DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Default Different Head Sounds / Recommendations

I recently bought a Pearl Rhythm Traveller but the heads on it are a bit questionable.
As they're concert Tom style with only a batter head and only 5's deep I'd like to try and find a skin that has a bit more sustain and can be tuned lower without going floppy / too slack.

Someone mentioned a while ago that between Remo Ambassadors and Emporers, one was a 2 ply skin ie giving it more dampening but I can't remember which was which .... don't know if anyone else knows ????

I swapped over one of the stock skins for a spare Remo Pinstripe I had and it's given that Tom a much better quality sound (the pearl puretones on it sound really cheap and plasticy) but I can't tune it very low and and as it's oil filled as well not much sustain.

Any idea's / input to get closer to the sound I'm after would be much appreciated !!!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Different Head Sounds / Recommendations

For that type of setup my first recomendation would be
coated emperors or coated Evans G2

You'll have planty of attack with that shallow one head config
but the coated 2ply head will give you more warmth/depth
and allow you to tune lower than a 1 ply head.

Coated ambassadors (1ply) will give you more volume.

My vote is for a coated head.

If you liked the pinstripe on there - I'd suggest
Evans Ec2 - simlar dampeneing character but
more sustain than the pinstripe
Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 AM
Gold Member

Emperor's or G2's will probably give you the sound you're looking for, however I find those to be more "standard" as they are very commonly used. If you want to experiment with some different more unique heads, you might get an even better sound. Some I'd recommend are...

Remo Smooth White emperor - Still an emperor, but with a smooth white finish (different from coated). This will give you a slighty darker sound, if that's what you're looking for, and they also look cooler than coated.

Remo Fiberskyn 3 Ambassador - If you play jazz, this is an ideal choice. Fiberskyn 3's are great jazz heads and the ambassador has all the sound characteristics you're looking for. If you don't play jazz though, I'd go with the smooth white emperor's.

Evans G Plus (clear or coated) - These are one ply heads, but my drum teacher has the coated and you can tune them very low, while still getting a crisp musical tone, without being floppy. Not sure about the clear's, but the coated version definitely has those sound characteristics.

Although Emperor's and G2's both sound great, these are some more diverse and unique options.
I think a lot of people overlook heads, and just get the common emperor over ambassador combo. However with different combo's of heads, you can achieve some very cool sounds!
Hope this helped!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

Many thanks for the replies, I've ordered the Emporers !!!!!