DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-12-2008, 11:59 PM

Default Re: How personal are drum sticks to you? Do you have to use a certain pair?

my stick of choice is the vater manhatten 7a playing with anything larger is just kinda weird
Old 09-13-2008, 01:14 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: How personal are drum sticks to you? Do you have to use a certain pair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
Maple is very rigid, it doesn't "give" like a hickory drumstick. It makes for a good sounding stick that doesn't get spongy but when it DOES break, it does it all at once!!

For quite a long time, my favorite stick was the Bob Gatzen Maple by Regal Tip/Calato. It was pretty big, but very light for it's size. A lot of volume for a light stick, at the time it seemed like the thing to do.

Bob Gatzen Stix
This is very true.

The maple sticks are always lighter. I have been using the vic firth sd9's and love the weight. I would prefer just a tad thicker but they are fine.

When they start to break though.....thats it. I need to go buy a new pair.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:51 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I think that we actually intellectualise stick choice too much as drummers and under-develop techniques because of our obsession with finding the 'right' stick for 'technique A'. In fact, I think drummers in general have a tendency to focus too much on gear and not enough on playing...
I missed this one. I don't think it's a matter of over-inellectualizing to find the stick that works best and to keep using that stick. Every drummer I know keeps his stick bag filled with pairs of his favorite stick. It's just like a sax player having his favorite reed. And maybe the techniques you mention can be arrived at more efficiently by using the "right stick."
Finding and using the right stick is a part of focusing on playing.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Vater Sugar Maple Piccolos

I marched and played symphonic for so long i got used to big sticks. Anything under a 5B, and I don't feel I have any control. Because of that I used Vic Firth SD1 Generals on my kit for a while haha. Switched to the Buddy Rich models, but I couldn't stand the white marks they left all over my cymbals. Switched to Vater Fusions. I prefer a ball tip, so the Fusions gave me that, and a nice balance and feel in around a 5A. But they were always lacking to me because the diameter. Then I found the Vater Sugar Maple Piccolos. AMAZING. They're around a 2B but they're maple so they're lighter weight than hickory. So I can get a much larger stick with a lot less weight. I am in love with these sticks. They produce a sweeter, softer sound on cymbals than an other sticks I've heard due to the softness of the maple compared to the hickory. But they break a lot because of that too. Definitely not as durable as hickory sticks. But the feel is totally worth the extra $$. I buy a new brick every couple months.

A man after my own heart. Easily the best sticks i've ever used.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

i've been using Vic Firth 3A for probably close to 20 years now. but if my drum shop is out of VF i'll use Vater 3A, which is no different than the VF. wood tip or nylon, whatever is available.

my son uses Pro Mark 747s and they just feel like toothpicks in my hands.

i've used so many different sticks over the last 40+ years some of them aren't even made anymore!!!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 AM

I usually use 5As but I used to be in a drumline for a bit and had to use some beefy Ralphies so I'll generally play with any kind.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:21 PM

Playing with a stick other than a pair of Vic Firth David Garibaldi Signature feels awkward most of the time - they are like extensions of my arms - no extra weight etc. Whenever I play with something else, I feel like I'm holding a tool, if you know what I mean.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 PM

I dont think pick choice is any less personal than stick choice, theres easily as much variety in picks as there is drum sticks. However some people have to play the same kind of pick/stick, others are fine with playing with any stick/pick. For picks i prefer the Jim Dunlop Totex .88mm (the green ones with the turtle), thats the pick i buy when ever i need to buy em, however if theres not one to hand im happy with anything. Comparing something like a 0.38mm nylon to a 3mm Big Stubby is like comparing, a 7A to a 3S. Massive varieties of both sticks and picks. I think its better to be ok with using any kind of stick or pick, in case a particular one becomes unavailable or you forget to take em somewhere important.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:59 AM

So, I like VF sticks...I use Zoro Signature sticks because I met him once at a clinic and he was just great. So the sticks have an emotional quality. They feel amazing in my hands and I like how VF uses red to dot their i's and it says "made in the USA" with the little red flag. I also like a longer stick with a wood tip.

