DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Default Help with Power-amplifier!

Im gonna buy some new speakers for my bands PA-system.

and I got a question about what Power-amplifier i need to buy to the new speakers..

At the back of the speakers It says:

--------------------------
Specifications
Power Handling

RMS - 300 Watts
Music - 500 Watts
Peak - 750 Watts
Impedance - 8 ohms
--------------------------
Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help with Power-amplifier!

I always tend to buy bigger amps then my speakers can handle - I believe in running my system at 40% instead of 100% so I have power to spare and can cruise all night as opposed to working hard for the entire gig. But it looks to me a 1K amp would do fine - 500W per side at 8 ohms because it seems to me the label is saying the speaker is rated for 500W when you're playing music through it, and the occasional peak of 750W if you have to bump it a bit for a short time. So if you're feeding it 500W, the speaker should be able to handle that.

Of course, what I would do is if I were shopping at a store, bring the speakers with you and plug them in to different amps, because amps don't always sound the same. Try to use your console too, because the speaker has to interact with the way your console handles signals to begin with, and all the amp is suppose to do is make those signals louder, being at the end of the power chain.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM

Ok.

so I have been looking at Crown Amplifiers and so you recommend that I pick the: CROWN XLS 5000, for my speakers?

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm

thanks for all answers!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBrother View Post
Ok.

so I have been looking at Crown Amplifiers and so you recommend that I pick the: CROWN XLS 5000, for my speakers?

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm

thanks for all answers!
Not that one. That's rated at 1.1K per speaker. The XLS802 is good at 500W per speaker.
However, if you really want cool Crown power amp that's also very light in comparison to other Crown amps, look at their CTS series. New technology. Very cool!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 PM

The XLS Drivecore series is even lighter and it has a built-in limiter to protect the speakers. The one you need for these speakers is the XLS2500. 11 pounds and the thing is only like 6 inches deep so it fits in a shallower rack.

I've rolled around amp racks that weighed hundreds of pounds and were a four man lift. I wish they had these 20 years ago, my back would feel much better!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 AM

CROWN XLS 2500

CROWN XLS 2500, digital Class D amplifier, 2x 775 Watt/4 Ohm, 2x 440 Watt/8 OHm, 2x 1200 Watt/2 Ohm

But I can still use it for my 500watts/8ohms speakers?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 AM

Yeah, as long as you plug one 8ohm speaker into each channel of the amp and don't bridge it. Each channel can do 475W, which is right at the 500W rating. It's interesting that there are 3 ratings for this speaker. Most speakers I've seen are rated with 2 ratings, RMS (average) and peak wattage. At 8ohms resistance and 300W RMS, a 500-600W amp (per speaker) is usually just right. If it can handle more peak load (750W), then it's OK to run it with a hotter amp (one rated up to that peak of about 750W), you just have that much more headroom to turn it up before you start blowing speakers.

I've run bands with as little as a pair of JBL JRX115's (similar to these, rated 300W RMS) with a 500W/channel amp as the mains and it was enough power to run the whole band at an smaller outdoor gig (it's not a loud metal band, though!).