DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-16-2011, 03:09 AM

Default Clear snare batter heads with brushes

I've used clear snare heads before, and they work pretty well. I figure that it wont work, but would brushes work on a clear head? I hate the coating on snare heads because the coating comes off and gets all over the drums.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Clear snare batter heads with brushes

Brushes would be pretty quiet on a clear uncoated head.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

Brushes work best on a coated head.
The coating is rough and the brushes produce more sound.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Platinum Member

I like the coating on Aquarian and Evans heads the best.
I find that it last a long time.
Remo coating seems to wear off faster.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:13 AM

The point of brushes are the brushing sound that is played when you swirl the brushes on the head. The coating on the drum head is what causes this friction and a smooth surface like a clear head wont make any sound whatsoever! So basically, it wont work.

The coating on coated heads shouldnt come off that much. If you play right, you can make your heads last for a long time, if needed.

Coated heads are really the ONLY option for brushes, sorry.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 AM

If you're that opposed to a coated head, you could give an Evans J1 etched head a shot.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

Another thing that you could do is set up a second snare drum with a coated head and switch drums when you want to use brushes.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

It's almost futile trying to play brushes on a smooth head. Strongly recommend the coated.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Yep.

If you're going to play brushes, you need a coated head.

Just switch to another brand if your current coating keeps coming off. The aforementioned Aquarian and Evans are excellent options.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:15 AM

I figured it wouldnt work knowing how brushes work, but it was worth a try to ask. Everytime I hit my snare drum, light or hard, some flecks of the coating come up and get all over my drums and they stick to the wrap on the shells. After 3 weeks with the head, a got like a 4" wide spot on my snare head where the coating has come off. Maybe its my stock head, but I've had the coating come off on a coated Evans snare head, so I dont know.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

Hey man, I've got nothing to add to this.. as others said, brushes won't do anything very nice on clear heads.

I just posted this to congratulate you for your nickname, "rides are awesome", LOL, made me laugh my ass off. It's probably the funniest name I've seen on any forum. :D

Well, nevermind, haha. Cheers.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rides are awesome View Post
I figured it wouldnt work knowing how brushes work, but it was worth a try to ask. Everytime I hit my snare drum, light or hard, some flecks of the coating come up and get all over my drums and they stick to the wrap on the shells. After 3 weeks with the head, a got like a 4" wide spot on my snare head where the coating has come off. Maybe its my stock head, but I've had the coating come off on a coated Evans snare head, so I dont know.
The coating will eventually come off of Every head, but these days, the coating on an Aquarian or Evans head will last - and surely not shed flecks with every hit. Something else is part of this equation.

You don't happen to have sandpaper or pointed edges on your sticks, do you? :)
Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post
I just posted this to congratulate you for your nickname, "rides are awesome", LOL, made me laugh my ass off. It's probably the funniest name I've seen on any forum. :D

Well, nevermind, haha. Cheers.
Haha, thanks! Rides cymbals are magical man, I love them!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
The coating will eventually come off of Every head, but these days, the coating on an Aquarian or Evans head will last - and surely not shed flecks with every hit. Something else is part of this equation.

You don't happen to have sandpaper or pointed edges on your sticks, do you? :)
Haha, no, but that would be an interesting drum stick right there...I think its probably that my batter head is tuned too tight, but thats the only way to get a good sound out of it with the stock head
Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 PM

A tight tuning will not make a coated head go nuclear. Something else is part of this.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 PM

I tried to roughen up clear heads with sand paper. That doesen't work either. Besides, it makes them look "crappy". The sd head was the only coated head I had on my Zickos drums (still miss them). :-( The rest were blue hydrolic. Just be sure you have good quality coated heads.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
A tight tuning will not make a coated head go nuclear. Something else is part of this.
The first week I had my set I didnt like the sound of my snare drum, but a friend of mine showed me how to properly tune it, and once he did, the first time he hit it, the head got marked, and since then it flakes off with each hit
Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

If you don't like a coated head for brushes try a Fiberskyn head.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
If you don't like a coated head for brushes try a Fiberskyn head.
Or the Aquarian Vintage series; they have a slightly thicker coating that lasts forever...or Evans J1; it's an etched head and shouldn't flake at all.

The Fiberskyns tend to bubble up after a while. I've played 5 of them and they never lasted longer than a couple months. I know others have had better luck than I did, I just hate to see this happen to you if you are already frustrated with flaking coating.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Or the Aquarian Vintage series; they have a slightly thicker coating that lasts forever...or Evans J1; it's an etched head and shouldn't flake at all.

The Fiberskyns tend to bubble up after a while. I've played 5 of them and they never lasted longer than a couple months. I know others have had better luck than I did, I just hate to see this happen to you if you are already frustrated with flaking coating.
I was thinking more along the lines of a Remo Emperor, but thank you for more ideas. Ive still got time before I change heads, so I'm gonna consider those.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

I can't tell exactly from the OP's post whether the coating problem was on a stock head or the Evans as well.

But if it was stock....Stock heads are usually just a temporary solution for you until you can afford to re-head the drums. They are a lesser quality than off the shelf heads and you'll be much happier with the sound of your drums with new heads.

