DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 AM

Default I need new skins, Fourskins to be exact.

So awhile back I traded for a mid seventies model Ludwig kit. I love it sound wise, until this kit I have pretty much played newer model midrange kits and I can really notice the difference as my style has been influenced less by punk/hard rock and more by Buddy Rich and old school Jazz(This is my favorite thing about music, you never stop learning and progressing as long as you keep an open ear and practice). The one drawback is that it came with less than par heads and only on the top. I know alot of people play the older ludwigs with top heads only to really give it a booming sound which I think could stand out well with good skins. But I also am interested in purchasing heads for the bottom if the sound is more up my current band situation. Which can go from clean gypsy riffs to heavy blues with many stops on the way. My crash is a Bosphorus Antique 16 and my ride is an Istanbul Agop Sultan 22 ride if this also should be taken into consideration.

So the question is to whether to leave the bottoms off or not and what skins I should look into.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 AM

Default Re: I need new skins, Fourskins to be exact.

I have '75 Ludwig Vistalite set. I'm sure yours are wood shell (I'm assuming). I have played mine with the bottom heads on and off.
Everyone has an opinion.
Mine is to put bottom heads on it. They will resonate and give added tone. The heads and rings also add strength to the shell, helping keep it round. As far as heads, this is a matter of personal preference. I'm still looking for that perfect sound. I started with Remo silver dots (1975). Finally replaced all the heads last year (2010!) with Evans hydraulics. Disappointed with that sound I tried 1 tom with an Evans EC2, which is a single ply with edge control. I like this a lot! The bottom resonant heads are Evans single ply in black (I forget the name). They weren't cheep, but tune easy with the top heads, plus they look kinda cool.
I was at the local Guitar Center today and played some of the kits they have on display. I love the bass drum sound so much better then mine (Hydraulic). They had the Evans with the EMAD set up. Great dampening and "thump"!
I'm wondering if I should have wood drums instead of the Vistalites.
You would benefit going to your local music store and playing around with the different combination's.
Not much help was I ?!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:33 AM

I have '75 Ludwig Vistalite set. I'm sure yours are wood shell (I'm assuming). I have played mine with the bottom heads on and off.
Everyone has an opinion.
Mine is to put bottom heads on it. They will resonate and give added tone. The heads and rings also add strength to the shell, helping keep it round. As far as heads, this is a matter of personal preference. I'm still looking for that perfect sound. I started with Remo silver dots (1975). Finally replaced all the heads last year (2010!) with Evans hydraulics. Disappointed with that sound I tried 1 tom with an Evans EC2, which is a single ply with edge control. I like this a lot! The bottom resonant heads are Evans single ply in black (I forget the name). They weren't cheep, but tune easy with the top heads, plus they look kinda cool.
I was at the local Guitar Center today and played some of the kits they have on display. I love the bass drum sound so much better then mine (Hydraulic). They had the Evans with the EMAD set up. Great dampening and "thump"!
I'm wondering if I should have wood drums instead of the Vistalites.
You would benefit going to your local music store and playing around with the different combination's.
Not much help was I ?!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 AM

I was contemplating Vistalites when I was making up my mind as to which set to go for. Unfortunatly South Dakota winters and Vistalites would be murder. Plus a lot more cash on my end. But I hold a special place in my heart for them....Even the best drummers get hungry sometimes! Also where I live is a little out of the way and I do most of my shopping online after extensive research(youtube videos etc) and people's opinions/experience who tend to be smarter than me.