DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Default click/drum machine?

I'm watching Weckl's "The Next Step" right now, and he advises that when using a click, the more subdivisions in the click pattern the better, because you'll have that much more to get in sync with. The machine he's using doesn't have audio tones, it has drum sounds, like rim shots and shakers and stuff. Also, he plays to looped pattens of music, like bass lines that repeat; does someone know the piece he used in that video, or something comparable that would do the same thing? (I'm not much of a gear head, sorry if this question seems stupid)
Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: click/drum machine?

Not a stupid question.

Back in '88-ish, it was standard for Yamaha's drum machines to have melodic sounds built-in. In fact, if you plugged a MIDI keyboard into it, you can access those sounds and be able to build melodic patterns. Roland began offering this feature on their drum machines when they introduced the R8 (Yamaha with the RX5), so you could literally build a drum pattern like a 12-bar blues with a bass line. Take away the drum parts and it's this semi-sequencer for you to play along with. Back then it was hip. As time went on, and memory got cheaper and cheaper, it became simpler to just turn on the ol' sequencer and record MIDI parts, almost negating the need for a stand-alone drum machine.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Thank you for the profound and thoughtful answer. Is there a simple sequencer that you (or someone) would recommend? I'm not a professional musician at all, just a bedroom warrior looking to start playing with a click which offers a wide palette of sounds.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
Thank you for the profound and thoughtful answer. Is there a simple sequencer that you (or someone) would recommend? I'm not a professional musician at all, just a bedroom warrior looking to start playing with a click which offers a wide palette of sounds.
You could try eBay and finding the old Yamaha RX5, or an older Roland R8. The only thing you'd need to worry about these older machines is maybe replacing the battery that enables the machine to remember all of it's settings. I bought the RX5 when it was new and paid a whopping $1395 for it back in 1988-89. I've seen them on eBay for $175 (sigh). Roland R8's cost a little more, are a bit younger (and better, I think), and those can range between $200 and $400, especially if you find the coveted MkII model. Definitely get one with the owner's manual, you're gonna have to figure it all out.

But wait! If you have access to a MacBook, you could just find one of those loaded up with GarageBand. It has instruments loaded into in, and you can do multitrack recording with it. That might even be easier, especially if you can find a Windows machine that has a similar program. I just know the Mac with GarageBand is super-easy! Good luck!