Silly or strange reasoning? Probably, but sticks are IMHO personal. Like others have mentioned ie.. quitar picks or strings or mouth peices etc. are a matter of preference.

My wife is deaf and when I placed different sticks in her hands at the shop to explain my point to her she TOTALY got it. She said that the VF sticks I prefer felt the best BTW. Kudos to her!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:00 PM

I can't play on anything smaller than a 2b or it feels like I'm playing with pencils. I normally use Ralph Hardison's or Corpmaster 2's so the 2b is the smallest I'm comfortable playing with.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

I am very picky about sticks mostly because everybody plays a larger stick than I do. I play the Vic Firth 8D, which is basically a longer 7A, and nobody plays sticks that small. Anytime I am forced to use another drummers sticks they are 5A or larger and it feels like I am playing with Louisville Sluggers.

I am also in the ineviable position of playing hard with small sticks. I literally go through a pair of sticks every gig.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:13 PM

I have to have Promark 747B's or Oak 5A's. Anything else and I trip up really bad on rolls. It's not even funny lol
Old 11-28-2010, 04:45 AM

My current favs are Vic Firth 8d's/5a's almost identical. I just like the weight-the feel.

I usually practice with 7a's, only really because I've picked up a couple of bricks of cheap Guitar center ones that I use then to save my Vic's.

I dont really have any particular issue with new or worn in sticks- I will pretty much use whatever.

My only thing for gigs is that I will only use warm sticks. By this I mean I warm up before I go on and the sticks slightly warm in my hands etc..... If I drop a stick and replace it with a new one- its not 'warmed up' but by the end of the song its getting there. This means I will leave the dropped stick where it lies (because its cooled down now)

I guess this could just be a variation of the worn in stick thing.... Once I replace a stick during a gig- that stick in my mind becomes my playing stick etc

Hope that doesnt sound too crazy?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:14 AM

I usually pick a pair that I'm sold on, until another comes along.

It uses to be Pro-Mark 7a Oaks, then I was sold on the Vater Recording Hickorys. Now, I'm super into the Los Cabos 8A Red Hickory's, but still play my Vaters as I have a brick and a half sitting around.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Ivw played only personalized Vater 8As for about a dozen years....love em.

F
Old 12-24-2010, 09:59 AM

I can and have played pretty much any stick, and used to have a variety of sticks in my bag to use for specific styles/songs. But since I first tried the Vater Stewart Copeland signatures I haven't played anything else. For me, they are the best balanced sticks I've ever used and I love the sounds I get from my drums and cymbals. So yes, my sticks are very personal to me.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 PM

I find guitar picks to be personal to a certain degree.I use different picks for different applications. When i am playing lead i like a heavy tortex pick.When i play rhythm guitar i like a medium to ligtht celluloid pick. Its true i can play with any old pic. I have even used a quarter as a pic. But i feel my choices in picks give me the feel and the sound that i want.

I like zildjain 5a dip for drum set. I will use a zildjain 2b for the pad. Its just what i like. I was given a pair of vic firth 5a extreme but i find them alittle heavy for the drum set, but i use them on the pad.

We are all different. Just looking at this thread.......some have said that they have to have brand X pair of sticks to play. And, some only need a blunt object(well sort of hahahah)
Old 12-25-2010, 02:04 AM

My favorite are Zildjian "Hal Blaine" style. They are like a somewhat thin 7A with wood tips.

