plus there is no adjustability for where the pedals go.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but the DTXplorer can't really be that much larger...

HD-1s are just too limited - I had one for about 2 hours and took it back....

I'd suggest a good 2nd hand TD-6V instead - they pack up easily, are small and light and have a lot more features (some decent tweakable sounds and MIDI).

if being quiet is the key then a HD-1 is really your only option. any other kit with a kick drum pad would still boom round the building. any hit on the kick drum would be transferred to the floor.
I know - I had to move house because of it, either that or stop playing all together!!!

the HD-1 pedals are near silent so there is no trouble of noise until you fancy amping it up :)

I put a long post up about the HD-1 recently. I played on one when I was recording a band and I really wasn't impressed at all. Fixed pedals? No thanks.

I put a long post up about the HD-1 recently. I played on one when I was recording a band and I really wasn't impressed at all. Fixed pedals? No thanks.

I do agree, this is not the best kit around and the DTXplorer would be a much better purchase. However, if you have downstairs neighbours, the only option is the HD-1.

I bought a TD-8 with mesh kick pad and had downstairs neighbours. they were not best pleased and i had no option but to give up drumming or move house. needless to say; i chose the latter option!

I understand the problem with all other e-drum kits. It's a real problem.

That said, if the situation were that bad, I'd try and isolate the kit by building a dampened platform. I've seen it done on this forum before, but it was a long time ago.

Of all the Rolands the HD-1 stands apart. It feels cramped but the pedals have absolutely no feel. I watch Jonny Rabb play the HD-1 and I'm in awe. I'm a Roland guy and I've owned a TD6 and 12. Both were fab but the HD-1 is not a suitable tool for decent or half-decent player IMHO.

Davo

Back