DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Mike Portnoy

He is actually going to be live on the drum channel tonight at 8.00pm (pst)

Here's the link if anyone is interested in checking it out. I'm stoked.

http://www.drumchannel.com/entertain...zio-98694.aspx
Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Mike's son is a drummer too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kG0Oz4ECA
Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 AM

In my opinion, Mike is actually overrated. Dont get me wrong he is obviously a really good drummer but i just prefer guys like Buddy, Carter, Gadd, Neil, Mitchell, Royster, Palmer, etc.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:22 PM

I got to shake Mike's hand at one of the shows he played with HAIL! earlier this year. It was a very small club show, only like 75 people were there, despite Mike being there.

The show was great, they covered a bunch of songs by classic metal bands (Maiden, Sabbath, Metallica). People kept shouting for Dream Theater, but MP just laughed and shook his head
Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 AM

The only guy that could possible be a fit for fillin in The Revs shoes. Nobody else, not evven me =P

I love Mike Portnoys stuff. Or else Id neveerrrrr care to listen to Dream Theatre lol.
reverbnation.com/vitosus
Old 10-06-2010, 01:02 AM

Yeah, because on the list of drummers, it's people like Bonham, Moon, Peart, Portnoy and then The Rev. He's definitely up there...
Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBeaufordGaddNeil View Post
In my opinion, Mike is actually overrated. Dont get me wrong he is obviously a really good drummer but i just prefer guys like Buddy, Carter, Gadd, Neil, Mitchell, Royster, Palmer, etc.
Every famous drummer you know is overrated to somebody.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Mike Pourtnoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins View Post
Personally I think he's a basher playing complex music. His actual physical technique is pretty shocking, and to my ears he uses that whole 2xhands/2xfeet/4xhands/2xfeet stuff far too often. I also think the size of his kit is ludicrous for the musical results he gets, he could play the same kind of stuff on a kit a third of the size and still have plenty of room to move.

For that kind of stuff I'd vastly prefer to listen to Thomas Haake with Meshuggah (start with "Destroy Erase Improve") or something like Fredrik Thordendal's "Sol Niger Within" featuring Morgen Agren on drums.

But that's just me. I just reckon Portnoy kind of fits the profile his history would suggest - somebody who went to Berklee but never went to class.

EDIT: Ouch, that was a bit harsh. I'll be nicer. I do think Portnoy gets some impressive results, and his control over time is very good. He's quite a natural when it comes to playing stuff in odd groupings. His tone is also surprisingly good considering the fact that his hand technique looks like Dave Grohl's. But then, there's plenty of drummers who look hideous when they play but sound great - like Gary Husband. So yeah. I don't like his technique, the music isn't to my taste and I don't think he's quite as good as all the hype would suggest. But he's certainly a very solid player with some flashy chops.
I agree. Portnoy is one damn good drummer, He deffinatly has chops and knows how to use them, He understands music, the only problem for me is he does stick around the same stuff every song.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Ok first of all, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm not really sure where I should go.

A few years ago I won a contest for a Mike Portnoy replica drumset. Its the Tama Starclassic black ice mirage acrylic set. Came with about 13 new sabian cymbals, mike's drum heads (played) and a set of new ones. 2 custom snare drums, bass drum, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18" toms, all hardware, iron cobra double bass pedal, throne etc.

This set really is incredible, but I just dont have the time or the space to play this set anymore so I was thinking about selling. Does anyone know where I might go about trying to sell this?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Ok first of all, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm not really sure where I should go.

A few years ago I won a contest for a Mike Portnoy replica drumset. Its the Tama Starclassic black ice mirage acrylic set. Came with about 13 new sabian cymbals, mike's drum heads (played) and a set of new ones. 2 custom snare drums, bass drum, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18" toms, all hardware, iron cobra double bass pedal, throne etc.

This set really is incredible, but I just dont have the time or the space to play this set anymore so I was thinking about selling. Does anyone know where I might go about trying to sell this?
I think it'd be better if you had more details on cymbal specs and such too, and probably pictures in order to get more people interested.... include the tom depths and everything too, etc.

