DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 AM

Default Drum Micing

I've been looking in musican friends at the little package deal with SHURE. they have in the pack 3 Shure 57s and a beta 52 bass drum mic. Im wondering if i should just buy 2 of these packages for my whole kit, because of mu 6 toms and my two kicks, or look into something totally different than Shure's products.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Micing

The Beta 52 is a great bass drum mic, and the 57 is a great snare mic. They sound fine on toms, too, but they are awfully bulky. I prefer a shorter, smaller mic for live use - I use the Sennheiser e-series with the built in drum clip.

Also, you probably won't need two B52s, but I believe the 57s are available in a 3-pack as well, if you choose to go with Shure. Edit: scratch that, I guess you would need both bass drum mics!

Last edited by IDDrummer; 01-17-2011 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Forgot about two kicks...
Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
The Beta 52 is a great bass drum mic, and the 57 is a great snare mic. They sound fine on toms, too, but they are awfully bulky. I prefer a shorter, smaller mic for live use - I use the Sennheiser e-series with the built in drum clip.

Also, you probably won't need two B52s, but I believe the 57s are available in a 3-pack as well, if you choose to go with Shure. Edit: scratch that, I guess you would need both bass drum mics!
Concur, go with the Sennheiser e604s for you toms! SM57s will be a lot of bulk, plus once you figure out how to mount them, you'd be wishing you had the e604s.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM

I have the Shure Mic kit that you are talking about, they do a great job, but like the last post alluded to, I find the mounts that come with them nearly impossible to configure right. You basically have to screw the mics clips into the brackets, and where the spinning stops...might not be in line with where you want the mic to alight with your tom. Hard to explain, but its a pain and I'm still trying to get it right.

Not to hijack the thread, but are there any other tom mic clips that will accomodate SM57s?

I like the mic kit, and if you have the money I endorse the quality. I do not endorse the mounts though. The other benefit (if you consider this a benefit) is that the mics are versatile, so you can mic guitar cabs, vocals, brass instruments, etc with them. This of course results in your band members stealing your mics at practice!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

[quote=Pacific Blue;803010]
Not to hijack the thread, but are there any other tom mic clips that will accomodate SM57s?

[quote]

Check out those Audix clips...I know Guitar Center carries them...probably every other major store does as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=simmsdn;803072][quote=Pacific Blue;803010]

Quote:

Check out those Audix clips...I know Guitar Center carries them...probably every other major store does as well.
Shure makes their own tom clips, part number A56D, great heavy-weight clips. I got them for $25 each.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by militia814 View Post
I've been looking in musican friends at the little package deal with SHURE. they have in the pack 3 Shure 57s and a beta 52 bass drum mic. Im wondering if i should just buy 2 of these packages for my whole kit, because of mu 6 toms and my two kicks, or look into something totally different than Shure's products.
I use this Audix kit http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ack?sku=277114

I've had the Shure kit you refer to and they are good mics but this set of Audix mics are lower profile, great sounding plus the D-Vice mounts are really easy to use. I pieced my set together off of ebay for a fraction of the "brand new" price.