DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 AM

Default Aquarian heads on a vintage kit! Advice needed.

So, the Evans EC2s on my toms have finally crapped the bed and well, the fiberskyn on my bass drum is over 30 years old; I think it's safe to say I'm in the market for new heads!
After having gone down the road with Remo, and then with Evans, I feel like I haven't gotten anywhere I really want to be. I figured now would be a good time to move on and give another brand a try, that brand being Aquarian.
I'm running a 70s Slingerland in 12/16/24 with a 7x12" main snare and 2x13" aux. snare. I love to have low end presence from my floor toms but also a still well defined punch. From my bass, I like to hit people in the chest, but it also has to be focused enough to cut through. And from my snare; sensitive and cracking.
I feel like I just threw out a lot of contradictions, but if anybody could give me any help on head selections it would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I know my snare sizes are unconventional. A small deep snare for my main snare and a, still small, piccolo for my aux., but I love them both to death.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 AM
Banned

Default Re: Aquarian heads on a vintage kit! Advice needed.

American vintage should do the trick.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...vintage-series
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Gold Member

Since it's really all I've tried I have to suggest the Modern Vintage. They're warm and dark, and have a really wide tuning range. Tuned low you get a nice tubby smack, but they still sound rich when tuned up high.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

American Vintage differ in their sizes because many older drums are under size. Pretty much the same heads but with a smaller collar.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:18 AM

Normal heads have been seating fine as far as I know on my Slingerlands? Would they seat better with the American vintage? And are the American vintage heads warm?

Also, would American and Modern vintage be applicable to all my drums?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 AM

Sorry for the double post, but looking at snare reso heads on the page you linked me, they don't offer any in 12" and 13". And I'm kind of clueless towards reso heads in that series period. I'd imagine the vintage thin would be a good option.
Thanks for all the help! And if anything outside of this series sounds right, please let me know. I'm clueless in regards to Aquarian heads.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap'n View Post
Normal heads have been seating fine as far as I know on my Slingerlands? Would they seat better with the American vintage? And are the American vintage heads warm?

Also, would American and Modern vintage be applicable to all my drums?

They are warm indeed. Beautiful heads. My all time favorites.

As for seating? I don't know your particular drums. I advise taking them to the shop and trying them out. The only difference is in the collar.

The info is here: http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...vintage-series
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Gold Member

The Modern Vintage and American Vintage heads use the same film and coating. The American Vintage heads are slightly oversized for older vintage drums. I don't think 70s Slingerlands are nearly old enough to qualify, especially if you say you don't have any issue seating regular heads from other makers.

For snare side I really like the Hi-Performance head, which is available in 12" and 13" sizes. They're designed to be more durable by laminating an extra layer of material where the ends of the snare wires sit. The durability isn't really a concern for me, but I find that extra material makes the head slightly more rigid which seems to make the drum more crisp and sensitive.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
The Modern Vintage and American Vintage heads use the same film and coating. The American Vintage heads are slightly oversized for older vintage drums.

I know but was unable to sit an American Vintage on a Sonor Designer snare of mine.

Weird.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!
Right now I'm looking at possibly getting:
12x8 Modern Vintage Thin Weight Coated/Modern Vintage Thing Weight Coated
16x16 Modern Vintage Thin Weight Coated/Modern Vintage Thing Weight Coated
24x14 Modern Vintage Bass Drum Head w/ Felt Strip Coated/Modern Vintage Bass Drum Head w/ Felt Strip Coated
And for my 7x12 and 2x13 snares I'm looking at the Hi-Performance heads for Snare side but I'm lost for the batter head. I want it to be sensitive but still able to cut and crack relatively well.

I'm also worried that these bass drum and and tom heads won't allow my drums to cut through louder/heavier (not really heavy, but heavy nonetheless) music. Is that a fear I can put down?
Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
And for my 7x12 and 2x13 snares I'm looking at the Hi-Performance heads for Snare side but I'm lost for the batter head. I want it to be sensitive but still able to cut and crack relatively well.

I'm also worried that these bass drum and and tom heads won't allow my drums to cut through louder/heavier (not really heavy, but heavy nonetheless) music. Is that a fear I can put down?
Thanks for all the help!
I'm using the Modern Vintage on my snare, and really like it there too. I play a 14x8" that's plenty sensitive and still cuts when I tune it up on the high side. I think on a snare the Vintage heads are the most versatile. They're like a coated Ambassador with a more complex tone and coating that doesn't come off.

However, on toms the Vintage heads are on the mellow side. All that warmth and darkness takes away some of the cut common in plastic heads because they're trying not to sound like a typical plastic head.

I think if you want some of the warmth of the Vintage heads but keep some brightness for cut and projection I'd put a Classic Clear on the bottom of the toms.

I really can't speak about the Modern Vintage bass heads, since I'm still using Evans EQ heads on my bass drum. I'm guessing a Modern Vintage front and back might not quite give you the attack you're looking for, but I really don't know for sure.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 AM

Alright. Given what I've read from you guys and elsewhere, I've finally settled on these heads thus far:
Modern Vintage Medium Weight/Classic Clear for my 12 and 16" toms.
Modern Vintage Medium Weight/Aquarian Hi-Performance for my 12 and 13" snares.

BUT I'm still conflicted on my bass drums. I'm looking at maybe a SPK I/Modern Vintage With Felt Strip, but I'm worried that may be TOO muffled. Or maybe just muffled enough. I'm not sure. I'm also looking at a Full Force/Modern Vintage With Felt Strip to ease my fears of over muffling, because if that's not enough I'll just throw a blanket inside or something.
I'm going to have to take the plunge on this one eventually but I'm still thinking, haha.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Alright. Given what I've read from you guys and elsewhere, I've finally settled on these heads thus far:
Modern Vintage Medium Weight/Classic Clear for my 12 and 16" toms.
Modern Vintage Medium Weight/Aquarian Hi-Performance for my 12 and 13" snares.

BUT I'm still conflicted on my bass drums. I'm looking at maybe a SPK I/Modern Vintage With Felt Strip, but I'm worried that may be TOO muffled. Or maybe just muffled enough. I'm not sure. I'm also looking at a Full Force/Modern Vintage With Felt Strip to ease my fears of over muffling, because if that's not enough I'll just throw a blanket inside or something.
I'm going to have to take the plunge on this one eventually but I'm still thinking, haha.
You could do the MV heads on both sides of the kick...or take the muffling ring off the SK head.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 AM

I'm thinking that with what I want from the bass drum, I need to skip the MV entirely.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:06 AM

I think I'm going to go with the SKI/Modern Vintage w/ the felt strip.
Takin' the plunge.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Banned

I hope you like the heads. Really when it all comes down to it we have to outlay the cash and try it for ourselves. I have been very happy with Aquarian. But it took me years to finally go there.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM

I'll be reporting back on what I think. Possibly with a sound clip too.