DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 AM

Default Remo Ebony Pinstripes vs. Black Suede Emporers vs. Ebony Ambassadors

When it comes time to upgrade heads, I want to get black heads, because the look absolutely sick. I'm a Remo man myself, I like the sound and quality and durability, and Evans is just so dang expensive. This narrows my choice between Remo's Ebony Pinstripes, Black Suede Emporers, and their Ebony Ambassadors. All are 2-ply(I believe) which is good, and vary in thickness. In your opinion, which is the best choice and best sound?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Remo Ebony Pinstripes vs. Black Suede Emporers vs. Ebony Ambassadors

Ebony Ambassadors are a one ply head.

Ebony Pinstripes, Black Suede Emporers are both 2 ply.

Ebony Pinstripes are going to have the most dead sound of the three. While they look nice, in my opinion, they sound terrible.

That should narrow it down for you.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Remo Ebony Pinstripes vs. Black Suede Emporers vs. Ebony Ambassadors

Well ebony heads are most commonly used for the resonant side (ambassador for toms, PS3 for bass). I don't think either of those models would sound too good on the batter. The pinstripe is bad unless you're going for an incredibly dark sound. Never heard the ebony suede, but that could work as a snare head I guess.

I'd go black suede though. I would do Black X (specifically designed for snare) on the snare, Black suede PS3 on the bass, and either ambassadors (higher pitched) or emperors (lower pitched) on the toms, depending on your preference.

If you really want to go all black, finish it off with Ebony ambassadors on the resonant sides for toms, ebony P3S's for resonant side on bass, and a black suede snare side for resonant snare head.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

i have Ebony Pinstripes on my Imps. had the Black X on snare.

the Black X has a great crack, but also a weird rubbery sound. kinda like a low-tuned rubber ball without the ping that accompanies a bouncing ball. imagine if you could ĻhearĻ a trampoline. thatīs what it sounds like. great crack though. but expect a deep boingggggg.

Ebony Pins - offer a loss of volume and donīt project as well as other heads to my ears and may be harder to tune. they arenīt awful though. the coating is similar to patent leather so expect more attack noise. and the coating will wear away within a week in the spot you hit host. i think they are the best looking head out there...until you start to play them.

the Black X coating wears away too. and my top ply tore within a week. once the coating wears away on the Ebony Pins, they look just like the Black X. matte, rather than the shiny patent leather it starts out as. but only in the area of your hits.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Hmm, thanks for the input everyone. I think I've made all my choices. Tell me what you guys think:

Black Suede Emperor Tom Pack
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ack?sku=620716

Black X Snare Head
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ead?sku=482699

Powerstroke Black Suede Bass Drum Head
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ead?sku=482823

Ebony Resonant Heads with Hazy Ambassador Resonant Snare Head
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ead?sku=446709

Thats every head except for the bass drum resonant, but thats not exactly necissary and I like the big Tama logo on mine, so I'll keep it.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rides are awesome View Post
Hmm, thanks for the input everyone. I think I've made all my choices. Tell me what you guys think:

Black Suede Emperor Tom Pack
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ack?sku=620716

Black X Snare Head
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ead?sku=482699

Powerstroke Black Suede Bass Drum Head
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ead?sku=482823

Ebony Resonant Heads with Hazy Ambassador Resonant Snare Head
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ead?sku=446709

Thats every head except for the bass drum resonant, but thats not exactly necissary and I like the big Tama logo on mine, so I'll keep it.
Those look like some great choices. I've never played the Black X, but I imagine it's somewhat similar to the emperor X, which is very durable and great for hard rock and metal.
Black suede emperor's might actually be my next tom heads, they sound great too.
I myself just ordered a black suede PS3, as I was somewhat disappointed with the powersonic.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
Those look like some great choices. I've never played the Black X, but I imagine it's somewhat similar to the emperor X, which is very durable and great for hard rock and metal.
Black suede emperor's might actually be my next tom heads, they sound great too.
I myself just ordered a black suede PS3, as I was somewhat disappointed with the powersonic.
The Black X is the Emporer X in a black suede finish. It sounds very nice from the sounds demos I've heard. And I'm in love with the Black Suede Emperors on the toms, those sound amazing.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rides are awesome View Post
The Black X is the Emporer X in a black suede finish. It sounds very nice from the sounds demos I've heard. And I'm in love with the Black Suede Emperors on the toms, those sound amazing.
Yes the only problem that I've heard about with the black X is too much overtones, but that could easily be solved with an o-ring or a moongel.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
Yes the only problem that I've heard about with the black X is too much overtones, but that could easily be solved with an o-ring or a moongel.
I've heard that too. I need a Remo tone control ring for my snare anyways, so it shouldnt be a problem to pick one up