DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM

Default Analog vs Digital...

Okay all, just need an opinion. Ive assessed all my possible recording options, just need a educated answer :D

Okay, what is better in terms of recording for a beginner.

An ANALOG mixer with all preamps and necessities.

Or Plugging in Mics dierctly into my computer without any Preamps etc.

I know the mixer will provide me with al the essentials of mixing and recording, however plugging in directly will allow me to manipulate each track in post production. ive looked into Hybrid mixers but they are far to expensive for me, even the Behringers :(

So what would be better for a beginner? Full Control or the essentials?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Analog vs Digital...

Having learned how to be an audio guy - the tactile sense of actually knowing what's happening to the signal as its routed is tantamount to being a good recording engineer. That's basically what you're doing, you're signal routing. Digital or analog the process is the same. In fact, the only real difference is where the signal gets recorded. Either into a computer or some other kind of recorder. Digital doesn't necessarily mean computer. If you had a Yamaha O1v mixer linked up with a Tascam DA88 recording digital signal onto 8mm tape, that's still digital.

I would recommend if you have to record into the computer, you need the control surface and the processing power to make it feel like a real mixing desk, and unfortunately that cost $$$.
Post-production on a computer totally sucks as a workflow method without the controller.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

I track through an analog board into protools. Then, I mix digitally (in the computer). Finally, I master back through the analog board. It has a "better" sound to me, because it colors the sound a bit in a desirable way.

What I would do, if I were you, would be to buy a digital set up. Then, in the future, see if you can rent or borrow an analog soundboard and some tube preamps to see what it does to your recording process. If it makes it easier/more enjoyable/sound better, then I'd say go for it. If not, then it's probably just a waste of money for you.

FWIW, "analog recording" typically refers to the medium onto which you record, meaning analog tape.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I would recommend if you have to record into the computer, you need the control surface and the processing power to make it feel like a real mixing desk, and unfortunately that cost $$$.
Post-production on a computer totally sucks as a workflow method without the controller.
Well, Ive got access to some pretty hefty software if that helps such as Adobe Audition and Cubase, they seem to have some great post processing features and a virtual mixer, so Im kinda leaning towards that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus
What I would do, if I were you, would be to buy a digital set up. Then, in the future, see if you can rent or borrow an analog soundboard and some tube preamps to see what it does to your recording process. If it makes it easier/more enjoyable/sound better, then I'd say go for it. If not, then it's probably just a waste of money for you.
Yeah I was thinking that, I may just use some cheap USB's to plug in my mics, and then in the future purchase an interface that can give me sweet preamps, I will likely buy some cheap phantom power source for now. But I suppose to get great sounding drums, some experience is needed, as well as !
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Or, you could get a USB mixer:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...cts?sku=485371

I'm not a fan of Behringer, but whatever. Find a model you like.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 PM

I don't personally like to mix on a computer. It becomes too visual and GUI-based. I'd rather bounce things around on a mixing board. As for recording medium, that's up to you. I like digital HD recorders, but my friend still uses analog reel to reel which work really well for him.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:19 AM

A mixture of both is the best way to start.

1/ PC running Reaper as your DAW
+
2/ 8 channel I/O interface (name brand)
+
3/ Small analog mixer - 12 or 16 channel - Yamaha MGs are good value

Set up your link to Tweak's site and off you go :-)
Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 AM
audiotech

If you're new to all this, my suggestion would be to read everything about recording that you can get your hands on. Much more can be accomplished at the beginning of the food chain than where the signal is going to end up. Microphones and particularly where and how they are placed will be more of a factor than where the signals will migrate.

A good microphone well placed and recorded on an analog audio cassette deck at a speed of 1 7/8 ips will sound better than a poor mic haphazardly placed and digitally recorded.

Dennis
Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
A mixture of both is the best way to start.

1/ PC running Reaper as your DAW
+
2/ 8 channel I/O interface (name brand)
+
3/ Small analog mixer - 12 or 16 channel - Yamaha MGs are good value

Set up your link to Tweak's site and off you go :-)
This. This is how I started out, only I went with Pro Tools instead of Reaper. The Tweakhead site and forum is fantastic, I have to get back over there, its been awhile!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Gold Member

Well, the TASCAM US-1641 runs under 300 bucks, and it'll come with Cubase and give you 10 separate inputs into your PC.
Been working great for me.

Fox.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:15 AM

I dont want to hijack this post, but oculd one of you recording type dudes PM me?

Im trying to do a "budget" setup for a band type setting and really need some advice. Ive tried learning from the sites ive seen on the internet and i dont think i "Get it" yet. I didnt want to start a whole new thread for this.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, this will defintily help.