Barry
Old 12-25-2010, 02:07 AM
Banned

I'll use whatever is required. I play with all kinds of sticks and brushes. Even reeds and banana leaves. The music determines what I use. I have used paint brushes and chopsticks. Whatever works.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

have used 2B's for over 30 years can switch up to 5B's but prefer the 2's anything smaller seems so thin after years of 2B's...wood tips is my only real must have
Old 12-25-2010, 06:24 PM

I hate using new sticks. They just don't feel right, too slippery. I found that if I sand them down a little bit they break in quickly. Promark has a "Natural" stick that feels better but I really like Vic Firth 5B and some 400 grit sand paper on occasion works for me.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not too fussy about drum sticks. Lately, I've been playing mostly Vic Firth 5As.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat_Rolls View Post
. She pretty much said "Do you need to buy another pair already? You have a bunch of sticks in your stick bag!". Well, this is all true, but
I can relate. I always have extra sticks laying around from past experiments, something some gave to me, or a size I used to use. But if they're not the ones I'm currently using, off to the store I go! Those other sticks won't do.

As for guitar picks, I tend to have a variety laying around, because they can have different effects on the sound of the guitar when recording (well, assuming it's an acoustic or very clean patch).
Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 AM

as personal as is
some may be thematic when talking about sticks, others may be able to play with what ever they give them
im, at least i consider my self to be, not to exigent when over the topic
Old 12-26-2010, 08:55 PM

First of all, I think a guitarist saying they play with any pick or a credit card is - in the minority. I'm pretty sure Eric Johnson would not want to play with just any pick.

I get attached to a particular stick. I have tried different sticks over the years, but when I'm gigging regularly, I have usually settled in with a particular stick over an extended period of time. Can I play with another stick? Yeah, I guess, but it's not nearly as comfortable or fun.

Sonor Safari for the win
Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM

I've got hundreds of picks and tend to change them up depending on each particular day. Sometimes if I feel I'm a little off I'll either grab a thicker or thinner pick to adjust. Tone-wise, it doesn't make a difference when I record, especially with other instruments in the mix.

With sticks, I'm comfortable using a variety but each one affects the tone of my ride so much that it sounds like a different cymbal. That said, it really narrows down the variety of sticks that I use. I look at my stick collection as a tool kit. There are pairs that are more suited for each particular song and there are sticks that just sound bad in my hands.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 AM

Im a guitarist and a drummer and im totally different. I only like playing with hard picks. If i use light or even medium picks i actually play worse. It's wierd i just love the feel of hard picks and the tone for that matter, but i kinda need the deeper sound because of my obsession with treble you can call it :). But with sticks its the same, i need to have a certain feel, and a certain balance point, by that i mean where it balances because i like a certain length of the stick so i can use advantage of my set-up.If the balance point isnt where i want it i shave wood off the front,back middle etc. untill i get it close to perfect. Also different wood looks different, remember style is important, thats why my sticks and painted red :)
Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

To be honest, I can use any stick and still play, although it may feel a little strange. I like my chris adlers sigs a lot, but I would still be able to play with 7A's or 5b's
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM

My drum sticks have become personal to me in a different way in that I have several pairs that I've owned for nai on four years now. In my current band and bands I've been in I have a list of our songs and the pair of sticks I'll use for each of those particular songs.

The reason I do this is because I've found different sticks will pull out differing and very specific tonal and sonic qualities from the drums and cymbals. This is quite apparent on the snare drum, I can get a very transparent and hi-mid tone using my Vater 7A's that is very focused, where as if I play the same snare in the same tuning with a my Buddy Rich's I get a very fat tone with a lot of low end...it sounds like a completley different snare.

The same goes for the ride cymbal and hats. If I want to get a very definate stick-attack I'll use my Gadd's, where as if I want to get a very mellow and more cusioned sound I have a pair of promark 7A's that became water soaked when my house flooded out a couple of years back that have become a little springy and have some give.

So to answer your question; yes! I do think that drum sticks are a very personal thing.

Hope everyone is well,

Kev

Last edited by K.Howden; 01-28-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Comparing stick selection to string selection will get the point across better. Comparatively, 60+ hours without breaking a string is pretty good, I think that would hit home. As far as your personal stick selection and the sounds you get it's similar to string gauge & design/material. Picks matter, but for me it's more subtle than the tonal change from a different stick.