Are you selling ALL of it, just the kit, willing to sell things separately, etc. All of those things are questions I'd ask a seller before even considering buying something.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks Chaos! I was actually able to find the original ad for the contest that lists the kits specs so here goes:

The Grand Prize is a complete replica of the drumset used by Mike on disc 2 of the Hudson Music “In Constant Motion DVD, including: Tama “Mirage Black Ice” 20 ̋x22 ̋ bass drum, 7 ̋x8 ̋, 8 ̋x10 ̋ and 9 ̋x12 ̋ rack toms, 12 ̋x14 ̋ and 14 ̋x16 ̋ floor toms, 5 ̋x12 ̋ Steel and 5.5 ̋x14 ̋ Maple “Melody Master” Limited Edition MP Signature snare drums, Iron Cobra double bass drum pedal and hi-hat, RoadPro snare and cymbal and tom stands; Sabian 7 ̋ Radia cup chime, 7 ̋, 9 ̋ and 11 ̋ MP Signature Max Spashes, Low and Mid MP Signature Max Stax, 14 ̋ HHX Groove hi-hats, 16 ̋ HHX Extreme crash, 18 ̋ HHX chinese, 17 ̋ AA medium crash, 19 ̋ HH thin crash, 20 ̋ HH chinese and 22 ̋ HH Rock ride; Remo Pinstripe batter and Ambassador clear resonant heads on toms and bass drum, Coated CS and Ambassador snare heads on snare drums; Pro-Mark #TX420N MP Autograph drumsticks. The total retail value of this kit is over $15,000.

I plan on setting the entire kit up on a white background and taking some professional photos (since I'm a photographer)

The only thing that will decrease value though is that UPS dropped the bass drum and the acrylic is split on the bottom all the way to the wood ring that holds the head on it. I called Tama and they sent me a brand new kick drum (hardware and all) which is awesome but still not part of the original set. The set does come with it though.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 PM

I'm a bit of a MP obsessive tbh... He is my most influential drummer, I don't even play prog but i just love his playing. His ability (and DT's altogether) to make some of their ridiculous time sigs flow together and sound smooth is what amazes me. Dance of Eternity is a favourite, even if it is a bit of a show-off song.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:32 PM

Location: Nebraska, the most boring place you could ever live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlapjack View Post
I'm a bit of a MP obsessive tbh... He is my most influential drummer, I don't even play prog but i just love his playing. His ability (and DT's altogether) to make some of their ridiculous time sigs flow together and sound smooth is what amazes me. Dance of Eternity is a favourite, even if it is a bit of a show-off song.
I really couldn't have said it any better myself. Portnoy is my most influential drummer as well. He's such a great player, and like you said, so is everyone from Dream Theater. I love progressive music. I listen to all sorts of bands like Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Yes, Rush, and of course other Portnoy projects like Transatlantic and OSI. But at the end of the day (like Mike used to say), Dream Theater is my baby. Number one.

Anyway, I thought you might be excited to hear that I got a chance to see him and Yellow Matter Custard over this past weekend. We drove for ten hours to get there and waited outside for hours, but it was worth it. I was lucky enough to get front row, and at the end of the show he gave me one of the drumsticks he had used. I couldn't believe it!! I still can't believe it. He's Mike Portnoy! And definately one of the greatest musicians around today.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 AM

So what is everyone's favourite DT album and why?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
So what is everyone's favourite DT album and why?
Well, that's a loaded question.

The top 4 to me are:
Images and Words - Because it was the 1st album I heard
Awake - because it was darker and heavier, and the live tour was awesome.
Train of Thought - because it was getting back to the Awake vibe of dark and heavy
Octavarium - because it was getting back to the I&W through Change of Seasons era in terms of mixing up short melodic songs with longer pieces.

Change of Seasons is in there, too, but it's not really an album.

After that:

Falling into Infinity: I know this album tends to get panned by fans for being too "commercial" but I loved it. Great song writing. Trail of Tears is one my favorite DT songs. I thought Derek brought a lot of soul to the DT sound.

Six Degrees: has some great songs and ideas, but gets too bogged down with experimentation to be really good.

From there:
Scenes from a Memory: I know most fans consider this their master piece, but I found it to be their low point. Seriously, a concept album about a guy who thinks he was a girl who got killed in a past life? What the hell was that about? DT always had great lyrics up until that album.

