DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default The circle of life of a band member...very funny

My boyfriend, a bass player in many a basement bands himself found this article today. I thought some of you lifelong musicians might get a kick out of this.

I'm wondering what this says about me who is just starting the whole process at 43....guess I'm a late bloomer and have a lot to look forward to in my later years...lol.

Not meant to offend anyone...just a little fun. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/03/03...entific-proof/
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,189
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

That was.....

About the most truthful, accurate summation of the situation in the majority of cases.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,377
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

I like the "we're all cool with our blue jeans and cowboy hats" photo. It's either that or the railroad tracks view.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,102
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Hahahaha! So true! But what of those people that are neither? There's an even sadder classification!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,582
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Dang! That's hurtful, but true in most cases. I know a few 40-50-somethings that fit that bill perfectly. But, I also know PLENTY that are making it happen as a profession, and not just being "that guy still in a band". When you're 50 and pulling in 6 figures as a musician, have a family, a nice house, and a stable retirement coming, I'd say you're way above the curve...
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 PM
diegobxr's Avatar
diegobxr diegobxr is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Posts: 838
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
When you're 50 and pulling in 6 figures as a musician, have a family, a nice house, and a stable retirement coming, I'd say you're way above the curve...
Yeah, but that is quite the exception, isn't it?..

I didn't laugh a lot with the article, actually I found it quite depressing, as it unfortunately is very true. I know a lot of guys who are pushing 40's and working on the record store making pennies an hour and still thinking they're yet to be "discovered".

It's very sad.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,102
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Dang! That's hurtful, but true in most cases. I know a few 40-50-somethings that fit that bill perfectly. But, I also know PLENTY that are making it happen as a profession, and not just being "that guy still in a band". When you're 50 and pulling in 6 figures as a musician, have a family, a nice house, and a stable retirement coming, I'd say you're way above the curve...
......is that you, Caddy?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Crazy8s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

The 'Regular Guy' in that article usually experiences an epiphany at around age 40 and then scrambles to find out where his life went.

Atleast the 'Band Guy' chased a dream that involved creating music for the rest of the world to enjoy.

If making music for others to enjoy makes one a loser, then I am left without a clue as to what a winner is. If it is the lack of money that makes them losers, then the winners would be the most wealthy people on the planet, right? The most wealthy persons in the world got their money from the blood of the people.

I am a loser.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,102
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
The 'Regular Guy' in that article usually experiences an epiphany at around age 40 and then scrambles to find out where his life went.

Atleast the 'Band Guy' chased a dream that involved creating music for the rest of the world to enjoy.

If making music for others to enjoy makes one a loser, then I am left without a clue as to what a winner is. If it is the lack of money that makes them losers, then the winners would be the most wealthy people on the planet, right? The most wealthy persons in the world got their money from the blood of the people.

I am a loser.
Is that why I'm shopping around for a fire-engine red corvette? ;)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 PM
MikeM's Avatar
MikeM MikeM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,676
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Awesome! I always thought Al Bundy was one of the coolest guys ever! Glad to be lumped in with the likes of him! (I'm 43 too and am in two bands at the moment...)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
The 'Regular Guy' in that article usually experiences an epiphany at around age 40 and then scrambles to find out where his life went.
I'm there....at 33.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
Atleast the 'Band Guy' chased a dream that involved creating music for the rest of the world to enjoy.
No one can call you a loser for that!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,582
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
......is that you, Caddy?
No, I'm the 31-year-old working my way towards that, though. It's good to set goals, and to know people who have gone before you and made it happen for themselves!

It's a good thing the article is called, "The Circle of Life of a Band Member", because if it was "The Circle of Life of a Professional Musician", I'd have issue with it...
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,102
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
No, I'm the 31-year-old working my way towards that, though. It's good to set goals, and to know people who have gone before you and made it happen for themselves!

It's a good thing the article is called, "The Circle of Life of a Band Member", because if it was "The Circle of Life of a Professional Musician", I'd have issue with it...
Well, professional musicians have to play in bands in order to be professional musicians, so this article can be for those guys too.....sorry....sorry....sorry.... ;)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

I really hope none of you think I was trying to make anyone feel like a loser. This really was posted with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. No offense meant, really. I personally think anyone brave enuf to actually try and follow their dreams, no matter what the outcome, is more of a winner than someone who is "successful" in something they would rather not be doing. :)

Again, this is why I'm very bravely (or blindly) starting my journey at 43...lol.
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,582
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
I really hope none of you think I was trying to make anyone feel like a loser. This really was posted with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. No offense meant, really. I personally think anyone brave enuf to actually try and follow their dreams, no matter what the outcome, is more of a winner than someone who is "successful" in something they would rather not be doing. :)
No bad feelings here. I thought the article was funny 'cause it is mostly true. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Again, this is why I'm very bravely (or blindly) starting my journey at 43...lol.
And I wish you the best of luck! There are several professional musicians on this site, so it can be a great resource for you, if you choose to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well, professional musicians have to play in bands in order to be professional musicians, so this article can be for those guys too.....sorry....sorry....sorry.... ;)
I'll get you, JETSOOOOOOOOON!!!!! (BTW, I liked yer previous avatar a little better...)
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-17-2011, 10:23 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,745
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Part of me laughed, because, yeah, I know plenty of people who fit either category.

Go down to Hollywood, and there are a ton of guys who are still thinking any day now they're going to get signed to that million dollar record deal, even though they're 45.

But still, a larger part of me was offended, because I find most musicians are somewhere in the middle of those two extremes and the article just seemed to want to promote stereotypes.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-18-2011, 03:46 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,102
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

[quote=caddywumpus;815548
I'll get you, JETSOOOOOOOOON!!!!! (BTW, I liked yer previous avatar a little better...)[/QUOTE]

OK. Changed the avatar just for you. She does look a little more like a human being in this shot anyway. Well, a human with big cleavage, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 AM
Morbid Koala's Avatar
Morbid Koala Morbid Koala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 124
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
The 'Regular Guy' in that article usually experiences an epiphany at around age 40 and then scrambles to find out where his life went.
Guess what? No matter what the hell you're doing at 40, you're wondering where your life went.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 AM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid Koala View Post
Guess what? No matter what the hell you're doing at 40, you're wondering where your life went.

Damn, ain't that the truth!
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 AM
southpark's Avatar
southpark southpark is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
Default Re: The circle of life of a band member...very funny

Hey everyone, new here. Saw the title of this thread and it struck my fancy.. the article is indeed very funny :D I know a couple of people that financially and practically fit the bill, though, and it is very sad. But they are not delusional about it ;)

The one thing I am terrified of is having kids. Not having them, per se, since I want to in a few years, but being able to raise them with a decent life in terms of financial security, and being able to send them to college or university. Otherwise, I don't have the yearning for big money, just basic comfort. If I could pull that off and still have my music... I'd be ecstatic. I still have no college degree, and work odd jobs here and there... so I can see my future being as bleak as the article describes; obviously, the prospect of making a living out of music or any of the arts is miniscule to say the least. Hello, accounting! Or something else as fortunately stable and unfortunately miserable.
__________________
"If atheism is a religion, then health is a disease."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com