DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM
daredrummer's Avatar
daredrummer daredrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,375
Default Stick Selection

I decided to get some new sticks, because I just can't seem to find one that works for everything, so I decided on 3, each covering some different genres. I know I could get away with 2 but I think it's cool having a different stick for each genre.

Rock/Metal/Punk/Gospel
Regal Tip E Series 5A Wide Sticks
(Nylon tips but sound like wood, I'm surprised the other companies don't do this.)

Funk/Latin/R&B/Other
Vic Firth Stanton Moore Signature Sticks

Jazz/Fusion/Soft Rock
Pro Mark Carl Allen Signature Sticks

I'll probably be ordering them soon. Anyone used or played these particular ones before?
__________________
"Nowadays you could find a plumber, put him in a studio and make him sound good." ~John Robinson

Last edited by daredrummer; 03-16-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,307
Default Re: Stick Selection

Nope, never tried any of those. I use ProMark Benny Grebs or 5Bs for louder work and Vic Firth American Jazz AJ1s for lighter stuff (the only "light" stick I've found with a fat enough grip to suit me). Plus hot rods, brushes, mallets, hands...

Really, it's like underwear and shoes. Get what feels comfy and looks good on you. Actually, come to think of it, they don't even need to look good...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 AM
daredrummer's Avatar
daredrummer daredrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Stick Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Nope, never tried any of those. I use ProMark Benny Grebs or 5Bs for louder work and Vic Firth American Jazz AJ1s for lighter stuff (the only "light" stick I've found with a fat enough grip to suit me). Plus hot rods, brushes, mallets, hands...

Really, it's like underwear and shoes. Get what feels comfy and looks good on you. Actually, come to think of it, they don't even need to look good...
Yeah the AJ1's are nice but I like really long tips for jazz, and unfortunately Vic Firth or Pro Mark don't offer to many of those.
__________________
"Nowadays you could find a plumber, put him in a studio and make him sound good." ~John Robinson
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 AM
daredrummer's Avatar
daredrummer daredrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Stick Selection

Edit: Changed my ming on the jazz stick and chose the Pro Mark Carl Allen Signatures, They're a little too heavy for what I'm looking for, but they have a better tip and taper than the Vater 52nd. St. Jazz Sticks, so I chose those instead.
__________________
"Nowadays you could find a plumber, put him in a studio and make him sound good." ~John Robinson
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 AM
Zickosdrummer's Avatar
Zickosdrummer Zickosdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 363
Default Re: Stick Selection

I use Regal 5B Maple wood tip for 85% of my playing. I like the length, the weight (lighter than the Hilckory) and the hardness. They make a good ping on the cymbals and the tips last a long time. My $0.02.
__________________
Drumming is the cheapest psychiatry.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 AM
daredrummer's Avatar
daredrummer daredrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Stick Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickosdrummer View Post
I use Regal 5B Maple wood tip for 85% of my playing. I like the length, the weight (lighter than the Hilckory) and the hardness. They make a good ping on the cymbals and the tips last a long time. My $0.02.
The reason I chose the E series was because of my annoyamce with chipping. Tried my friends pair and they sound very very close to wood, so I'll think i'll be going with those. Only downside is you don't get that full fat tone on the drums as much, but I think it's worth it.
__________________
"Nowadays you could find a plumber, put him in a studio and make him sound good." ~John Robinson
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,307
Default Re: Stick Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
The reason I chose the E series was because of my annoyamce with chipping. Tried my friends pair and they sound very very close to wood, so I'll think i'll be going with those. Only downside is you don't get that full fat tone on the drums as much, but I think it's worth it.
What is the E series tip made of? I haven't seen those in my travels. I don't really mind the chipping of the tips, because I've usually shredded the shank by the time it's too bad, but it might e nice to have an alternative.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-2011, 03:22 AM
daredrummer's Avatar
daredrummer daredrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Stick Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
What is the E series tip made of? I haven't seen those in my travels. I don't really mind the chipping of the tips, because I've usually shredded the shank by the time it's too bad, but it might e nice to have an alternative.
http://www.regaltip.com/products/drum-sticks/e-series

It may look like a scam, and that it's just eye candy to make you think they sound they wood, but really sound like nylon. But it's not. They really do sound almost like wood. Obviously they're not totally natural, but they're a lot closer than nylon.
They've got 4 standard sizes, all available in narrow taper or wide taper.
__________________
"Nowadays you could find a plumber, put him in a studio and make him sound good." ~John Robinson
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-2011, 05:18 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,307
Default Re: Stick Selection

I see. The tips are grooved so less surface area whacks the cymbal at once. Cool idea.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com