DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-23-2009, 03:17 AM

Default Best Drum Rack for 2 Bass Drums?

Hi everyone sorry for all the annoying questions, but this one is pretty important.

I've been looking into the Gibraltar Double Bass Rack, but would, let's say, a 3-sided Pearl Icon work? From your personal experiences, what is the ideal drum rack for 2 bass drums, 2 snare drums, 3 rack toms, 2 floor toms, 1 main hi hat, and 5 cymbals?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Best Drum Rack for 2 Bass Drums?

I just got my first rack a couple months ago, it's a pearl icon curved 3 sided rack. I don't know about the other racks. I have 2 bass drums, and I find the shape of the rack is a bit awkward. There are add on pieces you can buy for the rack, I believe it is a short piece of rack and another leg you can buy for like half the price of the whole rack itself that make it more symmetrical to a double bass kit, I think they are asking too much for the 2 pieces it takes. I just use the rack the way it came and it works pretty good, just looks wierd because the curved bars are really long and offset from the kit a bit so the rack looks like it is hanging way off to the left side if you are looking at the rack from the front.

I love the rack though, I recommend it, I'm just tired of paying 150$ for every little thing on this kit just to make it "look" better.

If I could do it again, I would get the straight bar icon rack, it is smaller. The curved bars are just too damn long in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabmasterarson View Post
I just got my first rack a couple months ago, it's a pearl icon curved 3 sided rack. I don't know about the other racks. I have 2 bass drums, and I find the shape of the rack is a bit awkward. There are add on pieces you can buy for the rack, I believe it is a short piece of rack and another leg you can buy for like half the price of the whole rack itself that make it more symmetrical to a double bass kit, I think they are asking too much for the 2 pieces it takes. I just use the rack the way it came and it works pretty good, just looks wierd because the curved bars are really long and offset from the kit a bit so the rack looks like it is hanging way off to the left side if you are looking at the rack from the front.

I love the rack though, I recommend it, I'm just tired of paying 150$ for every little thing on this kit just to make it "look" better.

If I could do it again, I would get the straight bar icon rack, it is smaller. The curved bars are just too damn long in my opinion.

I totally agree on all points. I use a double decker 4-sided ICON, 8 horizontal bars total,4 curved, 4 straight. I used to set it up with the curved bars in the front but it was way too wide for my set-up even though i have five rack toms and a rack mounted floor tom.

Go figure. I have since redone it so that the straight bars are in the front and the curved ones are on the sides and I love it that way

A 3 sided icon would do the job, but would not be symetrical. You can get a side bar extension with vertical post t-leg for $99. So that would be a grand total of $460 for a 4 sided ICON vs $390 for a 2 sided Gibraltar. Now, because you don't have tons of stuff to hang on the rack, If you're going to use a stand for your ride, all you really need is the gibraltar BUT if you're going to go crazy like i did and continually add-on, I'd go with the 4 sided icon rack. Another thing that's cool about the gibraltar double bass rack is that it uses those stackable right angle clamps that make for one continuous level all the way around, unlike my icon which has one bar higher than the other

What would be cool though is if Pearl made a damn curve bar even longer: long enough to span over two bass drums, then there would be no question what the best solution would be...

Last edited by diosdude; 01-24-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Hi everyone sorry for all the annoying questions, but this one is pretty important.

I've been looking into the Gibraltar Double Bass Rack, but would, let's say, a 3-sided Pearl Icon work? From your personal experiences, what is the ideal drum rack for 2 bass drums, 2 snare drums, 3 rack toms, 2 floor toms, 1 main hi hat, and 5 cymbals?
Gibralter/Tama racks give you far more options, and you can make it as big or small as you want. And best of all, Gibralter and Tama rack parts are all compatible and interchangeable with each other, as well as several off brand manufactures.

Pearl racks have fewer options, but the square bars have a few advantages (won't slip), and if it fits your design needs, then all the extra options aren't that special.

One thing to keep in mind is moving the rack.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Silver Member

Diosdude !

That is one nice setup - it must be a lot of fun to bash around on that.

The square rack is nice - won't slip. Although I've had no trouble with mine slipping I have heard of it happening with the round tubes.

I have the Gibraltar dbl rack (with single bass) ............and lots of parts - clamps etc. I like the heavy duty construction of the Gibraltar, but your system looks good too. Very nice.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
What would be cool though is if Pearl made a damn curve bar even longer: long enough to span over two bass drums, then there would be no question what the best solution would be...
Not a bad idea at all, but how would you support all the weight of your toms without a leg in the center of the kit, between two kicks?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy+Hands View Post
Not a bad idea at all, but how would you support all the weight of your toms without a leg in the center of the kit, between two kicks?
Not really an issue, those racks can support a couple hundred pounds or more, easily. My buddy used to have a huge double bass gibraltar 2 tier cage from the early 90's that used a 72" straight bar to span over the 2 bass drums and he had 4 rack toms on the lower bar with i think 3 or 3 cymbal booms. I think the Jeff Porcaro rack from Pearl was a monster like that, too.

Yeah, here's a pic of one:
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2009, 12:41 AM

Thats awesome, definitely would help to get the kicks spaced close together. I decided to ditch the small pearl double bass rack connector piece thing because of that. A 3 sided rack with a long bar over the kicks would be ideal for my type of set up, i dont know why pearl hasn't looked into producing one yet.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy+Hands View Post
Thats awesome, definitely would help to get the kicks spaced close together. I decided to ditch the small pearl double bass rack connector piece thing because of that. A 3 sided rack with a long bar over the kicks would be ideal for my type of set up, i dont know why pearl hasn't looked into producing one yet.

Because they know we have no choice but to get that t-leg between 2 short bars if we want a double bass square rack. More money for them. Of course, we could just buy one of those old jeff porcaro racks on ebay but i think they take a special accesory clamp. Surprise surprise.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:08 PM

is this considered a rack?:P
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattParker View Post
like something out of a Slipknot show.
It is actually, except it's on stage and not in a parking lot.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
I totally agree on all points. I use a double decker 4-sided ICON, 8 horizontal bars total,4 curved, 4 straight. I used to set it up with the curved bars in the front but it was way too wide for my set-up even though i have five rack toms and a rack mounted floor tom.

Go figure. I have since redone it so that the straight bars are in the front and the curved ones are on the sides and I love it that way

A 3 sided icon would do the job, but would not be symetrical. You can get a side bar extension with vertical post t-leg for $99. So that would be a grand total of $460 for a 4 sided ICON vs $390 for a 2 sided Gibraltar. Now, because you don't have tons of stuff to hang on the rack, If you're going to use a stand for your ride, all you really need is the gibraltar BUT if you're going to go crazy like i did and continually add-on, I'd go with the 4 sided icon rack. Another thing that's cool about the gibraltar double bass rack is that it uses those stackable right angle clamps that make for one continuous level all the way around, unlike my icon which has one bar higher than the other

I couldn't imagine transporting this kit, lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I couldn't imagine transporting this kit, lol.

I don't take it on gigs unless i have a confirmed 1000+ attendance, then i line up a roadie crew. For regular gigs at a club, i take my much smaller gig kit which only has a single kick:

Old 03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Hellwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattParker View Post
no, it's a riser.

It's only a rack when the drums are attached to it.