DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

Default Internal Mic ideas

Been playing with a Beta 52 mounted in my Kick for the last few years. I am going to venture into internal micing for my toms next, but I'm not sure what to use. I already own two Audix D2's for Toms and a D4 for my Floor, but what to put in what?

I have been speaking with Rany May at the MAY Mic company (he is the one doing my kit) and he suggested sticking D4's in the rack toms and a D6 or Beta 52 in the Floors.

So should I ditch my D2's and get another 52 or D6 for my Floor? and if so, should I get a 52 or a D6 for a 16" tom?

Or should I use the D2 in my rack tom and a D4 in my Floor?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Internal Mic ideas

That's kind of a tough choice. The sound man at a large venue in Spokane uses D4's for all toms, and he certainly gets a BIG sound. I feel the sound loses some nuance if you are going for a realistic sound, but for a solid, modern sound the D4s work well. My personal preference is for the D2 on racks, for more high end detail. I have actually used a D6 on a floor tom, and it sounds very deep and powerful, but again, slightly one dimensional for my taste. Certainly sounded GOOD, just not what I wanted, if that makes sense.

Since you already own the D2s and D4, I'd stick with those.

One thing you might try if you have access to recording equipment is to record a bit with your D4 on a rack tom and the B52 on a floor tom. That might give you an idea.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Internal Mic ideas

Whatever you go with, take some time and experiment with placement. My May's sound best when pointed at the bottom heads and you will not loose any attack...