DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-04-2010, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

Default Recording 8 channels

Im planning to start recording, and I'm not really sure what I need. Will be using a 6 piece kit (8, "10", 12", 14", 22", 14". So my guess is mic for each of them, along with two overheads. As for mics I'll probably start off with something half decent, but I'm not sure what I need to get this audio into my computer! I don't know what to search, hah, I hardly even know what I'm looking for!

Id be really happy to get some links, something with 8 channel input and maybe USB output? And I guess I want these 8 channels separately recorded. How this all work? Help me out!

And I'm sorry if this has been discussed, I searched "recording" but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for... Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Recording 8 channels

Two ways to go: record into your computer with the proper hardware and software, or find a standalone recorder.

If you go the computer route, you'll need an 8-in audio interface (USB or FIrewire). YOu have a choice as there are a few to choose from. Tascam has one that uses USB 2.0, and PreSonus makes the Firepod (or Firestudio) that uses Firewire. GarageBand on the Mac can handle 8 incoming signals at once.

Another route is the standalone, and I've had good results with the Zoom R16. It's a 16-track recorder that can record 8-tracks at a time. It records everything to an SD card. All of my latest videos I have up on YouTube were done with this machine, and I like the results, for a budget of under $500! There are other recorders, but the Zoom is the only one that truly does 8 XLR inputs at a time. Tascam has one, but it only has 4 XLRs, the other 4 are 1/4" in.

How's that?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjogras View Post
Im planning to start recording, and I'm not really sure what I need. Will be using a 6 piece kit (8, "10", 12", 14", 22", 14". So my guess is mic for each of them, along with two overheads. As for mics I'll probably start off with something half decent, but I'm not sure what I need to get this audio into my computer! I don't know what to search, hah, I hardly even know what I'm looking for!

Id be really happy to get some links, something with 8 channel input and maybe USB output? And I guess I want these 8 channels separately recorded. How this all work? Help me out!

And I'm sorry if this has been discussed, I searched "recording" but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for... Thanks
Make sure that whatever you get sends all 8 channels to the computer, USB outputs usually combine the channels into a 2 channel input to the computer, Firewire devices send all 8 channels separately. Some newer USB devices will send all 8 channels raw.

For recording/mixing, a good starting point is Reaper. It's free to start out with, a commercial license is cheap, and a non-commercial license is dirt cheap. It comes with a lot of good effects.

Shure, AKG, Audix, and Heil all make excellent mics designed for drums. For studio micing, make sure if you invest in decent kick and snare drum mics, and a decent large-diaphragm condenser as an overhead/room mic. I've used everything from an $99 AT2020 to various $100-$500 condenser mics for overheads and they work great. A quality overhead mic (or a pair if you want stereo separation) is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. This mic picks up the cymbals and the overall sound of your kit as a unified instrument instead of a collection of individual parts.

Tom mics. You may not need individual mics on all your toms, the rack toms you can get by with a single (quality) mic between the 8/10 and another between the 12/14, it depends on the sound you are going for. The more mics, the more bleed and phasing issues, so your mileage may vary. For some drummers and/or style of music, the kick/snare/overhead make up 99% of the final drum mix, with the tom mics in there just for flavor and stereo positioning.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGunnerSGT View Post
For recording/mixing, a good starting point is Reaper. It's free to start out with, a commercial license is cheap, and a non-commercial license is dirt cheap. It comes with a lot of good effects.
I second this. I'm using a profire 2626 with reaper, which is perfectly adequate. the pre-amps are decent, and it's an easy setup to use.
Whatever you do, get some decent monitors.

As for recommending anything, it's kind of impossible, as you didn't give any indication of budget. I realize you used the wording "half decent", but I have no idea what that means in monetary value.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 PM

+1 everyone else's recommendations.

I'll throw my $.02 behind firewire over USB for the same thing BradGunnerSGT pointed out. Also, I've used both...had occasional problems with USB.........virtually none with firewire.

Your interface is the one piece of gear in this whole equation that will dictate how well things do or don't work for you (assuming your computer is decent). Do your homework and ask lots of questions.

You're on the right track thought. My setup is mics --> Presonus firestudio/digimax fs --> PC (via dedicated FW card) --> Cubase. This setup works great for me. Very simple, flexible, problem-free, sounds great.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Two ways to go: record into your computer with the proper hardware and software, or find a standalone recorder.

If you go the computer route, you'll need an 8-in audio interface (USB or FIrewire). YOu have a choice as there are a few to choose from. Tascam has one that uses USB 2.0, and PreSonus makes the Firepod (or Firestudio) that uses Firewire. GarageBand on the Mac can handle 8 incoming signals at once.

Another route is the standalone, and I've had good results with the Zoom R16. It's a 16-track recorder that can record 8-tracks at a time. It records everything to an SD card. All of my latest videos I have up on YouTube were done with this machine, and I like the results, for a budget of under $500! There are other recorders, but the Zoom is the only one that truly does 8 XLR inputs at a time. Tascam has one, but it only has 4 XLRs, the other 4 are 1/4" in.

