DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-17-2011, 04:36 AM

Default DRUM MICS

Hey guys,

I've been wondering what drum mics do to the sound of the drums when recorded. I know sounds like a noob question but i havent recored yet or anything and my drum book doesnt specify on mics. So info appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 AM
audiotech

Default Re: DRUM MICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathead View Post
Hey guys,

I've been wondering what drum mics do to the sound of the drums when recorded. I know sounds like a noob question but i havent recored yet or anything and my drum book doesnt specify on mics. So info appreciated!

Thanks!
In a perfect world they wouldn't do anything except accurately capture the exact frequencies or sounds of the drums without varying from what is known as a flat linear frequency response. In the world we live in there are so many variables in the types of microphones and the multitude of ways to position them on a drum kit that much gets reflected in personal preference. Depending on the microphones used and where they are placed, the drum kit could sound nice and fat, thin and distant or large and boomy. To a smaller degree the acoustical environment will also have an impact on the tonality of the recording or sound reinforcement of the drum kit.

The drum kit has to be properly maintained and tuned also. Because junk into a microphone is junk out of the microphone.

Dennis
Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: DRUM MICS

A microphone caputres sound within a specified frequency band (found in that microphone's documentation) and distrubute the sound within that freq band to a speaker or onto a recording.

Every microphone model is different in these specifications, that is why we have mics that are 'standard' bass drum mics (Shure Beta52, AKG D112, Sennheiser 602, Audix D6), Tom Mics (Shure Beta 82, Sennheiser 421), and some Snare Mics (Shure SM57, Audix i5).

Those mics have frequencies bands that best capture the frequencies of those drums.

Similarly, someone might use a Shure SM57 on a 12" tom, but a Shure Beta 52 on a 16" Floor Tom because of the frequency band of the drum and mic match up better.

Can also get into how SPLs move a diaphragm, but I think about is more useful.