DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

Default Stick Selection

I decided to get some new sticks, because I just can't seem to find one that works for everything, so I decided on 3, each covering some different genres. I know I could get away with 2 but I think it's cool having a different stick for each genre.

Rock/Metal/Punk/Gospel
Regal Tip E Series 5A Wide Sticks
(Nylon tips but sound like wood, I'm surprised the other companies don't do this.)

Funk/Latin/R&B/Other
Vic Firth Stanton Moore Signature Sticks

Jazz/Fusion/Soft Rock
Pro Mark Carl Allen Signature Sticks

I'll probably be ordering them soon. Anyone used or played these particular ones before?

Last edited by daredrummer; 03-16-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Stick Selection

Nope, never tried any of those. I use ProMark Benny Grebs or 5Bs for louder work and Vic Firth American Jazz AJ1s for lighter stuff (the only "light" stick I've found with a fat enough grip to suit me). Plus hot rods, brushes, mallets, hands...

Really, it's like underwear and shoes. Get what feels comfy and looks good on you. Actually, come to think of it, they don't even need to look good...
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Nope, never tried any of those. I use ProMark Benny Grebs or 5Bs for louder work and Vic Firth American Jazz AJ1s for lighter stuff (the only "light" stick I've found with a fat enough grip to suit me). Plus hot rods, brushes, mallets, hands...

Really, it's like underwear and shoes. Get what feels comfy and looks good on you. Actually, come to think of it, they don't even need to look good...
Yeah the AJ1's are nice but I like really long tips for jazz, and unfortunately Vic Firth or Pro Mark don't offer to many of those.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Gold Member

Edit: Changed my ming on the jazz stick and chose the Pro Mark Carl Allen Signatures, They're a little too heavy for what I'm looking for, but they have a better tip and taper than the Vater 52nd. St. Jazz Sticks, so I chose those instead.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 AM

I use Regal 5B Maple wood tip for 85% of my playing. I like the length, the weight (lighter than the Hilckory) and the hardness. They make a good ping on the cymbals and the tips last a long time. My $0.02.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickosdrummer View Post
I use Regal 5B Maple wood tip for 85% of my playing. I like the length, the weight (lighter than the Hilckory) and the hardness. They make a good ping on the cymbals and the tips last a long time. My $0.02.
The reason I chose the E series was because of my annoyamce with chipping. Tried my friends pair and they sound very very close to wood, so I'll think i'll be going with those. Only downside is you don't get that full fat tone on the drums as much, but I think it's worth it.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
The reason I chose the E series was because of my annoyamce with chipping. Tried my friends pair and they sound very very close to wood, so I'll think i'll be going with those. Only downside is you don't get that full fat tone on the drums as much, but I think it's worth it.
What is the E series tip made of? I haven't seen those in my travels. I don't really mind the chipping of the tips, because I've usually shredded the shank by the time it's too bad, but it might e nice to have an alternative.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
What is the E series tip made of? I haven't seen those in my travels. I don't really mind the chipping of the tips, because I've usually shredded the shank by the time it's too bad, but it might e nice to have an alternative.
http://www.regaltip.com/products/drum-sticks/e-series

It may look like a scam, and that it's just eye candy to make you think they sound they wood, but really sound like nylon. But it's not. They really do sound almost like wood. Obviously they're not totally natural, but they're a lot closer than nylon.
They've got 4 standard sizes, all available in narrow taper or wide taper.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

I see. The tips are grooved so less surface area whacks the cymbal at once. Cool idea.