DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Default tuning a coated reso

I've been playing with putting a coated 1ply reso under a 2ply coated batter on my S Classix kit.

I know Benny Greb does this. I'd like to get that sound. So far I've been able to get it on the larger sizes...but the 10x8 is proving harder to tune.

Has anyone done this? Any help would be good.

I don't know how high to tune the reso in relation to the batter. I've heard Benny has the batter low and the reso medium...but what exactly is medium?

If anyone has drum dial settings just to give me idea of where each skin needs to go in order for the drum to sing instead of going DONK!

Thanks in advance.

SonorPlayer
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: tuning a coated reso

I've used coated resonant heads with coated tops and gotten very nice results.

I would try to do the following:

Get your batter head approximately where you want it pitch and tension wise. make sure it's somewhat even sounding from lug to lug.

Then detune your resonant head all the way down to wrinkles. Slowly bring the head up in pitch by tuning tension rods up by small increments. When you start to hear a pitch, hit the batter to see if the sound character is what you want. Continue doing this, bringing up each tension rod in small increments until you get to where you want the general sound of the drum to be.

At that point you can start to mess with the batter head tension (if needed) in very small increments, up or down, and maybe adjust the reso a bit as you do that. You want to try to be even from lug to lug but don't be concerned if after getting the drum to sound how you want it to if there are 1 or 2 uneven sounding lugs. It's the general timbre you are going for.

I'd also review Bob Gatzen's tuning videos on You Tube. Even though he works for Evans, the principals he states are for all drum heads.

HTH

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

it's not 100% easy, but tuning the drum to the resonant frequency of the 10" shell should get you close. sing into the drum with a slow pitch bend until you hear the shell note resonate & vibrate w/ your sung note...there should be 2 notes you can hit, 1 high & 1 low. tune to the higher one to emulate Benny's tuning on his Sonars. the worst part is getting close & then ironing out the dissonant lugs.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_G View Post
it's not 100% easy, but tuning the drum to the resonant frequency of the 10" shell should get you close. sing into the drum with a slow pitch bend until you hear the shell note resonate & vibrate w/ your sung note...there should be 2 notes you can hit, 1 high & 1 low. tune to the higher one to emulate Benny's tuning on his Sonars. the worst part is getting close & then ironing out the dissonant lugs.
If I would sing into my drums, I'd possibly crack the shells, lol. This is why I never get a vocal mic at a gig.

Dennis
Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If I would sing into my drums, I'd possibly crack the shells, lol. This is why I never get a vocal mic at a gig.
heh. it's cool...when i change my heads the drums smell like bad breath...(ba-dump_BUMP)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:19 PM

if I used the coated Gplus instead of a coated G1 would I get more sustain from the 10x8 tom? That's with G2 coated on the batter side.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

For info on how much higher a reso is tuned over a batter, check out the tom tuning thread here on DW, starting at post #69. It works every time and many pros use this method.