DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 AM

Default Tom heads for Sonor 3007?

Hi,

I've owned a sonor 3007 for about 18 months now, and the heads are just over a year old. I've been playing coated evans g2 batter heads on the toms, power centre reverse dot on the snare (a black panther snare, not the 3007) and e-mad on the bass.

I love the bass and snare sounds but the tom sound just isn't what I'm looking for, the heads are around a year old so I'm looking to replace them and was just wondering if any sonor 3007 owners had any suggestions as to what batter heads they liked using on the toms?

I play mainly pop, funk and light rock -with some heavy rock occasionally.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 AM
audiotech

Default Re: Tom heads for Sonor 3007?

I'm just wondering, have you changed your resonant heads yet or are they still the stock heads?

Dennis
Old 02-22-2011, 01:08 AM

No the reso heads are still stocks
Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

When I got my 3007's, I immediately put Remo Vintage Emperors on both the top and bottom. They sounded great. Sometimes you have to change all the heads to get a good sound, ya' know.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Administrator

I don't own Sonors but have a Gretsch set that I have found the only likable set up is Evans g2 coated on the top and G1 clears on the bottom. I have tried SST's, Pinstripes, and Fibreskins and keep coming back to the G2's.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 AM

When I tech'd for Benny Greb on his stop here during his 2nd round in Canada he used a Force 3007. On the tops of the toms he used Coated Emperors, on the resonant side he used Coated Ambassadors. He tunes a bit higher than one would think due to his awesome warm, deep tones. He just doesn't go jazz high. An in between if you will. That kit sounded just as good as his vintage Beech SQ2 kit with the same head combo. It can work for rock, funk or some jazz.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Ok, thanks for the feedback...I think I'll probably give Remo heads a try this time round and probably with coated Emperors on top and I'm not sure about the resonant heads. I will change those heads too, so either to ambassadors or emperors. Would either work well?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace :) View Post
Ok, thanks for the feedback...I think I'll probably give Remo heads a try this time round and probably with coated Emperors on top and I'm not sure about the resonant heads. I will change those heads too, so either to ambassadors or emperors. Would either work well?
Well, I didn't also say that I switch back and forth alot. Emperors to me are equivalent to Evans G2s and I like those as well. Ambassadors would be like G1s. I do like how the coating on the Evans seems to last alot longer. One thing I like though is having the same weight head on both sides of the drum. So, for instance, if I have Vintage Emperors on top, I also put those on the bottom, and my tuning lends itself to both sides being tuned to around the same pitch so the drum just sings.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM

maybe your not a "coated" type person, have you tried Evans clear G2's? I have them on my first kit with Clear G1's on the reso, I think they are comparable to remo pinstripes. Definitely change the reso heads too!

If you like the coated sound but want something different try the Evans Black Onyx heads. I just bought them last week and love the sound. Similar to the coated g2's but a tad darker and less sustain, they also seem to minimize the overtones. I've heard they are quite durable too.

Here's a pic of the heads on my kit, not that it would help you decide without hearing them :)
onyx heads
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

I have tried Pinstripes, EC2 and a few others on my Sonor, all very good heads, I kept the EC2 resonate heads and put Emperor's as the batter; absoloutly wondferful. Changing the reso's is a very good idea and the Remo seem perfect for that series of kit. My final proof was when I heard the sound of the 10' tom which I could never get to sound right; I now leave the 12" at home sometimes instead of the other way, the 10" works fantastic with the 16" floor and that was never possible before so I reccomend them for you kit, I am confident that you will not be dissappointed.

Last edited by Bruce M. Thomson; 02-24-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 PM

Ok thanks very much

I guess I'll just have to experiment a bit until I find a sound I like. I think I might five Remo emperors a try next but I'll definitely change the reso heads too and hopefully that will help out
Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 PM

I am a sonor force3007 player and I use coated emperors on batter and I still have the stock heads for resonants for my toms. I like my drums sounding nice and fat (even though I have a 10", 12" and 14" configuration) so I tune the batter heads low and the resonants medium to high and it works really well for me. Coated G2s or coated Emperors definetly recommended but now that G2s are cheaper and are the same thing, I would go with them.

Only legends can play Sonor's :-)