DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default H2 Zoom - does anyone know about this issue?

I record every band practice on the H2 Zoom. When I get home I cut the MP3s and paste them in a folder on my hard drive.

About a month ago I noticed files with weird glyph file names. They can't be opened or deleted. I get a message saying the file can't be accessed. Each week there's more of them and this week only about half the recordings were retrievable.

I figured it's a virus but my anti-virus keeps giving it the all clear.

Any ideas about what's going on?
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: H2 Zoom - does anyone know about this issue?

Doesn't sound like an issue with the Zoom. Your Windows system must be the culprit. Any way to just re-format your hard drive and just re-install everything fresh? I tend to do this about once every other year or so on my Mac when things start to act up - even though people have told me I don't need to. It's nice to clean the slate and know.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM

These files don't appear to be in your hard drive, they are on a "removable disk" which I take to be your memory card. You can clear the memory card just by formatting it, that usually works.
I see that you have a drive called Newdrive [C] and also another drive called Local drive. If your operating system is on drive C then you may have another system on Local drive because this is how Windows deals with more than one operating system on separate hard drives. It sometimes gets confused when you do that.
If you look through your hard drives using the search function, do *.mp3 and it will find all the MP3's that you have. It's possible that your Windows installation is corrupted but that is often fixable using the Checkdisk function.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

I see you have them stored on an external drive. Might be that the drive is acting up.

Also, some of those files are well over 2 GB in size. If your external drive is formatted with the old FAT32 file system, files that huge might cause problems.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM

Yes, but look at the dates they were created! There's something wrong.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Cheers guys. Removable disk (G:) is the H2 Zoom itself, connected via USB. Folder 1 is where the music files are usually found. There's no memory card, just that of the device. I did a search of the entire device for MP3s and I've lost seven recordings.

Those weird files and folders weren't there before. Yes, some of those files are big and I'm wondering if I lost the recordings through lack of space. But, as I say, I can't do a thing with them.

I haven't installed the Zoom - it's plug & play via USB.

Bo, I have about 40 programs on my PC and I can't bear the idea of reformatting and going through the installations all over again!

I have no idea what those weird files are but, whatever they are, they're doing me no favours.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Can you do a factory reset of the Zoom, or is there an option to clear or format the internal memory? I'm guessing that you've copied the files that actually worked to your computer, so the data loss will be minimal if you do a full reset?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Yes Thud - the dates are bizarre.

Nice thought, Eskil, but I just looked at the manual and Google and there's no reset on the machine.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM

I'm thinking that's what it is too. I'm not familiar with the Zoom as I use a Tascam Portastudio and tape.

It is possible to clean up a Windows installation without having to reinstall, which is a major job.
In My Computer, right-click on Drive C and select Properties. Look for a tab marked Tools and select the button that says Check Now. It will need you to restart the computer and then it will run a file checking utility that will take 20-30 mins to run. This won't destroy any data but it might find your missing files, which will be in the root of C:
You can do this for each drive and then run Defragmenter to sort out all the odd bits and pieces, it's in the same place as Check Now, next button down.

Also you may like to download a piece of freeware called CCleaner. This was originally called Crap Cleaner and that's exactly what it does.
It also has a function for cleaning up your Registry. Note that this is destructive, it will remove your password files and your cookies so make sure you have them to hand as you need to re-enter that information afterwards. It's a little bit of hassle but a lot less than reinstalling the system!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Nice thought, Eskil, but I just looked at the manual and Google and there's no reset on the machine.
In that case I'd say it's a warranty issue.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Woo hoo! CCleaner did the job. Great work, Thud!

I used the program to erase everything in the unit - I couldn't do that via Windows. Before I did it I backed up the file in its SYS folder called MACPRM.ZIF to my PC (found that advice via Google).

The screenshot let me know what the folder structure was so I could recreate them. I just tested it and the unit's back to how it was when I first bought it.

Thanks everyone for chipping in, much appreciated :)
Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Great! Another satisfied customer :)
I do wonder if the memory module is OK though. They can go wrong all by themselves in which case it's a warranty job.
The problem could possibly lie with the USB because for some things it can be a little unreliable. It might be a poor cable connection or some motherboards are just not too good at dealing with USB. At any rate it's not always 100% reliable so I'd be watching that in future.
It is worth running CCleaner regularly on all your drives as it will keep the junk files to a minimum and the machine will run better.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I think CC will be an asset. Thanks for that.

I'm wondering if it was a virus. When I see weird stuff that refuses to be deleted/moved I have doubts after I got the New Folder virus on my PC, which did that stuff. My other suspect is our singer's practice of pulling out the plug without turning the unit off first at the end of rehearsals. It's not running but still turned on.

Have to admit I've not had a USB issue (as far as I know).
Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

I've got an offer of $60 for a used one presented to me...thinking of pulling the trigger.
How do you like it...is this the first issue you've had with it?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

It's a great little unit, Linear. It was my only major issue and that was solved in the way described below.

Enjoy!