FWIW: All of the big 3 Remo, Aquarian, and Evans will have some 'bad runs' of coated heads where the coating comes off almost immediately.

I highly recommend Aquarian for coating that lasts. Sounds like Response 2's might be what's best as they are somewhat like Emperors. I've used on my set as well as installed and tuned several church sets with Aquarian coated heads over the years. Out of maybe 50-60 heads there were maybe 2-3 that had this issue. If you let them know via email or phone, they jump into action to get new replacement heads to you. In fact on all occasions it was Roy Burns himself who took care of it. GREAT customer service.

The absolute normal way behaviour is for the Aquarian coated heads is for them to outlast the competition in longevity. They sound great as well but different players have different preferences for their drums. Single plies as an example, Remo Ambassadors have just a tad more highs too them than Aquarian Texture Coated. Probably due to the slightly thinner coating. Evans G1's are closer to the Ambassador then the Aquarian TC, but the coating seems to last longer.

Also I should mention that I've had a good reaction from Evans when I had a bad G2 one time. The brick and mortar wanted nothing to do with a head that sounded bad out of the box. Evans made it right as well.

Remo was a bit iffy about a defective hi hat clutch I had but....I've never interacted about drum heads with them so I'm not sure.

I have the Aquarian Modern Vintage on one of my snares right now. It has a sweet tone to it and has nice longlasting brush response (it's the 3rd one I've had on this drum in a few years since I bought it).

Try out a coated Aquarian. Should work well.

BTW: I can't see using ANY clear head for brushes.

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Aquarian and Evans do make very nice heads, but they're more on the expensive side, which is why I prefer Remo. If they have lower priced heads, I'd be happy to use those, but Evans heads are like $30 a piece depending on the head, although I'm not sure how much Aquarians are each, but they're more expensive than Remo.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:19 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Aquarian and Evans do make very nice heads, but they're more on the expensive side, which is why I prefer Remo. If they have lower priced heads, I'd be happy to use those, but Evans heads are like $30 a piece depending on the head, although I'm not sure how much Aquarians are each, but they're more expensive than Remo.
I use mostly Evans products with some Remo heads on a kit I just bought. It seems as if Evans has a bit better quality control concerning the coating flaking problem, but both manufacturers have quality products. Sorry, the only Aquarian head I have is a 14" snare head and I really don't remember how or where I got it. I would check around a bit if I were you on the Evans head pricing. I usually buy three single ply heads, 10", 12" and a 14" in their combo packs for about $30 USD. The 2 ply versions are about $5 more.

Dennis
Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I would check around a bit if I were you on the Evans head pricing. I usually buy three single ply heads, 10", 12" and a 14" in their combo packs for about $30 USD. The 2 ply versions are about $5 more.

Dennis
This is just an example from Musicians Friend of a price comparison between Evans and Remo. Both are 5-head pro-packs. The Pinstripes are the equivalent of G2's. The SD Dry is the equivalent of the Coated Ambassador. And the the Powerstroke is the equivalent of the EMAD:

-Evans $110
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ack?sku=443809

-Remo $77
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ack?sku=448911

While its about personal preference in sound, I like the sound of Remo's myself, but thats just me. Many people prefer Evans and Aquarians. Plus I could get resonant heads from Remo too, and it would come out for the same price as batter heads alone from Evans. But once again, its everyones personal choice and opinion. I have never used Aquarian though, so I cant say much about those.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 AM
audiotech

Quote:
This is just an example from Musicians Friend of a price comparison between Evans and Remo. Both are 5-head pro-packs. The Pinstripes are the equivalent of G2's. The SD Dry is the equivalent of the Coated Ambassador. And the the Powerstroke is the equivalent of the EMAD:

-Evans $110
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ack?sku=443809

-Remo $77
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ack?sku=448911

While its about personal preference in sound, I like the sound of Remo's myself, but thats just me. Many people prefer Evans and Aquarians. Plus I could get resonant heads from Remo too, and it would come out for the same price as batter heads alone from Evans. But once again, its everyones personal choice and opinion. I have never used Aquarian though, so I cant say much about those.
Actually Evans G2 heads are much more equivalent to Remos Emperor heads. Both are 2 ply, each ply being 7 mils thick for a total thickness of 14 mils. Both heads are available in clear or coated. The Evans equivalent to the Remo coated Ambassador is the G1 coated head. both of those heads are 1 ply, 10 mil coated. Just so you so you have the facts straight when substituting. As I said above, both are quality companies.

Dennis
Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 AM

Very true. G2's are closer to Emperors than Pinstripes, but along the lines of the all-in-one 5 piece pro-packs that the 2 companies offer, the pinstripes fill the same role as the G2's. This was what I was getting at earlier, but it was kind of confusing. My mistake.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 PM

Some Evans heads have a textured surface great for brushes but they are not coated. Instead the surface is etched to form a rough surface. I think it's the J1 heads. There will be no flaking with these. Alternatively, get a clear head and sand it with some rough grit sandpaper. Maybe try this on an old head before you do it to a new head.