Systematic Chaos and Back Clouds I find to be totally un-listenable. Just a bunch of recycled riffs from past albums, horrible lyrical ideas. Mostly it sounds like they started a song, ran out of ideas on how to finish said song, so they just filled in a bunch of chops to extend it, while Labrie sounds like he told to just make up the vocal melody as he went as long, and the 1st take was the keeper, good or bad. I recently picked up Labrie's latest solo album, and he sounds 100x times better with material that was actually thought out.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:39 AM

What do you think about his decision leaving DT to help A7X?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnyman View Post
What do you think about his decision leaving DT to help A7X?
He didn't leave DT to help Avenged Sevenfold.

There is a whole thread dedicated to that topic here:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=66685

and more here when he was fired from AX7:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=69933
Old 03-29-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Well, that's a loaded question.

The top 4 to me are:
Images and Words - Because it was the 1st album I heard
Awake - because it was darker and heavier, and the live tour was awesome.
Train of Thought - because it was getting back to the Awake vibe of dark and heavy
Octavarium - because it was getting back to the I&W through Change of Seasons era in terms of mixing up short melodic songs with longer pieces.

Thanks mate, that's just what I was after - as I'm not familiar with DT I wanted a starting point to hear what the "more modern" prog is like (post 70's prog that is) and as a guide to Mr Portnoy also (rather than randomly buying an album of theirs).
Old 04-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

For anyone interested, Portnoy discusses a bit about the various projects he has been doing so far in 2011:

http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/04/08...lshare_twitter
Old 04-15-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDad View Post
I think Mike is better than Peart. Peart is a percussionist, in that he plays some other percussion instruments, Mike is a drummer. I guess Peart is a much better musician, but Mike is a better drummer.
I know this post is from 2005, but it is still one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. All you have to do is Watch Neil play YYZ, then watch Mike play it with his Cygnus and the Sea Monsters band. It's on one of his DVD's. It's very clear that Neil is a much better drummer then Mike.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:53 AM

Got a copy of "Awake" on the weekend - 70+ minutes of music on one CD is great value.

Mr Portnoy certainly can play - great staccato double kicks and some pretty good blasting too - lots of good stops / timing changes.

I got a bit sick of the chorused shredding lead guitar sound ..... obviously a good player but a bit more variety would be nice.....

So, next up... any recommendations for the best Slipknot album? :-)
Old 05-15-2011, 11:21 PM

Hi
Dear Mike,

Hope you are fine.

After you arranged the better places for the microphones on your kit, arrange the Gain for gets the Maximum peak(without clip or distortion) of them without attention to the leakages, or you use the Gain for Minimum leakages and use the ambiance sounds in your mix when you record in your studio?

Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran - Iran
Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 AM

Probably some of us here have never met Mike, and perhaps some of us have. I have met Mike, not only is he an awesome drummer and my 2nd most major influence on my drumming, MP is an awesome guy. Listening to MP play and watching him with his stick control, he really doesn't hit hard compared to Peart, I learned to play the drums musically. Because of him, I sometimes choose not play solo's at some gigs, because like him, I think that drums are part of an entire team of musical instruments. Nothing against drum solo's I still play them depending on the night, but like MP I like to play the drums musically. He also makes it easy to play odd time by rooting it back to 4/4! Anyhow, I do enjoy listening and watching MP play.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 AM

There are so many great things I could say about Mike but I don't think I have enough time to make a list that big. He has influenced me so much. Hopefully Ill get to see him play someday. Thanks mike for the inspiration and courage to keep drumming.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:42 PM

Hi guys, I had the pleasure of interviewing Mike at the Adrenaline Mob gig in Manchester the other day. Thought you might like to watch it, he talks a fair bit about how his roles in each of his projects differs. Here it is, please let me know if you like it!

http://www.banterzine.com/music-inte...ob-manchester/
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banterzine View Post
Hi guys, I had the pleasure of interviewing Mike at the Adrenaline Mob gig in Manchester the other day. Thought you might like to watch it, he talks a fair bit about how his roles in each of his projects differs. Here it is, please let me know if you like it!

http://www.banterzine.com/music-inte...ob-manchester/
Great review! I don't mind at all if Mike is talking about his other projects because they fascinate me a lot. He is one of my biggest influences for god sake! I think he is the one who got me deeply into drumming and made me so curious about music itself.

I went to see Adrenaline Mob in Helsinki 10th of June and I have to say it was maybe the best concert where I have ever been so far. Even the Foo Fighters' concert in Helsinki last summer wasn't as great as that one. Okay, I'm talking about two very different bands but the energy in the Mob gig was something unbeliveable. And there were only like 200 people watching it!

