DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Pimento Pimento is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 453
Default Recording Basics

Ok, well i HAVE recorded before, i have never done it myself.

Im looking to put some pieces together to be semi-portable (jam space-studio kind of deal) and i would like to be able to set up mics for the drums, and have some left for the guitar/vocals so we could set everything up and kind of leave it alone. My singer has experience with his little home setup, and has most of the mics (might need another set for my drums) but no experience with a more "high end" setup.

I have a good laptop (Toshiba Qosmio 300X) and an Imac to use. The Imac has garage band installed, i currently use it for toying with my V-drums. Ideally i would use the laptop. I would like to be able to record at our "studio" space, then bring my laptop home to edit everything either on one of my home computers or i may invest in some decent monitor speakers and create a little space for the laptop.

Essentially im thinking i would like some sort of mixer that i could plug into the laptop, with enough channels to supply a 5 piece band (6 piece drum kit) and software/other setup that would allow me to edit it at home.

Sorry for clarifying several times, just want to be as clear as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Fox622003's Avatar
Fox622003 Fox622003 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: Recording Basics

As I mentioned on another similar thread, I use a TASCAM US-1641 for both studio and live recording. It's a very nice interface that'll give you 10 separate channels into your PC for under 300 bucks and comes with Cubase LE 5. At home, you won't use more than 10 for your drums, and live, you can definitely let go of a couple of mics for the drums and use them for the rest of the instruments.
Here's a sample of something I'm working on at the moment, see if you like the drum sound.


Fox.
Attached Files
File Type: wav TASCAM US-1641 Sample.wav (8.34 MB, 90 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 AM
Pimento Pimento is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 453
Default Re: Recording Basics

Yeah i dont mind the drum sound. Is there any way you could take a pic and show me how you have things set up?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-2011, 03:43 AM
Fox622003's Avatar
Fox622003 Fox622003 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: Recording Basics

Here you go. You can see how the interface connects directly to a desktop computer I have in that room, very simple; drums, mics, interface, PC, Cubase.


Fox.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2011, 03:49 AM
Pimento Pimento is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 453
Default Re: Recording Basics

Thats what i was looking for. Looks like i have something to put my cash from my new job towards lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 AM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Recording Basics

I'm running a TASCAM US-1641 as well. You must have a real good computer to run this interface. I'm talking a dual or quad core with each core running at 2.8GHz or better, 4GB RAM or better, and a 7200rpm hard drive. Do not have anything else plugged into the USB ports on the computer when recording and do not run multiple programs when recording. Obviously, it's a resource intensive process.

You can actually run a total of 14 microphones into this interface, if you know what you're doing (and have a pre-amp to feed additional lines into the 1/4" balanced inputs on the US-1641). I'm running 8x mics into the US-1641 and up to 6x more mics into a Nady 8x pre-amp (yes, I have two pre-amps that are useless). The Nady has 1/4" balanced outs for each pre, and I run those into the 6x 1/4" balanced inputs on the TASCAM (2x on front, 4x on rear of interface). You can also press the button and run unbalance line into the 2x 1/4" inputs on front of the TASCAM (like for a guitar and/or bass cable direct input - no need for a direct box).

I'm running a close mic on each drum, two condensers overhead, and two large diaphragm condensers for room mics. I get a great sound by mixing all of this together.

The TASCAM comes with Cubase, but I use Cakewalk Sonar Producer 8.3. Mostly because I'm more familiar and comfortable with it (plus Roland has some nice how-to videos on YouTube when I need help doing something with it).



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 AM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Recording Basics

Couple pictures of my recording setup.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Pimento Pimento is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 453
Default Re: Recording Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post
I'm running a TASCAM US-1641 as well. You must have a real good computer to run this interface. I'm talking a dual or quad core with each core running at 2.8GHz or better, 4GB RAM or better, and a 7200rpm hard drive. Do not have anything else plugged into the USB ports on the computer when recording and do not run multiple programs when recording. Obviously, it's a resource intensive process.

You can actually run a total of 14 microphones into this interface, if you know what you're doing (and have a pre-amp to feed additional lines into the 1/4" balanced inputs on the US-1641). I'm running 8x mics into the US-1641 and up to 6x more mics into a Nady 8x pre-amp (yes, I have two pre-amps that are useless). The Nady has 1/4" balanced outs for each pre, and I run those into the 6x 1/4" balanced inputs on the TASCAM (2x on front, 4x on rear of interface). You can also press the button and run unbalance line into the 2x 1/4" inputs on front of the TASCAM (like for a guitar and/or bass cable direct input - no need for a direct box).

I'm running a close mic on each drum, two condensers overhead, and two large diaphragm condensers for room mics. I get a great sound by mixing all of this together.

The TASCAM comes with Cubase, but I use Cakewalk Sonar Producer 8.3. Mostly because I'm more familiar and comfortable with it (plus Roland has some nice how-to videos on YouTube when I need help doing something with it).




Yeah, my laptop is dual core 2.8 and my desktop is quad 2.8, both are sufficiient for recording. Plus ill be given another desktop thats quad 2.8 but double the ram with an extra video card.

I may also use my imac for recording as well. The main issues im having is the "what gets the sound from the mics to the computer" and the TASCAM seems to be the best option thats affordable at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Pimento Pimento is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 453
Default Re: Recording Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post
Couple pictures of my recording setup.
Care to explain to me what is what and where it all goes? Im very curious to see the rest :)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 AM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Recording Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
Care to explain to me what is what and where it all goes? Im very curious to see the rest :)
For mics:

one mic on each drum (close). Slowly replacing everything with high end mics, but taking me some time (so wife doesn't kill me).