How's that?
Zoom R16 seems perfect. And it's cheap too!

Ive seen some 7 piece mic kits for ~200 euros, are they ok? Im not going into anything serious here, I want to record for evaluation of my playing and maybe record some covers, basically just to have fun and play around.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Zoom R16 seems perfect. And it's cheap too!

Ive seen some 7 piece mic kits for ~200 euros, are they ok? Im not going into anything serious here, I want to record for evaluation of my playing and maybe record some covers, basically just to have fun and play around.
Just for fun stuff, that should get you started. May I suggest getting a short 10-foot 8-channel XLR-to-XLR snake though. Then you can have the R16 plugged into the snake, and you plug you mics into the snake. Makes for a much cleaner set-up!

I just own a number of Shure SM57 and 58 mics and a couple of good condensers - a pretty general mic collection so I can use them for alot of different things. But those mic packs you can get just for drums aren't bad - obviously the more you spend the better they get, but just to get you started into recording audio signals, those are great for that. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all your help Bo!

I will definately get an 8-channel snake, how about SSSNAKE SXX8030? Rather cheap in comparison to some others I've found. Should I be worried about loosing audio quality with cheap ones?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for all your help Bo!

I will definately get an 8-channel snake, how about SSSNAKE SXX8030? Rather cheap in comparison to some others I've found. Should I be worried about loosing audio quality with cheap ones?

Thanks
Anytime you go cheap with cabling there's always that chance. But I bought one of those cheap 8-channel snakes on eBay and it hasn't failed yet. Then again, it's not getting abused by traveling around, it just stays in my rehearsal room. I say try it and keep your fingers crossed. When it fails, just get another one, or fix it. It's more likely a connection inside one of the XLR's will break rather than the actual cable being bad. Just be ready with your soldering iron....
Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 AM
audiotech

I've seen a lot of snake or stage cables become useless over time because of intermittent or open cable failures within the bundle. It's really better to buy the best you can afford or if you're good with a soldering iron and heat gun just make your own. I made my latest fifty foot 12 channel microphone snake cable a few months ago for less than a hundred dollars using the more rugged 22 gauge wire instead of the 24 that most snake cables are made from.

You can see part of it on the floor behind the drum throne at the bottom of the electric heat.

Dennis.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 AM

Sorry to bring this back up, but I'm in the same boat.

I've already decided on microphones but I need to decide on a preamp. There is substantially less knowledge floating around from what I can tell.

I've used both the Steinberg MR816CSX Firewire Interface and the Presonus Firepod. As far as sound goes, I'm confident that the Steinberg sounds better (also almost twice the price). But, they both had a broken channel on them. Are there any options with LOTS of channels that won't break?

-sheldon
Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreg View Post

I've already decided on microphones but I need to decide on a preamp. There is substantially less knowledge floating around from what I can tell.

I've used both the Steinberg MR816CSX Firewire Interface and the Presonus Firepod. As far as sound goes, I'm confident that the Steinberg sounds better (also almost twice the price). But, they both had a broken channel on them. Are there any options with LOTS of channels that won't break?

-sheldon
I've had great results with the Tascam US-1641.

Fox.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreg View Post

-sheldon
Well, none of them should break if they're treated properly! The FirePod is massively reliable as is the new model. I'd imagine the Steinberg is fine too. To be honest, if the channels are broken it might be a software fault (unlikely in mature devices like those) or they've been mishandled along the way.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Here's what I use, whether right, wrong, or indifferent. It works.

TASCAM US-1641: 8x Mic pre-amps plus 6x line-inputs (I can add 6x more pre-amps for a total of 14x mic inputs)

NADY PRA-8: 8x channel mic pre-amp (runs into those 6x line inputs on the TASCAM)

Behringer 4-channel headphone amp (I need some kick to hear the track over the drums)

Furman power conditioner: electricity to the above.

M-Audio Studiophile AV30 studio monitors: I learned the hard way that you should mix using monitors and not headphones. Trust me on this.

Microphones: I have a menagerie that's I'm in the process of completing an upgrade
-Sennheiser e604 on toms
-Shure SM57 on snares (did anyone expect different?)
-Sennheiser e602 on bass (I prefer it to the Shure Beta52 and AKG D112, plus it's $100 cheaper)
-Shure PG81 condenser (I REALLY like this mic)
-MXL 990s (I use these are room mics and they sound really good for this purpose, I've also used them for some handheld percussion and sound good for that as well)
-MXL 991s (currently used as overheads, will buy some more PG81s or some SM81s to replace in the future; they're not bad considering they were $25 brand new)
-Studio Projects B1 v2 - great large dia condenser - GREAT for vocals, great on percussion as well.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

Oh yeah, I also use Cakewalk's Sonar Producer 8 to record. I have it installed on an HP dv7 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit, but did a 32-bit install of Sonar because it works better for me as a 32-bit application).