By the way, this was my second time I saw Portnoy playing!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Its been very quiet on the old Portnoy front!

Like many MP is one of the drummers that influenced me very early on in my drumming life. I could have got the 2/4/2/4 between feet and snare idea from Neil Peart just as easily even though it's not a recurring theme for him.

I look at Portnoy in different ways to just purely his drumming. What I will say about his drumming is that he may have inferior technique but he lays himself bare on the table and throws all of his musicality at a song. There isn't much that we haven't heard from him but when you consider that he hasn't ever actually practised since DT got 'big' (after Images and Words) then he wouldn't have had much scope for improvement. Playing doesn't equal practising, you can only be consistent by playing the same material repeatedly. No doubt if he had more time to practise he could be up there with different drummers but the way things went he hasn't done bad for himself at all :-)

As far as his drumming in other bands, I loved his stuff in LTE. I do actually like his stuff with Winery Dogs, it is a very restrained side of MP although you know it is definitely him behind the kit.

Here are the different ways I look at Mike.

1) His vision of how DT should run. Mike RAN the whole of DT while he was a part of it. He was purely for the fans whereas all the others (Jordan aside) were purely focused on themselves. No interaction on forums etc.

The fact that he had 25+ years of DT material to sift through and make sure it was never duplicated at the same area was amazing dedication. The headache would be unbearable.

I think maybe he did 'too' much and ended up being a jack of all trades master of none but what he did was very commendable.

2) Artistically he did most of the visual work on the SFAM live video. He also recorded most of the bands activities in the studio and out and about etc.

3) He dealt with a lot of the lyrical content and some of it is really powerful stuff. Some of it is garbage but then I'm not always keen on lyrics written by Neil Peart yet I think he is amazing.

4) He dealt with the production and direction of the band. How many drummers in a conventional band have as much influence over everything as MP did? Most drummers aren't even considered in the grand scheme of things but MP was the frontman not James LaBrie.

There are some unsavoury points to MP that I do not like. The video that circulated of him laying into the drum tech in the Far East was way out of order and completely unprofessional.

His ego is out of touch I feel he thinks he is more important to the music scene than he actually is. If you compare modesty against levels of drum talent, he is way down on the list in my view. Mangini is very humble, Virgil Donati doesn't seem arrogant in the slightest either. Thomas Lang has that assured swagger that comes with being in the super elite but again he is not completely out of touch. Marco Minnemann is a fun guy it seems but he shares some of his discoveries on youtube. He knows he is good but he isn't a complete douche about it (although I didnt like his approach of auditioning for DT even when he wasnt keen on the music...wrong attitude).

Mike's strengths lie in taking full control of something and taking it in all sorts of directions which he really has only achieved with DT. Also his contact with the fan base, even if a lot of it is to show off and name drop (thats the way it was 6 or 7 years ago at least), was a strong point. I don't know if this is good or bad really, but he has scoured youtube videos of peoples tributes. He put a personal comment on a video, something about the 12 step suite + 13th "crooked step". Which to be fair, was a great video and way to put songs together in an almost narrative way.

But is it considered arrogant to actively listen out for your own material or is that a good thing? I've heard both arguments.

I'm going off tangent slightly because I'm at work bored out my tree.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

I am more of an ex-fan.
As a teen just starting out, I saw his video with Erotomania etc and it was the coolest thing ever. Awake was a great album and I ate it up, played along quite often. Some of the other stuff was okay but I gave up on them because there were cheesy aspects to their music, as well as the vocals, and I was discovering other bands. I don't know but perhaps Jordan Rudess' influence is the thing I didn't like.

Mike has flair, and he's very free and playful. Some of his drum parts are excellent but on the other hand some of them expose weaknesses in his approach, and perhaps he just stopped learning at a point and kept finding ways to exploit the techniques that he already knew (which is good in a way). There were a few live videos where he played badly and I, like many others had a change of heart and his abilities have become a controversial topic, just go on YouTube and see the commenters (of all ages) biting each others heads off.

I saw he posted a reaction to this on HOD and I kind of felt guilty for being a harsh critic and being a part of the noise that hurt Mike's feelings. I don't know but I think maybe he got complacent and it came back to bite him on the arse.