Two pencil condensers overhead, pencil condenser on hi-hats, and two large diaphragm condenser room mics.

All of that runs into either the Nady 8-channel Mic pre-amp or directly into the TASCAM US-1641 (which has 8x built in pre-amps that sound pretty good). Every XLR connection I have can output phantom power (I can run 14x pre-amp channels simo).

I run bass drum, snare, 4x toms, and overheads into the TASCAM directly. I run the hi-hats and room condensers into the Nady which in turn goes into the 1/4" line inputs on the rear of the TASCAM.

1x USB 2.0 from the TASCAM into my laptop (HP dv7, 2.9 GHz AMD Phenom, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD). I'm using Sonic Producer 8.3.

Attached is a recording with this setup. Inludes me playing some guitar and bass as well (I used the unbalanced guitar input on the TASCAM (channels 9 and 10 on the front, which are switchable to balanced line inputs as well).
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DNS - 04 -Demo 4.mp3 (6.09 MB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 AM
Pimento Pimento is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 453
Default Re: Recording Basics

What was the rough cost of the setup and how portable is it? To me it looks like your rack case can just be picked up and moved, am i correct in this assumption? Is it possible to get a picture wit hthe whole front and back of that?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:29 PM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Recording Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
What was the rough cost of the setup and how portable is it? To me it looks like your rack case can just be picked up and moved, am i correct in this assumption? Is it possible to get a picture wit hthe whole front and back of that?
Pretty portable set-up. I end up with a laptop bag, rack case, and two Rubbermaid Action Packers with cables and mics. Plus whatever mic stands I need to carry also.

Costs:

$60 - SKB 4-space rack (used)
$50 - Furman power conditioner (used)
$50 - Behringer headphone amp (used)
$299 - TASCAM US-1641 (Amazon)
$100 - various cables (balanced cables, cables for monitors, etc)
$100 - M-Audio MV30 Monitors
$800 - HP dv7 Laptop

~$1400, counting the laptop. $600 if you don't. I was patient on the used pieces...The Furman I have is their top of the line which is about $150 new...got it in like new condition for $50.

Not including mics and mic cables in the cost here...that definately varies based on what you have to mic and what your preferences are.

One thing I did was replaced all of the power cables with 1' power cables (about $15 each), keeps everything tidy inside the rack case instead of having to tie up 10' of power cable. I'm using as short a cable as possible in the back to hook everything up...will add pictures later on tonight or tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 AM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Recording Basics

Three images uploaded...I hope the notes I embedded on each slide explain, if not, let me know.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 PM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Recording Basics

Thought this one might help too, labeled the front with everything going into the Nady Pre-amp and the TASCAM pre-amps.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Ludwig Drums; TaylorMade Golf Clubs
http://www.youtube.com/zombie13studio
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Pimento Pimento is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 453
Default Re: Recording Basics

That was very helpful, thank you :)

I think i have a good idea to start things anyways. Thank you for all the help, any lil tips and tricks though hsould be put in this thread, might as well make it a "Dummies guide to recording" type thread
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Recording Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
That was very helpful, thank you :)

I think i have a good idea to start things anyways. Thank you for all the help, any lil tips and tricks though hsould be put in this thread, might as well make it a "Dummies guide to recording" type thread
The caveat I'll throw on any USB recording interface is that you will have dropouts if you use a substandard computer. You have to have multiple cores running at least 2.8 GHz each, must have 4GB+ RAM, and a 7200rpm Hard Drive.

With those minimum specs, I've recorded 11 inputs/tracks simultaneously without a dropout. I know I could run 14 and not have an issue.

With a lesser computer (1.6GHz, 2GB ram, 5400rpm HDD), I was experiencing dropouts recording one track.
__________________
Ludwig Drums; TaylorMade Golf Clubs
http://www.youtube.com/zombie13studio
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Fox622003's Avatar
Fox622003 Fox622003 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: Recording Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
any lil tips and tricks though hsould be put in this thread, might as well make it a "Dummies guide to recording" type thread
The hardware is easy. Focus on what's after you've got your recording done with top of the line mics and it's sounding awful; you should thoroughly research/study on mixing and mastering if you want decent results when working with music production software.


Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Recording Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
The hardware is easy. Focus on what's after you've got your recording done with top of the line mics and it's sounding awful; you should thoroughly research/study on mixing and mastering if you want decent results when working with music production software.


Fox.
Like how to use and apply compression, EQ, gates on the base tracks, then how to bump that into a bus, bounce those into a master...I've learned this the hard way.
__________________
Ludwig Drums; TaylorMade Golf Clubs
http://www.youtube.com/zombie13studio
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Pimento Pimento is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 453
Default Re: Recording Basics

http://princegeorge.kijiji.ca/c-View...AdId=257750798


Can anyone give me an opinion on this and if it will do some decent recordings? Im looking for something i can set up at the jam spot for now, and foro nly $125 i think its an ok deal.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Recording Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
http://princegeorge.kijiji.ca/c-View...AdId=257750798


Can anyone give me an opinion on this and if it will do some decent recordings? Im looking for something i can set up at the jam spot for now, and foro nly $125 i think its an ok deal.
You can get something better and more modern for about the same price. (that thing has a "JAZ" drive in it! Yikes!).

Look at something like a Fostex MR8 and a simple mixer for about the same price.
__________________
Ludwig Drums; TaylorMade Golf Clubs
http://www.youtube.com/zombie13studio
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com